Eyes on You

Your Wrist and a Wooden Bracelet
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

In a small old room next to his faculty building, Nam Taehyun was sitting and reading some papers submitted by new bies in his debating club. He was not happy with the quality of essays, but at least he was grateful for a glass of hot vanilla latte he now enjoyed in that snowy day. He liked winter but the coldest in the winter was not his favorite.

He had no class and decided to come early for debate coaching that day. His older cousin brought home his band mates, so he knew very well he would better go before his brother’s squad tried to flirt him endlessly like they always did. Taehyun and his cousin Sehun were only a year old apart and though they only lived together in Sehun’s private apartment after Taehyun moved to Seoul three years ago, both gorgeous gentlemen surprisingly had always given the same visuals and vibes! Well, that was what almost everyone said. What made them different was the fact that Sehun was more soft and friendly while Taehyun always seemed hard to approach.

Taehyun sipped his last vanilla latte, starting to get hungry when he noticed one of the debate trainees entered the room.

“Good afternoon Mr Nam”, said a tall guy with curly hair. He was sitting in the first row of the audience chairs facing Taehyun.

“Good afternoon, Adam!”, Taehyun stopped reading the essays and instructed Adam to later inform his comrades to prepare a match on international affairs, “for 30 minutes, prepare arguments whether the sun rises from east”. Adam eyes widened as he heard the topic but he immediately wrote it down in his note, ready to tell his friends as soon as they came. After giving the instruction, Taehyun went to the cafeteria and texted Seungyoon.

T: Where art tho? I am at the cafeteria eating ramyun. Come here now, my treat.

Y: Coming in two minutes, Prof Yang just called me.

“So why did Hyunsuk call you?” Taehyun asked as soon as Yoon arrived.

“Since when did you become this enthusiastic?” Yoon teased. “Well it’s about the party”.

“Which party?” Taehyun sounded surprised.

Yoon then ordered his ramyun and explained “Cross Cultural Understanding party of course! Don’t tell me you did not know that every year, students are supposed to prepare a CCU party. Well, the aims is to make us getting used to international communications but this party has turned more into a costume party. I have decided to wear Viking costume like Thor! What about you?”

Taehyun completely had no idea such a party existed “Easy, joseon costume. I am going to be a Joseon official”

“Are you kidding me? You really never paid attention in classes. Prof Yang has strictly forbidden students wearing Korean costumes”

“What??? Does he think Korea is not a part of international society or what?”

“Hey relax, he does not want anybody wearing Korean costume because he is dressing up like a Joseon King and kind of not fond seeing others in the same dress. Well he always does that. Every year”

Taehyun widen his eyes but he decided to eat his ramyun.

“I know what you are thinking”, Yoon laughed and joined him eating ramyun.

 

 

 

“Good afternoon everyone. Did Taehyun give you the assignment yet?” Yoon asked entering the debate room. Taehyun followed him and made himself convenient in the last row of the chairs.

“Stop wasting time, start the match now”, Taehyun interupted before anyone could respond.

The debate session finished after an hour and the new debaters were now nervous waiting for comments and judgement from Yoon and Taehyun.

“For me the debate was messy, definitely under average. What is wrong with you guys?” Yoon started his comments. Taehyun stayed silent, putting his chin on top of his fist, eyeing Adam and everyone in the room.

“Adam, first speaker of positive team. Care to explain what was your team trying to say?” Yoon asked again.

“Our team was trying to prove that global warming is only a myth. Sun still rises from east and earth is not getting warming...”

“Can anybody but him speak too? I am not going to listen again to some nonsenses like what I have just heard”, Taehyun voiced up.

Yoon sensed the tension and immediately spoke up “For the positive team, not only Adam, what were you discussing during casebuilding time? Do all of you really think the topic was about global warming?”

Everyone was silent.

“Are we talking to Seoul University’s future debaters or bunch of useless stones?” Taehyun started losing his patience, then the last speaker of positive team raised her hand.

“Yes, Lisa”, Yoon said.

“I was actually thinking if the debate would be about economics. About whether or not countries in east part of the globe, I mean Asian countries have started leading the world economy. “

The new debaters waited for their seniors’ response.

“Then what made you spend 30 minutes to discuss such a non sense instead of what you really had in mind? You are not confident because Adam has trained longer than you, so everything but his opinion is wrong?

“And you Adam, didn’t I give you the clue that the debate was about international affairs? How on earth did you turn that into environment debate?” Taehyun continued “I want everyone to re-debate this next week with really good arguments. Now we even don’t want to discuss how messy your match was. Now rest for fifteen minutes then prepare for another match on culture and sustainable development.”

 

 

 

The kids finished the debate training at 9 pm, everyone was packing their stuff when Taehyun suddenly told adam “I see you are really... potential”, giving him the sweetest smile Adam never imagined. Adam blushed  “Th.. thanks”

“Potentially problematic” Taehyun continued, eyes looking at Adam in unfriendly manner. Taehyun then left the room, followed by amused Yoon.

“Mr Nam really has a sharp tongue, doesn’t he?” said Lisa

“I don’t mind being scolded everyday though. Look at how soft lips moved when he’s angry! So damn heavenly aesthetic”, Adam said then laughed with Lisa and others.

 

 

 

Taehyun arrived at home, feeling so thankful that his cousin’s friends were gone. Sehun was now feeding his dog. Taehyun headed to the stairs leading to his room, did not bother greeting his cousin.

“You okay bunny? You seem overly busy with your coaching thingies these days”, the slightly taller guy asked.

“Stop calling me bunny, I am not a bunny” Taehyun complained.

“Ey ey ey, when you were five you liked being called bunny so  much “Sehun why you call me bunny? do I look like a bunny? Am I cute then?” Sehun recalled the memory.

“I am not 5 anymore matter of factly” Taehyun was now almost reaching his room’s doorknob w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter