A Foreign Feeling

Shifting Clouds

Hye-ri’s chest was heaving with beads of sweat, but she could also taste the sweetness of her lips. When she touched them, she imagined that her fingers were Byung-yeon’s parted kiss. Frozen at the end of her performance, the moonlight came shimmering against her white hanbok. Although it was unwarranted, the customer applauded.

“That was marvelous. I’ve never seen anyone dance with such passion before. I truly feel as though a weight has been lifted from my chest.”

Hye-ri bowed deeply to him, her palms pressing into the grass. It felt like her sister’s soft hair. “I hope that your inhibitions have been released and that sleep and good fortune finds you. Your ancestors wish it to be so.”

He nodded heavily. “The demons have been trapped in my soul for quite some time.”

“Yes.” Her words were like butterfly wings. “I can understand that.”

With a flick of her thin wrist, the teacher summoned Hye-ri to the front of the house. Out of fear that she was being scolded, her chin tucked into her collarbone. “What was that?”

“I’m sorry for the disappointment.” The words came naturally.

“It was brilliant.” The words were clearly difficult to say. “You’ve never moved with such focus and attention to detail. Your emotions were powerful tonight.” A warm hand met the girl’s shoulder. “I’m proud of you, Kang Hye-ri.”

The dancer’s feet dug into the soft earth below. She could feel the mud squishing between her toes to cool her body down. “Thank you very much for your kind words.”

“You’ve made him very happy.” She was speaking of the elder. “For that, I won’t keep you any longer. It’s getting quite late and I want you to rest before we have to get back to work.”

Hye-ri’s dark brows shot up. “I can leave?”

A curt nod was her only response. Hye-ri knew that it was rude to display her teeth so passionately, but she could not resist the temptation. After her shockingly white smile, Hye-ri danced through the village to the outskirts of town. The Kang family’s hanok was high on the hill. Light was still flickering from the inside.

Hye-ri threw her scarf onto the front porch, kicking her shoes off lazily before heading inside. Her eyes sealed shut along with the doors. “I’ve come home early!” There was a tune in her words, but no further hum. When she cracked open her vision, three unimpressed faces glanced back at her.

“Kang Hye-ri, this is Mister and Missus Park.” Her father outstretched his hand to introduce them, but she thought he looked like a beggar asking for loose change.

Hye-ri bowed deeply, unsure of why she was doing so. “It’s nice to meet you.”

“You should wait outside with your sister.” It was an order rather than a suggestion. “There will be supper when you return.”

Hye-ri did as she was told. Her feet rose onto their highest point as she carefully made her way towards the back entrance. It was easier to pretend the floor was glass. She could still feel the eyes of the Park family on her falling bun and ruffled hanbok, but at least she looked slightly presentable for… whoever they were.

Na-ri seemed to have been waiting. She twisted a corn husk doll around her muddy fingers, her eyes landing on Hye-ri the second her bodice slipped softly outside. “You’re back early.”

“I am.”

“You don’t know who they are, do you?” Na-ri’s voice reflected the times she spoke about the mother she had never known. It twisted Hye-ri’s heart.

“I don’t know.” Her tired legs carried her to the porch edge where her sister sat thinking. “Can you tell me?”

Na-ri poked at the toy’s head. “They’re here for you.”

“What do you mean?” Hye-ri began to undo her sister’s braid. It was a temporary distraction for the dark pit growing in her stomach. “Why would they be here for me?”

“Hye-ri, is there anyone that you like?”

Her hands slipped through the thick strands. “Your imagination is running wild again.”

Na-ri spun around this time, accidentally tugging her hair. She didn’t seem to notice. “This is really important. Do you like Kim Hyung?” The question was so straightforward that Hye-ri didn’t have time to process a way out. Her lips parted with unspoken words that were easily read by a child. “Of course you do.”

Hye-ri’s hands were too big as they cupped her sister’s shoulders. “Na-ri, who are those people? What are they here for?”

“They’re here to arrange your wedding.”

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Hye-ri did not eat dinner that night. When her father tried to reason with her, his words had become distant and fleeting, like the sound of a wave slipping back to the sea. She wished she was at the sea. The salty wind would have felt nice against her skin. Time would have froze.

The next morning was the same. Hye-ri knew there was an invisible rock on her chest, because she often found herself struggling to breathe. There was no work, making the hours seem much longer than even a Salpuri dance. Her sister eyed her carefully throughout the entire afternoon as they washed and cut vegetables.

