Chapter 9

How to: Get a Gay Boyfriend in 7 Days

Yunho looked around the room and saw Jaejoong, a smile spread on his face.

The teacher looked up at Yunho in minor confusion, “What’s going on?” he raised an eyebrow.

Yunho turned his attention to the teacher, “Oh— sorry for interrupting sir, but I’ve got a summons,” Yunho raised his tiny note at hand and read it aloud, “Uh…says here, Kim…Jaejoong?” he looked up,searching the room as if he had no idea who Kim Jaejoong was.

Jaejoong slowly raised his hand, “Here?”

Yunho’s smile reappeared, “There he is.”

The teacher glanced at Jaejoong then at Yunho, “Uh-huh,” He said skeptically.

“The college center needs him,” Yunho nodded to the teacher, “ASAP,” he added.

The teacher sighed, never reasoning with what the college center does. Even though he felt like this boy wearing a teacher assistant’s vest didn’t feel like a teacher assistant, he nodded. “Alright then,” he glanced at Jaejoong with a sigh, “You have been summoned.”

Jaejoong stared, dumbfounded. Was it that easy to get out of detention?

Yunho nodded once, looking at Jaejoong and gestured for him to get up and follow him out.

Jaejoong bit his lower lip in hesitation, his mind going through the list of consequences he would face if he were caught in the act of this felony.

“I’ll help him out,” Yunho went over to Jaejoong’s desk. “Wow, you’ve got a lot of books,” he said before leaning forward, “I’m getting you out of here, come on,” he whispered and began helping Jaejoong put his things in his book bag.

Jaejoong snapped out of his train of thought and watched Yunho in confusion, ending up only putting the pen he had at hand back inside his bag because Yunho had put everything else for him already.

“Ready?” Yunho beamed shortly, lifting Jaejoong’s book bag as Jaejoong stood up with a nod.

Jaejoong slung his book bag over his shoulder and followed Yunho out of the room quietly.

Once the door behind them shut, Jaejoong tugged on Yunho’s sleeve and stopped walking, “Yunho,” he hissed, “I can’t ju—“

From the inside of the classroom, the two heard the class phone ringing.

“Run. Talk later,” Yunho quickly grabbed Jaejoong’s hand, pulling him as he began to run.

“But—“ Jaejoong was dragged off by Yunho, his legs forced to run same as the other because he didn’t want to tumble over. Jaejoong wasn’t looking for any more trouble by being caught either.

--

As Changmin and Junsu were walking home, Changmin received a text from Taeyeon saying that there was a mandatory meeting happening at the Kim’s house and that Yoochun was already there.

“Alright~” Junsu smiled, “My face has fully recovered so I can see Taeyeon noona,” he giggled softly thinking about it. “Let’s go!”

“Uh…I can’t.”

“Eh? Why?” Junsu stopped on his tracks and looked at Changmin.

“I’ve got homework, just tell her I gotta pass on this one. You can take notes for me,” Changmin reasoned out.

“You said you finished it in fourth period!” Junsu crossed his arms, looking at his friend with confusion. “Come on! You can’t miss this. You know how bad I am with taking notes!”

Changmin sighed, “I just can’t, alright?”

“But, Changmin!” Junsu pouted.

“…What are you doing?” Changmin stared at Junsu disgustingly. He hated it when Junsu did anything even remotely cute.

“Please?” Junsu clasped his hands together as he pouted deeper, “Oh pretty please with whip cream and strawberries on top?”

Changmin rolled his eyes and thumped Junsu’s forehead with his finger, “I’m not an ice cream man. And your stupid cute stuff won’t work on me—I’m immune.”

Junsu sighed in defeat and paused for a moment, “Wait…did you and Yoochun have a fight or something?”

“What?” Changmin scoffed, “What would we fight about?”

Junsu blinked, shrugging a shoulder, “It’s just… every time I mention him you get all worked up.”

“No I don’t,” Changmin defended himself, “Since when?”

