Chapter 15 - The Royal Command

A Tryst Beyond Destiny

(972 AD, 23rd year of Gwangjong's reign)

 

As his name was being announced, Ju closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He told himself that he was being excessively paranoid and that he’ll soon find out that the King had summoned him to entrust him with some mundane, mind-numbing assignment. Yet, he could hear his heart hammering away behind his ribs as he entered the throne room.

The King was on the throne, perusing a scroll. When Ju walked in, he looked up and smiled genially – the kind of pleasant smile that Ju had yearned for all his life. Ironically, at that moment, when Ju’s earliest and deepest desire finally turned into reality, rather than making him ecstatic, it heightened his unease.

His anxiety increased further when he noticed the body language of Prince Baek Ah who was standing beside the King. Baek Ah looked extremely apprehensive, like someone standing rooted to the spot, watching a gathering storm, unable to do anything other than pray that it will blow the other way and fade away without causing any death or destruction.

“Ju, I have finally made a decision regarding your marriage. You are to marry the daughter of Gyeongsunwang of Silla.”

In that instant, Ju felt his chest tighten. His heart was beating erratically and he had trouble breathing as though all the air was being out of his lungs.

The King continued talking about how the Silla royal family was a blue blooded aristocracy that ruled most of the Korean Peninsula for almost 10 centuries until King Taejo merged it into Goryeo and how a marriage alliance with them would aid Ju’s ascension to the throne and give his reign more legitimacy.

Ju looked on in stunned silence and did not hear a word of the political compulsions guiding the decision. His mind was in a haze and he had trouble focusing on any single thought. He knew that he was of marriageable age and had been for a few years and yet he had hoped that he still had time.

The sudden summon from the King did set alarm bells ringing but he did not expected such a huge bolt from the blue. After all, his marriage was not an easy decision to make, with so many different clans lobbying for the privilege of supplying half the chromosomes that’ll make up the next crown prince. On top of that, there hadn’t been so much as a whisper from any of the spies his mother employed.

Did the King of Goryeo decide on the marriage of the crown prince without consulting anyone at all, not even the Queen?

 

“I refuse.”

It was a struggle to get the words out and it took Ju all his strength to finally say it out loud. The King stopped mid-sentence to stare at his son, as though not believing his ears.

“You refuse?” he asked in an even tone, eyebrows raised, the edge in his voice sending a shiver down the backs of all those who heard it.

“Your majesty, you made the decision on who should be the future Queen of Goryeo all by yourself without consulting anyone else, not even your Queen. If you intend to impose your decision on me without giving me any choice, I have to refuse.”

With each word from Ju, King Gwangjong’s eyes became progressively darker and his face took on a murderous hue. Ju noticed Baek Ah trying to draw his attention, shaking his head in warning, his eyes pleading for Ju to stop before it was too late. However, Ju ignored his Uncle and continued to stand his ground.  There was no turning back.

He gulped and surreptitiously dried his sweaty palms by gripping his clothes. By now, his heart beat was so loud that it sounded as though a band of drummers with a penchant for practicing all day moved into his head and decided to live inside his ears.

“Your majesty, to give me a fair chance, I appeal to you to agree to a duel with me. If you win, I will proceed with this marriage without question. If I win, please reconsider this marriage and accede to one of my requests.”

 

King Gwangjong glowered at his son for a very long moment before his anger was replaced by contempt. In a voice dripping with sarcasm, he queried, “And pray tell, what are the terms of this duel? I’m not interested in fighting you with a blunted sword in a tournament ring. It’s not worth my time.”

“How about fighting me on the palace grounds with acuminous swords until one of us concedes defeat or dies? Would that be worth your time?”

While he outlined the terms of the duel, Ju heard a sharp intake of breath as Baek Ah's eyes darted up in alarm. Ju kept his eyes trained on the King, goading him, challenging him.  His father’s expression changed from disdain to quiet appraisal and his smirk progressed into full blown laughter - one that had more malice than mirth in it, and yet Ju’s gaze did not falter.

“Fine, then. Let’s do it at dawn on the day after tomorrow. That should give you one full day to set your affairs in order. You may leave now.”

 

 

Ju only managed to walk a few paces from the throne room before his feet gave way and he had to grab on to a pillar for support. With effort, he reached Lake Dongji, plunked himself down on the grass, closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He lay there with his hands behind his head for a long time, drinking in the serenity surrounding him and waiting for his racing heart to return to a normal pace. 

Baek Ah found him there and sat down next to him. “Are you alright?”

“Mmm”, Ju responded with a slight nod and a tight smile before sitting up and dusting off his palms.

Baek Ah gave a short laugh. “Really? You have less than 2 days left to live and you are alright? What were you thinking?”

Ju shrugged as he stared at the shimmering ripples that formed on the surface of the lake.  “Not much. I didn’t have too many options. So I took a gamble based on something someone once told me.”

Baek Ah’s eyes opened wide as he scoffed, “Huh… You took a gamble? You have no idea what you just did, do you? You just wrote your death sentence. Against hyungnim, you wouldn’t last five minutes. You wouldn’t even last long enough to concede.”

Ju turned to Baek Ah with an expression of mock distress. “You are breaking my heart. How is it that you have absolutely no faith in me? After all, I won the tournament three years in a row and I defeated Uncle Jung.”

 

Baek Ah shook his head and gave an exasperated sigh. “It’s not the same. You cannot win against your father. Heck, no one can win against your father. At the age when you were learning to fight straw-men with a blunted sword, your father was fending off packs of wolves and fighting for dear life. At your age, he faced a small army of assassins single-handedly, killed every single one of them and set their hideout on fire. You have as much chance against him as an icicle in hell.”

Baek Ah closed his eyes and took a deep breath. “I wish there is something I could do. I should have stopped you….. said something…….. “

“Don’t be. You couldn’t have stopped me, because even now, if I had to do it all over again, I’d do the exact same thing”, Ju confessed with a smile, looking a lot more relaxed, now that he had some time to think his decision through.

“Aaaaah…… I should’ve known. You have a death wish. In fact, you have always had a death wish”, Baek Ah said with an indulgent pat on Ju’s head.

“No, I have a plan”, Ju said with a reassuring smile.

Baek Ah knotted his eyebrows in a frown and looked askance at his favorite nephew who noted, “You see, I don’t have to defeat my father. I just have to make him concede.”

 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What do you think? Does Ju have a chance against So? Please lemme know in the comments section.