Chapter 3 - Hidden Meaning

Memories

Times have changed.

Gone were the days where Taeyeon would wake up to Tiffany still sleeping beside her, replaced with the days where Taeyeon would find herself waking up to an empty bed.

Gone were the nights where she would cuddle with Tiffany to sleep, replaced with the sad nights when she found herself crying to sleep.

Life had apprently knocked Taeyeon down, to the point where nothing she tried could make her recover from this hit. What could be worse than the love of your life forgetting who you are? Perhaps nothing.

It was the same routine for Taeyeon over and over again. Today was no exception. As she woke up from her sleep, her hand automatically shifted to the empty space beside her.

“She used to be here.” Taeyeon thought.

Sitting upright on her bed, Taeyeon took a look around the room, only to realise that everything reminded her of Tiffany. From the light pink blanket that was resting on her lap, to the picture frame on the dressing table.

“No, i’m not going to cry today.” Taeyeon told herself as she left the bed. It was the day where she would be going out with Tiffany, and Taeyeon knew she had to be mentally strong or everything would crumble in front of the love of her life.

Fishing out her handphone from the drawer, Taeyeon scrolled through her notifications only to realise that Tiffany had sent her a message last night.

-Hey Taeyeon, i’ll meet you at the cafe near my house at noon, see you there!🙂

Taeyeon chuckled at the text she received from Tiffany.

“She still loves to add smiley faces into her messages. Cute.” Taeyeon thought.

Taeyeon walked into the cafe at noon, looking around for the familiar brunette that she was supposed to meet there. It did not take more than a few seconds for Taeyeon to notice Tiffany, and apparently it was the same for the latter.

“Hey Taeyeon!” Tiffany called from where she was sitting.

“Hi Tiffany. How are you today?” Taeyeon asked as she sat down in front of Tiffany.

“I’m feeling great! Happy in fact, knowing that i’ll be able to catch up with you after what happened.”

“I see. Give me a minute, i’ll go and grab some drinks for us.”

“Sure. Thanks Tae.”

As Taeyeon made her way towards the counter, she realised that Tiffany was playing with a ring on her finger, the very same ring which she kept in her drawer at home. Their couple rings.

Holding back a smile, Taeyeon proceeded to order Tiffany’s favourite drink, one she had ordered countless times over the years. Bringing the drinks back to the table, Taeyeon spotted the ring being placed in front of her.

“Hey Tae, is this your ring?”

“Huh? I’m pretty sure that’s yours, seeing as to how it’s in your possession.” Taeyeon replied.

“Really? The engravings say “Taeyeon’s”, so i presume this is yours?” Tiffany asked innocently.

“Oh no, that’s yours. It’s engraved as “Taeyeon’s” simply because this ring represents our friendship. You’re my best friend just like how i am to you.” Taeyeon said while smiling, hoping to cover up the truth behind the rings.

“Ahhh.. I see. That’s pretty cute though, i like the idea of you claiming me as your best friend. You’ll always be my best friend Taeyeon, i promise.”

Taeyeon simply smiled in return, hoping to cover up the disappointment within her.

Her mind went back to that special day, five years ago..

“Taetae, let’s get couple rings.”

“Hmmm? What’s with the sudden request?”

“Nothing much actually. I just one something to represent that we belong to each other.”

“Aww, that’s so sweet, Fany-ah. What should we engrave on our rings though?”

“That’s simple. Yours would be “Tiffany’s” and mine would be “Taeyeon’s”. Simple right? That shows that i’m your’s and you’re mine.”

“Sure, i’m always agreeing with you anyway. Love you, Fany-ah.”

“I love you too.” 

A soft grip on her hand made Taeyeon snap out of her thoughts.

“Tae? What are you thinking about?”

“O-oh, nothing much. I guess i’m still a little bit too happy that you’re back.”

“Ah. I know it might sound weird if i say this, but… I love you.”

Taeyeon couldn’t believe what she was hearing. There sat Tiffany, just a seat in front of her, holding onto her hand softly while saying that she loves her.

“W-what?”

“I love you as my best friend, i love you for putting in so much effort in making me remember you. I love that you are patient with me and i love the fact that you are forgiving enough to accept me back as your best friend even though i couldn’t remember anything in the past.” Tiffany said.

Taeyeon couldn’t help herself from tearing after hearing what Tiffany had said. It was a bittersweet moment for her, hearing the three words from Tiffany, knowing that it would never be the same again.

Taking a deep breath, Taeyeon composed herself as she said the words that she had been dying to say all these while.

“I love you too, Fany-ah.”

Tiffany would never know how much Taeyeon meant by those words.