Back to Reality

Wanna Love You Again

Hanbin was spaced out, not really paying attention to the fried rice in front of him. He was sitting in the dining hall with a textbook open, but he hadn’t read a single word. He couldn't get what Jennie said out of his head. 

 

She had kissed him so suddenly he didn’t really know what to do. 

 

“But there’s something different about you. And I can’t figure out what it is.” 

 

“How about I get us more drinks?” Hanbin said awkwardly, seeing water start to pool in her eyes. He was never good with watching people cry. 

 

A few more drinks later and they had left the club, sitting on a bench somewhere on campus trying to figure each other out. 

 

“So what’s with this ex of yours?” Hanbin asked, slouched so far down that he was practically falling out of his seat. 

 

Jennie pouted a little before she started talking, all the drinking making it hard to even stop once she had started. “He just… He’s charming and outgoing. But he didn’t love me, not like I love him. It hurts too much to know he doesn’t really love me. him right?” 

 

It sounded all too familiar of a feeling. But did he love Bobby? Hanbin loved the way his brow furrowed when he was too focused on League of Legends. He loved the way he’d wake up to the sound of Bobby mumbling nonsense in his sleep. And the way he always got shy around big groups of new people. He loved the way he could spend hours talking about nothing and everything all at once. 

 

As he walked back to his dorm his head was spinning. The hours were ticking by before he would end up in the real world again and wake up from this crazy time travel dream. Hours to try and get Bobby to feel the same way. 

 

Bobby was already in their dorm room, sitting at his desk tapping his fingers mindlessly to his music while he read through his assignments. But as Hanbin turned the corner down the hallway and saw Jinhwan hesitating to knock on their door, he realized he had it all wrong. He wasn’t brought to the past to get Bobby to fall in love with him. Sneaky June he thought as he quickly spun around and texted Jennie. 

 

“Why are you so out of breath?” Jennie asked as Hanbin came jogging towards her. 

 

“Sorry. I. Was. In. A rush.” He panted out as he bent down, hands on his knees, to catch his breath. “He doesn’t love me. Not like I want him to.”

 

“You’re being so weird right now. What are you even talking about?” Jennie even looked a little concerned. 

 

“I can’t make him feel what I feel. That guy I said I liked, that night. I know that now. He’s going to end up with Jinhwan anyway because that’s just how it is. Nothing I can do here will change that. I just have to deal with it. If you love someone that much, you let them go right? Like that bird metaphor?” He was still breathing hard, trying to organize his turbulent thoughts.

 

“I guess yeah. But the rest of that metaphor is that they will come back if they love you back.”

 

Hanbin shook his head and took a deep breath. “But he does. It’s just a different kind of love. I can see that now.”

 

“So why did you call me to tell me all of this?” 

 

“Maybe because, what I was looking for was right in front of me.” He took her hands and held them tight, pulling her close to him. And he hugged her like he couldn’t let go. Hanbin closed his eyes hoping she wouldn’t push him away and slap him or something else unpredictable. But when he opened his eyes all he saw was white.