“I don’t feel well.” Na-ri’s voice was loud. Hye-ri did not glance upwards. “I really, really don’t want to deliver these to the palace today.”

“It’s your duty.” Hye-ri could have been mistaken for a guard. Her words were emotionless. “We must always follow our duties in this house.”

Na-ri grumbled as her plan failed. At least it was only the first try. “Hye-ri, you’re not working today. Why don’t you take these to the palace for me?”

They were the only words Hye-ri needed to hear. Her head shot up instantly after her mind had latched itself to Na-ri’s plan. “Are you sure you’re not feeling too well? I could go in your place.” Their father was listening absentmindedly. “Father, did you hear that? Na-ri isn’t feeling well again.”

Her illness had given them quite a scare. There wasn’t any chance that her father would let the child go. “Hye-ri, you must go in her place. Just be back by dinner.”

She barely heard his final request. Her hands were already locked onto the barrow, her feet pushing it speedily along the forest path. Going to the palace would be nothing but a nuisance to those around her, but Hye-ri had to speak to someone. Anyone. There was no particular reason as to why she was so desperate for communication, but perhaps she wanted to admit aloud the confession she held so tightly in the confines of her mind.

Hye-ri reached the palace in nearly half of her usual time. The guards started at her with raised brows. Offering them a carrot seemed to put everyone in a better mood. She clamored her way easily through the back gate, the sound of her wheelbarrow enough to wake even the most hardworking gisaeng.

“Kang Hye-ri.” It was one of the cooks. “What are you doing here?”

“My sister is ill again.” It seemed twisted that she said it with a smile. “I came to deliver the vegetables on her behalf.”

“Very well.” He swatted her away like a bee. “Head off now.”

Hye-ri didn’t object. She flicked through the long grasses of the palace gardens to Byung-yeon’s hut. Nobody seemed to notice her as the sun was set. She was secretly hopeful that a guest from China would reveal himself. She had a erse interest to compare their looks.

Sneaking in through the side door, Hye-ri called out into the hall. Nobody replied. The eunuch’s belongings were entirely gone. It made her worry for the strange little man, but her heart was more fixated on when Byung-yeon would return. If she was late for dinner, it would likely be the last time she came to the palace for months.

In the back of the room lay gisaeng clothes. They had been there when Byung-yeon first claimed the territory, and so were not viewed as a threat in light of recent circumstances. Hye-ri understood that if she were to meet with anyone, it would not be possible as a vegetable merchant.

She quickly and quietly changed into the soft linens. It felt wonderful to have the color pink pressed against her skin, the bright hue of it making her tone seem far less brown. She pulled back her hair as neatly as could be managed, grabbing a dragon pin and slipping it through the low bun. Using the tips of her fingers, she pinched her cheeks repeatedly to create a natural rogue. If she had a mirror, she might have even called herself pretty.

Hye-ri danced through the palace paths as nonchalantly as possible. Byung-yeon was likely with the Crown Prince, but she would need to arrive at his quarters in a somewhat covert nature. She was only a few steps away from the back of the building when a tight hand clamped itself over .

“Don’t bite me!” Yoon-sung’s voice rang in her ear as she attempted to kick backwards. “You’re not an animal, Kang Hye-ri, although there are moments where I struggle to believe it.” He released her. “What are you doing here?”

“I need Byung-yeon.” She replayed her words. “I need to speak to Byung-yeon.”

“The Chinese Ambassador is here.” It was perhaps the first time he had sounded angry. “You’re digging yourself a hole right now, and furthermore putting my reputation on the line.”

“You?” She chortled. “What does me being here have to do with you?”

“Did you really think you were going to get inside?” He rolled his eyes, almost disappointed. “I’m the only one here known to keep gisaengs around at this time of night, and the only one Lee Yeong will allow to come into his quarters with one.” A pain from the past dug at her heart. “Come with me. Quickly.”

They managed to get past the two main guards of the Prince’s quarters. In fact, they seemed highly disinterested in the personal affairs of the palace royals. It made Hye-ri wonder why women cared so much.

They were outside of Lee Yeong’s door now, a candle lighting up the square panels from the inside out. Yoon-sung knocked three times. “If you need me for any reason, take this.” He slipped a piece of wood in her palm. His hands were too cold. “You just need to show this to the men outside of my quarters and they’ll-”

The door flew open with Byung-yeon at the other side. His face held no surprise, as if he half expected them to be there. He did not, however, enjoy seeing their hands intertwined before him.