“As a matter of fact…right now,” Junsu watched Changmin suspiciously.

Changmin sighed, “You’re going delusional.”

“If you won’t tell me, Yoochun will!” Junsu threatened, sticking his tongue out at the other before he picked up his feet and began running to the Kim’s house.

Surprised, Changmin widened his eyes and ran after Junsu, “Yah! Come back here!”

--

The sound of sneakers running on clean marbled floor rang throughout the empty hallways.

“Yah!” The teacher ran after them as fast as his legs could go, “Come back here!”

Jaejoong made a sound.

He didn’t really know what it was but to Yunho, it sounded like he was scared so he squeezed his hand, “Don’t look back, we’re almost there,” he said between breaths.

Jaejoong gulped, looking at Yunho with a nod.

The two fugitives ran out of the school building alive.

The teacher stopped chasing them after they passed the main entrance of the school but just to be safe, Yunho strived and pulled Jaejoong to keep running until they reached the gates.

“We…almost…died,” Jaejoong heaved as he leaned against a light post with a hand over his drumming heart.

“We almost died?” Yunho chuckled breathlessly and looked up at Jaejoong, “It wasn’t that bad.”

Jaejoong gulped and looked at the other, seeing a few sweat drops on Yunho’s forehead. “Not bad?” Jaejoong exhaled heavily as he stood. He was about to straighten out his uniform when he realized they were still holding hands.

With shocked eyes, Jaejoong yanked his hand away from Yunho’s and tidied himself.

Yunho watched Jaejoong closely with an amused smile. “You’ve never ditched, huh?”

“No,” Jaejoong huffed, adjusting his book bag over his shoulder. “--I’ve never gotten detention before.”

“Well, now you’ve ditched too,” Yunho grinned playfully.

Jaejoong frowned, “Now I’ll get in even more trouble.”

Yunho shook his head, “I’ve done it a bunch of times before, that teacher doesn’t really care if you show up or not—“ he paused, “Though, it’s the first time he ran after me like that…hmm…”

Jaejoong gasped, but before he could say any more, Yunho reassured him, “Relax, if you get in trouble, I’ll cover for you. Alright?” He leaned closer and looked into Jaejoong’s eyes with a soft smile.

Jaejoong blinked, “O-okay,” he blushed lightly.

Sighing, Yunho stretched his arms and looked around the streets before looking back at Jaejoong.

“So~” Yunho began, “Are you hungry?” He took off the orange vest and let it fall to the ground.

“Uhm…a little—“

“Great!” Yunho grinned, grabbing Jaejoong by the hand, “I know this place that makes really good dokkbokki.”

“But, wait—I have to do my homework!” Jaejoong pulled back.

“Aw come on,” Yunho frowned as he looked back at the other. “How about for today we switch things up?” Yunho squeezed Jaejoong’s hand, “Come on, live a little,” he did a little shimmy that made Jaejoong laugh.

“Senior year’s almost over anyway, so what if you miss one homework now?”

“Hmm…” Jaejoong bit his lower lip, nodding softly, “Oh…alright. I guess I can do my homework later.”

“We can do it together,” Yunho grinned, “I need help on mine anyway.”

Jaejoong raised an eyebrow, looking at Yunho, “Ah, that’s why. You want to copy off of mine, huh?” He smiled playfully.

“No~” Yunho smiled mischievously, “I just want to do homework with you, that’s all.”

“Mhm~” Jaejoong took his hand away from Yunho’s and walked a little faster than the other, smiling with his chin up high. He gazed up at the sky and his smile stretched from ear to ear, he wasn’t sure if it was from the excitement of being rebellious for a change or the fact that Yunho was with him that made him so happy.

--
Junsu ran all the way to the Kim’s house with Changmin hot on his tracks, luckily the gate was open so he dashed right inside and pounded on the door loudly.

The sudden commotion made Yoochun jump out of his seat while Taeyeon and Tiffany who were busy making snacks stick their heads out from the kitchen.

