Touch Down

Why I Just Wanna Solo

Four practice videos later, Taeyeon can hardly wait to see Stephanie doing her Tiffany pole dance. When the day arrives, Taeyeon goes to work a jolly fellow.

“Miss Kim, you look extra happy today. Something good must have happened to you.”

Taeyeon would have bitten Heechul’s head off for passing a random comment that disturbs her train of thought but today, all she does is smile. “Something good is going to happen today.”

“What is it?” Heechul is perky like a curious kid.

“That’s for me to know.”

“Aww, but I wanna know. Tell me tell me tell me tell me.” Heechul pouts and puts his palms together. “Pleeeeeeeeeeeease.”

Taeyeon throws her fluffy pink peach-head slipper at Heechul. “Shut up.”

“I’m sorry, Miss Kim!”

“Get out of my office.”

“Yes, Miss Kim!”

Taeyeon leans back in her chair, sighing in relief when he is finally gone. This personal secretary is driving her nuts. She must think of a way to get rid of him. Picking up her office phone, she presses a number and waits. The call is answered within two seconds.

“Kim Kibum at your service.”

“I want a new secretary.”

“As you wish. Shall we fire your secretary?”

“That won’t be necessary. Just transfer him somewhere else.”

“There is a slot in a new boy group and we need someone real quick.”

“What’s the name of the group?”

“Shoe Purr Zoonia.”

“What a weird name.”

“Their group concept is all about boy cats that love shoes. It will be a hit.”

“I want to see the group after the transfer.”

“You got it, Miss Kim. As for your new secretary, may I recommend a Kim Jonghyun. He is a capable man.”

“Send him to me and we shall see.”

“Very well, Miss Kim.”

\/\/

Every now and then, Stephanie would look to the door of the practice room while warming up her muscles. To say she isn’t nervous would be a huge lie. Her heart is thumping, knocking on her ribs almost, and her stomach—cliché as it is—is full of butterflies. Why she is so nervous, she doesn’t know. Maybe it’s because she doesn’t know this CEO well. Maybe it’s because this is her first attempt at her long-time dream. Maybe it’s because this CEO seems cold and distant. Maybe, maybe, maybe. There are a thousand uncertainties but there is only one objective. And she has to succeed. No matter what.

\/\/

Like a queen of the boxing ring, Taeyeon makes her appearance at the practice room. She sees the pole installed in the room and it’s a challenge for her to stop herself from grinning ear to ear.

“Good afternoon, Miss Kim.”

Taeyeon nods at the bowing singer but doesn’t reply.

“Are we ready?” she asks the dance instructor instead, her tone giving nothing away.

“Stephanie has worked very hard on this. She’s ready,” says Jay Whypea.

“Good. Let’s see it.”

Taeyeon settles down on the couch at the side and crosses her legs, a picture of stern professionalism. She’s so good at this that she can’t help but be impressed by herself.

The music plays. It is slow and reminds Taeyeon of dark rooms and grinding bodies. It’s good music. So very apt for pole dancing. None of what Tiffany is dancing is new to Taeyeon but seeing the dance before her very eyes. Each wave. Each grind. Each spin. Oh and that . Oh, how it curves. Oh, how it symbolises the progress of mankind. Oh, how it represents the excellent evolution of women into pure, raw magnets of attraction.

When Tiffany’s performance is done. Taeyeon doesn’t clap. Instead, she frowns.

“Repeat the part where you hold the pole and sway.”

Stephanie’s brows dip in worry but she complies immediately and pleases Taeyeon. She keeps her frown, however, and watches the replay without smiling.

“Pause right there. Don’t move.” Taeyeon leaves her seat and walks to Stephanie’s side. She puts her hands on the singer’s waist and pulls her a little further from the pole. Then she pats the singer’s and says, “Do it again. This time, keep a distance from the pole just before this part.”

She returns to her seat and Stephanie repeats as instructed. She notes how quickly Stephanie is able to pick tips up and how smoothly she is able to apply newly acquired knowledge into her practical. Stephanie is treasure. Her is a gem. And today, she touched the gem.

\/\/