Three

Down We Go

 

Haneul’s family was dead.

Kyungsoo’s family was dead.

Jongdae’s family was dead.

Chanyeol’s family was dead.

Baekhyun’s family was nowhere to find.

Jongin’s family was living on the country side.

That was Jongin’s only hope for them to still being alive. He couldn’t know for sure, though. So Jongin wired cars – Haneul didn’t even know he could do that and thought she didn’t want to know why he was able to do that – for them to be able to move faster. Now that there was the state of complete chaos, traffic rules weren’t important anymore, either. He sped along the streets, praying that his family was still alive. The deafening silence as everyone else was still processing the information they had received throughout these last days wasn’t making anything better, having already processed the zombie apocalypse but not their families’ fates.

It didn’t get a lot livelier when they picked up three people in need, those three also being lost in thought, in complete shock or too sad to talk at all. The first two people they picked up were two girls who apparently just lost their friends, running away from some Walkers. Seulgi and Irene were their names. They looked somewhat shell-shocked. Before they arrived at Jongin’s hometown, they picked up a guy called Sunggyu, who got separated from his friends as they were running away from a group of zombies, too. “These are terrible times,” was the only thing he had been able to say as he got into one of the cars before he fell into a stupor of complete silence, too, looking outside the window, watching zombies passing them by as they tried to grab for the car, which Jongin perfectly avoided. It made Sunggyu wonder how old Jongin was, being such a good driver but looking like he wasn’t allowed to be in possession of a driver’s license yet. Was that even their car? Well, Sunggyu couldn’t care less about that at that moment since it most definitely had saved his a**.

 

Sunggyu definitely didn’t imagine it to be over so soon. For him, that was.

Not even five minutes being in that house that allegedly belonged to Jongin’s family and they were attacked. He had teamed up with Minseok as everyone insisted that nobody should venture around by themselves. But it seemed that that didn’t mean much. Rounding the corner on the top floor into a room with the door standing wide open, Minseok and Sunggyu were attacked the moment they had set foot in that room. Thanks to his quick reflexes, Minseok was able to jump away fast enough, but Sunggyu didn’t even register what was happening until the flesh on his shoulder got chewed off. He stared at Minseok wide-eyed as he felt hands grab him and drag him to the floor, Minseok moving in his general direction. There wasn’t much Minseok had been able to do, either, as he got dragged down by two little girls.

Being on the top floor, Jongin, Chanyeol and Haneul were the first ones to react to their screams and ran to the room. Haneul’s eyes widened when she saw the two of them lying on the floor, the zombies (that once used to be Jongin’s family) eating away at their bodies. Sunggyu’s eyes had already turned to the back of his head while Minseok was still able to shakily mouth to them to run away. Haneul wanted to scream but Chanyeol covered , his eyes revealing his inner fight not to scream and cry himself. Jongin quickly reacted by closing the door once one of his former family members locked eyes with him. “Get out. Now,” he grabbed Haneul’s wrist and dragged her along, Chanyeol letting out a small yelp as his hand suddenly got ripped away from Haneul’s mouth. As soon as the gurgling noises became louder on the other side of the door did Chanyeol break into a run, not wanting to wait to see the faces of their predators. “Everyone! Get out!” Jongin meanwhile screamed to everyone in the house to get out, having lost his hope, too.

He held back his tears as he ran out of the house, holding tightly onto Haneul.

 

Nowhere was a safe place.

Nowhere was a place they could rest in for long enough.

Nowhere felt safe.

Nowhere.

 

They had managed to stay alive for another three months without losing someone else until they scouted another building in hope to be able to stay for a longer time. “I still can’t believe we lost Minseok,” Haneul’s eyes dropped as her voice turned solemn. A sigh could be heard from behind her. “Me neither,” Chanyeol, standing behind Haneul protectively, admitted. “I always thought he’d be the last one to die in an apocalypse.” Stopping short, Haneul furrowed her brows, turning around to the tall man.

“No, that would be Jongin.” Chanyeol’s face contorted.

“Why him?”

“Because he’s smart. He always knows what to do.”

“So I’m stupid?” Haneul only furrowed her brows at him, looking at him like him thinking that could offend her.

“No, I’m just saying that I think Jongin would be able to survive the longest.”

“I don’t think so.”

“Well, I do think I’m right.”

“No sorry, if you were right, I’d agree with you, obviously.”

Haneul punched his shoulder, a small smile appearing on her lately solemn-looking face. “Yeah, sorry. I forgot you were the genius who knew everything,” she rolled her eyes, her smile widening. “At least that made you smile.” Chanyeol’s gaze dropped, looking a little more content than before. “You haven’t smiled once these past months.” She disbelievingly snorted as she turned around to keep walking, her long, black hair pulled up so it didn't sway around like it normally would do – like it had been these past months as she didn’t want to have to cut it. “Yeah, sorry I don’t take this situation as a joke.” “I didn’t mean it like that,” Chanyeol immediately defended, stepping forward. Before any of the two could open their mouths again, a blood curling scream could be heard. They both stopped short, turning to look at each other with eyes opened wide like never before.

Baekhyun!” they screamed in unison before they bolted for the staircase.

 

Jongin had never thought that he would have to do such a horrible thing. Never.

Having to shoot a zombie – who used to be someone you never knew – wasn’t a hard thing to do anymore.

But shooting a zombie that used to be one of your best friends was one of the hardest things to do. Ever.

The moment Chanyeol and Haneul had arrived at the scene, Baekhyun was already turning after it only took them two seconds to take down the Walker who had bitten him. While they – Chanyeol and Jongin (who arrived a second later) – had been arguing about what their next step should be, Haneul sat with Baekhyun, talking to him in an attempt to calm him down. In reality, she was just trying to calm herself down. “God, please. Baekhyun, stay with me. Do you hear me? Stay with me, please,” she almost started sobbing as she begged more and more for time to turn back. At one point, she wasn’t able to see her friend’s face anymore because of her tears. “Haneul!” she only heard Chanyeol scream out her name before there was a gunshot.

Baekhyun had already fully turned seconds ago.

 



quote prompt #6: I'm sorry, if you were right, I'd agree with you. - Robin Williams