“OPEN THE DOOR!” Junsu screamed at the top of his voice, hammering the wooden door with more force.

Yoochun stared at the door cautiously as he approached it.

“YAH! COME HERE YOU TWERP!”

“AHHH! HELP ME!”

Yoochun widened his eyes, his hand hesitating on opening the door because it sounded really bad out there. But when Taeyeon asked what the uproar was all about and why was it taking him so long to get the door, Yoochun had no other choice but to face whatever situation that was waiting for him even if his face might face injury.

He took a deep breath and opened the door, finding Changmin and Junsu in an interesting position.

Changmin had Junsu trapped, face against one of the pillars that held the tiny roof over the entrance of the house. He held both of Junsu’s arms locked and was about to knee him from behind while Junsu was pleading for his life when Yoochun opened the door.

“Yoochun!” Junsu screamed S.O.S., “Save me!”

“W-what’s going on?” Yoochun’s brows scrunched together as he took a step toward the two.

“Changmin’s—“ Junsu’s mouth was covered, “Mmhmhmm mhm mmmrmmm mmmrrmmmhmm!”

“What?” Yoochun looked very confused.

“Stay out of this, Park!” Changmin growled, “He’s mine.”

Junsu widened his eyes in terror, mumbling incoherent pleas for his life.

“Changmin,” Yoochun called him in a smooth voice, “Calm—“

Changmin gritted his teeth, “Shut up—I don’t want to see you right now,” he hissed at Yoochun without once looking at him.

“Come on, Junsu-yah! Let’s get out of here!” Changmin was about to lift Junsu and carry him to his house for hostage when Yoochun snuck behind Changmin.

Yoochun placed his hands on Changmin’s waist, giving them a gentle squeeze as he pulled against the other then pressed his lips to Changmin’s right ear and whispered something that made the younger male blush.

“Yah!” Changmin pushed Yoochun back and elbowed him, making Changmin let Junsu out of his grasp; leaving Yoochun and Changmin to themselves.

Within a nano-second of freedom, Junsu sprinted into the house and bumped into a petite figure that was carrying a tray of cold ice tea in a plastic pitcher that tipped over.

They both gasped.

Taeyeon’s white shirt was drenched with raspberry iced tea.

Junsu’s eyes went round as saucers when he saw through her shirt; she had a leopard-printed bra on. “Woah.”

Taeyeon looked mortified, her arms quickly covered herself, “Don’t look!”

He panicked, he took his shirt off and started dabbing Taeyeon with it while repeating the words, “I’m so sorry.”

“You guys, what’s all the—“ Tiffany came out of the kitchen with a huge plate of finger sandwiches and froze when she saw a topless Junsu dabbing, what looks like his shirt, onto Taeyeon who was soaked in iced tea and Changmin trying to get out of, what looks like, Yoochun’s really tight back-hug.

She blinked, pouting softly, “Nobody said about bringing your S.O.…”

--

It was a sunny yet cool day to walk. Birds chirping in the background of their conversations about school and it seemed like each and every time they would come across someone else, they would smile at them like in movies.

It seemed that perfect, at least to Jaejoong, even more perfect when he heard Yunho’s laughter.

“Oh man, Mrs. Kang is such a pain isn’t she?”

Jaejoong’s lower lip jutted out as he shrugged, “She’s not that bad.”

“Whaaat,” Yunho chuckled softly, nudging Jaejoong’s arm, “She gives a ton of homework every single day, Boojae, how can you stand up for a teacher like that?”

“Well-- that’s because she wants to make sure her students actually keep the knowledge they’ve attained!” Jaejoong nodded, looking up at Yunho. “You know she’s recently become a widower.”

“Oh,” Yunho blinked, frowning a bit.

“She seems the same but I’m sure she’s hurting a lot inside,” Jaejoong frowned too.

Yunho bit his lower lip, “How do you know that?”

