Chapter 2 - The Butterfly Effect

A Tryst Beyond Destiny

 (967 AD, 18th year of Gwangjong’s reign)

Ju’s grip on the sword tightened. His knees threatened to give way and the tip of his sword sank deeper into the ground as he used it to steady himself. Sweat poured from his brow as he looked down and exhaled, the weariness catching up to him. But the next moment, he threw his head up, shook off the sweat from his drenched mane and leapt towards the tall man standing nonchalantly a few feet away, right hand lightly gripping a heavy sword. Uncle Jung was one of the very best. Tales of his exploits against the Khitan when he was a Grand General were legendary. No one would dare to challenge him to a duel except Ju because no one could expect to win such a duel.... except maybe his father. That was exactly why Ju had been challenging Uncle Jung to a fight every chance he got. If he could defeat the legendary General Jung, maybe his father would notice. Maybe, just maybe, he would look him in the eye and smile at him..... the way he smiled when he saw Uncle Baek Ah or THAT girl. At the thought of her, anger mixed in with the frustration deep rooted in his heart and Ju roared as he attacked Jung with all his force.

Jung parried the blow but it took him by surprise and pushed him back a few paces. A flurry of reckless and a minute later, Ju found himself doubled down on the ground completely spent, still gripping his sword for support. His lips spread in a wry smile as he glanced up and noticed Uncle Jung breathing heavily and inspecting himself for damage. He was getting better. In a few years, he will beat Uncle Jung and then challenge his father. If he can’t have his father’s love, he will earn his respect. “Abunnim”, a bright voice called from behind him. Ju glanced up to see Jung looking shocked and flustered. SHE was here. His grip tightened on his sword and he felt anger rise within him. He forced himself to stand up. He had only caught glimpses of her in the past. His father and Uncle Jung did everything in their power to keep her from meeting anyone important in the palace. There was speculation and rumors around the palace that she is too old to be Uncle Jung’s daughter from his current marriage. At the same time, there are no records of him having any children from his first marriage. So who exactly was she? Ju decided in that instant that he will solve this puzzle today and find out first-hand just what was so special about this girl. She might not even be royalty. What right did she have to spend so much time with the Emperor of Goryeo when his own son struggled to hold his attention for more than a few seconds? Ju turned around as hatred coursed like poison through his veins. Mother speculated that the girl might be the spawn of that lowly court lady who snared not 1 or 2 but 4 princes before finally marrying Uncle Jung. Maybe she was extremely beautiful and conniving, Ju reasoned.

As he turned around, he saw a petite girl bounding down the stairs, her hair flying in all directions and eyes shining with happiness. There was an unrestrained joy about her that he had never seen or felt before. The world suddenly seemed to become brighter and more beautiful. She gave him a dazzling smile as she ran past him and hugged Uncle Jung. Ju forced himself to look away. “There’s nothing special about her”, he told himself. She is not even that beautiful; only slightly prettier than average. But his eyes seemed to seek her out against his will as she spoke animatedly to Uncle Jung who tried to spirit her away before the Queen noticed her presence. That was when he saw her hairpin – a flower with a butterfly sitting on it. That is what she is, he realized with a start. A beautiful butterfly that makes you notice the flowers around you. He was shocked at how much he wanted to stop Uncle Jung from taking her away. He watched helplessly as they walked away from him until they turned a corner and she was out of his sight. “She is special”, Ju finally admitted to himself.