A Second Chance

Shifting Clouds

Hey everyone! Thanks for waiting for the last chapter. I finished the first year of my MA degree and have just moved to Korea, so it was a lot to deal with. Now I can get back to updating - I hope you enjoy the next chapter! 

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Even if Hye-ri had wanted to process the information Byung-yeon was now giving her, that the Prince’s eunuch and someone akin to a friend was the daughter of a national rebel, she did not get the chance. Her father’s rough fingers quickly formed a lock around her wrist.

“Father…” Hye-ri turned to him with wide eyes. It was the first time he had ever touched her with such aggression. “What are you doing?”

Although she was the one caught in his grip, his trap was set on their unexpected visitor. “Byung-yeon, I cannot allow you to see my daughter anymore.”

Hye-ri attempted to free herself to no avail. “Father, what are you talking about?”

There was no sense arguing with the girl, and so he kept his gaze fixated on the breathless guard. “As I’m sure you already know, Hye-ri is to be married in two days. I can no longer accept her running around with Princes in disguise and their personal body guards.”

Hye-ri’s brows came together. She knew punishment would come if she defied her father, but her tongue was too quick. “This is a different situation. This has nothing to do with us playing foolish games anymore; it is much bigger than you can imagine.”

“I cannot allow it,” his voice was lost in his throat. “I am sorry, but you must leave here.”

Byung-yeon’s chest had managed to slow in the course of the communication. He could not bring himself to meet Hye-ri’s eyes out of fear of getting lost in them. The words her father spoke were true. If anyone were to see her with Byung-yeon now, or even Lee Yeong, her marriage would be at risk. As he still had no answer to breaking off the engagement, there was little to be said. There had already been too great a risk after the attack in the village, and now Byung-yeon had to be careful of which path he treaded.

“You are right.” Byung-yeon bowed deeply. “I should not have come here. It was my mistake.”

Hye-ri inched forward at his apology, not in the least surprised that he had offered one. After all, his duty was to listen to orders. There was much she wanted to ask, but she realized that time may never come.

“Thank you for understanding.” Her father’s tone was softer now, but his grip was not. “If you will excuse my family-”

“Yes.” Byung-yeon’s head fell into his chest, a lazily committed bow. “I will take my leave.” He glanced once at Na-ri, a quick smiling crossing his lips, but when his eyes met Hye-ri’s they struggled to depart. Had it not been for her father’s quick closing of the door, she wondered if he might have simply taken her away.

When wood replaced her vision of Byung-yeon, she turned with puckered lips. “That was uncalled for.”

Her father raised a finger in warning. “Do not test me, Kang Hye-ri. You will lose.”

“This matter had nothing to do with his feelings for me.”

“Exactly!” Thankfully they had no neighbors to hear the shout. “The only thing that boy should be talking to you about from this point onwards is your hand in marriage, and with two days left, I fail to see how that is possible. If he came here bringing news of the palace to a peasant dancer, then shame on him.” She had never seen his cheeks so red. “A guard of the royal household should not be sharing such gossip with commoners. It concerns the palace and nobody else, as far as I’m concerned.”

Hye-ri felt as if a sword had been dipped into her heart. It lingered there, the blood turning into tears on her eyes. “How could you say that after all of these years?”

“It was my mistake thinking that you could handle such a simple task as delivering food without making trouble. If your mother was here, she would have scolded you much worse than I am doing now.” Hye-ri could not blame him for his anger reaching its peak, but she wondered how much of his words held truth in them. “If you are caught with him or the Prince, your reputation is not the only one that will perish. Your sister’s and I will be cut off completely; there will not be a single village across Joseon that does not bear our faces in warning.” He turned into his room, but his words trickled into the centre of the hanok. “You have a duty to this family, Kang Hye-ri. I’ve let you have your fun, but the time has come to cut the tail of your kite.” His hand rested on the door. He could not look at her. “Do not disappoint your father.”

His face disappeared more quickly than Byung-yeon’s. The door slammed with clashing of wood, leaving the two shocked daughters with silence as their company. Hye-ri was aware that tears had already dried on their face, but could not pinpoint exactly when they had fallen. Without a word, Na-ri’s small fingers slipped into place between her sister’s larger ones. Had it not been for that simple gesture, Hye-ri was certain she would hear her heart breaking.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Byung-yeon wondered how the sky could be so high the following day. It was like the world was rewarding him for achieving absolutely nothing. He had seen the Prince and Sam-nom… or was it Ra-on now, together the night before. The Prince knew she was a woman. He had heard Lee Yeong's confession of love, but how had something so obvious been swept under their feet for so long? Now that they both knew the eunuch's real name, it was only a matter of time until the Prince discovered her secret.

