Five

Your name on my skin
Please log in to read the full chapter

The days pass by quickly in a rush of school work and assignment deadlines that Kyung has postponed doing (and had subsequently forgotten about until 2 days before they’re due). He’s trying to get Matlab to work, and cursing himself for skipping on the lectures for the software, because even if he’s really good at the math, he can’t use this computer program for , and he nearly tears his hair out trying to learn the software in time so he can complete his proof before the deadline. Jaehyo and Minhyuk leave him alone to stew in his work, because this is college, and everyone has their own terrible deadlines to handle without helping each other, although they at least make sure that he eats his three meals and shower once a day.

When he finally submits his assignments, and can sleep properly without having to worry about computer coding messing up his equations for the n-th time, Kyung hurries home to his couch (oh beautiful bed), ready to sleep until the end of time (okay, maybe that’s a bit too dramatic), but he sees Jaehyo in the living room, watching some random show, and he slumps a little.

“Hyung, can I sleep?” Kyung whines, feet moving by themselves to the couch, where he takes a seat beside Jaehyo.

“Hmm? Yeah, sure, you can use my bed because I’m watching tv right now. But please shower first so you don’t dirty my sheets.”

Feeling half regretful that he can’t just lie on the couch immediately, and half thankful that he’ll get to sleep on a proper bed for once, Kyung hurries to the bathroom for a shower, quickly cleaning himself so he can finally lie down and sleep. But the shower ends up making him feel wide awake, and Kyung’s not sure if he should continue his initial plan of napping until someone wakes him up for dinner, or sit down and chill with Jaehyo for a while, because he hasn’t talked to his friend properly the last few days.

He ends up just sitting beside Jaehyo while he dries his hair, deciding to go with the flow, because his brain’s too tired to think. There’s a slight grunt from Jaehyo when Kyung leans into his shoulder, resting the back of his head against Jaehyo’s chest but his friend doesn’t push him off, so Kyung just lays there, eyelids closing even though he’s no longer really sleepy.

“Kyung, are you asleep?”

“Not really. You’re nice and warm, hyung.”

“Haha, well, not everyone thinks that’s a good thing though. Anyway, you seem tired, why don’t you go and sleep in my room?”

“Mmm,” Kyung mumbles, not sure if he wants to. He’s found a comfortable position half leaning on Jaehyo, and he doesn’t really want to move.

“Fine, stay here if you want,” Jaehyo sighs, but he doesn’t sound annoyed, just amused, so Kyung stays where he is.

There’s a few moments of silence, and Kyung might have drifted off for a few seconds, but a thought suddenly came to his mind, and he’s speaking before he realizes what he’s saying. “Hyung, Minhyuk hyung has a name on his skin right? Do you know whose name it is?”

Jaehyo shifts behind him at the question, and Kyung sits up because he’s lost the comfortable spot he had been laying on, turning to look at Jaehyo face to face instead. Jaehyo’s tilting his head, words coming out slowly when he replies, “Yeah, Minhyuk hyung has a name on his body, but as to whose name it is… it’s not my information to give away, so you’ll have to ask him if you want to know.”

“Oh… I did ask. But he didn’t tell me,” Kyung mutters, before he stands up and announces that he’s going to sleep in Jaehyo’s room. Jaehyo doesn’t comment on the abrupt end in conversation, just waves him a bye and returns his attention to his television program.

 

 

In school the next day, Kyung’s looking at the dark evening sky outside, realizing that he hasn’t gotten back to Jiho’s to take his remaining things because he has been so busy the last week. He had spent most of his afternoon in the library, trying to find information for some presentation he has to do soon, and it’s now past dinner time. With the borrowed reference books in his bag, it’s not like Kyung can carry more things home even if he heads over to Jiho’s apartment now, so he decides to leave the task for another day. He’s about to just head home, until he remembers that it’s a Wednesday.

Right. Don’t go back until after 11.

He can do that this time. So Kyung spends as long as he can in a cheap diner near school, eating leisurely, and then walking around to find some café so he can study while waiting. He forgets the time while poring over complex math theorems that he’s supposed to somehow understand and present to his course mates (honestly, Kyung wonders if lecturers make students do such presentations so they don’t have to teach the topics themselves). It’s only when the girl behind the counter comes up to him, and tell him that the café is closing does Kyung pack his books up to leave.

He checks his phone. It’s 10.29pm. Figuring that he’ll get home closer to after 11 if he walks instead of taking a bus, Kyung sets off at a slow and comfortable pace through the streets. He doesn’t realize he’s picking up speed and walking at his usual one (which is pretty fast, because he’s almost always running late for lessons while going around campus) until he finds himself outside Jaehyo’s apartment block, and sees that it’s only 10.51pm.

Guess I’ll just sit here and wait again, Kyung thinks, finding the same bench he had sat on just last week, keeping an eye out for either the pink haired girl or the bright-eyed boy he had seen before. There are a few people who pass in and out of the lift lobby, but Kyung pays them no heed because they’re neither of the two he’s looking out for, only checking his phone after a while to check if it’s 11 yet. When he sees 11:08 on his phone screen, Kyung’s surprised.

Huh, I didn’t see either the girl or guy come down, did I? Anyway, it’s after 11 so it should be safe to go up now. Kyung climbs the steps up to Jaehyo’s apartment, and keys in the passcode to unlock the door himself. Jaehyo had texted him the passcode last Wednesday night, after their conversation about Kyung staying, and he’s starting to feel like this is his place now, even if he’s only been here for a week or so. Minhyuk’s in t

Please log in to read the full chapter