Her eyes

Learning the hard way

By the time Jessica and Taeyeon got to Taeyeon's house, it was 8:00pm. The taxi drive was long, Jessica and Taeyeon didn't speak a word to each other the whole time...

Taeyeon took a deep breath and opened the door slowly. Sickening dread filled her stomach when she saw what a wreck the house was. Dishes on the floor, clothes scattered everywhere and worst of all, many wine glasses. She saw Jessica's reaction immediately, even the ice princess couldn't hide her shock at the mess that Taeyeon's house was. Jessica's mouth was slightly agape, her beautiful eyes widening the more she saw. 

'M-mom, are you home?'

Taeyeon's mother walked towards them and honestly, she looked crazy, nothing like that pretty woman who Jessica once used to see. What the hell happened?...

'Taeyeon, finally you're home'.

'Y-yes mom. I'm sorry I've been away for so long, it's been so busy. The house is so messy-'

Taeyeon's mother slapped her across the face.

'C-Can you step outside for a moment?', Taeyeon faced Jessica, her face hot with embarrassment.

'U-Uh, yeah sure', Jessica stepped outside and closed the door behind her. She exhaled shakily, realizing she had been holding her breath. When did all this happen? Why didn't Taeyeon trust me enough to tell me what the hell happened? I know Taeyeon's mom wasn't always like this, she used to be so kind. She was so understanding and gentle...

'Taeyeon, you ', Taeyeon's mother spat and shoved her.

'Mom, I'm sorry. You know how busy I am...you promised me you'd get yourself together'.

'Get myself together? How am I supposed to get myself all together by myself? You're so selfish, Taeyeon. You should've given up your job for me, but no, all you care about is your stupid idol group.'

'That's not true mom. You're the one who told me not to destroy my career for you and you promised you'd fix yourself up but look at you.'

'Selfish girl', her mother attempted to slap her again but Taeyeon grabbed her wrist and slowly walked her over to her room. She coaxed her mother into bed and sang a sweet lullaby for her.

'I'm sorry mom. I know I wasn't there for you and I'm so sorry but I'm here now, and I won't be going anywhere for a long time'.

'Taeyeon, I'm sorry honey. I-I just got angry...it's not your fault your mother is such a mess...you deserve to live your life without worrying about  what a wreck your mother is. I do have other people who could take care of me but I pushed them away..I-'.

'You're not a wreck mom, you're just hurt', Taeyeon her mother's hair.

'Love rots people inside', her mother glanced down sadly. Her eyes began to droop so Taeyeon gave her mother one last forehead kiss and stood up.

She walked outside and saw Jessica sitting on a chair. She put a hand on Jessica's shoulder, which caused her to jump up in fright.

'Did I startle you?', Taeyeon whispered. She hadn't expected Jessica to be awake this late. If it was midnight and she was still wide awake, then it meant something on her mind was troubling her. She really does care about me...

'Taeyeon', her voice is so soft and filled with hurt.

'Jessica, I-'

'Why didn't you tell me?'.

'It's no big deal. My dad just cheated on her and left us, she's been drinking a bit and taking some of her anger out on me', Taeyeon bit her lip and forced a smile.

'I'd rather see you with a frown than that smile. That smile is so fake.'

Taeyeon's smile faltered when she saw the angry look in Jessica's eyes.

'You could've told me, why did you push me away?', Jessica's arm raised up to touch Taeyeon's hair but Taeyeon flinched, causing Jessica to draw her hand back and bite her lip. She understood that from the first moment you hit someone, they become afraid they'll be hit again everytime someone raises an arm near them. After all, she knew better than anyone, didn't she...hadn't her mother been hitting her? Was she not the reason Jessica became a trainee and was desparate to debut so she'd never see her mother as much? Jessica felt her heart hurt and her head swim. She wanted to protect Taeyeon from this fate.