IV: What Happened?

Partners

Note: This chapter is a flashback of their story.

 

One year after my parents died, Jisoo and Joohyuk are the only people I keep contact with. Joohyuk started courting me with Jisoo’s help and after a few months, we officially became a couple. After two years of being in a relationship Joohyuk, and Jisoo as well, graduated. Joohyuk pursued his acting career while I continued working. After a few months, he started getting bigger gigs and became more known to public. It was our third anniversary when he texted me to come see him at our favorite restaurant.

 

It wasn’t like him but I shrugged it off. Almost all the time, he’d text me to say that he’d pick me up at my workplace.

 

I was excitedly walking and didn’t notice that I was almost at the restaurant. My mind was wandering when a person walked in front of me. It was his manager.

 

“Oh, hello!” I happily greeted him and bowed.

 

He looked at me from head to toe. I felt uncomfortable. Well, it wasn’t the first time anyway. When Joohyuk introduced me to him as his girlfriend. He got angry at Joohyuk and asked me to leave so they can talk. After that, I kept asking Joohyuk what his manager said but her never told me. I stopped trying to ask him.

 

“Oh, you’re here.” He smirked at me and threw his cigarette before entering their car. I let out a deep sigh and went inside the restaurant.

 

When I arrived at the restaurant, he was already there. He was seated at the most disclosed place in the restaurant, our favorite spot. “You’re here, Seohyun.” I immediately sat, thinking he’d greet me for our anniversary. “Hi oppa! What is it you want to talk about?”

 

“I…I…”

 

“What’s wrong?” I knew in that instant it’s not some happy greeting I’ll be receiving. “Is it work-related?”

 

“Yes…kinda…somehow.” He let out a deep sigh and finally spoke. “We need to break up.”

 

I didn’t know what to say. I just stared at him, looking for a hint that it was just some prank he’s trying to pull before greeting me with our anniversary but I can see the seriousness from his eyes. Still, I tried to doubt him. “Eyyy~ Why are you being like that? Stop the joke oppa! Let’s eat. Should we order your favorite lasagna?”

 

He held my hand. This time, I wasn’t able to hide the tears as they roll down my face. “Seohyun…I’m sorry.” I just kept looking at our hands linked with each other. “Why? Did I do anything wrong?”

 

“No…it’s…it’s complicated. It’s the best decision for you.”

 

“How is it complicated?” He fell silent. “Okay.” I immediately wiped my tears and gave out a bitter smile. “I was planning to give this to you later since it’s our anniversary but I guess I have to do it now.” I gave him a small box. “I whole-heartedly understand your decision and wish for your success. I hope the best for you, really.”

 

“Seohyun…”

 

I fixed myself before standing up. “I should get going. Thank you for the time. Happy anniversary.”

 

A week later, I was watching the news when the showbiz corner announced that Joohyuk is in a relationship with her co-star with pictures of them kissing intimately in Joohyuk’s car. I know it’s his car because we always use that car of his. The news said that they’ve been dating for three months. I highly doubted the news because we were still together that time. I was about to turn off the TV when I saw pictures of them, kissing that was dated three months ago. I tried to remember the date and I suddenly dropped the glass that led it to break into pieces. I remember that day clearly because I asked him to come with me because it's my parents' death anniversary but he said he can't. I asked him if he'll be shooting something and he said no but he'll be very busy.

 

I never called him ever since our breakup but I feel that this is the right time to do so.

 

"Hello?"

 

"Joohyuk-ssi"

 

There was a silence that is separating us. "Seohyun...?"

 

"Yes. It's me."

 

I can hear him stuttering. "Is there anything wrong?"

 

It's as if the last string that's keeping me sane was broken and I laughed hysterically. "Are you really asking me if there's anything wrong?!" I laughed so hard that I started crying. "I was fine with you breaking up with me but kissing another girl when we're together?! And it was my parents' death anniversary to add to that! You should've known better than anyone else!" I can't stop myself from crying. "Jisoo was busy as well but he found time to come along with me but you didn't. I just told myself that you were too busy with work and tried to understand you."

 

"Seohyun...I...I forgot it was your parents' death anniversary. I'm...sorry.."

 

I laughed again, this time, a lot weaker. "You're sorry that you've forgotten about my parents or that you've forgotten that I was your girlfriend at that time?"

 

"Seohyun..."

 

"I want to hear the answer from you directly. Was that picture I saw on the news true? That it was you kissing another girl three months ago?"

 

Silence filled our coversation. It was more comfortable than our talk to be honest. "Just answer this one and I'll never bother you again."

 

"Yes. It happened."

 

I ended the call after hearing his answer. We never talked after that. He never tried to talk to me anyway.

 

----

Hi guys! I'm so sorry for updating late I'm kinda busy with personal stuff but here you go! Scarlet Heart's about to end! I'm gonna miss WooAh T^T Hope you like the story! Don't forget to subscribe, upvote and comment! (If there's any error in the story, feel free to point it out! It'd be helpful :D) This is kind of a summary of the happenings between the two but there will be little flashbacks in some chapters so stay tuned! <3