Krystal - 14

I Am You, You Are Me

“You’ve got to be kidding me.”

Her mother rolled her eyes.

“I’m not, Jung Soojung. Don’t you dare start sassing me.”

“Mom!”

Her mom really was about to lose it. And, frankly? Soojung didn’t really care as she sat at the dining table, her bowl of cereal abandoned.

“Look Soojung. I really don’t give a crap about whether you don’t want to go to an arts academy or not.”

Soojung couldn’t believe her ears.

“You never give a crap.”

“Don’t! Do not make me start on you!” her mother yelled back, her patience finally out. “You’re attending the damn academy and you don’t have a choice.”

Life really seemed determined to ruin the hell out of Soojung’s world didn’t it? She wished her dad were actually here to stick up for her. But to be fair, her dad was part of the reason she hated both her parents.

“You’re right, I don’t have a choice. It’s not my choice I have an for a mother and I’m stuck in living hell with you!”

 

--

 

Soojung officially regretted ever going off on her mom, especially when she found herself staring at the imposing academy grounds. The buildings were enormous, almost castle-like, and the cherry blossom trees surrounding the campus were bare, although it was probably a sight to behold when the trees actually did boast their pink flowers. The campus was extensive, with fields of grass greener than her mother’s bright coat, a big lake on the side of the school, and so many benches the place could have passed for an extremely well-kept park. And most of all, it just seemed peaceful. If she were being honest with herself, Soojung might have actually looked forward to school at the most prestigious arts high school in all of Korea.

Then again, honesty was for losers.

“If I hear a word of complaint out of you, you’re officially stuck in hell with me for the rest of your life, got it?”

Her mother had quite a way with words, Soojung noted cynically.

As the pair, one being half dragged by the other, started towards the front office, they were met halfway by a short, balding man with cheekbones that threatened to fly out and a smile Soojung thought really was too bright in general. God, if everyone was like this here, her next four years would be properly revolting.

“Madame Jung!”

Oh hell no, he had a French accent too? Someone should just cut her fingers off then and there so she could never play piano again.

“Ah, Monsieur Gabin!”

Soojung was ready to puke.

“And this must be Soojung! I’ve heard so much about you from your mother.”

A few seconds of silence passed awkwardly, before she received a sharp elbow from her mother and her lips immediately quirked up as she smiled, slightly painfully.

“Uh, thank you very much. I hope they were all good things,” she tried to sound pleasant. Personally, she thought she sounded more terrifying than nice.

He seemed to have bought it, since his already large smile grew even wider. Soojung prayed for his cheekbones; they probably hurt 24/7.

“Of course, of course! Good is an absolute understatement for Korea’s greatest piano prodigy! I’ve been to some of your showcases and goodness, that was half the reason you were accepted without even auditioning.”

Soojung’s eyebrows popped up. She’d assumed her mom pulled some strings, dropped a few names, and threw the family’s wealth at the school.

“We can’t wait to have you attend.”

And as Monsieur Gabin led the mother-daughter pair further into the school, Soojung’s sinking feeling started to disappear ever so slightly.

 

--

 

But of course. Her mom knew just how to ruin her social life from the beginning.

Soojung soon came to realize Monsieur Gabin, who she also realized was the music department’s dean, was giving them a private tour on orientation day, when all the other new kids toured the campus too. Except, the difference was that they got to look at everything and meet new friends, as orientation day should have been. She was stuck with a balding Frenchman and a stern mother.

Soojung had been determined to try to fit in, at the very least.

That was the biggest joke of the century.

She soon grasped that it was out of the question and not her privilege when they walked past a group of around twenty kids, being led by a senior student. The guide immediately halted and bowed to Monsieur Gabin and the rest of the incoming freshmen soon followed suit, nervously appraising the situation. Of course, Gabin with his cheery smile soon eased the tension. But when they finally saw the girl standing next to the department dean, the whispering started.

Soojung should’ve known.

“Is that her?”

“No way, I didn’t see her at auditions though…”

“Maybe you just missed her.”

“You’re stupid, there’s no way I would’ve not seen the Soojung.”

“Think she’d be friends with me?”

“No way. She’s even getting a personal tour with the dean. We’re not on her level, dork.”

Soojung felt humiliated. Which was funny, since most people might have felt pleased to be so revered. But she was downright embarrassed. It wasn’t because of the conversation she had just overheard. It wasn’t even the look of the wonder in her sunbae’s eyes as he tried to recapture his orientation group’s attention.

It was the smirking boy standing in the middle of the sea of buzzing freshmen.

They stared at each other for a few seconds, Soojung’s face burning up and his face peacefully analyzing the situation.

He probably thought she was a stuck-up, privileged girl again. Or, as he had said two years ago, a “snobby elite musician”.

But before she knew it, with a wave and a nod, Monsieur Gabin had prodded her along and the orientation group had disappeared down the turn in the hall.

She really wished she could have said something to him. She also really wished she could do the day over; Soojung was sure she would have picked a different way of meeting the boy she had been fascinated with for over two years.

Of all the rotten luck in the world.

But as she thought about it, blocking out the chattering between her mom and the dean, a smile started to creep onto her face.

His prediction, made two years ago under the rain at a cold bus stop, had come true.

Jung Soojung and Kim Jongin had met again.

--

 

A/N: If you're waiting for Kai's perspective chapters, they'll probably be later in the story, instead of alternating chapters. There's a purpose, I promise! 

Anyways, hope you guys are enjoying the story so far. As always constructive criticism is always welcome... or if you're just having a bad day and you want to yell at me destructively that's okay too.