1. Sudden Reality

PRINCES OF CHINA

a/n: Around 95% of this chapter is from Zitao's POV. 


 

Listen to your heart, when he's calling for you.

Listen to your heart, there's nothing else you can do.

I don't know where you're going, and I don't know why.

Listen to your heart, before you tell him goodbye.

 

(Roxette - Listen To Your Heart)

 

 

Year 2016

 

By the age of 21, a prince is expected to marry a girl from a noble family. Lu Han and Yixing both did it exactly when they reached 21, but Zitao didn't. To be exact, today, on his 23rd birthday, he is going to get married. Zitao didn't want to do it, honestly, because he thinks he's too young and he has the army to look after. He thinks he wouldn't have much time to look after his family, but the emperor (as well as Yixing, while Lu Han only shrugged) wouldn't give up on this idea. The emperor convinced him that the girl was from a family that could strengthen the army, thus the kingdom would grow stronger than ever. Lu Han and Yixing also reassured him that having a wife isn't a bad thing; instead it would make him live a healthy life (which Zitao remarked that their minds were already too dirty) so he reluctantly agreed.

As always, Yixing is the one preparing the ceremony. He is such a great conductor for every ceremony in Forbidden City because of his sense of art. He himself is an opera actor whom you'll find beautiful on stage. Tonight, he and Lu Han are going to show their younger half-brother a magnificent play.

"But why are you taking the role as a woman, Yixing?" asked Zitao with frown on his forehead.

Yixing snickered. "You never watched my performance, huh? I'm used to taking a woman role. It suits me very well."

"Why?" Zitao looked surprised.

"Because I'm beautiful, you moron," Yixing remarked, and before Zitao could vomit he added, "just deal with it!"

Lu Han only chuckled seeing his younger half-brothers bickering. He himself felt relieved that he didn't have to take the woman role. What would the world say about a crown prince acting as a girl on an opera? Moreover, Yixing is famous for his gracious act whether it is a man or a woman role. And he's just as delicate as a girl usually is. Even Yixing's wife can't beat his fair and smooth skin.

The royal wedding ceremony is finally begun. The Hall of Supreme Court looks magnificent and the royal family members take their own seat. Zitao is happy, but for some reason he is quite confused about this wedding. The very first wedding of a prince would always be the one that the emperor and empress (and do not ever forget the empress dowager) had set for the sake of the kingdom. When it was Lu Han's wedding, they chose the prime minister's daughter. Roughly a year and a half later, they chose the daughter of the minister of education and culture to be Yixing's wife. Because the weddings were set up, they didn't really mind about who the girl was. They both were "to convince the emperor, empress, and empress dowager that the kingdom is somewhat safe". Now after two years persuading and even forcing Zitao, they chose the sister of the army's lieutenant.

Zitao doesn't know about Lu Han, but Yixing has come to love his wife. She is now pregnant and having bad morning sickness so Yixing, as a concerned husband, would always serve a fresh brewed dried tangerine peel to reduce the nausea feeling. Zitao wants to be able to love his wife, but what if someday he took another wife like Lu Han did? But after all, Lu Han is going to be enthroned in the future, so when he becomes the emperor later, he would already have the empress and a concubine. Zitao can see that Lu Han truly loves his second wife, as the girl is the one chosen by the crown prince himself. Fortunately she came from a noble family, so the emperor gave them permission and blessings to marry.

Hesitantly, Zitao peeks at his bride. He is now aware that the veil is too annoying; he can barely see her face but he knows that she's pretty. Pretty enough to make him blush. The empress dowager said that she is only 18 years old. Zitao feels relieved somehow, because if he married her two years ago, she wouldn't have been able to marry yet as she was still underage. His father, the emperor, issued the rule which says that legal marriage could be held when the male reaches the age of 21 and the female 18. His Highness did it to prevent baby boom. Zitao agrees with the idea, but he himself got married at the age of 23. Well, better late than never, though.

