Chapter One

Halcyon

Part of it was boredom; the other part was his father’s insistence. And so, Inseong found himself standing in the porch of a mansion up in the mountains, the huge, wooden double door suddenly intimidating him.

He took a deep breath and focused on the intricate carvings on the door, the delicate loops and patterns slowly calming him. He lifted his hand wanting to trace the patterns when the door suddenly opened. A guy about his age was standing in the doorway, the huge smile on his face making his dimples more prominent.

“Kim In Seong, you’re here! Welcome! Welcome! Please come in!” the guy said gesturing for him to come inside the house.

The inside of the mansion looks a lot warmer that it does on the outside. The walls were made of wood (or maybe they just look like one) and it gives the entire place a cozy glow. His eyes immediately caught three of the painting hung around the living room and he was getting an itch to take a closer look. But first,

“I’m sorry, do I know you?” Inseong asked.

The guy looked at him for a few seconds, mouth hanging a bit in disbelief.  “Woah, they were right about you, Inseong-ssi. You really are a cold prince.” The guy answered.

Inseong remained silent. He knew about that nickname and somehow, he loved and loathed it at the same time.

“Anyway, I’ll give you a pass since we’re not actually in the same class,” the guy replied, emphasizing the last two words.

“I’m Lee Jae Yoon. Honey voice Lee Jae Yoon. I’m sure you know about me?”

“Ahh, you’re the one who sometimes sings in the school’s radio broadcasts, right? Yes, yes. I think I wrote about you in last year’s paper,” Inseong replied, finally recognizing the guy.

Jaeyoon smiled more brightly at that. “Anyway, welcome to the Lodge! The official summer residence of the Kangs!" he said gesturing to the entire place.

"Ah, yes. So, uh, where is Kang Chani? I would like to see him, please," Inseong said. 

Jaeyoon's face darkened for a second but Inseong managed to catch the miniscule change. "He's out right now. They'll probably be back before dinner. In the meantime, i'll give you a tour of the place if you like." 

"Yes," Inseong answered. "That would be great. and you said they? Exactly how many are they?"

"Oh, Chani's with Rowoon and Youngbin right now. Oh, and by the way, including you, there are now nine of us living in here! Isn't that fun?!" Jaeyoon said as they climbed up the stairs.

"Nine of us..." Inseong whispered.