III

Partners

“What floor sir?”

 

“Fifth, please.” Jisoo said.

 

"And you sir?" The man asked Joohyuk's manager.

 

“Sixth.” Joohyuk’s manager said. Thank goodness we’re on a different floor.

 

“Fifth floor.” The man announced. I bowed to Joohyuk again and quietly left the elevator. Jisoo tapped my shoulder. “Well this is exhausting.” I laughed at him. "But I'm very much relieved that it's over. Let's now focus on the meeting!" I said to Jisoo cheerfully. "You really are a great person, Seohyun." Jisoo said to me.

 

“There you are Seohyun! You’re early! As expected. You have good manners. Please have a seat while we wait for your partner. He’ll be here anytime soon.” I bowed to them. “Thank you!” and smiled widely. A lot of people from the organization are here. I greet each and everyone of them and they are all welcoming to me. I'm very happy to know that I'll be working with great people...hopefully.

 

“You look stunning in person! It must be true that pictures aren’t worth as much as when you see the person itself.”

 

“That’s a bit of a stretch but thank you for saying that!” I laughed with them. Some wanted to take photos of me, others wanted to take a photo with me. I tried to accommodate everyone of them. "You are a really nice person, Seohyun. Most celebrities would just brush us off. That's why you're very blessed." I smiled at her. "Thank you for thinking of me that way. I'm very grateful that you guys are nice as well."

 

A few minutes went by and the door opens.

 

“Finally!” One of the staff exclaimed in joy. Each of us looked towards the direction of the door entrance.

 

And then I froze once again. I hate record-breakers.

 

“Sorry! We went in the wrong floor so we had to go back.”

 

“Seohyun! This is Nam Joohyuk. I’m sure you know each other already.” I KNOW HIM VERY MUCH THANK YOU.

 

“Three times.” He gives out his hand for a handshake. I immediately shook hands with him. “It must be fate.”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Well I think you guys know each other very well with the exchanges of conversation you have.” I immediately answered. “No. We just happened to meet three times today…coincidentally.”

 

“Yes.” Joohyuk said. “Well isn’t it better than the first time?” The executive said.

 

I just smiled. No. There shouldn’t even be any second. Second time, second chances…

 

“Everyone please take a seat so we can start the meeting.” We were told to sit in front of each other.

 

“So, as you all know, Korea needs new ambassadors for next year and you two are the first options. First, Nam Joohyuk has been a well-established actor here in South Korea and has been consistently rising in the acting industry. Seohyun as well, in a short span of time, made way to the modelling industry as one of the most sought-after models despite the fierce competition in the industry. With that, we think that you two are the perfect ambassadors for Korea. Joohyuk has the great public recognition in Korea while Seohyun has been doing projects internationally that made her known worldwide. I think combining your two aspects can make this project successful. My assistant here will discuss the details of the project.”

 

“Thank you. This is a year-long contract promoting Korea’s Tourism. You will be featured in several magazines, ad campaigns, as well as commercial films promoting Korea. It should be inevitable that the two of you will sometimes be scheduled to be interviewed by some news outlets but it won’t affect your solo schedules as we will make sure it doesn’t overlap with it. That is why we need the cooperation of managers to give us updates for the whole year regarding their schedule. This is just an initial meeting but once both parties agree with the offer, we will be scheduling the contract signing. You can read the whole offer at the paper given to you. I know this is overwhelming but we want you to assess everything and take into consideration our offer so that we can start shooting some of the ad campaigns. If only one of you agrees with the offer, we will schedule another meeting with our second potential ambassador.”

 

I grabbed the paper, pretending to read it. My mind’s not functioning. A year-long contract as partners? I don’t think I can handle that. But this is such a huge opportunity for me and it will probably never happen again.

 

“Seohyun, if you don’t want to do this, we can still reject it.” Jisoo calmly said to me. “If only I knew…” I smiled at him. “There’s nothing to worry about. I have to be professional and this is a great opportunity for me, if not the best. I want to do this regardless of who I’m working with.”

 

Worried, Jisoo asked again. “Are you sure?”

 

“Of course. I really want to do this.”