The Prince’s head popped out from behind Byung-yeon’s figure. “What’s going on? What are you two doing here?”

“Just leaving,” Yoon-sung mumbled.

“I… I needed to talk to someone.” She sounded incredibly pathetic given the political situation.

Unable to hide his annoyance, Lee Yeong ushered for her to come inside. Yoon-sung gave her fingers a final squeeze before disappearing. It had to have been the hundredth time he slipped away from her.

“What’s the matter?” Lee Yeong’s lips parted against the rim of a cup. She could smell alcohol on his sleeves. “We have some personal problems of our own to attend to.”

Hye-ri nodded too many times. “I am aware of that. Where is your eunuch? Maybe I can speak to him.”

“Locked away at the moment.” Something akin to heartache laced his words. “He got into a row with the Chinese Ambassador.”

Hye-ri’s eyes shot to Byung-yeon. “How could that happen?”

“It seems he took a liking to Sam-nom.” The Prince answered with anger dripping from his tongue. Hye-ri did not ask for further explanation.

“Sam-nom will be fine; I’m sure of it.” Now that she was aware of the issues occuring, her own problems felt small. Being married to a stranger was a blessing from the afterlife in comparison to what the eunuch was going through.

“The Qing envoy is scheduled to leave at 8AM the day after tomorrow.” Byung-yeon spoke easily, his eyes far away.

Lee Yeong’s words sounded desperate. “Is there no news of the arrival of the Inspector from Qing?”

“No, I don’t think he’s arrived yet.”

The Prince’s eyes squinted in frustration. “You must find it… the evidence that could hang the envoy.”

Hye-ri thought back to the book in the temple. The puzzle clicked together in her head. Byung-yeon already had the evidence, he just couldn’t use it. If he handed it over to the Prince, his cover would disappear and the safety of his group would be put under scrutiny.

She saw Byung-yeon’s eyelids weaken.  They twitched sideways to look at her, his dark lashes covering up some of the trepidation she knew was spreading over his heart.

“What are you both thinking about so deeply?”

Hye-ri and Byung-yeon snapped back to attention. “Excuse me?” Byung-yeon muttered. “I’m sorry. What did you just say?”

Lee Yeong looked as though his annoyance could stretch no further. “I asked how many people are guarding the front of my sleeping quarters. Can you make a path out for me?” He looked over at Hye-ri. The blue of the night sky seeped in the windows behind him, engulfing the room in a state of solitude. “What are we going to do about you?”

Hye-ri rubbed the back of her neck. Byung-yeon wanted to pull her hand down. “Don’t worry about me. I can sneak out during all of the commotion.” They stared at her in silence. “What are you waiting for? Change clothes!”

“Change clothes?” It was clear that was not the plan Byung-yeon was aiming for.

“If you switch clothes and Byung-yeon leaves quickly, they’ll chase after him. That will give you a chance to escape.” Hye-ri assumed he was leaving to see his eunuch. “If anyone tries to follow you as a guard, I can keep them distracted.”

They did not disagree. It was a rather smart plan in the end.

After ordering her to look away, the gentlemen began to undress. Hye-ri was, unfortunately, standing in the only part of the room with a polished teapot. She could see the slight reflection of Byung-yeon’s muscles in the shine.

“Hye-ri, I’m moving now.” Byung-yeon’s lips were at her ear. “Meet me in my quarters.”

She nodded curtly, afraid that the person she was speaking to about her marriage plans was the one person she wanted to hide them from.

The next few moments happened quickly. Byung-yeon was out the window in a flash, his hat never once slipping from its high position. The guards darted to the back of the house, grateful that they were finally putting their training to use. It gave Lee Yeong and Hye-ri the perfect chance to make their paths through the main courtyard.

“You’re going left and I’m going right,” Hye-ri whispered to him before they parted. “I hope your friend is okay.”

“I hope that you’re okay, Hye-ri. I’m sorry that we couldn’t speak for longer. What is it that you wanted to say?”

Hye-ri hesitated. “It seems that I’m getting married.”

