Choice

Why I Just Wanna Solo

When the dust clears, three silhouettes are vaguely visible in the room. One is standing and two are sprawled on the ground.

“Are you going to be a ert again?”

Taeyeon winces and rubs her . “No, I promise I won’t.”

“And you. Will you save your CEO Kim again?”

Choi Minho the new, tall, dashing young man of a new secretary leaps to his feet and nods. “Yes, I will!”

Stephanie nods. “You are a really good secretary. Better than CEO Kim deserves.” She turns back to Taeyeon who cowers in fear. “You. Are you going to be a ert again?”

Taeyeon sniffs and shakes her head while rubbing her sorry . “Never again.”

“In that case, I’ll forgive you.” Stephanie relaxes and smiles again as she holds up her thumb-drive. “Let’s listen.”

\/\/

Six months later, adored-by-fans Tiffany the idol singer stands on stage and belts a series of her new songs and covers to a waving sea of pink in a theatre. She finishes her weekend concerts to a cheering crowd and waves goodbye as she walks off the stage.

Once backstage, she jumps around like an excited bunny. “Yay! Yay!” She goes around thanking everyone and gives CEO Kim a shock when she hugs her tight. “Thank you for making my dream come true!”

“Ah, you don’t have to thank me. Your album made a lot of money for the company—oww!”

“Hug me and shut up, CEO Kim.”

“Okay, Tiffany. I’ll hug you real tight.”

Idol Tiffany smacks Taeyeon’s head again. “Don’t be a ert.”

\/\/

The next day, Stephanie receives a card in the mail. It is handwritten and reads: Congratulations, Tiffany! Your album and concerts have been a success and your hard work has paid off. Have a good rest. You deserve it! To reward you for your hard work, I would like to invite you to dinner at our company’s restaurant. Don’t worry! I’m not being a ert. I just really want to have dinner with you. Would you please say yes? Please?

Stephanie looks at the signature at the bottom. The card is signed off by Taeyeon. That’s sweet of her. And for once, not a trace of her erted nature is evident. Now that she thinks about it, Taeyeon is no longer as much of a ert as before. It looks like after six months of smacking, kicking and scolding, Taeyeon has finally learnt how to ask her out properly. So should she say yes to dinner with her?

\/\/

The second level of the restaurant is cordoned off and off limits to everyone but the staff and the two of them. When Stephanie arrives, she is ushered up to the private corner and seated at the table that boasts a pink tablecloth and rose. The choice of colour delights Stephanie and the pink rose is a lovely touch. While waiting for CEO Kim to turn up, Stephanie studies the list of dishes to be served for their four-course dinner.

Mmm, Shoe Purr Zoonia artichoke, Shy Knee duck , Pink Generation lamb and Rad Pellet red velvet cake. I’m starving already. But where’s Kim Taeyeon?

“Sorry, I’m late. My meeting dragged on longer than it was supposed to. There were so many things to discuss. I just couldn’t leave. I’m sorry.”

Stephanie smiles at the harried CEO. “It’s alright. Work is important.”

Taeyeon signals the waiter. “Dinner may be served now.” Then, she turns back to Stephanie with a bright smile. “I wasn’t sure if you would turn up but I’m very, very happy to see you here.”

Stephanie’s heart thumps when Taeyeon smiles into her eyes. The CEO can be charming after all—when she is not being a ert.

The courses are served and Stephanie digs in without ceremony. The Shoe Purr Zoonia artichoke is absolutely wonderful, as is the Shy Knee duck , Pink Generation lamb and Rad Pellet red velvet cake. But just as she is about to swallow the last bit of the cake, a desolate looking Choi Minho the new, tall, dashing young man of a new secretary appears at their table.

Taeyeon blinks in surprise and looks at him for a moment. “Why are you here?”

Choi Minho the new, tall, dashing young man of a new secretary sniffs and hands Taeyeon a letter.

“What is this?”

“I’m resigning, CEO Kim.”

Taeyeon’s jaw loosens. “What? Why?”

“I can’t deal with this anymore.”

“What can’t you deal with?”

“This.”

“This?”

Choi Minho the new, tall, dashing young man of a new secretary nods and sniffs again. “You’re going to spend all your time with Stephanie. I just know it. Then you won’t have time to paint my nails and hang out with me anymore. So before that happens, I’m leaving.”

“What? No, I’m not going to spend all my time with Stephanie.”

“Yes, you are. I just know it.”

“No, I’m not. You’ll still be my secretary. I’ll still hang out with you.”

“No, you won’t. I’m leaving before it’s too late. Goodbye.”

Choi Minho the new, tall, dashing young man of a new secretary dashes down the stairs to the first floor and Taeyeon is left standing at her seat. She blinks, looks at Choi Minho the new, tall, dashing young man of a new secretary then turns to look at Stephanie.

“CEO Kim? Are you alright?” Stephanie asks.

“I’m . . .” Taeyeon looks back at Choi Minho the new, tall, dashing young man of a new secretary who is almost out the door. “I’m going after my secretary,” she says and breaks into a sprint down the stairs while yelling, “COME BACK! CHOI MINHO! I CHOOSE YOU!”

\/\/ THE END \/\/