And then he was certain Hell would break loose.

That morning, Byung-yeon found himself on the training field in a matter of no time. His attacks were the sharpest they had been in weeks, his kicks more high and his strikes more sharply aimed. The guards around him couldn’t even avert their eyes from the sight, their jaws struggling to stay closed in shock.

What was he to do about Hong Ra-on? How could he tell Lee Yeong, now that he was certain the Prince was in love? And even worse, how could he deny the closeness he felt towards the girl? After all, she had called him her ‘hyung’ and there wasn’t a flicker of doubt that the affection had not been genuine.

Being unable to meet with Hye-ri only made matters worse. There was no word he did not want to whisper in her ear, nor a fear he wanted sealed. She should know everything, because she was the woman he loved.

With the single word springing into his mind, Byung-yeon finished his invisible attack. He landed with one hand planted into the dirt, the soil digging into his fingernails. His sword was outstretched at his side, its blade meeting the invisible abdomen of a foreign intruder. And yet, he felt no victory. There were too many uncompleted missions in his wake.

The anger washed over him like a tidal wave. His body shot up to full position, his arms raised at their full height with a sword to mark its top. He wished, in the darkest place of his mind, that there had been a body to strike. Violence kept his mind far from the struggles of humanity. He wished, untruthfully, that he had never met the farmer’s daughter, that he had never felt such companionship with the Prince, and that his parents might have wanted him more. There was a whole other life waiting from him outside of the palace walls, but he wondered if it was better or worse.

His eyes began to shake with the frustration. If he began to cry, not only would it be his first time as an adult, but it would also mark and insatiable tale of embarrassment throughout the palace. Instead he held his tongue. A time would come for answers. Time was always the healer of wounds, both physical and mental.

But he wondered just how deep his wounds here, and how much time he truly had.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

The following day passed by without a blink. Hye-ri was already getting her hair soaked in petals as the moon danced high into the night. Her sister’s small fingers were ringing out her long hair, creating a small waterfall for the insects around them.

“What are you going to do?” Na-ri’s boisterous voice was now the purr of a cat. “About tomorrow, I mean.”

“Marry him.” Hye-ri’s eyes stared straight at the wall of their home. Nothing was interesting to see, but nothing was interesting in her mind either. “What else can I do?”

Na-ri froze before continuing. “You could always live as a recluse. Perhaps you could even make it to China.”

Hye-ri’s lips twisted into a grim smile. “A woman alone faces dangers in any country, not just her own.”

Na-ri twisted the wet braid into a bun on her sister’s head. The dampness would keep the shape until tomorrow’s wedding, when she would look more beautiful than a painting. “You could always see him before you go.”

Hye-ri spun around with a brow raised. She kept her bodice hidden behind the edge of the tall bucket, her eyes peering over with curiosity. “Are you being naughty, Na-ri?”

The girl looked up at the sky. Her pupils shifted from darkness to a deep brown. “If you care about him like I think you do, then there’s nothing more to be done.” She glanced quickly at her sister. “You have to go tonight, before father wakes up at sunrise.”

Hye-ri assumed her sister was trying to fulfill some youthful fantasy of escape, but Na-ri was smarter than that. Perhaps it was a pain to admit it, but there was nothing her sister did not say without meaning. It was a trait that she had likely been taught by Hye-ri herself.

“When?” She crawled from the tub in damp robes, her eyes blinking away the last few droplets of water. “I can’t leave after washing my hair.”

Na-ri scoffed. “When have you ever cared about your appearance?”

The words were unfortunately true. Hye-ri began to dress into her daily hanbok without another word, her sister keeping an eye on the back door. If their father were to catch onto their plan, it would likely end in the fashion of war stories.

“If father wakes up, I will think of an excuse.” Na-ri nudged her sister to the edge of the woods. “You must go quickly and return here in three hours at the most.” Hye-ri was almost frightened by the urgency, her feet glued to the ground. “You have to go! Now!”

Hye-ri nodded without a word. It appeared in her head as she sprinted through the woods that her sister had grown up when she wasn’t looking. The fire in such a small chest, barely even a woman yet, shocked the dancer into the realization that life was passing by all too quickly. It made her run with even more vigorance, the pathway to Byung-yeon seeming more clear in the moonlight than when shrouded by the sun.