The look that passed the Prince’s face was too quick to be read. Guards were already returning, and they both needed to run. Without a proper explanation, she fled the scene. Her feet found their way easily to the old shed, the rough wood threatening to plant splinters into the soles of her thin shoes. Slamming the door behind her, she found that Byung-yeon was already tucked in the corner.

“That was fast.” Truthfully, she was not surprised. She was surprised, however, to find him in his undergarments.

“I managed to get rid of the outfit when I caught a corner. They couldn’t follow my trail.” His underlying words were clear to her. Idiots.

Hye-ri nodded without thought. Her head continued to bob like a dead fish on a busy stream. Byung-yeon stared blankly.

“About that thing-”

“You don't have to tell me.” She froze. “I can tell when you're nervous.”

Her clamped teeth slipped a sharp breath in. “I just don't know how.”

“How to do what?”

Her eyes fell to his bare chest. There were cuts littered across his refined muscles, the stories they told not to be whispered at the bedside. “How to tell you…”

Byung-yeon carefully slipped on his uniform. It was the lightest shade he owned, the deep blue and green hues charming against his hair’s long waves. She wondered why he hadn't mentioned the kiss. “You should go back.”

Hye-ri felt her heart drop beneath her feet. When she looked down, it was only a soju cup. “You’re right… I should go back.”

Byung-yeon’s skin was hot. He hid in the corner out of fear that she could see his blush. Was it possible for her to note the adrenaline coursing through his veins? He wasn't sure where her abilities ended when it came to seeing through him. All he knew was that he regretted kissing her. Not because it hadn't been as good as he expected, it had been better than expected, but because the longer he let it melt into his conscience like butter, the more uneasy he felt. It was unfair when he could not marry her and he knew that. Whatever she came to speak to him about registered on an emotional level, and he wasn't sure if he could sacrifice being her shoulder any longer.

Hye-ri turned to walk out the door and he let her. He let her fallen hair splash behind her as the door swung back. He let the crash of the door hinge ring in his ears like a warning bell. He let his hand fall over his chest to feel the new sensation of enveloping regret.

Never had Hye-ri’s walk been so swift. Her mind was so far from the raised brick walls that her feet seemed suspended on air. If that was the sensation of walking on clouds, as her mother had often expressed when she was a child, then Hye-ri didn’t enjoy it. Her mother had hiked the mountains of Joseon and walked amongst the morning mist, but Hye-ri only felt as if she were running from her problems.

Frustration came out in the form of tears. They didn’t dare to fall, but rather clutch with their dew drop hands to the edge of her dark eyes. The tightness of her jaw scared her; it may have snapped at any moment.

She soon found herself kicking her way through the vines of the forgotten entry, unaware that they were slicing through the delicate nature of her borrowed dress. Her clothes were still in Byung-yeon’s hut, but there was no way to turn back. She would have to be quite creative with her lie when she returned home.

When she did return home, however, nobody was awake. Her dinner was left on the only table that the family owned, steam still curling upwards like a ghost dance. Beside it lingered a harmless flower of purple and yellow hues.

It was a father’s quiet way of saying, ‘I’m sorry’.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~

Na-ri awoke late in the morning. Her sister was already busy cooking breakfast, her dry fingers absentmindedly bringing carrots to their death.

“Why do you have a bandage on your arm?” Na-ri rubbed at her eyes.

Hye-ri had little energy to lie. “I cut myself on vines when running out of the palace.”

“That was three days ago. Why were you running?”

“Because I didn’t want anyone to see me.”

“Why didn’t you want anyone to see you?”

The spoon slammed into the rim of the bowl. “Why do you ask so many questions?”

Na-ri bit her bottom lip. Annoying her father was one thing, but when Hye-ri was mad, Na-ri wanted nothing to do with it. “Are you going back today? Who is going to deliver the groceries?”

“The Prince can pick his own vegetables.”

Na-ri sunk further beneath her blanket. It seemed safer there than the kitchen. “Father will be awfully mad when he comes back to see that you haven’t brought them. We’ll lose the only job we have.”

Hye-ri shrugged as if they were making a play. “I’ll soon be married to a man that builds canals. He’ll be paid handsomely, so your concerns are of nothing to me anymore. How you make money is your own business.”

Na-ri lifted a brow. “You were always mean, but you were never that mean.”

Hye-ri froze over the stew. “I know that.” Her voice disappeared in a moment. “I’m sorry. There are a lot of things on my mind right now.” She glanced over at her sister, finally wearing a playful smile. “What do you suggest I do to clear my head?”

“I would go to the palace.”

Hye-ri snorted. “You just don’t want to get yelled at.”

“No.” Her eyes made her seem like a bug. “Because you want to see Kim Hyung.”

There was no sense in denying what was so clearly the truth. With a gentle hand, Hye-ri brought the plate over to her sister. “Eat this and get to work in the field. I have to take the food to the palace, but I’ll be back right afterwards.” She poked her sister’s temple. “Then we can fix your hair, hm?”

Na-ri understood her sister well. When there was an opportunity to argue, she took it. She was boisterous, loud, and perhaps to most Joseon parents she would have been a nuisance, but she was undoubtedly brave. Avoiding a simple statement made by someone half her age was a cover up. Hye-ri was hiding feelings that she wasn’t even aware she had.

Na-ri watched her sister leave with a full mouth of greens. The sound of crickets was too loud for her to think straight, but there was a feeling in the bottom of her tiny stomach that her sister would in fact not be returning directly afterwards.

Hye-ri trudged along to the palace with the sun high. She didn’t normally arrive so early, but with the Chinese envoys as guests, food needed to be consistently stocked. She wasn’t even sure if their farm could keep up with it. Na-ri had made the trip the last two days while Hye-ri danced, but it was her day off. Admittedly, she couldn’t avoid Byung-yeon forever.

When she arrived at the green and red gates, Hye-ri had little energy to pass a smile at the guards. They let her come through with concern for the simple girl’s good nature.

It seemed nobody was in the kitchen. Nobody rested at the doors of the royalty bedrooms either, offering a strange atmosphere to the place. Like a child, Hye-ri spoke to noone. “Hello?” Her voice was a distant mumble lost against the sound of a nearby stream.

Hye-ri knew it was out of place to make her way over to the edge of the wall when she spotted a crowd up ahead. She snuck further forward behind a building, suddenly recalling that it was the day the envoys left. Lee Yeong was unmistakable in his blue robes, but he stood in front of a small figure wearing white. His hands seemed to be bound and it did not take a genius to realize that it was Sam-nom.

What mess has this eunuch gotten himself into? Hye-ri thought with a shake of her head. Even I don’t get into as much trouble as him.

The ambassador, of whom Hye-ri could only see his elegant red arm inside the carriage, said something in a strange voice. Hye-ri couldn’t help but scrunch her nose at the sound of it. Clear Korean words followed. “I am overwhelmed to see you sending us off personally.”

“I’m grateful for your gratitude.” The sarcasm in the Prince’s voice was sharp enough to be shot through with an arrow.

Hye-ri nearly screamed aloud at what followed. Lee Yeong reached to his sword and stretched it before him, the tip just beneath the ambassador’s throat. Turning to press her back against the wall, she wondered if it were best to simply leave the barrow and return for it at another time. Although if she stayed to see how things turned out, it was likely that nobody would take note of her presence. She was no longer the most foreign thing in the palace.

She was unable to come to a decision, however, when she noticed something unusual on the wall beside her. She could spot Byung-yeon resting on a tree branch beside her, his head shaking back and forth in disappointment. He traced a long line across his neck. No words were needed.

Hye-ri mouthed to him. ‘What are you doing?’

‘What are you doing?’

Hye-ri made eating gestures. ‘Vegetables!’

Byung-yeon waved a finger. ‘Follow me.’

She shook her head.

‘Side gate. Five minutes.’

Hye-ri didn’t even wait three seconds. She was off in a flash as the tensions continued to raise behind her. When she appeared at the side gate of the forest, Byung-yeon’s hands roughly found her shoulders. There was barely any time to shout at him before he had one hand pinned over .

“I’m sorry about this.” He didn’t sound apologetic. “I need to know what you’re doing here. Things are about to get very dangerous.”

Hye-ri forcefully shoved him off. “You already know why I’m here! I came to deliver the food!”

“Keep your voice down.”

She poked his chest roughly, the stitching on his uniform more delicate than the hems of her skirts. “You keep it down. Why are you hiding out in the middle of the forest?”

Byung-yeon looked annoyed. “The envoy is stealing tribute offerings.”

A frown slid across the girl’s face. Byung-yeon couldn’t remember when he last saw her smile. “That’s a pretty nasty ordeal. And you’re going to do something about it, I suppose?”