The wedding is military themed since they both come from family with background of military. But still, there's an opera performed by Yixing and his colleagues. Usually, his wife would act as well but since she's pregnant and having all those nausea vomitings, she could not participate. Instead, the male lead role is taken by Lu Han, while the female's is done by Yixing. Zitao has never been this happy.

Lu Han and Yixing are really close because their personalities are quite similar to each other. This closeness is shown on the stage, where Lu Han doesn't hesitate to act all lovey dovey with Yixing. Zitao wants to laugh after he saw his bride blushed watching the 'couple'. He realised that he never told her about the actors. He planned to not tell her but he doesn't want her to mistake Yixing as a girl forever.

"I beg you pardon, Your Highness. The female is actually Prince Yixing?" she asks, a bit surprised. Zitao could predict it. "And here I am wondering if the female was Crown Prince's new concubine. Oh no, wait, I don't mean to say anything rude..."

Zitao laughs. "No, I don't mind at all. I also secretly thought about that. But it's just that they are really close like twins. I did not know that Yixing could conduct Lu Han to act on stage, but I know they do it because I am their beloved brother."

His bride smiles brightly to him. "I can see Your Highness are close to them, too, to the point where Your Highness call them by their names."

He doesn't know if it's an impulse act or not, but Zitao takes his bride's hand and squeezes it tightly. His bride looks at him with no words spoken, but her cheeks are blushing and her lips are opened a bit. Zitao finds it cute in some way.

"You know, you can call me by my name, too. Call me Tao, and I'm all yours," he says softly, but loud enough for his bride to hear despite the crowds. He leans forward to kiss her back of the hand. "I can call you by your name as well, can't I?"

She is speechless for a second before nodding with a sweet smile.

"Of course, Tao. Thank you so much," she says.

She doesn't hesitate when Tao leans forward to kiss her red lips, not paying attention to the opera. The veils are still annoying but they somehow can manage to kiss well. And actually, Lu Han and Yixing are watching the scene. They smile evilly to each other but the show must go on. They are so going to tease them after the party ends.

 

 

Zitao is taking off his robe and the headpiece, thinking that it's too ridiculous for a guy to wear something weird and heavy on his head. He wonders if there would ever be a simple royal marriage, but after all, he's married so it wouldn't be necessary. He looks at his now-established wife who's in the middle of combing her hair. He is impressed by her long black hair which compliments her fair skin. Typical of Asian beauty. And when he's finished undoing his clothes, he sneakily slides behind her. She's startled but she accepts his arms that circling her. Zitao feels so content like this.

"I don't want to scare you," Zitao says beforehand. "I know you're still young and probably you don't want to give me an heir that soon. That's why, until you say yes, I won't touch you any further than this."

She turns around to meet Zitao's fierce but loving eyes. She circles her arms around his neck and reaches his lips with hers, only to brush them lightly. She smiles after that.

"Thank you for your consideration, Tao. I am sorry for being too young for you to touch. But you see, I'm thankful for our marriage. I don't regret our encounter at all. Please give me some time to adapt and all. I promise you I will be a better wife so you won't regret for marrying me."

Zitao tucks her hair behind her ear to get a clear look of her eyes. The eyeliner is still there, mascara too, but they only make her look more stunning.

"Tonight, just let me embrace you to sleep. And perhaps let me kiss you too?" he asks sweetly. In return, he receives a nod.

Just when he is about to kiss her, a very familiar voice ruins the moment. Zitao groans in frustration while his wife blushes hard.

"Tao!" that voice calls in loud voice. "Tao, open the door!"

"For God's sake, Yixing, could you please watch your manner, you're scaring my wife," Zitao complains. He doesn't understand why his brother must interrupt such a precious moment. He opens the door just as what Yixing asked. "What?"

Zitao thought that Yixing was going to , but when he sees his elder brother's pale face, he knows something bad is going on.

"What happened?" Zitao asks, his face now shows some concern.

"The Emperor..." Yixing tries to catch his breath, "our father... His Majesty faints!"

It only takes Zitao literally a minute to put on some clothes and say sorry to his wife before following Yixing to the emperor's chamber.