“She obviously loved her husband, I’m sure if my partner died I would be hurting a lot too,” Jaejoong’s eyebrows creased together. “Wouldn’t you too?”

“No--I meant, the fact that her husband died...” Yunho pursed his lips, he suddenly felt a tug at his chest.

“Oh,” Jaejoong puffed his cheeks, “I’m her T.A.” He nodded, “For third period,” he added.

“Ahh...” Yunho moved his head up and down as if he didn’t know before. “Oh that’s right!” he snapped his fingers, “I’ve seen you once or twice in her room during passing period.” Yunho his dry lips and gulped, his body temperature and heart rate seemed to be rising.

“Yeah,” Jaejoong smiled, “She’s nice once you get to know her, you know.”
“Yeah?” Yunho his lips nervously again, clutching at his jeans, accidentally brushing the back of his hand against Jaejoong’s.

Jaejoong’s eyes widened at the sudden friction, he lowered his head and secretly blushed.

“Uh...” Yunho coughed, having trouble using his mouth, his mind filled with guilt. He hadn’t even done anything yet-- officially anyway.

Jaejoong bit his lower lip, what should I do? Should I take the initiative and hold his hand?

Yunho cocked his head back and sighed silently, what are you getting all choked up about? This is the plan and it’s going great....Just calm down, Yunho, calm down. He inhaled deeply.

“Are you doing okay in her class?” Jaejoong lifted his head up, the pink in his cheeks faded.

“Err...” Yunho sighed, “Not really,” He let out a chuckle as he rubbed the back of his neck.

Jaejoong gasped, looking up at Yunho with a shocked expression, “What?” then laughed, showing Yunho that it was in fact, sarcasm. “I know, I graded your test,” Jaejoong cluck his tongue, playfully smiling.

“Aish,” Yunho nudged Jaejoong, “It’s not my fault, her tests are hard,” he whined.

Jaejoong laughed a little more, “Maybe if you studied harder it wouldn’t be as hard.”

“That’s easy for you to say, you’re valedictorian!”

“This has got nothing to do with me being a valedictorian,” Jaejoong shook his head.

“Well-- I meant, you wouldn’t understand cause it’s not hard for you to study,” Yunho replied, looking ahead.

“Mmm...”

“See? I’m dumb, I know,” Yunho chuckled, “Don’t have to make me feel like I’m not.”

Jaejoong frowned at that, “Hey, you’re not dumb,” he nudged Yunho, “And my tests aren’t that hard.”


“Your tests?” Yunho looked at Jaejoong surprised, he didn’t know that. Certainly even Yuri or Heechul did either.

“Well 50%,” Jaejoong shrugged, “Mrs. Kang comes up with the questions and I come up with how they’re asked,” he smiled.

“Woah...” Yunho laughed, “Seriously?”

“Yeah,” Jaejoong looked back at him with a laugh too, “I had the people like you in mind while I was making up the answers and I thought I made the choices fairly easy...”

Yunho raised an eyebrow, “People like me?” he scoffed playfully, “Well excuse me.”

Jaejoong laughed, “Yes, people like you,” he poked Yunho’s arm.

“What were you thinking about people like me specifically?”

“Mmm~” Jaejoong looked away with a shy smile, “You.”

Yunho couldn’t help smiling, but a frown soon followed after, his id and superego were about to really begin a battle.

---

After all the havoc happened, they all managed to calm down and become civil again. Yoochun let go of Changmin, somehow he managed to make Changmin stay. Junsu stopped dabbing and Taeyeon went up to her room to change into another shirt, followed by Tiffany who bugged the details out of her.

A good five minutes later, they were all right again.

Taeyeon stood up from the couch with her clipboard at hand. She cleared before announcing, “Thank you for coming to our short-noticed meeting today. We will commence the conference at once,” she nodded and took a seat next to Tiffany, a good friend of hers. Who clapped softly at her friend’s speech while the rest: Changmin, Yoochun, and Junsu (in the middle of Changmin and Yoochun) watched quietly.