There were too many things to preoccupy his thoughts. Lee Yeong’s safety was in danger. Joseon as a whole was in danger. The King's sanity was in danger, but nothing mattered more in that moment than what was shredding his heart in two. If he waited any longer, there would be no more pieces left to shred. “Hye-ri, why didn’t you tell me that you were getting married?”

A bird sang loudly nearby. It’s voice was high and sweet, like the voice of a young girl. It seemed to wait for a response, but no reply came.

“I wanted to tell you.”

Byung-yeon’s hands still held her. “But you didn’t.”

He almost missed her next words. “I couldn’t think. I can’t think.” She took a step away from him. “I don’t see why it matters to you.” You pushed me away. You didn’t want me here.

Byung-yeon was unsure of how to express himself. Nobody had ever taught him. “It... doesn’t matter to me." The sound of footsteps flooded into their ears. Byung-yeon’s arm instictively shot out across her chest, protecting her from invisible daggers. She didn’t push it away, as much as she wanted to. “Wait here.”

“I’m coming with you.”

He brought his face to hers. “You have no armour. You have no weapon. You’ll be killed.”

She took a step closer, their lips less than an inch apart. “I’m coming with you.”

There was no sense in arguing. “Stay behind the trees where they can’t see you.”

The two made their way to the crowd. Hye-ri did as she was told, the green hues of her dress fitting to blend with the natural environment around her. Lee Yeong was not far away when he joined Byung-yeon’s side, but he did not seem to be aware of her presence. It was often like that with him. When Byung-yeon broke their path, she tucked herself further into the forest. 

“I had an important present prepared…” The Prince’s words were almost playful as the Chinese envoys gasped over their stolen goods. “But it seems that I’ve forgotten it.” His sword unsheathed with a song simiar to the bird’s.

“I will do it myself,” Byung-yeon spoke in his usual formal manner. “Please step back.”

Lee Yeong chuckled. “You should have said that before I pulled my sword out.”

The men charged at one another without a second of hesitation. The fight was unequally matched, but not because of number. Byung-yeon alone could have killed the envoys off in less than two minutes, but with Lee Yeong at his side, it was a rather swift team effort.

Hye-ri hated watching at the side lines. There was not enough false confidence inherself to claim that she could fight a trained man, but there was nothing that made her feel worse than the idea that you were worthless. She darted over to the carts while chaos broke out around them. She was still invisible, and decided to use that to her advantage.

Planning to break Sam-nom rom his bounds, Hye-ri noticed the eunuch was nowhere to be seen. Before any of the valuable goods spilt onto the earthen floor, Hye-ri began to click the boxes shut. The Chinese ambassador was only a few feet beside her, but with his eyes like a dog about to be beat, he began to run.

A sword rested in the hands of a fallen fighter. Hye-ri plucked it from his tight fingers, peeling them back with more difficulty than a fruit peel. When she finally took hold of the dagger, she was close enough to threaten the runaway.

“Try leaving.” She brought the tip just beneath his doubled chin, his eyes blind to gender. “Just try.”

A sharp sound whizzed above their heads. Another dagger stuck out of the wooden frame behind them, setting free a shout of surrender from the ambassador.

Hye-ri angrily threw her dagger to the floor. “What the hell was that for? Did you not see that I had the situation under control?”

Byung-yeon blinked. “I knew it would miss.”

“Kang Hye-ri!” It was Lee Yeong. “What are you even doing here?” There was enough anger in his voice to suggest that she was no longer welcome.

She uncomfortably gestured to the fallen ambassador. “A simple ‘you’re welcome’ would suffice.”

Lee Yeong redirected his attention to his victory. “Not only were you stealing from the Emperor’s tribute, but you were also going to smuggle?” Hye-ri snatched the dagger from the wood and brought it beneath the ambassador's neck. Neither of her friends objected. “I heard that if anyone was caught smuggling the sulfur and Bull’s horn of the Qing, they’d be exiled. Isn’t that so, Byung-yeon?”

“Sulfur is death penalty, your Highness.”

“I will say that it's a set up!” The ambassador fought with shaking words. “Who do you think the Emperor will believe?”

“You’re right. There’s no way that he will believe my words, so I invited another guest.”

