Kai - 22

I Am You, You Are Me

(February 2)

“And we’re on in three! Two! One!”

“Welcome to Kiss the Radio! Where we interview the hottest stars and get to learn more about them! Although I’m sure all you hardcore fans already know everything down to the color of their underwear today!”

Jongin exchanged a glance with Sehun. A smile playing on his lips, the latter shrugged as if to say “Well, he’s not wrong”.

“I’m your host, Kim Heechul, although y’all know me as Heenim or whatever random names you crazies come up with... Today, we have much anticipated guests! I’m sure half the listeners now are overage or underage females busy wetting their … but don’t worry! So am I! Kiss the Radio is so so so so so excited to have none other than the most popular boy group here today!!! Give it up for E-X-O!!!”

And then Heechul howled.

Jongin was ready to spit his water out when he saw Suho’s mortified face at the Wolf reference.

“Alright, maybe not your best era,” the host conceded, but not before receiving a high five from Chanyeol seated next to him.

“Cornrows,” Sehun whispered to Jongin, whose amusement turned into disbelief.

If looks could kill, Sehun wouldn’t just be six feet under, he’d be so deep Adele would be rolling.

“Anyways,” Suho looked ready to shoot himself, as if he still didn’t quite believe he was in charge of this mess of a boy group, “let’s introduce ourselves…”

 

--

 

“That was fun, wasn’t it,” Sehun punched Jongin lightly on the shoulder as the latter removed his headphones.

“Yeah. Up until you started whispering about cornrows,” Jongin muttered. Sehun laughed good-naturedly at his sour-faced friend.

“C’mon, lighten up. You’re always so straight-laced now.”

Jongin scoffed.

“Says who? I’m a cheerful ball of sunshine.”

Sehun resisted the urge to roll his eyes at his oblivious friend. “No, you only smile when the cameras are on… The last time I saw you actually smile was when Soo-,” Sehun immediately shut up when he realized his mistake but the damage was done. Jongin’s previously half-displeased, half-smiling face turned into a fully displeased face and he put his headphones down a little more roughly than he should have.

“Do you have anything else to say?”

Sehun scratched his head for a second before bolting for the door.

--

 

Normally he’d be in bed or playing with his dogs on his day off, but Jongin was not having a normal day.

Instead, he was blasting music in the practice room, trying to dance off all the emotions running through him.

It was honestly pretty silly how one word – actually, Sehun didn’t even get to complete that word – could send his entire mood spiraling downwards. And frankly? It that he was still affected by her.

Jongin had spent the past four years trying to forgive and forget; he couldn’t seem to do either and it frustrated him to no end. When they had hit that fork in the road four years ago, they had walked in opposite directions trying to chase their dreams. And now that they were both where they had wanted to be back then, Jongin wondered if she was happy.

If Soojung was happy.

Because he sure as hell was not.

It wasn’t as if he hated his life. He had dedicated fans, insane popularity, and enough money to retire in a year. But it was funny how they’d both ended up in nearly parallel destinies, growing up apart, with careers mirroring each other. She was the glamorous Krystal now, acclaimed pianist and musical muse. And he was Kai, EXO’s Kai, twenty-two year old dancer, singer, and heartthrob. It sounded stupid in his head.

Jongin wondered if she still kept tabs on him, like he did her. Maybe not. But then again, maybe.

 

--

 

(February 3)

“Yo, are you going?”

Kai looked at Sehun in minor annoyance and major confusion.

“What?”

“The gala,” Sehun rolled his eyes, exasperated at his best friend’s obliviousness.

The gala. Was Sehun just stupid or just stupid? Because as far as Jongin knew, Sehun knew exactly who was on that esteemed performance list. And his friend was either just being a complete idiot (then again, Sehun did have his fair share of dumb blonde moments) or a total . Jongin figured it was probably the latter; there was a higher chance of jerk best friend than stupid best friend.

“You already know my answer.”

“Can’t say I didn’t try then,” Sehun shrugged. “Junmyeon hyung! He’s not going!” Sehun yelled at the closed door down the hall.

“No Sherlock!”

Jongin chuckled as Sehun plastered an annoyed look on his face.

“Excuse me for trying to be inclusive.”

Trying his best to cheer up the atmosphere, Jongin smiled warmly at his blonde friend.

“It’s fine, man. I’m just planning on hitting up the cafe down the alley and waiting out the night like the dark, depressing person I am.”

Sehun’s expression was a look of horror and I-can’t-believe-I’m-friends-with-this-.

“You’re giving up on your social life.”

“Not like I had much of one to begin with.”

“Are you kidding me? Pretty sure all the girls were after your booty in high school.”

“I just wore nice jeans. No one was after my booty.”

“Yeah?! Well at least Soo-,”

Sehun bolted down the hall and ran into Suho’s room.

“That’s the second time in two days, Oh Sehun!”

 

--

 

Instead of going to the gala that night, Jongin, hair stuffed haphazardly into a snapback and a hood thrown over his head, stood by the Han River. The night was cool and the road next to the river was empty, save for the occasional couple taking a midnight stroll or a dedicated jogger.

It was times like this when Jongin felt better and truly happy. When he didn’t have to live up to the world’s expectations, didn’t have to be Kai. It was times like this when he didn’t have to force himself to dance anymore, something he had long lost interest in. To be precise, something he’d long learned to dislike four years ago. Standing by himself next to the expanse of water with only the chilly air and nighttime for company, Jongin could be Jongin, that same insecure boy he was many years before and still was.

And he would have stayed like this awhile longer if it hadn’t started to drizzle lightly.

That was probably God’s sign to head back, he thought.

So with somewhat reluctant steps, Jongin turned and headed back towards the bus stop, wondering when he’d ever get the time to do this again.

The rain fell harder.

If it had been any other day, Jongin might have felt angry that he’d had the misfortune of getting caught out in the rain.

Tonight, it was the heavens crying out, empathizing with his struggles.

As he finally plopped down at the bus stop, waiting for his ride home, he could swear he saw her again. With her pile of music books and damp hair. With her amazing eyes and beautiful voice-

“Is this seat taken?”

Jongin looked up to his right, mouth opened to answer in the negative when he met them. Those eyes.

Because Jongin’s prediction had come true one more time.

Four years later, Jung Soojung and Kim Jongin had met again. 

 

--

 

A/N: I know, I know, what just happened... we just jumped 8 years into Kai's perspective for the first time. Trust! There's a plan to this story... I think :) There's going to be quite a bit of jumping back and forth and I'd initially planned to go through all of Krystal's timeline and POV before writing Kai's but that felt way too chronological, mechanical, and predictable.

Dropped a few references here and there... I don't know if you guys will get all of them but *fingers crossed*. I'm definitely not the most humourous person out there, so bear with me here. 

I don't have a very regular update schedule, but I will try my best to continue pumping out chapters as quickly as possible. Naturally, I'm not a fan of a set schedule unless I know I can write something good; something too routine for me develops into meeting a quota or time limit and then my writing is normally uninspired or dull.

Anyways, hope you all are enjoying the story so far. As always, constructive criticism, comments, or concerns are always welcome. Let me know if you want to say anything in the comments or just hit me up if you feel like talking.