Is It Too Late To Say Sorry?

Wanna Love You Again

Jinhwan was just sitting around the apartment grading papers and sipping a beer, his eyes tired from reading so many essays.  He had ordered delivery, but it would be a little longer until it arrived.  Taehyun and Mino were out on a date, something that Jinhwan had gotten used to.  These nights were harder than the others.  Being alone was still new, despite a month having passed from the night he left Bobby.  He sighed as he stretched in his seat, leaning back to close his eyes.  The next thing he knew the doorbell jolted him awake.  Jinhwan dashed to get the door and apologized for making the delivery man wait.  He fumbled with his wallet and almost dropped his dinner on his way back to the kitchen.  Taehyun and Mino got back soon after with big news for Jinhwan.

 

“Guess who our server was at the restaurant.”  Mino asked excitedly.

 

“Who?”  Jinhwan questioned.

 

“Bobby.”  Taehyun answered.  He talked faster as he recapped the night.  “I guess he moved locations.  We completely forgot where he worked, we were totally caught off guard.  Anyway, he asked about you but I think he knows how badly he ed up because he only asked if you were happy and then he had this look on his face that was a mix of sadness and regret.  Honestly, he looked like such a lost puppy.  He looked like he wanted to keep asking about you but didn’t want to pressure us.”

 

“Jeez babe, take a breath.”  Mino put his hand on Taehyun’s shoulder to calm him down a little.

 

“We told him you were happy but honestly Jinhwan, we all know you miss him like crazy.  He said he got into a fight with Hanbin and that they’re not really on speaking terms anymore.”  Taehyun continued.  Jinhwan took a sip of his beer and looked down at the table.

 

“I didn’t mean for him to lose his best friend.  I mean, they’ve known each other for so long…”  

 

“You should talk to him.”  Mino said gently.  

 

Jinhwan’s mom called him that night.  She told him that his dad had some time off and that they wanted to visit him and Bobby in Seoul in a couple of weeks.  Jinhwan sighed and explained what happened to her.  She was caught completely off guard by the news.  When she asked if Jinhwan felt better after they broke up, he started crying again.  They talked on the phone for hours about the whole situation and Jinhwan wondered why he hadn’t asked his mom for advice sooner.

~~~~~~~

Jinhwan got out of work a little early and waited outside where Bobby normally was.  He had noticed that Bobby wasn’t waiting outside the school every day anymore, but every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and an occasional Friday.  Just as planned, Bobby walked up to the school with his hands in his pockets and was surprised to see Jinhwan waiting for him.

 

“Hey,”  Jinhwan started.  

 

“Hey.”  Bobby’s eyes were wide with shock.  He had to blink a couple times to make sure he was seeing the right thing.

 

“Um… Do you want to get a coffee?”  Jinhwan asked timidly.  

 

“Sure.”  Bobby answered.  Jinhwan nodded a little and started walking towards a nearby cafe.  Bobby didn’t want to push his luck so he kept his hands in his pockets.  They came up to a coffee shop near the school.  Bobby went to hold the door open for Jinhwan.  As they walked in the familiar and comforting scent of coffee surrounded them.  Bobby went to order both of their drinks, much to Jinhwan’s surprise.

 

“What?”  Bobby asked when he turned to stand by the pickup area for their coffees and saw Jinhwan’s expression.

 

“I didn’t think you even knew my coffee order.”  Jinhwan answered quietly.  

 

“Americano with milk and three sugars.  When you would bring me coffee in the morning you always left the receipt on the counter in the kitchen.”  For a moment, neither said anything.  Then the barista called out their drinks.  The two walked around the streets with their coffees in a peaceful silence.  They ended up on a bench in a park watching an old lady feed some birds.

 

“Jinhwan-”  “I have-”  They started at the same time.  

 

“You first.”  Jinhwan said.

 

“I’m sorry for how I behaved.  I know it was childish and that I should have taken responsibility.  And it was stupid of me to think you would just keep putting up with it.”  Bobby apologized.

 

“I didn’t want you to stop being friends with Hanbin.  I know how close you two are.  It’s m-”  

 

“Don’t apologize, it wasn’t your fault.  Besides, if I had to do it again I would.  Not just for you, for me.  I couldn’t say no to him, and that was hurting both of us.  Not to mention my liver.”  

 

“I can’t help but feel bad about it…”  Jinhwan trailed off.  Bobby set his hand over Jinhwan’s and squeezed it reassuringly.  

 

“It’s really okay Jinhwan.”  Bobby was glad Jinhwan hadn’t pulled his hand away.  The two of them stared at their hands for a while.  “I’m sorry.  For not listening to you.  For not listening to myself.  For realizing too late how much I need you.  For not seeing how much I hurt you.  For not keeping my promises.  For not being there for you.  I can keep going if you want but I think you get what I’m saying.”

 

“It was really touching for a while.”  Jinhwan laughed a little and wiped his eyes.

 

“Seriously though, if I could go back and redo everything I would be the best boyfriend you ever had.”


“You already are.”  

~~~~~

AN: Sorry it took so long to update >.<