 

 

The Emperor has been looking so pale nowadays but maybe, just maybe, he asked the palace maid to give some make up so everyone won't notice. Zitao found out once, when the palace maid applied the make up to the Emperor's face. But at that time, Zitao wasn't really paying attention. He thought maybe his father flirted with the palace maid and was gonna take another wife. Turns out that it wasn't.

The powerful man he has always known is now lying there, all weak and unconscious. His wives and children are there, around him, waiting for the kingdom's doctor and herbalist to come and deliver the medicine. Zitao can see a towel on the nightstand beside the bed, tainted by a deep red blood. What exactly is this illness? Is it already severe? If so, why hasn't His Majesty said anything about it?

Lu Han is still with his make up on, and Zitao understands that he didn't have time to clear it. Yixing is nowhere to find despite being the one who fetched Zitao. When the door is open, Yixing, also still with his make up on, comes inside with the medicine on the tray he's holding. The fourth prince notices that Yixing is shaking, trying hard to bring the medicine. His make up around the eyes is kind of ruined, as a sign that he has just cried.

What happened? Why did Yixing cry? Is there something wrong with the Emperor?

Yixing puts the tray on the nightstand and asks his brothers to help him getting their father up. Fortunately, the emperor regains consciousness when Yixing puts his arm around his father's upper body. Lu Han immediately gives the medicine to the emperor. Slowly, the number one person in China gulps down the medicine, trying his best to bear with the bitterness. He breathes deeply after he finished.

"I think you've found out already, haven't you, Yixing," the emperor says in a low voice. His eyes are closed, but the pulse is still there. He just needs some rest.

Yixing sobs, his lips are trembling as his tears flow. He is crying in silence. He hugs his father tightly, not letting go even a bit. The emperor chuckles weakly. He looks at Yixing's mother with smile.

"Look at your son; he's too clever that I can no longer hide the truth," he whispers.

Yixing's mother reaches for her husband's hand. With his other free hand, he nudges Yixing softly, "Son, everyone is curious. Tell them what you've just discovered."

"Father...!" Yixing shakes his head. But then he sees his father nod, convincing him to do so. The third prince bites his own lower lip, hesitation and uncertainty are clearly shown. He closes his eyes, takes a deep breath and opens them afterwards.

Zitao can almost not believe it.

"Acute leukaemia."

Lu Han looks like he could die anytime.

"Lately His Highness has been vomiting blood, severely."

The empress, concubines, and princesses are crying, but the princes remain silent, not knowing what to do or what to say. Emperor is sick, and it is a sign for them that the enthronement issue is finally up in the air. Especially Lu Han. Zitao can read from his brother's face that he isn't really ready yet, but things happened. Even Yixing, who has stopped crying already, is now all silent and unmoving. He just continues embracing his father.

"Crown Prince," the Emperor calls out. He is getting up, with Yixing supporting him from behind. He reaches for his oldest son's hand. When Lu Han catches it, the Emperor looks at him fiercely. "Crown Prince, listen to me. Please, listen carefully."

"Yes, Your Majesty, I am all ears," Lu Han says.

The Emperor tightens his grip around his son's hand.

"Call Yifan back to the Forbidden City, as soon as possible."

The princes freeze. The others fall silent.

"But Father--"

"I will not repeat it. Do as I say, you understand, Crown Prince Han?" Emperor's tone is far from joking.

The Emperor's words are law. He is the law. When he wishes for something, he must get it, no matter what and how. And now he wishes to get his abandoned son back to the Forbidden City. The son whom he sent to Guangzhou after that incident eleven years ago. The son whose name is never heard again for so long. The son who was indirectly involved in the incident.

The one whom Lu Han is afraid of, if he ever come again.

But despite all that, he nods, agreeing to bring Yifan back to the Forbidden City.

 


a/n: I am sorry for a short chapter, but I really mean it that way. hope to see you next Sunday! and anyway, talk to me >> ask.fm/chenpai ^^