The palace wall greeted her after a while, but the sheen of her arms covered in sweat would make for a rather unpleasant greeting. Byung-yeon would hopefully allow her to enter, but there was a chance he would urge her to leave. She wished she had something to threaten him with, but the only weapon she could think of was a kiss.

She might have lingered on the daydream for a short time longer, but something turned in her stomach. The wall where she normally entered, once covered in shrubbery, was now cut. The leaves were nowhere in sight, the crack now visible to the guards from all angles. If she were to step over it, there was no chance of making it through the palace unseen.

No, no, no. Her curses rang out. Why did he not tell me? This is my only way in. A sombering thought crossed her mind. Was he the one to do it?

Hye-ri could not spot any guards from her line of vision. She either took the risk and ran, or went back to never meet Byung-yeon. The mere thought was enough to send her head spinning, her feet instinctively flying over the wall. If it meant risking her life to meet him, her only hope was that his word could save her life. Perhaps not from her father, but hopefully from the sword of the King.

Hye-ri began to cross the tall grasses, only to note that they were also shorter than before. Her dark gown was the only chance she had for disguise, but as she neared the first set of servant quarters, Hye-ri realized her luck was beginning to wear thin.

From across the sanded courtyard, a gaze locked on her. She couldn’t hear what he shouted, but his fingers were like an taut arrow aimed straight for her heart. The pounding in her chest rang within her ears as she realized they were coming for her, but her feet were faster. She darted out into the firelight, their bodies now only feet away. She tried to calculate her chances of making it to Byung-yeon’s home in time, but that was left to the fate of the universe.

“Stop her!” A voice rang out into the silence. “Catch her and bring her to the King!”

Hye-ri’s arms were pumping at her sides as she darted in between buildings. Nothing was to be done when she noted another pair of soldiers approaching from the front, their red robes an unfortunate premonition of blood about to be shed. Their arms grab each of hers like runaway child, her body being hoisted above the ground as they carried her.

“Let me go!” She shouted, kicking at the air in front of her. “I need to speak to the palace guard!”

“We are the palace guards,” a soldier spat. “And luckily for you; you’ve got your wish.”

“Byung-yeon!” She shouted, kicking harder as they reached the throne room. “I need to speak to Kim Byung-yeon!”

The grip on her tightened. “She’s calling the Prince’s guard by his name. I wonder how she could possibly know him.” The two men exchanged glances that Hye-ri did not want to understand. It was likely they mistook her for a woman of the night, albeit a cheap one considering her attire. She hated when anyone looked down on such people, but she was ashamed to admit that it was more atrocious to be mistaken for one.

The palace throne room was now just beneath her feet, her body being flung onto the floor like a wet rag. The impact shook her bones, her body too frail to stand up. Even if she had wanted to, a figure approaching from the side kept her glued to the panels.

“Your Highness,” her voice shook as she caught sight of the King. He did not look pleased, his eyes darting into her soul. Did he recognise her without the makeup? Was it possible that he could save her life? “I am sorry to disturb the palace at such a late hour. Forgive me, but I-”

“Did I ask you for an explanation?” His voice was like thunder. “You come into the royal palace and disrupt the sleep of my servants and myself. I do not even feel the need to ask who you are, as your attire makes it clear that you are a common peasant and thief.”

Hye-ri finally glanced up, her head shaking back and forth. There was no doubt that her bun had fallen, the lilac smell now mixed with sweat and soil. “Your Highness, I would never wish something like that. I have danced for you only two days before, and I have grown fond of your family.”

The dark circles beneath his eyes had become more clear. It seemed her dance had not quite helped his night terrors. “You are the dancer who entered my palace? The same who moved my soul so deeply? If it is true, then I can be certain of your ways. You came and saw the lavish nature in which we live and wanted a taste for yourself. Did I not pay you handsomely? Did I not shower you in compliments?” His rage from other stresses of the kingdom were now falling like snow onto her. “Perhaps the word of the King is no longer satisfying for the people of my kingdom, of which they live by and make a happy life!”

Hye-ri dropped her head onto the floorboards. Whether it was to show her shame or to simply hide the tears that were now coming in streams, she was unsure. “That is not why I have come.” She was unable to explain herself. “Please, your Highness. I would never do such a thing. I would never wish to upset you or the Empress.”

