제 6 회

At Your Service

              So, imagine having to sprint to school because you’re already running three hours late, only to find out that today was a holiday and you shouldn’t have come in the first place, only to rush back home because your best friend and his band of friends decided to check in on you since they found out that you haven’t been attending classes—because of your previous financial status, or what was left of it—and you don’t want them to find about the strangers living in your house just yet, but it turns out that your best friend didn’t bring along just any friend, he brought your ex; to top it all off, after that whole disaster of a day, you realized that the laundry you so meticulously did the day before hadn’t dried properly, so now it has that weird wet cloth smell and you have to rewash it all over again.

You’d have to be extremely talented in the field of bad luck to have all of this happen to you. Consecutively.

And our Taehyun is overflowing with such talent.

“You’re being so grumpy,” Jonghyun cooed, “Don’t be such a sour peach.” And then this guy has the nerve to tell you not to be sensitive about it.

“The phrase is ‘sour puss’,” Taehyun said, “It’s ‘don’t be such a sour puss’. If you’re gonna poke fun at me at least get it right. ‘Sour peach’ is making me so unnecessarily angry right now.”

“Hey,” Jonghyun replied, “At least I did the laundry again, right?” he grinned, winking at her. Taehyun glared at him. Jonghyun placed an arm around her, and smiled.

“I’m really useful,” he said, “Aren’t I?” Taehyun pushed him aside, faking a smile and nodding. She sighed, pulled her feet unto the chair she was sitting on, and hugged her legs. She remembered what happened earlier. Just before they left, Jongdae had told her that he wasn’t the one that invited Jinki. He wasn’t even the one who had the idea to come visit. It was Jinki who had brought them along. Taehyun sighed, it didn’t help her mood one bit.

Everyone, especially Jonghyun, was looking forward to Taehyun’s story about her past relationship with Jinki. She’d promised to tell them after dinner. Which just so happened to consist of a lot of bean sprouts. Krystal told Suho to tone it down with the bean sprouts, but he wasn’t having it.

Jonghyun had tried to set the mood right. He brought drinks, dessert, some popcorn for the spectators, a box of tissue he assumed Suho would need more than Taehyun, and a few plates. Y’know, just in case they’d parted ways on bad terms.

Remember kids, it’s not good to bottle in your anger. Always find a way to vent it out. Within the constraints of the law. Like smashing up plates for example.

“Okay everyone,” Taehyun began, “Who’s ready for the sob story of a lifetime?” Taemin raised his hand, and Krystal shot him a scolding look. He laughed awkwardly before slowly lowering it.

“If you need a shoulder to cry on,” Suho said, seeming supportive, “Jonghyun is right beside you.” Everyone simultaneously stared at him. Suho shot her a thumbs-up.

“So dense,” Minho commented, “Even I’m not that dense.”

“Right?” Taemin agreed, “Who does this guy think he is?”

“What a guy.” Krystal muttered under her breath.

Taehyun grabbed a glass full of beer, and downed it all in one go. She was about to start explaining when Jonghyun interrupted her with his abrupt laughter.

“So that’s why you went to jail!” he exclaimed, “You’re so hardcore with your drinks, even though can’t handle them.” The glare of judgement fell upon Jonghyun this time around.

“So rude,” Minho commented, “Even I’m not that rude.”

“Right?” Taemin agreed, “Who does this guy think he is?”

“What a guy.” Krystal muttered under her breath.

Jonghyun and Suho shared a teary look, and embraced one another, muttering to themselves: “Don’t mind them, brother.”, “They’re just no-good bullies.”, “They don’t understand you like I do, brother.”

“He’s no different now than he was back then,” Taehyun started, “He’s still someone warm, and kind, and reliable, and cute, and annoyingly handsome. Don’t you feel annoyed when you see him? How can someone look like that? I’m offended just by thinking about it.” Again, Jonghyun and Suho shared a teary look. They embraced each other again, comforting each other in ways like: “His face rivals mine, brother.”, “No, brother, you’re so devilishly handsome, he has nothing on you!”, “Likewise, brother!”, “Brother!”, “Brother!

“You sound like you still like him.” Krystal said. Taehyun nodded.

“I do,” she admitted, while going back for another round of beer. This time, Jonghyun successfully held in his laughter. Minho cringed his brows in confusion.

“Then how come you two…?” he asked.

“That’s where the long story comes in,” Taehyun replied, “It sort of started around the middle of my freshman year.”

“I met him by complete accident,” she said, “There’s another Taehyun on campus. Choi Taehyun. He went around looking for a ‘Taehyun’ and found me instead.” Taehyun smiled wistfully. Jonghyun noticed an empty happiness he could relate to. She began narrating her story.