The First Day

Just have to let go

 

As you stepped into the new classroom, you see many new faces. Most of them were girls. You sat in a group of girls that was busy chatting, asking each other of their names and which school they came from. You just sat there and listen to them. Suddenly all of them turned to you and asked you. Oh no. it’s my turn. “Hi. My name is Hyuna. I’m from Daralle Middle school”. You gave them a smile and they smiled back. All of them welcomed you with warm smiles.

A few minutes later, all of you were sitting on chairs in a circle with the teacher, Mr Jung. Mr Jung asked all of you to introduce yourself. As one by one introduce themselves, you try to remember their names. The girl that was sitting beside you was not in a very good mood and she talks with no emotion. “Me, Hyemi.” See? Emotionless. Next was you and you introduce yourself. After some girls after you, a tall guy with a clean cut hairstyle stood up from his sit. “Hello everyone. I’m Yong Junhyung.” He looked around to smile at almost everyone. That was when you made your first eye contact with him. His eyes stopped at you for a moment, smiling. You felt as if the whole world has stopped moving and you were spinning round and round as in the movies.

You snapped out of your daydream land as Mr Jung speaks.

“Alright then. I think everyone knows each other’s names. It will be good if you remember them as these are the people who will be with you throughout your entire year”.

As your class were busy packing their bags to go for lunch, you noticed that there is a girl that was sitting beside Junhyung who has the exact same bag as him. They were talking very happily, smiles and all. Maybe they are a couple from their previous school. Damn it. He’s taken. You walked out of the class with a sour face.

You checked your subject combination at the foyer just like other students. Yes! You got the combination that you wanted. Although students are of the same class, their subject combinations are not exactly the same. What can you say. It’s a weird school system. So you carefully scanned through the list of names and search for one name. Yong Junhyung. There it is! As you read all his subjects, you smiled to yourself. What a coincidence! He took all the same subjects as you except for one. I guess we’ll be seeing a lot of each other huh..

The first day of real school arrives. Well, it’s just the next day. Your first subject went well and it was the only subject that you took that all the girls in you class doesn’t. So you ended up being with five boys from your class. And of course, he was one of them. You don’t mind being the only girl as long as you can be in the same class as him.

As the class ended, you walked alone to the foyer. You just have 25 minutes to the next class so you didn’t eat. It was just 9.30am anyway. You sat down on one of the benches with table at the foyer. As you took out your iPod, you heard footsteps from behind. Suddenly a guy appeared by your side and sat down in front of you. It was one of your classmates. Err.. what’s his name again? Oh ya! Yoon Doojoon. He was a year older than the rest of you classmates as he is repeating his first year in the highschool.

“Hello! You must be Hyuna right? Kim Hyuna? Remember me? I’m one of your classmates,” Doojoon said with a wide smile. Okay he seemed friendly. But maybe a little bit too friendly.

“Hello. Yes I’m Hyuna. Of course I remember you! You are one of the noisiest guys in the class,” you replied trying to be as cheerful as him. He just laughed.

“Why didn’t you go to the café? Not hungry?” Doojoon asked.

“Nah. I just had a heavy breakfast and the break time is not that long,” you answered politely.

“Are you saying you’re a big eater and need a full hour to finish your meal?” he said and chuckled.

You laughed. “Of course not! The queue is long Doojoon. By the time I get to the front, break time is up”.

You and Doojoon continue chatting about random things while waiting for the bell to ring.

The next few days you just spend your free time talking to Doojoon. You felt comfortable talking to him and he did too. One day you told him about his similarities with one of your past friends.

“You are really similar with one of my friend I know. Very friendly to everyone especially to girls. End up hurting them because he was giving false hopes to them. I hate him. I hate that attitude of his,” you described your friend, not realising that you were ranting about him to Doojoon.

As you stopped, Doojoon asked, “I’m guessing you’re one of the girls? That is why you hate him so much?”

Your eyes widened as you had just realised you were about to expose one of your secrets. A secret that even your bestfriend did not know. “Wh-what? No! O-of course n-not! I’m not the type of g-girl who would be d-d-dumb enough to fall for that kind of jerk!” you stuttered, eyes looking away from Doojoon.

Doojoon smiled. “W-well Hyuna. W-w-w-why are y-you st-tutter-ring?” he tried to imitate you. He laughed when he saw you blushed. “Cmon Hyuna. I can read people you know. So don’t try to come up with excuses. I can see it right through you.”

After a few seconds of silence, you looked up and faced Doojoon’s smiling face. “Ok fine. I am the dumb girl who had fallen for some jerk ok?”