He scoffed, unimpressed by the words of a commoner. Hye-ri wondered how he had ever raised a child like Lee Yeong, but then he realized that the Prince belonged to his mother. “What is it that you have come for?” His arm raised dramatically. “If not riches, then what? I am very interested in hearing your story.”

Hye-ri’s lips shook with unspoken words. “I…” How was she to explain? If he knew she had fallen for a palace guard, that would still likely get her thrown in prison. Perhaps it would even put Byung-yeon at risk, as his focus was to be the Prince’s safety at all times. There was nothing she could do but lie, and continue to plead for his understanding. “Your Highness, I…”

“The girl has no words.” He waved his hand at one of the soldiers. “Get rid of her. Take her to the prison and have her executed by tomorrow morning.” Hye-ri released a cry, her body collapsing into a plead.  “I must admit that I am somewhat ashamed by the weakness of theives in my village. I would hope for them to at least try to-”

“Please wait, your Highness.”

It was a voice from behind. Hye-ri did not need to turn to see who it belonged to.

“What brings you here?” The King questioned more calmly.

“She is with me. If you are to charge her with punishment, I request that you give the same to me.”

“She has come to see you?”

“Yes…” The voice of her saviour was shaky, as if he had been running. “I saw her performance the other night and heard many good words about her work. These days have been stressful for many of us in the palace, and as I could not sleep, I requested her presence.” The King was finally listening. “She was simply to dance as I had little time, to which case I also requested that she not bring formal attire. If you wish to blame her, please take my wrists as well, your Highness.”

A long silence stretched over the room. Hye-ri’s forehead was now a permanent part of the floor, her sobs coming out unwillingly now. The last thing she wanted to do was weep like a newborn child in front of the King, but her heart was too heavy to remain strong.

“I have no reason not to trust you.” The King’s voice coughed back into its former eloquent state. “I am unsure as to why she came in through such a way, but if you say that she belongs to you, then so be it. Apparently the girl has made a name for herself.” Hye-ri seemed to be safe, but further orders took some time to follow. “Bring her with you. Get her out of my sight and make sure she leaves the palace from the entrance this time.”

“Yes, your Highness.”

The sound of feet disappearing thundered through Hye-ri’s ears. Her body was still shaking from the past few minutes, her stomach moving towards . A pair of gentle hands found themselves beneath her arms, hauling her limp body upwards without a fight.

“It’s alright,” a voice whispered in her ear. “I’ve got you now. I’ve got you.”

Hye-ri kept her head down in shame, her hair now tumbling over her shoulders in a damp mess. She was ushered out of the hall with grace and humility, but a familiar pair of shoes greeted her downwards vision as they left the throne hall steps.

“What is going on here?” It was Lee Yeong this time, his glossy shoes mocking her.

“I need to get her to my quarters.” The man began to usher her away, but Lee Yong’s grip halted them both. She could hear the neck of her saviour turning. “Let us go. You’ve already done enough to help her.”

Unsure of what the accusation meant, the Prince let his hand slip. Hye-ri’s eyelids pressed shut, the curses towards herself flying through her head from every direction. It was only a short walk to the man’s room, but when she arrived there, there was nothing that she could think of to say.

“Are you ever going to look at me?”

Hye-ri finally glanced upwards, her head still drooped. Yoon-sung stared back at her with something akin to affection, his beautiful purple robes blinding in the white room. The presence of him along with his kindness recalled her heart’s old feelings towards him. She felt her lip quiver with the reminder that he had never loved her, nor anything close to it, but he stepped forward to stop her from weeping once more.

“You’ve always been strong, Hye-ri.” His fingers brushed her hair gently away. It was too gentle, too sweet. “Don’t fail me in this moment.”

“How did you know?” She choked. “How did you know that I was here?”

He smiled, the pink of his lips mocking her. “What other woman would shout ‘Byung-yeon’ through the palace this late at night?” He glanced away, a similar hue from his lips now landing in his cheeks. “Truthfully, I have always worried about you sneaking in here. Perhaps my mind is sharply attuned to you being in danger.”

Hye-ri allowed herself to note their proximity. His eyelids folded over once more than her own, the lashes on them seeming longer in the candlelight. His cheekbones were sharp, defining his smile even more when he were to do so. Overall, he was incredibly handsome. It was not a surprise that women flocked at the sight of him, and perhaps it was no surprise that she had once done the same.

And yet, her feelings were long gone. Her heart now pound with gratitude, not love. Her eyes now blinked with humility, not wonder. Her hands now took his in reward, not confession. When she felt the warmth of his palms, it was his heartbeat that could be felt through her fingertips now.

