I'm Okay

Wanna Love You Again

Hanbin burst into the cafe, maybe a little too violently. At the sight of his roommate, Bobby let out an irritated grunt. Jinhwan turned to see who walked in and sensed the tension between the two.

 

“Uh… I think I’ll head out. Don’t give up! I believe in you!” Jinhwan said, with a little fist pump. He looked up at Hanbin and uncomfortably nodded an acknowledgement, walking out of the cafe with his beverage. 

 

“What do you want?” Bobby asked, very annoyed. 

 

“Can we talk? Just like, somewhere private?” Hanbin asked, feeling kind of defeated at the idea of history repeating itself. Still annoyed, Bobby put his stuff in his backpack and followed Hanbin to a nearby side street. It was a kind of shady alley between the cafe and the mall next to it, but it would have to do. At least it was still bright outside so there was nothing creeping in the dark. Hanbin raked his hand through his hair, nervous to start.

 

“So… That person I was telling you about? That I like?” Hanbin started off shaky, slowly building up confidence. Bobby nodded, arms crossed over his chest. “Well… Um … It - It’s you.” Bobby’s eyes went wide, not sure if his ears just heard that correctly. 

 

“Wait, you have a crush on … me?” He was a little dramatic, pointing at Hanbin and then back at himself in an almost comical way.

 

“Yeah that’s what I just said.” Hanbin said. “I just, I needed to tell you that. So yeah. I like you. That. Uh… please say something.” 

 

“I just don’t like you like that man.” Bobby saw Hanbin’s expression drop, sadness creeping into his eyes. “It’s nothing personal, I just don’t have those kinds of feelings for you. You’re my best friend but I don’t really see that relationship going anywhere else.” He scratched the back of his neck anxiously, a little confused by the sudden confession. “I’m sorry dude it’s just -” Bobby kept rambling but Hanbin cut him off before he could keep breaking his heart. 

 

“Don’t. It’s fine. I’ll see you back at the dorm.” Hanbin shuffled away with his hands shoved in his pockets. He just started walking, not really knowing where his feet were taking him. Somehow he could feel June watching his actions from wherever he exists. He paused in his tracks, the sound of a familiar someone screaming into her phone ringing out into the evening. He saw Jennie across the way standing outside one of the dorms yelling and gesturing wildly. Without realizing it, he was walking towards her. 

 

“I swear Jay I’m going to kill you the next time I see you! No you listen to me! I did not let you back into my life just so you could RUIN IT AGAIN! I’M NOT BEING DRAMATIC YOU NUT!! JUST ING STAY OUT OF MY LIFE THIS TIME!” She ended the call and threw her phone into her purse, crossing her arms over her chest and huffing a sigh of relief. She looked up to see Hanbin staring at her from across the small green space in the middle of their dorm complexes. “What do YOU want?” She asked, more rhetorically than anything. Approaching slowly, Hanbin asked her if she was okay. It seemed like they were both having pretty ty nights. 

 

“It was just an ex. We got back together but he’s still being a jerk. Always forgetting to bring me to his frat parties and hanging out with his dumb friends. Ugh my Instagram is going to look so boring now without him in the photos!” 

 

“Wait.” Hanbin started. “You’re telling me that you asked me out when you were already getting back together with your ex?!” 

 

“Yeah, duh. What didn’t you understand?”

 

“So I was just a rebound?” He asked, a little hurt.

 

“I guess. But if it makes you feel better he was way better at .” Jennie said with a slight pout, not really seeming like she cared what Hanbin thought.

 

“That actually doesn’t help… It makes me feel even worse than I did this afternoon. Which was pretty in ty so … thanks.” He said, walking away with less confidence than ever. 

 

“Do you want to grab a drink?” Jennie asked as he walked away.

 

“Not with you, not really.” Hanbin said as he turned around, still walking backwards.

 

“We can just sit in silence. I don’t really want to be alone right now.” Jennie looked the most vulnerable she had since Hanbin had first seen her at that club. He felt something pull him back towards her. Something unexplainable. 

 

They ended up at a nearby sports bar, but after a few drinks in her, all Jennie wanted to do was dance her problems away. They ended up at the club they met at, dancing together and taking shots.

 

“You remind me of him.” She said between tequila shots. 

 

“Of your ex?” Hanbin shouted over the loud music and voices.

 

“Yeah. Partying to fill something in you.”

 

“Isn’t that what you’re doing too?” He was definitely not sober enough for this conversation.

 

“I don’t normally do hook ups. But you reminded me so much of him. That night we met.” 

 

“Thanks, I guess. This does real wonders for my self esteem.” Hanbin said sarcastically, taking another shot before walking off into the ocean of dancing bodies. Jennie followed after tipping the bartender and found Hanbin dancing with a random group of people. She grabbed his arm and dragged him by the bathrooms, kissing him before he could ask why they weren’t dancing. 

 

“But there’s something different about you. And I can’t figure out what it is.” She said after pulling apart.