Chapter 5: So close, yet so far away.

When two worlds collide

 

 

☆ ~》 Lelomato POV 《~ ☆

 


 

 

            I was woken by distant chirping sounds coming from outside, I kept my eyes shut while desperately searching for anything I could throw in the direction of the annoying sound. Back home everyone knew not to disturb this sleeping warrior because it might cost you your life, so I was pretty sure the crash and everything that happened afterward wasn't a dream.

            There was no longer a constant ache in every single bone in my body.
            There was no longer any sign of the muscles in my body not doing as they were told.
            There was no longer any dizziness warning me that I was running low on life energy.

            Growing up I was never really as fond of my parents as I am of Milimato, we just didn't work like that. All that happy lovey-dovey peaceful crap Milimato always talks about was nowhere to be seen in our household, and it wasn't just our household. Every bunny was trained to grow up to be a warrior one way or the other, every bunny was meant to be a warrior until the day you used up your life energy. She was the anomaly.

 

            Now..

            You might think that the life energy is our weakness, that we are easy to kill, but you couldn't be more wrong. Thanks to the ability to regenerate we could end up living forever. The problem with our regenerative abilities is that it will only heal one thing at a time. If you make two cuts on your arms, it has to heal one before it starts healing the other. This is why it takes a different amount of time to completely heal. To be able to heal, we need life energy.. And life energy regenerates as we heal. But, if you keep inflicting wound after wound on your body, the life energy will have no time to regenerate, so .. run out of life energy and your body will no longer heal itself leading you to a slow and painful death. Growing up had moments where I wished you could drain your own life energy in a matter of seconds, but I am now thankful for the cruel ways of my parents because it is probably what kept me alive this whole time. I have never been scared before unless you count that tiny kernel of fear, the fear that I would one day lose Milimato. I know that won't happen. I vowed it! Only over my dead body will that ever come to pass, but I feel like this time .. this time I got really close to my only fear happening. I have been through the headache, dizziness and agonizing pain a million times before. I even passed out a couple of times while growing up, but never before has my body shut down on me like it did earlier. My body ALWAYS does what I tell it to do. I ALWAYS manage to get to safety before I go to rest up, but most of all.. I have never lost a fight to any creature before. Never has my plan failed me, and not ONCE have I had to even think about running as an option to get away. I punched that monster with full force and it didn't even flinch. My body shut down on me leaving Milimato to deal with those six giant monsters trying to lure us into some kind of trap with their pretend kindness and then baring their teeth at us.. I mean what the ?

 

            I can feel her calm presence beside me. And that negates any need I feel to get up and check on her well-being or our surroundings. We might not have been able to escape, but she is safe and I am fully healed. Today is the day where I plan to get us back home. I could be lucky and the Lord himself is looking for us. What has it been? Two days without his precious warrior, I am sure he has noticed that I am currently nowhere to be found. I should probably get up and try to figure out what to do next. I know that I need to find Bubbles that's for sure. And something tells me I have to find a way out of the monster’s house first. As I slowly let my eyes open I am met with a room that is covered in white from the floor to the ceiling, the furniture in the room is the only thing that breaks off that clean white color from the walls with a splash of red. It reminds me of the color I had covering myself yesterday after all the cuts and bruises. Everything in the room looks neatly placed as if it was not to be moved because it would break the balance in the room. Gods, the owner of this room is as much of a neat freak as the sleeping beauty next to me. If it wasn't for the fact that everything in here, INCLUDING the room itself, is at least 10 times bigger than back at home I would probably think I fell asleep in Milimato's room.

            "You're up."

            Her voice sounds sweet in my ears as she gives my hand a squeeze, the rest of the world might not understand how close Milimato and I are but if it wasn't for her.. I would be a ruthless killer with no signs of remorse. I wouldn't say that I am filled with emotions I identify and fully understand, and to be honest I barely let them show because I am not supposed to be weak, but there is a certain spark that this flower ignites in me. Just like on that first day I saw her I have always known I had to protect her, at all costs.. so far I have met that desire, so I am doing well, right?

            "Good morning sunshine. Did I wake you?" Milimato always tells me to smile, that I am prettier when I smile, but what kind of warrior smiles? ALTHOUGH, imagine being surrounded with no obvious way to escape and you just start smiling like a maniac.. If that doesn't confuse your enemies then nothing will. I know she must have had a rough few days, which is why I greet her with a smile.

            "No, the sun woke me up. Have you fully healed already? I don't know what time it is but it has barely been 24 hours since you passed out."

            "Yup, all clear! Although there is one tiiiiiny little problem left..." I start pouting.

            "What is it?"

            "I'm starving." It's like me and my belly are in sync because just as I finish the sentence it begins to make its presence known with a loud growl.

            "You always are..."

            "Are you okay? Did they hurt you after I passed out?"

            "I'm okay. After you passed out Yongguk took us to his room, locked the door and gave me the only key so that no one could disturb us without our permission. He left some food but I ate all... But there is water in the cup over there."

            "What the is a Yongguk?"

            "It's the name of the leader of the six monsters."

            "What kind of messed up name is Yongguk? And why would he leave the only key to the room with you?"

            "He said that we were free to leave once you woke up.. He even built that over there so I could be able to climb up and unlock the door if I wanted to."

            "Tch.. Leave my . I bet they are waiting somewhere for us to go outside so they can eat us... Fatties. Did you see the teeth on those monsters?!"

            "What are we going to do?"

            "Well. It doesn't seem like this Yongguk lied about this being the only key as we haven't been eaten yet. So, how about I sneak out of the room and leave you in here where it's safe? I will explore and find a way out of this mess. If we lock the door after I go outside you should be fine, if not.. Just scream and they will feel the wrath of my fists."

            "I don't know..."

            "Nothing is going to happen, I am all healed and all my senses should be working fine so I will be able to notice them before they notice me. I will be careful and NOT take any risks, deal?" I gave her my best innocent face, but really who am I kidding? Risk is my middle name, but I should at least try to look convincing so that I could go out and take risks without her having to deal with extra stress and worry.

            "Promise to hurry back here?"

            "I will make you proud! Now.. I need to make a rope.. I will slide the key back under the door once I have locked it, you do NOT open this door until I say so."

            I can't believe these idiots wear this crap as armor, it's weak.. I wonder if it's flammable. I sure hope this Yongguk isn't too fond of this armor. I will need to keep tearing it to make a long enough rope to be able to climb down from the doorknob on the other side of the door. I would have felt a little better if I had my weapons on me, but I will just have to sneak around until I either find Bubbles or something that could be used as a weapon that I can actually carry myself. Why the did we even end up landing where everything is so ing big? After tying together what looks like a very sloppy rope, but in realistic terms is more than adequate for the job, I jump off the enormous bed.

            "Do you want to stay up there? I can probably manage to open and close the door by myself. And the key will be on this side of the door until you need it."

            "I'll stay here... Please promise to be safe. I don't know if I will be able to handle another day with you being knocked out.."

            "I promise, I can tell you right now that there are no monsters outside of this door at the moment. And I will run, hide and do everything I usually don't do to stay out of trouble so that I can come back to you in one piece." The idiot who built this little climbable mountain up to the doorknob actually did a good job. Getting to the top was quick and easy.

            Am I really sure that I am 100% healed up? What if my senses are wrong and the second I unlock this door they will all burst into the room and grab her? I look back at Milimato once more as I have second thoughts about leaving her. Nah, I should be able to hear those loudmouths from a mile away just by them breathing. It's fine, I can do this. I gently insert the key into the hole, slowly turning it around to make as little noise as possible. I tie my 'rope' around the knob and slowly make my way down to the ground again, if I pull hard enough I should be able to open this door. Lucky for me the idiot didn't place the chair all the way in towards the door so I should be able to open up the door enough for me to squeeze through. If I have to move all the stuff out of the way it is going to make a lot of noise, and if their hearing is almost as good as mine I will be ed the second the chair scrapes against the floor. It's now or never, right? One strong pull is all it takes for the door to open up, it made a louder sound than I thought. Someone needs to check out the hinges on the door cause it makes more noises than my stomach ever managed to do my entire life, AND THAT says a lot. After climbing up to the doorknob again I remove the rope and lightly tie it around myself, I need to get to the other side of the knob now without falling flat on my . Luck seems to be on my side because there are no monsters in sight, getting to the other side of the door was easier than expected and something hasn't gone wrong yet.