“I cannot thank you enough for what you have done.” Yoon-sung did not smile. His eyes seemed to be locked onto their intertwined hands. “Can you help me leave this place? I need to get back before my father discovers that I am missing.”

Yoon-sung stared at her fallen hair. It was rare to see a woman looking so free, but it stirred him to note that Hye-ri was almost  beautiful. Whether it was because of her bravery or the nature of her flushed cheeks and wet hair, Yoon-sung began to ask himself why he had never truly looked at her.

“Yes,” he coughed. “Of course I can get you out of here, but you must wait only a few more minutes. If they think you have come here for a dance, you must pretend to have given me one. Afterwards, I will take you home.”

She raised her palm. “That is not necessary. I can take myself. I only need safe passage to the entrance.”

Yoon-sung blinked in bewilderment. There was a time where she would have never rejected a chance to be with him. “You are to be married soon.”

“Tomorrow.”

“Have you come here to confess yourself to Byung-yeon?”

Hye-ri smirked, the tears now gone from sight. “I cannot explain why I came. I simply had to meet him.”

Yoon-sung nodded slowly. “I see. Then it is a shame that you ended up with me instead.”

Hye-ri felt a strange tug on her heart. Something sounded bitter in his voice, but she could not blame him. They all used to be friends, and now he was left alone on the outskirts. While the three others danced and had their fun, Yoon-sung was pushed into a life of strict academic excellence and loyalty to the family over those not related by blood. Realizing that this may have affected him more than she thought, Hye-ri brought her fingertips to his.

“No, Yoon-sung. It will never be a shame to know you.”

~.~.~.~.~.~.~

That same night in the palace, Byung-yeon was not the only one who could not sleep. He kept replaying images of Hye-ri’s father from the evening before. It was clear that he could never get near the farmer’s daughter again if it meant her safety was at stake. Otherwise, if he were to meet her again, it would have to be with a proposal of marriage on his lips.

Down below him, wrapped tightly in her thick covers, rested Ra-on. Byung-yeon could not shake her real name from his memory, and he desperately made sure for it not to accidentally slip out.

With a heavy sigh, she looked up at him, as if aware of his keen stare. He set loose a breath too, unsure if he should simply ask her about the past or leave it buried. And yet, she was his only way to finding the man that could save Joseon for the better.

“Kim Hyung." Her gentle voice floated to the roof. “Do you have something on your mind?”

“No.” He stared straight ahead. “I have a question.”

“What is it?”

He was careful of his wording. “What did you do before you became a eunuch?”

“Did I not tell you that I was in a performance troupe?”

“And before then?”

Ra-on smiled to herself. “I lived with my mother.”

Byung-yeon’s head turned slightly with curiosity. They were now entering a conversation about family, and it only seemed fitting to mention the others. “What about your father?”

“I was told he passed away when I was very young. I do not even know his name.” There was no denying the genuity of her words. “All I have is the memory of my mother.”

Byung-yeon looked away. She was not lying; she did not know of her father. What did that mean for his chase? “It must have been difficult,” he admitted with kindness.

“Why do you ask about my past all of a sudden?”

Byung-yeon’s mind whirled back to the sight he had seen earlier. Ra-on and Lee Yeong had been together. It made him think of the question he had asked so long ago, about what made living their life so bearable. “Do you still like the palace?”

Ra-on could not seem to find an answer. In her stomach, she felt that a seed of doubt was beginning to grow. Did Byung-yeon know about her feelings towards the Prince? Did others know? Byung-yeon’s words had not been malicious, but there was more stress within him during the past few days than before. He had always seemed locked in a dark place, but with the news of Hye-ri’s marriage, that world was spreading beyond the lock.

“What about your past?”

“It does not upset me.”

Ra-on sat up a bit straighter. “But you trained every day for so long. You did not have the freedoms that other children had.”

Byung-yeon reflected on Hye-ri as a child, her nose covered with dirt and her braid loose with youthful curls. He thought of Lee Yeong and his intelligence, which showed through his actions more than academic achievements. There were no greater people he could have asked to have been at his side. “I would not change it for the world,” he whispered.

Ra-on smiled. “I can guess as to why.” They both thought about her comment in a moment of silence. “But, Kim Hyung… what are you going to do if she gets married?”

Byung-yeon’s eyes flickered to a shut. No more words followed, as it was a question he could only answer in his imagination.