Junsu clapped too, but was stopped by Changmin who elbowed him.

“Thanks,” Taeyeon whispered to Tiffany. Her friend nodded softly in acknowledgement.

“Now, lets begin,” Taeyeon said, revealing her clipboard to the others.

“As you all know, we have limited time to get this operation completed. We’ve only got four days left before Yunho’s parental units come back and take him,” Taeyeon began pacing around the living room as if she was some sort of general.

Some eyes followed and the rest were elsewhere, but all ears were listening to Taeyeon’s voice.

“We’ve done a great job so far, Tiger and Pooh have gotten tremendously close during these past few days and from what you three--” she pointed her finger at the three guys and circled them, “reported back to me, it seems like change is taking effect on Jaejoong,” she smiled a little.

“As for Yunho, we haven’t gotten much feedback...” Taeyeon sighed, “We’ve gotten some but nothing that screams he’s gay for our Jaejoongie--so!” Taeyeon was back in her original position, smiling as she turned a page over, “Here’s our plan!”

The four members of their secret squad leaned closer with scrunched faces, unable to read the heading.

Taeyeon rolled her eyes, “Aw, come on you guys. Don’t you eat your carrots? It says, ‘Operation: Get Yunho Jaelous by Having Fany Go on a Fake Date’!” she grinned, pretty impressed with her plan. “See what I did there?”

“What?!” Tiffany looked up at Taeyeon with confusion, “I thought you said you weren’t going to do that!”

Taeyeon pouted, “I thought Jaelous was pretty clever actually...”

Junsu nodded in agreement.

Changmin crossed his arms and sighed, thinking about it.

And Yoochun laid back, looking at Changmin from behind.

“No!” Tiffany stood up straight, frowning as she crossed her arms, “I can’t go on a date with your brother!”

---

Yunho and Jaejoong arrived at the dokkbokki place Yunho recommended after a few minutes of walking. No one knew how it happened but they were a bit fixed in an awkward atmosphere.

Maybe it was because a few minutes earlier, while they were walking side by side, Jaejoong made a move on Yunho. His hand subtly brushing against Yunho’s and just accidentally grabbing onto his hand.

Yunho jumped slightly and announced they arrived.

Jaejoong sighed in his seat.

The two high school seniors were sat in one of the booth, sipping away on their soft drinks.

“I wanted to apologize for earlier,” Yunho broke the silence.

“You.... didn’t do anything,” Jaejoong replied, sipping on his soda, looking away from Yunho’s eyes.

“I mean, earlier earlier, at lunch. You’re my friend too.” Yunho paused and looked at Jaejoong. There was confusion in his eyes and the more he wanted to figure it out, the more confused he became. Then Yunho’s confusion turned into frustration. And it showed through his expression.

He sighed, “I just felt like I didn’t do my job as a friend because I didn’t stand up for you. I was…right there and—” He pursed his lips, shrugging. “Then afterwards instead of going to you I—well—“ Yunho sighed again, “I know Yuri’s—“

“I know,” Jaejoong stared at Yunho with worried brows and let out a laugh to break the ice that somehow froze in the middle of their warm and sunny atmosphere. “I wouldn’t want you to be pick between love and friendship. Everyone knows love always comes first, Yunho-yah, even I do.” He nodded thoughtfully, his lips jutting out. “Although…I haven’t had my first love yet…” he thought aloud and shook his head with his nose scrunched slightly. “But anyway, it’s alright,” he nodded up at Yunho with a smile.

Yunho pursed his lips and held his breath before saying, “I broke up with her.”

Jaejoong widened his eyes in shock, “What?”

The latter nodded softly, “After we left the cafeteria, we talked and I just...” he shrugged, “I couldn’t take it anymore.” Yunho sighed, his heart rate was fine and he felt fine, he was getting pretty good at this. He wasn’t sure if it was part of it also, but he felt relieved.

“Oh...” Jaejoong frowned, but before he could anything else, the waitress came with a tray filled with their orders.