Chapter 18 - When Dreams Come True

A Tryst Beyond Destiny

(972 AD, 23rd year of Gwangjong's reign)

 

As he watched his mother pacing back and forth, grinding her teeth and seething with anger, Ju thought back to the conversation he had with his father a couple of weeks earlier.

He had agreed to the King’s plan more because of lack of other options and because he was overjoyed to have his father in his corner than with any real expectation that it would actually work.

Queen Daemok stopped pacing, clutched her chest and collapsed into a chair. As the sharp pain in her chest eased, she opened her eyes and looked at her son kneeling before her with concern written all over his face. She forced a smile and told him that she was alright.

Then with steely determination in her eyes and bitterness in her voice, she said, “You have to marry Yoo Seol.”

 

 

(Flash back - 2 weeks earlier in the King’s chamber)

 

“It’s not that simple. Even if I issue a royal decree, Jung will defy me and then I would have no option but to punish him and that will be the end of the already tenuous influence I have over the Yoo clan. Then there is your mother. She will burn down all of Songak before she lets you marry Seol.”

With knit eyebrows, King Gwangjong glanced up at his son. He scowled when he saw the smile spreading across Ju’s face.

King Gwangjong had been trying to drive home the point that Ju’s quest to marry the girl he loved was beyond impossible. However, in doing so, instead of despair, he had given Ju more hope because the very words that were meant to be discouraging had ended up revealing that the King himself was not entirely opposed to the idea.

“Stop grinning. I’m not happy with this situation either. I have always preferred to keep Seol out of the political quagmire that is Songak.”

“Yes, your majesty.”

Ju nodded his head and tried to suppress his smile but failed miserably. He had been splashing around in the roaring waters, trying to swim against the current, grasping at straws and coming up empty for so long that even a tentative yes from his father made him feel ecstatic. He still had a long way to go but with the King of Goryeo on his side, Ju felt that finally he had a real chance.

King Gwanjong let out a deep sigh.

“As I was saying, this is a sticky situation with no easy solution. But if you are willing to trust me and take a long, tortuous path, maybe I can get Queen Daemok and Jung to come up with the proposal themselves and ask that you marry Seol. ”


 

(Back to the Queen’s chamber to continue the conversation)

“You have to marry Yoo Seol.”

Even as she said that, Queen Daemok scrunched her brows and wrinkled her nose in distaste, literally spitting out the name of the offspring of her mortal enemy. Ju's eyes grew as wide as saucers. He had not dared to hope for this day despite his father’s supreme confidence in his plan.

“I wish there was another way to get around this situation. Unfortunately, we missed the intent behind your father’s moves and now, we have been checkmated. The Yoos are close to an open revolt and Jung won’t be able to keep them in check much longer. As such, he’s been losing respect with the clan because your father undermines him at every turn. In any case, we have to stabilize the situation and maintain peace until your coronation. A queen each from Silla and Chungju should keep everyone quiet for the time being."

Queen Daemok looked exhausted as she rested her head against the back of the chair. She closed her eyes for a moment before she shook off her lethargy and leaned forward.

"But that’s not what I wanted to talk to you about. Once you become the King, I want you to marry Hwangbo Su. In fact, marry both the Hwangbo girls. That will assure you of the full support of the Hwangbos. My mother knows that the King will never allow it and so she has convinced the Hwangbos to bide their time and stay by your side if you promise to make Hwangbo Su the Queen of Goryeo when you become King."

Ju’s mouth went dry as he heard his mother’s elaborate plan to outmanoeuvre the King.

“Mother, I can’t do that. Even if I do marry her, Su will be my third wife. She cannot be the Queen of Goryeo.”

Queen Daemok gave a short laugh.

“Of course, she can. That girl from Silla intends to become a priestess after the marriage. I don’t have any way of proving it to the Yoo clan but I’m convinced that your father never intended for her to become Queen. That marriage was just a ploy to make Seol the Queen while giving Gyeongsunwang of Silla an opportunity to prance around with self-importance and remind everyone that his family has ruled much of Goryeo for 10 centuries.”

Her eyes blazed with a fire born of hatred as she looked intently at her son.

“Ju, that terrible excuse for a girl can never be the Queen of Goryeo. Jung will convince the King to let him keep his precious daughter in Chunju after the marriage. I have arranged it so that once the wedding ceremony is complete, that girl will never set foot in Songak again.”

She let out a deep sigh and took her son’s hands in hers.

“I know that I don't have much time left and I’m worried that Jung might not be as insistent about keeping his daughter away from the throne if I'm not around anymore. His concern for his daughter's welfare might take a backseat to the furore and greed of the clan elders eventually, especially after I’m gone. I’ve done everything I can but the rest is up to you, son. I need you to grant me my most ardent wish. Don’t let that girl sit on my throne.”

Ju’s eyes were wet with unshed tears as he watched his mother unravel before his eyes with pent up hatred and a quest for revenge.

"Mother, isn't it about time that you let go of the past? The woman's been dead for years and the girl hardly remembers what her mother looked like. Could you not forgive and forget? I wish you could forget all the sorrow and angst of the past and find peace and happiness."