 

“Okay.” Jisoo let out a sigh. “We will read the offer once again but for now, we accept the offer.” The organization head smiled. “That’s wonderful! How about Joohyuk’s side?”

 

“We accept the offer as well.” Of course. It’s stupid to even think about rejecting it.

 

“Well then that’s settled. We will inform you when will the contract signing happen. If you have any questions you can always contact us. Thank you once again!”

 

He shook hands with us. Joohyuk’s manager offered his hands and I shook it. “See you next time.” Joohyuk offered his hand. “Yes, see you.” I shook it. I can still remember how his manager stared at me when he knew I was Joohyuk's girlfriend. Such a difference between the smiles I'm getting now from him. I just brushed it off, and acted professional...like it never happened. I really wish it didn't happen. Joohyuk's manager offered his hand to Jisoo but he ignored it. Up until today, he's angry with Joohyuk and his manager. Finally, Joohyuk offered his hand to Jisoo. I didn't expect Jisoo to shake hands with him but he did. He didn't mutter a word but it's their first interaction ever since...

 

The ride home was quiet. I don’t know why but it was. Jisoo didn’t speak to me. Maybe he’s lost in his own thoughts.

 

“Let’s stop by at the park”

 

“Huh?”

 

“I wanna visit the park where we used to hung out. It’s been awhile.” Jisoo smiled. “Okay.” And directed the driver to the park. “I’ll be at the office to submit this paper so they can review it. I’ll pick you up at 4 p.m. if that’s okay.”

 

“Yes, sure. Thank you!”

 

I walk to the park where we used to play. Not even a single kid was there. It used to be such a lively park with kids from the neighborhood playing until all the surrounding places became commercial units. It’s unfortunate but at least I get to be on my own.

 

I sat on the swing I always rode on when I was a kid. It brings back all the memories.

 

Jisoo, Joohyuk and I have been friends since I can remember. We used to live in this neighborhood and I naturally became close to them. My parents died in a car accident when I was about to enter college so I had to change my plan and work instead. As I was friends with Jisoo and his sister, their parents let me stay to their house since I don’t have any relatives I know. Still, after a few weeks, I decided to rent a small room so as not to be a burden to them. Eventually, I was able to make a living on my own.

 

“Four times. Didn’t expect to see you here.” Joohyuk sat on the swing next to mine.

 

“Do you usually go here?” I asked. I wasn't surprised to see him anymore. “Not really. Just when I need to clear my mind.” I nodded. “Me too.”

 

We both stared at the clear sky.

 

“Such a beautiful day for our gloomy selves don’t you think?” I let out a small laugh. “Yeah.”

 

“Did you know?” Unsure of what he meant, I looked at him. “Huh?”

 

“Did you know I was also chosen?” I looked back at the sky again. “No.” and stumbled my feet on the sand - shoes all dirty. “Well, I knew.” He said. “I knew that you’ll be my partner and I knew you had no idea. Your expression says a lot.” Of course he knew but why ask me if you already know the answer? “I’m kinda surprised you knew but when I think about it, it’s likely you did. You were always one step ahead of me.”

 

“I didn’t think you would accept the offer, though.” Joohyuk confessed. “I just thought you wouldn’t.” I smiled. At least he thought of me, right? “It would be a lie if I say that it didn’t occur to me.” I looked down and fixed my skirt. “I just realized that I’m in no position to be rejecting such huge offers. I should be glad instead.” I stared into the trees that are making a sound as the wind blows.

 

“I’m sorry.”

 

I looked at him intently for the first time. “It’s been a while since we met. Why are you saying sorry?” I smiled. “There’s nothing to be sorry about.”

 

----

Hi guys! Seohyun and Joohyuk working together!!! I'm excited!! >_< I was supposed to update a bit earlier but it was my birthday so I kinda had to push back the update. Anyways, I hope you guys like it! Next chapter would be a flashback about their story (currently working on it...not yet done T^T). I hope you guys can give me a bit more time to finish it. :D I'll also be opening a new story which will be a compilation of Seohyun-coupled short stories so stay tuned!!! 

And don't forget to subscribe, upvote and comment! <3 If you have time, try to read my first story, One Day! :) Enjoy!!! :)