Prologue

Unraveling Love

Chilly weather. Fluffly beanies. Orange leaves. Everything about today points to autumn. Yet I still can't escape and enjoy this weather. If I want to survive. After all, being a waitress alone doesn't support the cost of your rent. I, Park Bom, especially need these wages to support my own life. Sighing at the view of children, I once again wished that I could turn around my childhood. Wishing somebody would've made it lively. I could've rolled into piles of dead leaves and laughed at how stupid I looked. Instead, studying was mandatory. Even now, the cafe's manager's orders still sound like my mother's shrieks, moments after I hand my piece of graded test to her, which seemed to define my life. Most of the time, an A never satisfied her. Just like our manager. a small compliment never satisfied him. I wondered what it's like to see the manager smile. I wondered what it's like to see my own mother smile. Deep down, a glimpse of hope can be seen wishing that their smiles would be worth their fierceness. 


I'm still wishing today was a busy day. Though getting to sit down and doze off at work is satisfying, it gets too boring after an hour or two. 

"Jenny!"

I'd recognised that Jersey-accent anywhere. Of course, it's Amy. Amy Lee (or Ailee, whatever she calls herself), was one of my roommates back when teenage, rebellious Bom (or my English name as Amy preferred, Jenny) was residing at an old apartment back in New York. We both stayed together for a year, before I moved to Massachusetts to secretly pursue my musical training after getting my degree on psychology. Ailee seemed to mimicked me at the right time, moving back to her homeland, New Jersey to pursue her musical career. Unfortunately, we both are still inexperienced, still not landing an audition back in America or here in South Korea. For now, we have to work our buttocks off to keep our life 'stable' (as Ailee refers). Imagine my face upon meeting Ailee here, right in this cafe, after two years of phone calls and exchanging words.

"Hm?" I sighed for the fifth time this afternoon.

"Look at this!" Ailee exclaimed, "Amber and Eric are visiting Korea! God, I haven't seen them in months!"

My whole body perked up in the mention of their names. Amber and Eric, our roommates. I smile at the thought of meeting them, knowing that everything would be the same again. We all would be causing trouble again, but the right kind of trouble. The kind of trouble that feels right, when you're with your best friends.

"Amy, we should also be looking at the auditions." I murmured, "I believe that Empire Entertainment is accepting auditions tomorrow, right?"

Ailee groaned.

"Jenny! We might just enjoy ourselves right now- while we train, of course." Ailee added once she recieved my glare.

The bells chime, signalling a new custumor entering the dungeon. I whipped my head back, to see quite a familiar face, and grinned. There she was, my neighbor, Lee Chaerin. With her distinctive sultry feline eyes, and her thick thighs that swayed her wide hips in every step. It was quite difficult not to recognize her. Strutting her way into here with her clicking black heels, she gave me one last look before grabbing a seat. 

"Yah! Park Bom, Lee Yejin! I didn't hire you just so you can loaf around!" Finally, Manager Kim exploded. I was wondering how long it would take for him to find us going on and about.

"Ah- neh, Manager Kim!" Ailee switched into Korean immediately, bowing for his forgiveness. To be honest, I do know Ailee better. She's bowing just for the sake of humour and the mockery. 

I mimicked Chaerin's strut, oozing confidence in each step I take. Once I reached her table, I crossed my arms and smirked at her.

"What brings you here, Chaerin-ah?" My American brain feels weird switching into Korean, "Don't tell me you've brought me another blind date."

"Aniya, unnie. Just because I don't frequently come here, does not mean that I'm bringing you a date every single time." Chaerin scoffed at my expectations.

"Well, you can't say the same with the last two times you came with two men hooked in your arms."


"Don't worry unnie. Not yet, anyway." Chaerin gave me a goofy (I know better, it's a very naughty) smirk.



"Well," I cleared my throat, trying to smooth out my Korean (and partly knowing that Manager Kim is burning holes down my back), "Welcome to Spice Chai's, Chaerin-sshi. For this week's special, we have pumpkin spice latté, with chocolate chips fresh from the oven. May I take your order?"


Chaerin smirked, before moving her lips, "I'll take the usual please, Bom-sshi."

"Right away, miss."


And with that, I walked away.


"Dongwook-oppa, I'm sorry for disturbing- but please make Chaerinie a cup of latté please," I approached Dongwook, "No sugar, soymilk, the usual."


Dongwook peeked outside, spotting me before flushing with redness, "Sure, Bommie."


"Oppa, is the heater too hot? Should I turn it off?" I asked him.


"Oh- no! Don't worry about it, Bommie. I'll go make Chaerin her order now." Dongwook persisted, before rushing into the kitchen.


"Okay?" I raised my eyebrow, before walking back to Chaerin.


"Unnie, I'm saying it with pure, good intentions," Chaerin started, grabbing my hands, "Give Dongwook a chance! You can't just live like this, heartbroken by that stranger!"


"Yah! He's not a stranger!" I replied back, annoyed, "I've just never really found out his name."


Chaerin looked at me, disappointed at the fact that I'm being fussy.


"Unnie, you know I owe you about Jiyong," She blushed, "Tell me his name- his god forsaken name, for crying out loud! I will flip the world to make you happy with him again!"


"Promise me you'll never bring this up again?"


"Promise."


I sighed, turning my sight to the window. The fairy children are gone, left with the crumpled, abandoned flakes of what used to be leaves.

 

 

 

 

 

"Top."