Too good to be true?

Learning the hard way

Taeyeon was so angry she was fuming. How dare SM do this to her? She made herself a bet in her head that YG or JYP didn't do this to their artists and for the first time ever she regretted joining SM. What kind of company forces a member of a girl group to share a apartment with someone she didn't...interact with as much as the other members?

 

1 hour ago

'Girls, I think it's time we gave you girls actual apartments to live in and give you a long hiatus as it gives you all more opportunity to interact with your families and enjoy free time. There are many new rookie groups as you all know and I'd like you all to cheer them on and support them. You made a comeback last year with Lion Heart and Party which Jessica did not partake in as she was busy in her fashion business and also, the controversy that she had left the group', their manager paused to give a meaningful glance towards Jessica.

All the members looked towards Jessica, who was linking arms with Yoona and Sunny. Jessica pouted and looked down.

'I'm not saying it's your fault Jessica. The controversy couldn't be helped, someone hacked into your account and posted that statement but really, with your reckless behaviour at the time, who would not believe you really did leave the group? Who wouldn't believe you prioritised your fashion business instead of your group? I kept you out of the last comeback the group made not only because you were busy but to keep you out of the public eye also.'

'Well, I was still in the public eye during that comeback, my fashion business got so popular', Jessica smugly stated, fiddling with her long pink sleeves. Taeyeon rolled her eyes and huffed quietly, averting her eyes away from Jessica only to see Tiffany checking out Jessica's pink sweater, which caused her to roll her eyes again.

'Yes but..oh nevermind. You are too foolish to understand. Anyway, the apartment arrangements are like this. Seohyun, Sooyoung and Hyoyeon. Yoona and Yuri. Taeyeon and Jessica. Tiffany and Sunny.'

Yoona let go of the pouting Jessica and went over to Yuri, smiling brightly. Seohyun, Sooyoung and Hyoyeon all flicked their hair with satisfied smiles, Sunny attempted aegyo on Tiffany, causing Tiffany to give Sunny her pretty eye smile in return. Jessica and Taeyeon just stared at each other. Taeyeon is surprised when the ice princess is the first to crack. Jessica blinked abruptly and turned away.

'Manager oppa, can I share with Yoona and Yuri instead?'

'I planned out the apartment arrangements perfectly. Sooyoung, Hyoyeon and Seohyun are close. They are the members with practically no controversies or issues with the public, we all know they are underrated at times. They have a lot to do. Sooyoung and Seohyun are focusing on their acting while Hyoyeon has dancing things to go to.'

'Very underrated, I deserve more appreciation', Sooyoung stepped forward, flicking her hair. The tall and skinny Sooyoung couldn't go a day without a sassy remark. 

'I deserve your metabolism', Yuri quietly muttered, gaining laughter from all the members who were secretly seething with envy looking at the nice tanned body Yuri owned and was so insecure about for no good reason.

'I put Yoona and Yuri together because-'

'Because they are both beautiful and tall'.

'Ahem, no. I put them together because they are both focusing on acting and are very much well loved by the public. Yoona, do well on your drama. I put Tiffany and Sunny together because we all know what Tiffany has gone through despite her cheery mask since her controversy, I think Sunny can help cheer her up and they will suit each other well. Taeyeon and Jessica. I put you both together because you are both sour and obviously need to fix your relationship up.'

'Yah, what's wrong with our relationship?', Taeyeon spluttered.

'We all know you two aren't, ahem, the greatest of friends.'

'We are friends', Jessica replied.

'I see. Then there shouldn't be a problem should there.'

The two girls both sulked silently and nodded because the manager was beginning to have a edge to his voice and the last thing they wanted was to be scolded when they were already so angry. They both didn't even know why they were so frustrated and exasperated at the situation. How bad could sharing an apartment possibly be?

'Okay, now go. The assistants will you'.

 

1 hour later

Jessica walked into  the new apartment and jumped up, startled when she spotted Taeyeon sitting on a couch staring off into space.

'You scared me'.

'Really? I already unpacked my bags and everything, there's only two rooms in this apartment so..yeah. It looks pretty enough, I guess. This is my room', Taeyeon stood up and walked into her room. She flopped herself on the bed and pulled out her phone, leaving the door open. She looked out of the corner of her eye and saw Jessica looking hurt. Eventually, a ice mask was put on and Jessica proceeded to walk into her room and unpack her bags. When she was done, she walked into Taeyeon's room and sat on her bed.

'Taeyeon, I know we both would rather be sharing an apartment with someone else but hopefully this will be nice too.'

'Mhm'.

'I mean, it's not like we hate each other right? We just both drifted and-

'More like you stole the spotlight and ditched me.'

'I'm not the one who ignored you for 4 years', Jessica's face turned pink, she couldn't believe how fast this conversation was escalating to an argument.

'I didn't ignore you, I just had nothing to say to you'.

'We both know you became jealous of me and just hid behind Tiffany without saying a word.'

Yeah because you're everything I'm not. You're pretty and happy and talented and ambitious and full of light and charisma, you can act and sing and dance well, you have the most fans out of all the members, who isn't jealous of you, Jessica Jung, Taeyeon thought to herself.

'Okay yeah, I was jealous of you because you were and still are so perfect. I read articles where people hated on me and wanted to make you the leader. They compared me to you. We were young. The members listened to and respected you more. But what was I supposed to do when my jealousy stopped, we both grew up and I got over it? Continue talking to you when it already became awkward so badly? Like you were so innocent anyway, each time I tried to talk to you, you'd hide behind Yoona or some other member', Taeyeon's eyes lingered on Jessica's. Jessica felt guilt hit her in that moment.

'W-we became busy'.

'Yes we did. But we still had free time and you never once tried to make an effort either. I'm not one to make an effort twice'.

'You're stubborn, that's why'.

'You're stubborn as well', Taeyeon smiled knowingly.

'Aish, whatever.'

'But now that we're talking almost normally, we may as well just be normal with each other now right? Wouldn't want to live in silence and awkwardness'.

'That's true. Well anyway, I gotta get going. It's 4pm now..I'll be back at 8, I got work to do', Jessica smiled shyly and got up.

'Bye', Taeyeon watched her walk out'.

'Bye', Jessica softly whispered, closing the door behind her.

Little did Jessica know that Taeyeon was going through major family problems at the time. She didn't want Jessica to know that her father cheated on her mother and left her, she didn't want Jessica to know that her mother began drinking. She didn't want Jessica to know that she cut herself. It had nothing to do with hate, maybe a bit with jealousy but she didn't open up to Jessica because she didn't want her to know what a broken and empty girl she was. She didn't want someone as bright as Jessica to hang around someone as dark and gloomy as her. Taeyeon had loved Jessica as if she was her sister. Taeyeon was someone who was scared to show her feelings, much different from Jessica. Jessica was someone who showed her feelings but if she wanted, she could put on that ice mask. Jessica was fearless.

Behind the door, Jessica stood. She bit her lip and a tear rolled down her cheek. Did Taeyeon even know how much she had hurt her all these years? They were best friends, how could this happen? Jessica had always blamed herself even though Jessica had needed Taeyeon. She had gone through such harsh public reactions after her controversy broke out. She had needed her when her sister Krystal tried to kill herself.

Taeyeon sighed and thought that a walk would be nice to clear her mind up a bit. She opened the door, knocking away the delicate framed brunette.

'Jessica?', Taeyeon held out a hand.

Jessica stood up by herself, flustered. What felt like two seconds later, her ice mask was back on.

'Are you okay?'

'Yeah I am'.

'Do you wanna go for a walk?'

'What did I tell you, I'm busy.'

'No you're not..you were just standing behind the door.'

Jessica's phone rang and she fumbled, getting it out and mouthing 'It's the manager' to Taeyeon.

'Yes manager?'

'I forget to tell you girls. You can go live with your family if you wish also, the apartment choice was optional'.

'O-Okay, thank you manager nim'.

'Have a good afternoon Taeyeon and Jessica', he hung up.

'I'm going to go live with my mom, stuff this apartment idea'.

Live with her mom? What about her dad?...

Taeyeon walked back into the apartment to pack up all her stuff but Jessica grabbed her wrist.

'Y-yah Taeyeon unnie, can I live with you and your mom?'

'W-What? First of all, since when do you call me unnie and second of all, why on earth would I let you live with us?'

'My family lives in America, duh. And plus, my sister is so busy I can't live with her. I'm scared to live by myself', Jessica gave her cutest pout.

'Very well. Just don't cause trouble'.

Jessica smiled.

Taeyeon swallowed and just hoped her mother fixed her alcohol addiction up, she hoped the house was well put together because the last time Taeyeon visited it was...2 years ago. She felt so guilty for leaving her mom alone like that but she'd been busy with all the group promotions. She didn't even know why she was letting Jessica tag along. She couldn't be bothered starting an argument because when Jessica sets her mind on something, she gets her way. She had an extra room in her house for her anyway, there should be no problem unless she comes back home to the same mess she came to 2 years ago...hopefully her mother got herself back to work and was sober again...