CEO meets Idol

Why I Just Wanna Solo

“She’s coming!”

A storm of hushed voices takes over the practice room and it sends butterflies exploding into Stephanie’s stomach. She tries desperately to calm her nerves, knowing how it affects her performance on stage but her mind isn’t listening to her right now. Instead, it chooses to listen to the rampant rumours flying around the room about how young and pretty their new CEO is. The ones excited about this are mainly the males. She knows that many of female trainees and idols are disappointed it’s not going to be a handsome, young man taking over the recently vacated CEO position but she is not like them. She has no intention of seducing or flirting with the CEO to get what she wants. That would only be an insult to her dream. If she is to succeed, it will be earned through sheer hard work. There is no other way.

\/\/

“Don’t lose your calm. Whatever you do, don’t let it show.”

Taeyeon repeats the words to herself over and over again as she paces the length of the sparkling clean bathroom. A clean bathroom doesn’t surprise her. As the new CEO of the entertainment company, she expects it. She may be young, but she doesn’t plan on letting it stop her from doing her job. And to do her job well, high expectations are a must. Bathroom included.

Before leaving the bathroom, she stops to look in the mirror. Thank goodness her hair has grown out a fair bit. The hairdresser had given her the shock of her life when her hair was snipped an entire inch shorter than she had asked for. Not that she minds short hair. But knowing she would have to make her appearance in the new company soon, the last thing she wants is short hair that makes her look like a kid. Fortunately, her hair stylist has performed a miracle with one of the greatest inventions known to mankind—the hair curler.

The outfit her stylist has planned for her today is also a life saver. A white top and off-white skirt, topped off with a matching jacket that reaches her thighs, covering most of her outfit. But what completes the look is of course the heels that boost her lacking reach another few inches and a hint of an expensive necklace peeks from underneath. With that, she looks every bit the CEO that she needs to look like.

Okay. She’s ready.

\/\/

It is ingrained in the culture of respect for them to rise and bow when the CEO enters the room. Stephanie sneaks a peek while taking her seat after greeting the CEO and nearly bursts out laughing when she catches a glance at the CEO’s phone cover. No way. Ebichu? There’s no mistaking it. Ebichu may look similar to the more wholesome and family-friendly hamster called Hamtaro, but Stephanie knows Ebichu too well to make that mistake.

Ironically, she has Sunny to thank for that. Being roommates, she has no choice but to watch some of Sunny’s favourite Japanese cartoons (which Sunny insists she calls anime) and one of them is Ebichu, the world’s most erted hamster. Trust the Japanese to come up with a concept like that and trust Sunny to be completely hooked.

But what does this mean? Is their new CEO a ert too? Just like Sunny? Just the thought of it makes Stephanie groan. Sunny and her penchant for grabbing, elbow biting and various other erted habits. These are experiences that Stephanie would rather not have. But Sunny is a good friend and even though no amount of threatening can make her leave her ways behind, she is still the best roommate Stephanie could ever hope to have.

“Together, we will rise and succeed. I am here to support you and help you to fulfil your dreams. This is a business, but it is not only a business. We are in the business of fulfilling dreams. Dreams are our business. Profitable dreams. That is the key.” CEO Kim pauses and looks around the room at all the trainees. Stephanie stiffens when cool eyes land on her.

Does CEO Kim know I wasn’t listening to her speech? . I’m so dead. I’m so, so dead.

“I hope this explains my motive in calling for this showcase. I do not believe in watching videos to access the company’s talent. I believe in seeing it with my own eyes. This way, I am being fair to you and the company. My decision is final, but I will give you sufficient opportunities to prove your dream worthy of investment. I hope you are all well prepared for today. I wish to see the best side of you and nothing else. Thank you.”

Stephanie raises her hands to applaud the CEO just as her fellow idols do. In her mind, everything is a blur. My decision is final. Of course, of course. She is the CEO after all. But how sufficient is sufficient? What if we only get two or three chances to prove ourselves? What if I screw up and mess up the whole thing? What if—what if the CEO hates me?

The sharpest elbow jabs into her arm and she winces. “What?” she whispers, turning to Seohyun, one of her group’s members.

“The CEO is calling you,” Seohyun whispers back.

“Stephanie Hwang Miyoung.”

“Here!” Stephanie yells, raising her arm like a rocket.

CEO Kim looks at her with a fleer. “This isn’t primary school anymore, Stephanie Hwang. I called your name because you’re going first.”

“M-Me?”

The cool eyes that froze her a while ago imprison her again. “Yes, you.”

Stephanie stands with a wobble. She is certain the CEO is out to get her but she can’t for the life of her, figure out why. What did she do wrong? She smiles gratefully at her manager when he reaches out a hand to steady her. Oh God. It’s been six years since she debuted but why does she feel like a trainee again? No. This won’t do. If she is to fulfil her dream of going solo, she needs to gather herself together and present her best to CEO Kim. No matter what the CEO may think of her.

“The rest of you may leave this room now. You will be called when it is your turn.”

If Stephanie wasn’t nervous before, she definitely is now. Oh God. She is going to be all alone with the new CEO in this practice room. It may be a familiar place to her but even this supposed advantage isn’t helping. Help! She looks desperately at her manager as he leaves the room with the others. Her heartbeats are suddenly audible to her ears as she stands before the new CEO and taking slow, deep breaths proof to be quite useless.

“Nervous?” CEO Kim asks when the room is finally empty and the door shut.

Stephanie can only nod. Speaking seems to be a struggle right now.

“You don’t have to be. Just do what you have been doing for the past six years.”

her lips to wet them, Stephanie nods again. Alright. This is it. It’s now or never.

\/\/

CiUEuz5UUAA3pBL[1]