five

Love under her eyes

Momo sighed. She heard Sana laughed at the other table in the cafeteria. It has been 3 week Sana had been ignoring her and two week since they kissed. Momo touched her lips unconsciously.

 

Did the kissed meant that I like my best friend? Will everything change after this?

 

Mina was eating rather silently and looked disinterested. Momo glad that she and Mina stopped fighting. She wonder if she hurt Mina in the process.

 

Is their love is fallen apart?

 

“what wrong with your food?” Momo ask her girlfriend.

 

“dont feel like eating” Mina says, poking her salad.

 

“ don’t worry” Mina continued and extended her hand to Momo’s.  

 

Momo smiled as she held her girlfriend’s hand tightly. Her heart warm looking at her girlfriend eyes. But she felt guilty by looking at Mina’s eyes once she remembered how soft Sana’s lips moved against her upper lips. She hung her head lowly poking at her food.

 

Should I tell Mina the truth now?

 

Momo turned her head again as she heard loud laughter erupted again at Sana’s table. Mina noticed

 

“You should talk to her again babe” Mina caressed her girlfriend hand softly.

 

“I cant, she ignored me for almost a month” Momo sighed.

 

“ she cant ignore you forever, you are her best friend, you have that special place in her heart” Mina said truthfully.

 

Somehow Momo wondered does Mina know about her little secret

 

“I’ll try” Momo whispered as she caught Sana’s looking at her way. She feel her heartbeat stopped once they made eye contact.

 

Momo turned away. Mina frowned.

 

Ugh why do its hurt looking at MOmo like this

 

“Good” Mina responded uncertain

 

“oh btw im going out with Jihyo later” Mina informed

 

“okay have fun okay?”

 

“don’t miss me too much”

 

Momo smiled. At the corner of her eyes she observed the way Sana’s laughs sound.

 

Momo can't remember exactly when they became friends, they never had a discussion that ultimately ended in them being friends. She did, however, remember what catalysed their friendship.

 

 

'See, as a kid, Momo already enjoyed dancing. She joined one of the dance team back in their middle school and she always ahead of others in term of mastering every new dance choreography. That was when she met Sana for the first time.

 

Sana happened to be in the same class as her. Momo remembered that Sana’s hairs was black and straight, her feature was skinny with pale complexion. Her personality was completely opposite of her; loud, cheerful, and optimist. Back then during the dance class Momo did not really talk to her. But she caught Sana’s checked her out once in a while.

 

The event that catalysed their friendship happened when Momo it was their get together for their dance team. She was waiting for Nayeon to get some drinks for them while she wait at the side. She felt herself being pushed to the center of dance floor. Eventually she was pushed into Sana front. Thought the music at the party seem loud it still feel weird. Momo sweared she heard herself sigh against the contact. Sana looked so pretty up close. Even in her glasses. Awkwardly both of them smiled.

 

“ops sorry” Momo said apologetically

 

“its fine” Sana flashed her smile.

 

“so how its going?” Momo tried again

 

  “um! The food was so good and look how pretty the theatre looks. And everyone looks so nice!” Sana gushed.

 

Their conversation was cut short by the photographer announcing that they would be taking the picture now. As Momo put her arm around Sana and flashed a peace sign to the camera, she couldn't help but wonder if the way her arm wrapped around Sana’s shoulder would make her uncomfortable.

 

Sana looked at her and smile. Momo swear she could not stop staring.

 

“Hey can you help me with my dance routine? Im at it” Sana murmured softly keeping her eyes on Momo’s

 

"Y-yeah sure" Momo said. She could never said no to that eyes.

 

After that moment they were inseparable.

 

She remembered Nayeon mentioned that both of them had grew so close that everyone can’t denied the tension and chemistry. One night when Momo was quite tipsy and Sana’s not around Nayeon decided to ask Momo.

 

“Hey Momo you haven’t date anyone in a while are you in love with Sana?”

 

Momo frowned and whispered “I like her but not that way” Momo slurred

 

“ she’s not my type plus shes my best friend” she continued

 

Nayeon froze.

 

SHES NOT MY TYPE 

 

Not my type seriously? Momo thought but more importantly she's her best friend.

 

Once Sana was that geek nerd with huge classes but after spending time with her for almost 3 years Momo noticed Sana has changed drastically.

 

Her body, well changed. She stopped wearing that huge glasess and well her face and confident improved. Her sense in fashion also came in bonus.

 

She only realised that when Sana’s asked Momo to watch her dance routine. When the music started to rolls Momo was in awed.

 

Oh wow

 

Momo coughed when Sana’s curved ily to the dance moved.

 

She then started noticed a little things about Sana before this. Being her best friend Momo knew all of Sana’s secret, concern and habits and yet she failed to notice that the other girl can also shook her heart.

 

Love is weird.

 

Momo broke her reverie as her stomach grumbled. Mina chuckled and feed her. She stopped thinking about Sana for a while. 

 

I am so confused. 

 

--

 

When will you stop ignoring Momo Sana yah Nayeon murmured

 

“no im not?” Sana

 

“oh don’t le t me start I noticed stuff okay”

 

“I don’t know what youre talking about”

 

“Why are you giving your bestfriend cold shoulder btw shes happy at least shouldn’t you be happy with her at least”

 

“I am”

 

“No you’re lying”

 

“Okay fine I’ll make up to her later”

 

“Do it now! How long has it been a month? Why are you guys even fighting anyways”

 

“I don’t know really” She sighed.

 

Of course I am jealous. We kissed and shes going to pretend nothing happened to that? seriously?

 

“Its because you’re jealous of Mina?” Nayeon teased. 

 

I DON’T KNOW WHAT YOURE TALKING ABOUT 

 

"Then fix it I hate to see you guys fighting, plus you guys are best friend hello" Nayeon pouted

 

“O-okay” Sana said while she watched Mina feeding Momo across her table. Her heart hurt.

 

Why am I doing this anyway. I miss her, I miss our friendship. 

 

Falling in love is difficult, but falling in love with your best friend is heart-wrenching, Sana writes on her homeroom notebook one day. She crumples the page and rips it into pieces before throwing it in the trash can. Just to make sure.