Love Life of Joseon

Shifting Clouds

Hi everyone! This chapter takes place the day before the television series begins. :) I hope you enjoy, and please leave your thoughts below!

 

Lee Yeong’s fingers reached gingerly towards the newest book on the shelf. It’s spine had never been broken, and he thought he could practically smell the ink still wet on the cover. He tried to hide his interest somewhat from his friends, but ultimately failed to do so as the name on the cover caught his attention.

 

“Hong Sam-nom. The Unknown Love Life of Joseon.” He let the name drip on his lips like honey while flicking through the pages of the book. “So this is the infamous author of love advice.” He glanced over his shoulder to his friend, who was too distracted with silk scarves to mind him any attention. “What do you think? Do I need something like this?”

 

“When it comes to relationship advice, you need all the help you can get,” his friend replied with a mock smile. She tugged at the smooth white fabric before her, making sure the threads were strong.

 

“Kang Hye-ri,” the Crown Prince mumbled her name hotly under his breath. “You’re certainly one to talk.”

 

“Both of you need help.”

 

The Crown Prince and Hye-ri turned towards the shop doorway. A tall man with dark hair tied up messily was standing at the entrance. He wasn’t smiling, but the two friends grinned at his sudden appearance.

 

It had been nine years, nearly ten, since the three of them had met. It all started with a locked kitchen door and an unassuming young girl. Of course, Hye-ri was in one of the lowest societal classes and was not to be consorting with either of them. However, she was one of the only girls in the palace whilst they were growing up, and the boys took a curiosity towards her. When she recognized that neither of them held judgement towards her for her background, their sharp wit and interest in the world around them formed an unlikely bond.

 

“Byung-yeon,” Hye-ri grabbed the attention of the man in the doorway. “What do you think about this scarf? Does it make me look too pretentious?” She held the pale fabric up against her cheek, smiling cheekily behind it. He was the last person to ask about fashion advice, but she simply enjoyed mocking him for it.

 

“It’s a nice shade,” he replied flatly.

 

“If you’re going to be a Salpuri dancer then you need to appear as one.” Lee Yeong spoke over his shoulder as he paid for the book at the counter. “You’ll eventually have what appears to be one of the most important jobs in town. It’s worth spending a bit more money on a fabric that will last.”

 

Hye-ri knew the Prince was right. She had trained in Salpuri dance since she was a child, when a former instructor caught her nonchalantly dancing in the town square. She said the child had grace in her legs, even if she didn’t have it in .

 

“I’ll take your advice to heart. Not to mention, I need to look the part.”

 

“Your skin is too dark to look the part.” Byung Yeon raised his brow.

 

“Maybe I should marry a nobleman then.” Her brow rose in response. “Then I can sit inside all day cooking food, washing clothes and getting pale.”

 

“That doesn’t sound like the worst life,” Lee Yeong stepped in. “In fact, why don’t we switch positions? You can learn the classics for me and I can take up dance. I’m already quite good at it.”

 

She playfully nudged him. If anyone knew he was the Crown Prince, they probably would have screamed at her casual touch. Luckily he was wearing his scholarly robes. “Yes, we all know your skill in choreography. In fact, I really hope you can give me some tips at my next show.” She glanced over at Byung Yeon, whose eyes were already fixated on something outside. “That is, if you two can make it.”

 

“We won’t miss it.” Lee Yeong smiled tightly. She knew he was handsome, but her heart remained still. “If there’s any reason for me to miss it, it’s because I need to write out scripts.” The other two shot him daggers as they entered the crowded street. “What?” He pouted innocently. “I have no time to actually study the classics. If I write a script out then my father will never know. Eventually I’ll get around to these things.”

 

“Eventually you’ll be King,” Byung Yeon stepped in. “And by that point it will be too late.”

 

“He has a valid point.”

 

Lee Yeong would have stepped in, but even he knew that he had no right. He tucked the book further under his arm, feeling the weight of it against his skin. He wasn’t sure why, but something about the novel seemed to speak to him.

 

Maybe he was lonelier than he thought.

 

Maybe, just maybe, there was someone out there for him too.

 

~.~.~.~.~.~

 

The moon was already high when Hye-ri started cooking dinner. Her feet were sore from the gentle twists and turns of Salpuri, but she was the only one in the household that was able to cook anything worthwhile. Her father was already falling asleep on the sofa next to the fire, his matted hair slipping into his eyes.

 

“Na-ri,” she whispered out the back door. “Come inside and set up the tableware. Father is too tired.”

 

Hye-ri’s younger sister looked up from the laundry basket she was holding. Her full, round eyes stared up at her sister, causing the older girl's heart to stop. Na-ri was the last thing their mother had given them before she left the Earth, and Hye-ri couldn’t help but dote on her. Her sister was everything that she was not. She was gentle and easygoing. She spoke honorably and kept her chin held high during toughtimes. When she took vegetables to the palace, she waited patiently if the door was locked. She never did things she wasn’t supposed to.

 

Hye-ri scoffed to herself.

 

I clearly missed the boat for that one.

 

When they finally had the food on the table and their father had woken up, Hye-ri knew the discussion would come up. She had left the house early that morning, which could only mean one thing.

 

“Did you see His Highness today?” Her father asked through a mouthful of rice. “What about Byung Yeon?”

 

“They were both in town. His Majesty bought a romance novel.”

 

“I’m surprised he’s not married yet, truthfully.”

 

“Of course he’s not,” Na-ri giggled. “He’s waiting until I’m older.”

 

Hye-ri pushed her sister sideways. “You’ve been staring up at the moon for too long. The romance is seeping into your brain and making you stupid.”

 

Her father was silent for a moment. She knew what he was thinking. When was she going to get married? When would she find a man who could provide their family with safety and a stable income? The last time either of them had discussed it, the whole ground had shaken from their shouting.

 

“You’re nineteen, Hye-ri.” Na-ri pointed out casually. “You should get married soon.”

 

“To who?” She asked with a teasing grin.

 

“To Byung Yeon.”

 

The spoon Hye-ri was holding slipped from her fingers at her sister’s confident reply. It clattered on the wooden floor for a second before the silence swept over. She blinked without saying a word, expressing her confusion only through her face. Her father actually laughed at the suggestion, nearly choking on his radish.

 

“Na-ri; that’s enough. You can save your fantasies for later.”

 

The young girl shrugged. “I’m almost ten. I can see things more clearly than you.”

 

Hye-ri’s stomach was still bubbling up from the earlier comment. “Hey, Na-ri! How does that make any sense?”

 

“When you get older, you have a lot of responsibilities in life.” She spoke whilst prodding at her rice. “You have to work, clean, and take care of your family. Your mind starts to push away the things that you really want because you’re only focussing on what you have to do for society. When you’re a kid, you can see things more clearly. You can see what people really want.”

 

“Na-ri, I think that’s enough,” her father chuckled. “Your sister and Byung Yeon are friends. The man barely speaks let alone shows his emotions.” Hye-ri was still frozen at the side of the dinner table. Her knees curled up against the wood in an attempt to steady herself. “Hye-ri. As your father, I just want you to know that if you marry anyone, don’t let it be Byung Yeon. You talk too much. He’ll divorce you after two hours and then we'll really be in trouble.”

 

She slammed her spoon on the table, causing the others to jump towards the low ceiling. “Have you both had your fun? Are you finished yet?” Scooping up her skirt, she grumbled her way outside to pick some more cabbages for breakfast. Inside the house, her father and younger sister were in a fit of laughter. Not just because of her anger, but because the idea of the two actually falling in love was indeed a ridiculous thought.