Sharing

Why I Just Wanna Solo

Singer Tiffany is absolutely mesmerizing in the recording studio. The passion in her eyes. The dedication in her spirit. The fire in her voice. She looks like she’s singing as though her life depends on it and she certainly sounds like it too. When she steps out of the room, Taeyeon is all over her.

“Here, have a seat. You must be tired. Rest, rest.” Taeyeon fetches a cup of water. “Drink up. Hydrate your throat. You must take good care of it.”

“Thank you,” Stephanie says after a moment. She sips the water and moves to put down the glass.

“No, no. You must finish it. Drink it all.”

“But—”

“No buts. Drink. Driiink.”

Stephanie sighs but she empties the glass and holds it over her head, bottoms up. “Happy now?”

Taeyeon grins. “Yes.”

Stephanie sighs again, louder this time. “Thank you for your concern. I have to go back in now.”

“You go in and knock your socks off. I have work to do too.” Taeyeon watches as Stephanie re-enters the studio, shaking her head each step of the way. Then, she pulls out her phone and presses a button.

“Kim Kibum at your service.”

“I want a water dispenser in the recording studio. STAT.”

“Right at once, CEO Kim.”

“It must be the best kind. Alkaline and with hot or cold water options.”

“Certainly, CEO Kim.”

Taeyeon puts her phone away and takes one more look at Stephanie. She’s so beautiful, Taeyeon thinks. She’s worth it.

\/\/

“Good afternoon, CEO Kim.”

Taeyeon looks up from her laptop and stares. All she sees are slender legs. More legs. More legs. Where is this person’s head? Holy crap. What is this tower—

“I am your new secretary reporting for duty.”

“You’re a woman.”

“Yes, I am.”

“Why are you a woman.”

The towering woman shrugs. “I’m born this way. No one asked, no one checked.”

“My secretaries are supposed to be tall, dark, handsome men.”

The towering woman shrugs again. “I was told to report to you. I didn’t ask questions, CEO Kim.”

Taeyeon sighs a long suffering sigh. The end of the world must be near if a phone call isn’t solving all her problems. “Fine. You’ll have to do for now. What’s your name?”

The towering woman flashes a grin and flips her short hair. “Choi Sooyoung at your service, CEO Kim.”

“Okay. Tell me what you are good at.”

“Eating.”

“What?”

“I can eat all day, err day.”

Taeyeon feels like slamming her head on her desk. “Tell me you’re good at something related to your job.”

“I was born to be a model. I look fantastic in jeans and most clothes in general.”

“What else can you do besides eat and look good in clothes?”

“Mmm . . . there’s one more thing.”

“What is it?”

“It’s better if I show you.”

“Huh?” Taeyeon’s jaw drops as her new secretary stiffens up and starts moving her arms and head in a weird robotic manner, jiggling her shoulders like an awkward retro dance. “What are you doing?”

“Showing you my robot dance.”

Taeyeon’s forehead finds the surface of her work desk and she raises her hand in surrender. “Out. Ouuuut!”

“I’ll be outside if you need me!”

With her head still on her desk, Taeyeon groans.

\/\/

“Kim Kibum at your service.”

“I want a man. Give me a man!”

“What sort of man do you require? 1-pack, 2-pack or 6-pack? Fair as snow or tanned as charcoal? How about ual preferences, dominant or submissive?”

“No, no, no. Not that kind of man. I need a new secretary.”

“What’s wrong with the one you have now?”

“She’s a woman. And a weird one too.”

“CEO Kim, you must be mistaken. The new secretary is a man. Very tall and handsome.”

“That cannot be.”

“I know the difference between a man and a woman and I’m telling you my new secretary is a woman.”

“My utmost sincere apologies. This mistake will be rectified immediately.”

“Get it done. Fast.”

“Most certainly, CEO Kim.”

\/\/

Stephanie is moved to tears when she hears her song. To think that this will be the very first song she will debut with as a solo singer. Her emotions are running high and she can’t wait to share the song with someone.

CEO Kim. What? CEO Kim? Why is she thinking about that erted CEO who won’t stop bugging her? But now that she thinks about it, CEO Kim hasn’t bugged her for a while. Has she changed for the better? Her eyes land on the water dispenser in the corner. CEO Kim had ordered it for her, a thoughtful gesture. Perhaps she has been too hard on CEO Kim. Besides, she is the one who assembled this wonderful production team for her. It makes sense that she should share it with CEO Kim before anybody else.

\/\/