Nine

Your name on my skin
Please log in to read the full chapter

Kyung spends way too long running through the different options in his mind. Minhyuk doesn’t press, just waits patiently as Kyung fiddles with his thumbs and consider whether he should save himself the heartache and insist that he doesn’t like Minhyuk if not for Minhyuk having his name on his body (like he had said earlier in Jaehyo’s apartment), or whether he should take a chance and say what he really feels, which is a hot mess of complicated things he hasn’t even begun to sort out himself. Maybe it’s the sincerity he sees in Minhyuk’s eyes, or maybe what Jaehyo has said has finally rubbed off him, because when Kyung opens his mouth, the words that leave it aren’t exactly what he had expected to say.

“I honestly don’t know.”

It’s the truth, but not all of it. When Minhyuk merely nods, waiting for him to elaborate, Kyung decides that maybe it’s time for him to stop running away and face his problems (so he’s kind of taking Jiho’s advice but whatever). Taking a deep breath, Kyung says what he needs to in a rush before he chickens out.

“I kind of like you, but I don’t know if it’s because you have my name on your body or not. Like you said, I subscribe to the notion of the names being soulmates so even if I don’t want to, the thought creeps into my decisions, so I can’t tell you for sure if I like you because of it, or in spite of it.”

He probably sounded lame, but Kyung had run out of words (and out of breath). He’s not even sure if Minhyuk caught all of it, although now that he’s said it aloud, Kyung kind of just wants to dig a hole in the ground and bury himself in it. He’s staring at his sneakers, avoiding Minhyuk’s gaze, when the guy clears his throat.

“Thank you, Kyung, for telling me what you think.”

Kyung’s still looking at the ground, and he thinks that’s all Minhyuk’s going to say, until the guy adds, “Maybe…”

(Maybe…? Maybe what?)

“…maybe we should do this the old-fashion way. Date for a while and find out.”

Minhyuk’s words have him exhale a long breath he hadn’t even realized he was holding, but there’s a relief in the tightness of his chest when Kyung finally peeks out from under his lashes to look at Minhyuk.

(He’s smiling. They both are.)

“Okay.”

 

 

Minhyuk on a date is very different from Minhyuk when he’s a flat mate, Kyung learns. Not that he’s staying in Jaehyo’s apartment anymore, so it’s not like they’re still flat mates. Sharing an apartment with Jiho again is kind of weird, but in some other ways, it seems to be the most natural thing, even if they argue as much as they help each other out around the house. Also, here, he has a proper room, instead of bumming around in the living room of Jaehyo’s apartment. It kind of that Minhyuk’s further from him because they stay at different places, but maybe some distance apart makes the dating more enjoyable (at least, that’s what Jaehyo had said). Kyung’s just changing into a nice shirt when the doorbell rings and through the door, he can hear Jiho call out, “Just a moment!”

Kyung finishes buttoning his shirt, going into the living room to see a smartly dressed Minhyuk, hair slicked back and grinning cheekily, already wearing indoor slippers after Jiho had let him in. It’s not their first date, but it’s the first one where they’re going to a nicer restaurant on the pricier side of Seoul, and Jiho rolls his eyes dramatically from where he’s standing, before he announces that he’s going to make himself scarce. Kyung ignores him, still focused on Minhyuk, and he feels his cheeks rising as the smile comes unconsciously.

(It’s silly, why he’s so excited and happy to see the guy when he’s only just met him yesterday.)

“Hey.”

“Hey back at you.”

Behind them, Jiho (who’s still loitering even though he’s supposed to be in his room already) makes fake gagging noises, and Minhyuk just chuckles, then faux whispers, “I guess that’s our hint to get out of Jiho’s hair.”

Kyung answers with a laugh, letting his hands interlace with Minhyuk’s as they walk to the shoe rack, not letting go even as he struggles to put on his shoes with only one hand.

 

 

It’s been a month since they started dating casually. There’re no promises of it being something more, just a period for Kyung and Minhyuk to know each other better, and see if they like each other and want something more, regardless of the whole name thing. It’s not easy, Kyung thinks. He’s pretty sure he likes Minhyuk’s company, but he still doesn’t know how much of his feelings are influenced by the fact that he knows Minhyuk has his name on his back. They’re on the couch in Jaehyo’s apartment, watching some movie they’re streaming off the Internet on the television screen, and Kyung’s lying mostly on Minhyuk’s chest when he says, “Hyung.”

“Yeah?”

“I still don’t know, you know.”

“Don’t know what?” Minhyuk’s turned his attention away from the television now, peering at Kyung and lightly ruffling Kyung’s hair.

“Don’t know if I like you in spite of my name being on your skin.”

“Oh,” Minhyuk answers, too short for Kyung to know what he’s thinking.

(Maybe it’s a mistake to say it so openly, to ruin the comfortable mood they had earlier. But Kyung’s good at those, isn’t he?)

There’s a light press on his shoulder, bringing him back to look at Minhyuk, and Kyung blinks.

“What were you thinking?”

“Nothing,” Kyung answers too quickly, but relents when Minhyuk gives him a knowing look. “Fine, it was something. I was thinking maybe I ruined the date mood by bringing that up.”

Minhyuk brings a hand around Kyung’s waist, pulling him closer and Kyung fits himself against Minhyuk’s chest. This he understands. The physical contact, the way their bodies move and fit together. What he doesn’t get is the rest of it. The feeling bits, what they really think about each other, and he sighs without realizing. Minhyuk does though, nuzzling his nose into Kyung’s hair, holding him closer still.

After a long while, Minhyuk quietly says, “To be honest, I don’t know for myself either. Whether I like you just because or…”

Minhyuk doesn’t finish his sentence but Kyung knows what he means anyway. He’s not sure what to say in response, so he doesn’t. Minhyuk doesn’t seem to need an answer anyway, the way he tilts Kyung’s chin up slowly but firmly to look at him properly

Please log in to read the full chapter