Queen Daemok was surprised by the sincerity and sadness in her son’s voice as he made the plea. Her face softened as she reached out and caressed his young face and tears of anger and frustration sprung to her eyes. She shook her head to dispel the moment of weakness.


“I can't let go. I won't let go of my hatred and you shouldn’t either. That woman and that girl, they took everything else from us. All of your father’s love that should have been ours by right, they took it away. She was nothing, a nobody and yet she pranced around the throne room like she owned it and enjoyed more privileges than the Queen herself. But that woman, no matter how hard she tried, was never Queen. That was my victory. She died as a court lady that no one will remember while I will go down in history as the Queen consort of King Gwangjong. That was my revenge. My throne – I protected it from her until the very end.”

A small smile flickered across the Queen’ face before it contorted with anger.

“Now she’s back from beyond the grave, to claim the throne through that wretched girl - that girl who is the spitting image of her mother.”

Queen Daemok grabbed her son’s hand and her tone grew more desperate with every word.

“My son, you must protect the throne. It was the only thing she couldn’t take away from me and I can’t lose now. I know that it’s a lot to ask for. I know that it will not be easy but don’t worry. Mother will help you. I will ensure that you have the support of as many clans as possible to see this through. So, please promise me, son. Promise me that she'll never be Queen."

Ju remained silent for a very long time before he nodded his head.

"I promise."

 

 

(A month later – Royal wedding of Crown Prince Ju)

 

Yoo Seol carefully folded the blue and red ceremonial robe she had worn that day. A shy smile graced her soft mouth and a pink blush spread across her cheeks as she remembered glancing up during the ceremony at the groom and being rewarded with his bright, disarming smile. He had looked so handsome – her husband. Seol bit her lip and covered her face with her hands. Her husband - those words brought her so much joy. Princess Mun Deok was right - it was truly a dream come true.

That morning while helping Seol with her clothes and make-up, the princess had noticed the red ribbon with gold embroidery in Seol’s hand – the one that Ju gave Seol years ago when they went out to the market place to celebrate the double ninth festival. Seol had wanted to wear the ribbon on her wedding day and the princess had happily incorporated it into a beautiful braid that would support the crown that Seol had worn during the wedding ceremony. Mun Deok had referred to the ribbon as a reminder of the beautiful memories that they shared together and their unattainable dream that had finally come true.

Setting aside the folded clothes and the elaborate headgear, Seol sat down on the bed still dressed in the shimmering white silk robe that had served as the undergarment for the wedding gown. She placed the dagger that her father had given her under the pillow and looked forlornly at the door which stubbornly remained closed. She the red ribbon as she remembered the conversation that she had that morning with Queen Daemok.

“Be sure to get a good look at the groom during the wedding ceremony because you will never see him again. After today, you will never set foot in Songak again.”

Seol had been taken aback by the depth of the hatred that was gleaming in the Queen’s eyes as she breathed those words. The Queen had followed through on her threat. She had suddenly taken ill soon after the ceremony and as per her request, her son had accompanied her to her brother’s home where the Queen would spend the rest of her days with her mother, Queen Hwangbo.

Seol quickly dried the tears that rolled down her eyes. She contemplated that while her dream did come true, she ended up losing what she truly wanted. The next morning, she would leave Songak and would never return. She could no longer visit the palace with her father as she used to and Ju cannot visit her in Chungju very often; or at all if his mother had her way.

Marrying Ju had meant giving up all opportunities to spend time with him - to talk to him, to laugh with him, to climb trees and jump over the walls with him. That reminded her of something Ju had told her years ago - “You should be careful what you wish for. Might just come true."

She smiled through her tears as she lay her head on the soft pillow and closed her eyes, willing herself to sleep.


 

Hours later, Seol was drifting away in troubled sleep when the sound of the closing door awoke her. It took a moment for Seol to find her bearings. She sat up and her fingers gripped the hilt of the dagger hidden under her pillow. She lifted her hand and held the dagger close to her face as her eyes struggled to adjust to the darkness and process the long shadows in the dull moonlight that seeped into the room.

At that moment, the intruder threw his riding cloak across a chair and crossed the room to stand before her bed.

“You are awake”, Ju said with a smile.

“I thought…… I thought you left”, Seol stammered.

“I did but how could I stay away when my wife is all alone and on edge? A dagger? Really? My brave wife was planning to slash the throats of assassins with a dagger?”

With a smile, he sat down close to her and gently pried the dagger off her shaking hand. Drinking in the beauty of her flushed face in soft moonlight, he tucked the loose strands of hair behind her ear. As he did, his eyes fell on the red ribbon that s around her hair.

“That ribbon suits you. Someone with impeccable taste must have given it to you.”

Seol smiled as she touched the ribbon softly. “Of course, it does. And it matches my wedding robes perfectly.”

Ju raised his brows as he eyed the thin silk robe. “It does?” he asked with a sly smile.

Seol turned her face away blushing profusely. “I meant the one I was wearing this morning.”

“Ah…… so…. If it’s no longer matching, maybe you should take it off”, he said softly as he tucked at the white ribbon and the soft white cloth slid off her pale shoulders.