            After tying the rope on this side of the doorknob I swing down on the ground, making sure no monsters were around as I gently pull the rope. Closing the door is easier than opening it after all. I tie the key to the end of the rope before climbing back up, this would be A LOT easier if I was the same size as the monsters. As soon as I haul up the key I quietly lock the door and return to the floor. The only sounds nearby are the ones I make on my own which could only mean that either the monsters are deaf or they are currently not around. I push the key under the door to Milimato's side as I take a look around, finally being able to relax as I only have to worry about myself. To my right, there is a closed door that I am guessing is not my way out of here. Across from that Yongguk's room is another room with its door open, actually, the rest of the other four doors that I can spy on my left is open too and I am guessing that there are stairs in the far end of this hallway.

            After slowly walking towards the first room across from Yongguk I am met with a strong scent I am not familiar with, the walls are just as white as they were in Yongguk's room. Is that a thing here? Bright white walls? The hallway was white, but at least the rooms seem to have a different colored theme on their furniture and decorations. In this room the furniture was all in pink, it wasn't as tidy as the first room and on the walls were photos of what looks like female versions of the monsters with a little less armor on. This room makes me feel uncomfortable for some reason, maybe it's time to check out the rest of the rooms to make sure that I don't leave Milimato alone on the same floor as those idiots. The room that is next to the pink room is also empty, no monster in sight. This room looks like it would fit inside Bubbles, I barely know what half of the stuff is here but there is technology stuff everywhere! The walls are still as bright as the other two rooms with the furniture having a hint of yellow. If only I could bring Bubbles here maybe I could fix her up.. Or I could just try and steal some of the stuff to wherever Bubbles is hiding right now and then fix her. Hopefully, the crash didn't do too much damage, I never did get around to ask just how bad of a shape Bubbles was in.

            Note to self, ask Milimato about Bubbles and what it looked like where we crashed. Might make things easier when actually trying to find my way there.

            Alright, the room across from this one happens to be next to Yongguk's room. The smell of food hits me so hard I had to run inside without even thinking about checking if the coast was clear. I don't know where the smell is coming from but I badly want whatever is smelling so deliciously! The smell is coming from the wrappings that are either on the floor or inside the basket underneath the desk. DAMNIT! Get a hold of yourself warrior, you need to find a way out of here and keep Milimato safe. You will have to think about that stomach of yours later!

            Just as I expected, white w... WHY IS EVERYTHING BASICALLY WHITE IN THIS ROOM? What the... This idiot surely deserves a kick in the face. Stop stalling warrior and move out, NO FOOD! ...I'm sorry stomach, I am sooo sorry... I will make it up to you, there has to be something edible around here.

            Two more rooms... Want to bet that the walls are going to be ing white? WHITE drives me insane okay? It's too bright, it hurts my eyes and it doesn't hurt to switch things up a little. Make it all black, all dark and moody just like me!

            Let's check out the room next to the good smelling one. If Milimato was here... she would probably smack me on the head and compare me to the owner of this room. Not because of the white walls and green furniture but because of all the armor and equipment laying around EVERYWHERE. Before Milimato came into my life I used to throw around me and just leave it there, no judging! I was young and I happen to like organized messes, ok? Whoever is the owner of this room likes to work out a lot, better be sure to stay out of his way or things might get ugly.

