Chapter 2 - The Truth, But It Hurts

Memories

Taeyeon-ah.”

“Hmm?” The said girl looked up from the photo album she had on her lap.

“Yuri and I have something to tell you.”

“What is it regarding?”

“Tiffany.”

 

“What is it regarding?”

“Tiffany.”

“W-what about her?”

“It’s time we admitted something, Taeng. We’re really sorry for keeping this from you but it was for your own good.” Sunny stated while occasionally stealing glances at the person standing beside her.

Taeyeon’s gaze shifted from Sunny to the fidgeting girl standing beside her.

“So Yuri… What.. What have you all been keeping from me?”

Taeyeon was trying to keep her emotions in check as she asked her question, hoping that she would not lose herself in a moment of anger.

“Tiffany.. She..” Yuri mumbled.

“She what?”

“She’s back.”

“Wh-What?! She’s b-back?!” Taeyeon exclaimed.

“Yea..”

“Why didn’t anyone tell me?!”

“Well.. The problem is….”

“Sunny! Yuri!”

“Tiffany!”

Taeyeon watched with an amused look on her face as she watched the reunion in front of her.

“Tiffany! How was your trip back to the states? Was university fun? How was the weather?”

“Haha calm down! How am i supposed to answer everything at once?”

“Oops hehe. Got a little bit too excited back there. How was the trip?”

“Oh… It was alright.”

“I see…” Yuri mumbled, noticing that Tiffany’s attention was no longer on the two of them, but on the silent girl that was standing a few feet away from them.

“H-hi? You are…?” Tiffany asked the silent girl.

“T-Taeyeon. Nice to meet you, Tiffany.”

“You know who i am? Have we met before?”

A forced smile. “Y-yes. I was your gir-, best friend. I heard what happened in the states, are you alright?”

“I’m alright. I’m sorry if i might have forgotten anything regarding us, my memory took quite a hit from the accident. Is there anything i should remember in particular?”

“Nothing much. Oh, maybe just know that i’m crazily in love with red velvet cupcakes and ice cream.” Taeyeon said.

Sunny and Yuri looked at Taeyeon in alarm after hearing with the short girl had said. It wasn’t about the fact that Taeyeon chose not to reveal anything about her relationship with Tiffany, but rather it was because red velvet was a very sentimental flavor to Taeyeon.

The first time Taeyeon confessed was over a bowl of red velvet ice cream.

Their first date was at a red velvet ice cream parlor.

Their first kiss was shared over the same ice cream.

Their first quarrel was about red velvet ice cream as compared to red velvet cupcakes.

Their relationship literally involved red velvet flavored sweet treats in every sigle way.

“I see.. I guess you really are my best friend seeing as how i really really love red velvet ice cream and cupcakes too.” Tiffany replied with a smile.

“Well, now that everyone is done with the formal talk, let’s proceed for lunch before Yuri starts complaining about having her healthy diet regime screw up.” Sunny interrupted.

“Sure.”

Lunch with Tiffany was officially one of the hardest thing Taeyeon had to go through. It took her massive control to not grab Tiffany and kiss her senseless, seeing as to how her girlfriend was just sitting beside her at the restaurant.

“Is something on my face, Taeyeon?”

Taeyeon shook her head as she averted her gaze away from Tiffany, after realizing that she had been staring blatantly at Tiffany for the past five minutes.

“What’s with the stare then? Did i do something wrong?” Tiffany asked innocently.

“Nothing. I just…. missed you.” Taeyeon said somewhat gloomily, knowing that Tiffany would never know how much she really missed her.

“Awww. I’m back now Taeyeon, that’s all that matters. We’re still best friends and i’ll do my best to make our friendship better than whatever we had before i lost my memory.”

Taeyeon almost broke down after she heard what Tiffany said. It was very difficult for her to accept the fact that what she had with Tiffany was just a matter of the past. Everything.

“Thank you so much Tiffany.”

It was only till an hour where Taeyeon found herself sitting alone in the car with Tiffany after Sunny and Yuri had been dropped off. There was an awkward silence in the car as Taeyeon stole occasional glances at the girl beside her.

If there was anything different with Tiffany, it would be the fact that she looked even prettier than before. Or maybe it was simply because Taeyeon missed her too much. Either way, Taeyeon would never get enough of Tiffany, and never in hell was she going to admit it in fear of jeopardizing her friendship with Tiffany.

“We’re here!” Tiffany exclaimed.

“Yea. Welcome home Tiffany.”

“Thanks so much Taeyeon, i’ll call you later when i’m done unpacking my stuff. We could go for supper later if you don’t mind.”

“Nah, you need the rest. Let’s go.”

“Huh? Where are we going?” Tiffany asked.

“Er.. Home?” Taeyeon replied while pointing at the building behind them.”

“O-oh! You.. live with me??”

“N-no!”

“Then… Why did you say ‘let’s go’?”

“Oh. I’ll help you carry your luggage up because that’s what best friends do.”

Taeyeon was out of the car before Tiffany could even protest. Defeated, Tiffany followed Taeyeon all the way to the doorstep before turning around to face the latter.

“I guess this is me. Thanks for helping me out today, Taeyeon.”

“No problem. I’ll see you tomorrow?”

“Okay. See you.”

Taeyeon waved goodbye as she turned around, only to be yanked back into a bear hug.

“Bye Taeyeon.”

As Tiffany entered her house, an elderly figure emerged from the kitchen with a smile upon his face.

“Miyoung-ah!”

“Daddy! I’m home!”

“Yea, i can see that. Did Taeyeon fetch you home?”

“Taeyeon? You know my best friend as well?”

“Er.. Best friend?” Mr Hwang asked?

“Yes? Taeyeon?”

“She’s your best friend?”

“Well duh. What did you expect her to be?” Tiffany was confused.

“N-nothing.”

“You’re weird today, daddy. I’m just going to rest now okay? The flight was exhausting.”

“Sure thing Miyoung-ah.”

As Tiffany retreated back into the comforts of her room, Mr Hwang took out his phone to send a text message to Taeyeon.

“Taeyeon? Why did you introduce yourself as Miyoung’s best friend?”

“It’s the right thing to do ahboji. I couldn’t bring myself to tell her that i was her girlfriend. Miyoung would freak out and knowing her personality, she’d scold herself for not remembering our past. I just want Miyoung to know that i’ll always be here for her as her best friend.”

“But Taeyeon-ah, wouldn’t that hurt you more?”

“More than you could imagine, ahboji. But i have to do this. For her sake. I’m fine with being her best friend. This way, she’d always be with me no matter what happens. Besides, i believe that Miyoung couldn’t remember our past as i wasn’t good enough for her.”

“Don’t say that, Taeyeon-ah. Miyoung was the love of your life and so were you to her, don’t do this to yourself.”

“I’m sorry ahboji, but i guess i can’t change anything. It’s better to have her as a best friend if i can’t have her as a lover. This way, at least i get to see her.” 

Mr Hwang could only sigh after reading Taeyeon’s message.

“Think it through? Maybe there’s a chance that she might remember?”

“I’m fine, ahboji. I guess some things are just not meant to be. I’ll always love her no matter what happens, but i can’t say the same for her. That’s why i’m willing to stay by her side forever, so that i can continue loving her without the risk of her leaving me. Have a nice day ahboji.” 

A drop of tear made it down Taeyeon’s face as she sent her final message. She was slowly but surely crumbling emotionally.

“I’m sorry ahboji. I love her too much.” Taeyeon said to no one.