Kai - 22

I Am You, You Are Me

            To say time froze would be really, really cliché, but then again, Jongin was always a fan of the cheesy.

            She looked just about as stunned as he was, slightly agape and her brows creased, a far cry from her usual, composed self.

            “I’m sorry, I’ll just go find an-,”

            “No!”

            They both stumbled over the words at the same time as Soojung pulled back, bewildered.

            “That… that is, I meant to say, no, this seat isn’t taken.”

            She looked at him, eyes slightly apprehensive, and Jongin could practically see her mind whirring, trying to decide whether or not sitting down next to the sad memory of a friend was a good idea.

            She sat down anyways.

            He jumped a little - half surprised, half pleased - and she gave him a sort of side-eye.

            “I mean, it’s not like I have a choice anyways… I’ll freeze to death standing in the rain.”

            Jongin bit back a smile. She was still the same grumbling girl, too proud to admit her flaws and too strong-willed to even consider otherwise. That was what he’d liked about her. Still liked about her.

            A few more minutes of silence.

            “Are you actually going to grab a bus?” Soojung finally asked him, when a few buses had rolled by and he’d made no move to wave them down.

            “I’m Kai the dancing superstar. Living the life with millions of fangirls, hot abs, and a smoldering gaze. You think I’m going to take a public bus?” He smirked, tone playful.

             She laughed.

            “Always so full of yourself, dork.”

            Silence. Her next words came a little too soon for his liking. 

            “Well, this is my bus.”

            Jongin looked up at the girl whose eyes he’d always loved. Warm, despite her exterior. There were so many questions he wanted to ask. Why wasn’t she at the gala? How had she been? Was she dating anyone? Did she miss him too?

            But he couldn’t really pick just one to say. Too many questions. Too little time. Answered. Or unanswered. It didn't really matter anyways. Some things were better left alone. They’d learned that the hard way.

            “It was nice to see you Jongin.”

            “You’re going?”

            “Yeah.”

            “Okay… it… it was nice seeing you too.”

            She smiled a little and poked him on the forehead.

            “Mm.”

            And just like that, he let her go.

 

-- 

 

Kind of a short mini chapter but that's just how it goes. Sorry if the story seems pretty stagnant rn, it picks up soon. Wasn't meant to be much of a dramatic, heart-pounding fic anyways. Well, heart-pounding in a different way at least. Cheers.