            The last room. The mess in this room wasn't as bad as in the other one but at least I knew what was taking up most of the space in that room. There are these wooden objects with some kind of wheels on it? At least I think it's supposed to be wheels because it moves when I poke it. While taking a look around the room I try to figure out what type of name the color of this room is, the walls are as always white but.. The furniture has a light blueish color. I should probably try and close the doors to the last two rooms before Milimato sees it or she will want to clean those messes up. It seems that none of the monsters are home, which leaves me with exploring my way out downstairs.  If Milimato could see me now she would probably kill me, yup. Most certainly would kill me, then resurrect me JUST to kill me once again.

            This is SUCH a bad idea.

            Turns out the wooden object has something that keeps it moving if you push it, so here I am.. I kind of borrowed one of those wooden plank objects from the last room. Currently staring at the stairs, I know that this is a bad idea but to be fair! It's the fastest way down the stairs, right?

            What's the worst that could happen?

            With a very tight grip on the front of the plank, I slightly jump to make it roll down the stairs. Why was this a bad idea? Well... It could probably wake the entire neighborhood with the banging sounds it's probably going to make but the bumpy ride itself is going to be totally worth it! If the monsters are nowhere to be seen I am going back up there to borrow another one of the plankmatos. Yes, that is what I want to call them. Plankmatos.

            After reaching the end of the stairs I didn't exactly know how to stop the plankmato from moving so I had to wait until we crashed into something and crash we did. The object we ended up crashing into?

            "OUCH! What the hell was that for?! It wasn't enough one of you had to bite me yesterday. So sick of these things, Daehyun take your goddamn bunny before I kick it."

            "HEY! You piece of please, do try and kick me. Give me a reason to beat your sorry up!" Did they all have to be here? And where the is here anyway? White walls, black theme.. and this looks like a kitchen and dining room? So the stairs lead to the kitchen... Then where is the door that will let me go outside? While quickly trying to scan the area to memorize my way out of here I can feel one of the monster’s eyes on me, it was that damn idiot who tried to keep me from Milimato last night with his hand. I should punch him and his teeth out, but right now I am in no position to start a fight as I am surrounded by six gigantic monsters sitting around the kitchen table from last night. Although I do find it rather strange that none of them has gotten up from their seat to try and catch me yet.

            "Your wounds...."

            "What about them?" Why is his eyes so widened? Is there something wrong with me? I start turning around and trying to look all over my body to see if I can find whatever he was staring at.

            "They're gone.."

            "What do you mean they are gone Daehyun? Wounds don't go away overnight."

            I recognize that voice, it was the voice that kept annoyingly barking about me not being able to understand and told them to just grab Milimato. If only I could see all of their faces I would be able to know which one to punch but staring at their legs and feet... it's not doing anything. Especially since they are wearing the same armor.

            "Youngjae, I am telling you they are all gone. Not even a single scar is visible!"

            "Hey, you! Fatty! Sit still.."

            "Why should I sit.."

            Daehyun as they called him started to laugh like crazy when I was climbing up his leg, why? I don't know. These idiots seem more harmless than Milimato. Pulling a stunt like this and actually trusting my gut that they won’t hurt me just yet would earn me a smack on the head from the boss upstairs. After climbing up his leg I managed to drag myself up on the table, this is my best worst nightmare EVER. I am here to be serious and get some answers out of these monsters but the entire table is filled with tons of food, and guess what? EVEN THE FOOD IS BIGGER THAN BACK HOME! This isn't helping...

            "Never seen a bunny before? Stop staring already." So it might have been a bad idea to get up on the table, all of them are staring at me with widened eyes now. Could it be a sign right before they take a bite? Well, in this case, they could probably swallow me whole but still..

            "So she wasn't kidding when she said you would heal..." A dark husky voice mumbles, I figure this must be the leader she was talking about unless she kept a few details from what actually happened when I was knocked out. As I take a step closer towards Yongguk my foot come in contact with a long metal object that seems light enough for me to be able to use as a weapon in case I need it.