Hye-ri followed their gaze down the dirt path. A group of beautifully clad Chinese inspectors were headed their way, their robes worth more than Hye-ri made in three years. She suddenly felt ashamed of her appearance and let the dagger slip from her hands. Sticking around to hear the end of their conversation was not vital. Trouble had been caused, victory had been won. Lee Yeong would run to save his beloved eunuch and Hye-ri would make her way home alone. That was the way of the world, and she accepted it with little more than a twitch of the upper lip.

Hye-ri quickly ducked to the other side of the wall before the inspector could note her presence. Before she turned the corner, she noted the confused looks of her friends. But she didn’t feel the need to explain herself. Sometimes it was surprisingly exhausting to be the underdog.

The girl wasn’t sure how long she had stopped to catch her breath when Byung-yeon appeared. Even after fighting, his face looked pale and gentle. His hair parted halfway through his head, stripping a long strand over his eye as if he had styled it on purpose. It was the first time she could not read his expression.

Slowly, he sat beside her on the tree trunk. There wasn’t room for the both of them and yet neither stood. “He would have run if you weren’t there.”

Hye-ri dug her nail into the weak bark. “You would have caught him.”

“You ran too, and yet here you are.”

Hye-ri laughed with discomfort. “I was ashamed of my appearance in front of the inspector. You and his Highness are like royalty, but me being there would raise nothing but questions. Lee Yeong has enough on his plate to finish without his father enquiring why the vegetable girl was present at the scene of the crime.”

“You’re a hero.” Byung-yeon moved his hand closer towards hers. “I can see your training has paid off.”

There was no more soft bark to dig through. Instead, Hye-ri watched the branches sway above her. They looked as if they were offering a greeting. “It’s too peaceful of a day for me to feel so strange.” The next words were difficult to form. “Byung-yeon... I don’t want to get married.”

His face was calm. “To anyone?”

It was a trap and Hye-ri knew it. “To that man. I want to marry someone that I…” She plucked the dust from her sleeve. “Someone that understands me.”

“Please don’t."

Hye-ri heard the weight of his heart in every syllable. It forced her to look up. Now he was the one avoiding the gaze. “Don’t what?”

“Don’t marry him.”

“Byung-yeon, I-”

“I wouldn’t be able to see you again.” His body was slumped as if he had already given up. “If you married him, I couldn’t see you anymore.”

Hye-ri wondered if it was because she would have to leave the village. Or perhaps it was his inability to handle the sight of her with someone else, perhaps someone that could have made her happy. The idea was not impossible, and Byung-yeon latched to logic any time that it presented itself. It made praying in front of him very difficult.

“I don’t know what I will do. If I knew, I would have told you, but you’re not just anyone, Byung-yeon.” There was a slight smile in her voice. He could hear it without looking. “I’m starting to see that you understand me better than others.”

“And what does that offer me?” When he turned, their faces were dangerously close. They hadn’t realized it moments before, but now the intimacy was unmistakable.

Hye-ri was thankful they were alone. “You already know what I want.”

Byung-yeon tilted his head slightly. If he were to bring his lips to hers, they would fit like a puzzle. “You don’t want to marry him.”

Hye-ri’s eyelids fluttered, not with the wish for a kiss, but because she could feel his energy without looking him directly in the eye. “I don’t want to marry him.”

Byung-yeon’s hand lingered just above her hair. Her eyes were closed and she was unable see the difficulty in not touching her. “I didn’t want you to go back. I wanted you to stay.” There was an invisible hand around his throat that kept the words from coming out fully. “With me.”

Her eyes opened at the sight of his hand nearly touching her hair. Carefully, she brought her lips to his palm, his soft lifelines a gentle curve against . “I have to go.”

Byung-yeon’s mind betrayed him. He was always so sure of himself, certain of every move and each careful step. There was never a time he took a risk that he did not believe he could handle. That is, until the day he kissed Kang Hye-ri. She was the biggest mistake he had ever made. She was also the biggest reward.

“Stay with me.”

She moved back an inch. He winced slightly at the movement of his arm. “Byung-yeon, are you hurt?”

“No.”

“You’ve always been the worst liar.” She was already making his way to his back, but the sight of him was completely unexpected. There were deep cuts breaking through his silk uniform, bringing an unfitting shade of maroon to the sea green undertones. “We need to get back to the hut quickly. You can't wrap these wounds by yourself.”

Byung-yeon winced as her hand traced a slice near the edge of his neck. “Will you do it?”

She nodded, outstretching her hand towards him. “I’ll always take care of you.”