Unsure

Learning the hard way

Jessica woke up early the next morning and attempted to cook eggs and bacon. How hard could it be right? Uh oh...

'Ugh, Jessica, what's that smell?', Taeyeon walked in the kitched and scrunched her nose.

When Taeyeon saw what was in front of her, she grinned widely.

'Were you trying to cook breakfast for me?', she raised an eyebrow.

'N-no, I was just trying to see if I-'.

'If you could what?

'Aish, nevermind', Jessica turned her head away and pouted.

Taeyeon just grinned. Her mother came in...

'Taeyeon, you terrible girl. Don't you know how to cook?', she grabbed hold of Taeyeon's hair.

'I'm sorry, mom. I'll try again', Taeyeon whimpered.

Jessica held her breath. Taeyeon didn't snitch on her...she should tell the truth...

'Ugh, you're so hopeless, do you know that? You should've just stayed back at your stupid company'.

'Sorry mom'.

'It was me..', a quiet voice spoke out.

'What?', Taeyeon's mom faced Jessica.

'I burnt the eggs..'

'It's not nice to lie. You're better than Taeyeon, Taeyeon doesn't even know how to cook'.

'But it was me truly-'.

'Silence! Taeyeon, why are you trying to get your friend in trouble', Taeyeon's mother slapped her so hard Taeyeon doubled over on the floor.

Jessica began to scream and cry while Taeyeon was knocked out practically unconscious. 

'That is it, I can't let Taeyeon live with you anymore', she sobbed and called the police. The police came in and took away Taeyeon's mother. Taeyeon begged weakly not to press charges or anything, the police said she would be sent to an insititution where her alcohol addiction could be helped. Taeyeon was sent to a hospital, she was bruised badly and had a severe cut on here forehead where her mother had struck her against the edge of a table. Jessica stayed by her side. When Taeyeon was confirmed okay enough to leave the hospital, they left together in silence the entire time. From that day on, it became too awkward and the wall that was between them just a few days ago was back up again. Taeyeon went all cold and distant, Jessica became hesistant but later on as cold as Taeyeon was being. Jessica went out partying and forgot about Taeyeon as a friend, she just decided she'd know her as the girl she was sharing a house with. Taeyeon, however, focused on her lyric writing, catching up with dramas and her group mates, giving young rookie groups personal singing and idol lessons in her house. It went on like this for the next two months and they both don't know why they just stopped talking to each other when in three days, years of avoiding happened to vanish because of how well they both clicked together. Whenever they were around each other, things happened so quickly and suddenly but when without each other, the time seemed to drag on and on and on. Every now and then, while Taeyeon would be at home, she'd see Jessica's and her own face in two of the rookies and she'd envy the friendships blossoming among new groups, the way her friendship had once blossomed with Jessica. Jessica would go to parties and think she saw Taeyeon's face in the crowd but Taeyeon was never there. 

Jessica came back home one evening and she finds Taeyeon helping a rookie group called Gfriend. One girl in the group who had huge eyes and a pretty bob haircut came up to her.

'You're Jessica, aren't you? You're my bias in the group, omg can I hug you?'

'Sure, what's your name?', Jessica hugged her.

'E-Eunha'.

'Cute name', she smiled.

'T-Thank you', Eunha let go of her and looked at her with widened eyes.

'Yah Eunha, come here', the tall girl in the group said.

'You must be the leader Sowon, I've heard good things about you', Jessica smiled.

'R-Really? Like what?', Jessica noticed how Sowon held Eunha close and thought the height difference was adorable. 

'Like you're such a good leader of the group, you treat everyone fairly', Jessica replied with an edge to her tone.

'Really?'.

'Yeah, I think it's true', she eyed Taeyeon. Taeyeon's stone cold expression faltered.

'Anyway, that's all for today guys, have a nice day', Taeyeon smiled.

The girls all smiled and bowed. How pretty they are, especially the doll like visual of the group, Yerin. They'll be something big one day I reckon, Jessica thought to herself.

When the girls got out, Taeyeon turned around and attempted to go back to her room. Jessica grabbed her wrist and pulled her so close.

'W-What do you think you're doing?', Taeyeon frowned and tried to walk away.

'Why'd you stop talking to me again?'.

'Why do you care? Do you think I asked you to help me that day? Should've just let her hit me more'.

'Why are you being so cold? I thought we fixed our problems?', Jessica's eyes filled with tears. Why was Taeyeon being so cold?

'Get off me, Jessica.'

Jessica let go of her and felt so sad because when she was this close to Taeyeon, her heart was beating too fast already but when Taeyeon is too close to Jessica, Taeyeon resents it and wants to stay as far away as possible. Jessica was not the type of person to give up but this time, she was really done. She walked away.

'Jessica wait'.

Jessica faced her with her ice cold expression. Taeyeon shut and stared at Jessica.

'What do you want?'.

Taeyeon was scared. She didn't understand why she had to push Jessica completely away when she was unsure about something. That day her mother had repeatedly slapped, kicked and punched her until she was knocked out, Jessica had saved her. She felt so safe when Jessica was with her and that's something Taeyeon never wants. She never wants to get attached to anyone. She doesn't want to feel safe around anyone because when you feel safe around someone, you start to depend on them. How can two girls who avoided each other for years suddenly become best friends in 3 days?...Jessica raised an eyebrow and gave her a cold smile.

'What is it, Taeyeon?', she exasperatedly sighed.

'N-Nothing'.

'Of course it's nothing, is it. It's never anything with you, dumb ', Jessica leaned into Taeyeon.

'Excuse me?'

'You're excused'.

'What did you just call me?', Taeyeon's eyes flickered with anger.

'I called you a dumb '.

Taeyeon shoved Jessica angrily.

'Oooh look who's all strong and mighty now. I'm sorry unnie but really? You are so pathetic'.

Taeyeon's eyes filled with tears. Jessica was well known for being an icy who didn't care what came out of when she was angry and hurt.

'Shut up', her teeth clenched.

'Or what? You're gonna hit me? Following in your mother's footsteps, I see'. 

That's it. This ice queen took it way too far. Taeyeon slapped Jessica across the face. Jessica shoved Taeyeon lightly because even though she was angry, she was thinking of how Taeyeon's mother had already put her through enough pain. Taeyeon's anger doubled when she felt Jessica's hands on her so she shoved Jessica until Jessica fell over. Jessica's mouth dropped in disbelief.

'You ever compare me to my mother again and you're dead', Taeyeon grabbed Jessica's hair. Jessica gasped loudly.

'Okay, relax', Jessica muttered when she finally gained her breath back.

Taeyeon let go and walked to her room. Jessica sat on the floor with her typical ice princess expression.

Game on, Kim Taeyeon.