            "I take it you are Yongguk, I would love to say that it's a pleasure to meet you but I would be lying my off. Although I do owe you a thank you for keeping your word about the room being safe."

            I pick up the long metal object from the table while not breaking eye contact with the leader. If it's one thing I have learned it's that you can tell a lot from a creature’s eyes. Like the tiny sparks that are barely visible when someone's mood changes, or the pupil dilating a second before your enemy strikes. This is all basic knowledge they try to embed in your brain during training days, the true power is to be able to read people without having to look at them. From the warriors in our district back at home I am the only one who could go in blindfolded in the middle of war and come out without a scratch.

            Impressive? Maybe. But the road to actually getting that good is not worth it if you ask me. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see a smug smile on the face of one of the monsters.

            "You.." I say while I point the metal object in his direction but still keeping eye contact with the leader, he is after all the one calling the shots. Unless they have the ability to read each other’s mind I will be able to hear him bark the order before it actually happens.

            "I owe you a beating for dropping Milimato, but you can thank your little leader over here for saving your ."

            "You, beat me? Tch, as if." He scoffs.

            "I don't know what you are, I don't know what district this is.. but piss me off more than you already have and I will make it my mission to find out just so I can blow this entire district into smithereens. Understood?"

            This leader of theirs sure has some balls, he hasn't looked away for even a second yet.

            "Please don't mind Himchan, he is having a rough morning. I'm glad you are okay, but where is Milimato?"

            "She is safe. As you may understand I don't trust you one bit, so I had to come down here and memorize the way out of here for when we want to leave. She told me that we were free to go when we wanted to, and as you can see I am all healed up so we will be leaving shortly. I just need to decide if it's safe enough to bring her out and walk out of here."

            "I'm sorry but I can't let you leave just yet.."

            "What did you just say? Because I swear I thought I heard you say we are not allowed to leave. And that is a bit of a problem. I barely listen to the commands of the Lord himself so what makes you think I will listen to you?"

            "Junhong, is the bunny religious?" I can hear one of the monsters whisper.

            "Sure sounds like it Jongup hyung." Do they think I am deaf? For a whisper that was louder than the sounds I made coming down the stairs.

            "I am trying to keep you two safe. After I brought you upstairs I had a nice long chat with two rather upset humans who wanted to know if we had seen their bunnies. Sound familiar?"

            "If you are referring to the morons who put me in a box made out of glass and seriously thought I wouldn't find a way to break it then yeah, sounds familiar and yet that is not my problem. No one is touching me, let alone touching Milimato."

            Note to self: ask Milimato what the a human is, sounds ridiculous if you ask me.

            "I don't know what your attitude problem is, but you need to get off your high horse and stop acting like you two disgusting bunnies are THAT important."

            This Himchan guy thinks he gets to speak without permission? no. This staring contest with Yongguk is so damn boring but I refuse to lose. That is why I had to throw this metal object in Himchan's direction pinning the collar of his armor to the chair with a smirk on my face. I could feel all the eyes that were on me look elsewhere and this was my time to take a bite of the delicious smelling bread that was right next to me, breakfast for champions. I break off a big piece before I start moving to jump down from the table.

            "No, wait, please! We can explain." The monster's hand stops me from jumping off the table, this situation feels oddly familiar only this time Milimato is not in danger.

            "Unless that hand is going to help me down from the table I suggest you move it."

            The hand quickly disappears and I can finally jump down on the ground. Sitting around here doing nothing isn't going to help me. The fact that they obey and repeatedly use the word please is the last evidence I need to conclude that these monsters are harmless, there is not a single bone in their body screaming danger. If you ask me I am pretty sure I could take over Yongguk's role as leader and have my very own pack of humans, whatever the hell humans are.

            "Lelomato, where are you going?"

            "I don't know why you think you are allowed to call me by my name Yongguk, but if you really must know I am going to check on Milimato. I can hear the slight panic coming from her due to me not returning yet, so I am going to go get her and you will have the honor of telling her why I am not 'allowed' to bring her home. I am not taking a punch for you, weakling."