Doojoon just gave you a very satisfied smile. He wanted to ask more on what happened but seeing you feeling very uneasy talking about it, he decided to just skip the topic. “Don’t worry. Your secret is safe with me. Besides, what would I get if I spread it? And what has passed is past. Focus on your present now.” Doojoon said, giving you an assuring smile.

After a few months in Kirin Highschool, you had made close friends. You don’t remember how your friendship started but all six of you were close. Very close. Even the café and library aunties know all of you as a group. 3 guys and 3 girls. Jiyeon, Hyemi, Doojoon, Gikwang and believe it or not, Junhyung. Yes. Yong Junhyung.

Hyemi turns out to be very friendly after all. She is willing to do anything for her close friends. Emotionally and financially.

Jiyeon, she’s a very cheerful girl. Most people thought she was some rebel due to her appearance. But she had never got into any fight before and she forgives others easily. However, she can be a rebel if she wanted to be one. If any rebels were to stare at her in shopping malls, she wouldn’t hesitate to stare back and raise her thin eyebrows. So, in theory, mistaking her for a rebel is not really a mistake. Maybe she is the “good rebel”.

Gikwang is very happy always. His cheerful smiles never fail to brighten up anyone’s day. He is quite popular among the girls for this attitude.

As for Doojoon, you have been close with him eversince the first day of school. He tends to be protective of his close friends especially to you and Jiyeon as both of you had been emotionally hurt before by a guy. In other words, Jiyeon and you are pretty much alike.

And then there’s Yong Junhyung. The guy that has first attracted you from the first day of highschool. He has friends all over Kirin Highschool. Everytime he walk with your group, you had to stop a couple of times just because he bumped into one of his friends. He never gets angry and is always there to help others. He is basically what people define, perfect. Most girls drool over him and try so hard to get his attention. You felt lucky to be one of his close friends.

You and the other five guys had been to lectures together and sat together in a row. Over these months, you have always sat on the same spot, the second seat nearest to the aisle. Only the guys that always change seats. But no matter how they change, you never get the chance to sit beside Junhyung. The nearest you get is Doojoon sitting in between the both of you.

 

As usual, you were the first to be seated in the lecture hall. While waiting for the guys, you took out your notes. You heard noises coming from the back. The guys are here. Junhyung is the first one to walk pass you. “Hi Hyuna!” he greeted you happily with a smile. You replied with a simple smile and look back to your notes.

Suddenly you notice that he was not walking further. He stopped beside you and sat on the seat next to you. You head slowly turned towards him. He was busy talking to Gikwang to notice that you were looking at him. Your heart beats faster. You have never been this close to Junhyung before. And now the only thing that is in between the both of you is the arm rest. Oh no the arm rest! You would usually rest your arm there since most of the time the guys would leave one seat after you. So the seat was always empty. Where am I supposed to put my arm now??

As the lecture starts, you felt very uncomfortable despite him being next to you. You could not focus fully as you were taking note of your every move, careful not to make any ugly actions. Your movements were restricted. You tried your best to focus and not be distracted by his arms flexing everytime he writes. His eyebrows furrowed while listening to the lecturer. Wait- what am I doing? I’m supposed to be taking down notes not taking note of his every action!

As the lecture ended, you manage to take down the important key points and ask him for help if you had missed some. You were packing your bag when you see a steel dog tag as a keychain on his bag. It has his name engraved on it. It really attracted your attention as you love engraved accessories.

“Junhyung, where did you buy that?”

“Oh this? My friend gave it to me last year for my birthday. Do you like it?” he asked with a smile.

“Yeah I do. I love things that are being engraved. Maybe I’ll find it somewhere.”

“Oh.. Your birthday is next month right? I’ll try to find you something like this and engrave your name on it.” Junhyung smiled.

You were shocked. Yes. In deep shock. Did he just said he wanted to give me a present? A birthday present? Other than that, did he just said he remembered when my birthday is??

“Really? That’ll be great!” you manage to find your words and gave a wide smile. On top of that, you laughed as he laughed. But your laughter didn’t came out right. It sounds more like a donkey laughing. He didn’t mind though. But you did. Where on earth did that laughter came from??? Compose yourself Kim Hyuna.

You stopped laughing and walked towards the exit. “I’ll see you later!” you said.

“Yeah you too!” Junhyung said while continue to pack his things in his bag.

You walked straight to the ladies and lock yourself in a cubicle. You leaned on the door with a wide grin plastered on your face.