제 5 회

At Your Service

              Lee Jinki was the campus’ living reincarnation of Troy Bolton. Minus the obsession over basketball, angry singing (present in all three movies), and on and off on-campus girlfriend Gabriella. God was feeling very generous while making him. Jinki had everything. He had a sense of responsibility, a path set out for him, a great personality, a handful of talents, and he was handsome. And, to add insult to injury—those little heart palpitations everyone gets when thinking of him—he was a PreMed student, and frequently acts for the Film department. As Taehyun would have said: “I’m offended by how perfect he is.” Agreed.

As Taehyun was running to get to her department, she was mentally cursing the Hell out of Jonghyun. The Jonghyun who could instantaneously summon a piano and millions of Won, refused to make her instantaneously appear on campus.

“I don’t move people,” he said, “Plus you have both legs. Plus, I’m tired. You’re young, enjoy the energy of your youth.”

“You sound like an old man,” she replied, “You’re ruining the cute, happy image I have of grandpas.”

“Aren’t I cute and happy, though?”

“You’re annoying.”

After a while, she made it to her destination: the theater hall. As you’ve probably guessed by now, yes, Taehyun is a Humanities major. Ha, gotcha there. Her next class was an elective, and her favorite for three reasons: 1. Her one friend and his boyfriend signed up for it too, 2. It was all practical, no tests whatsoever, thanks to their amazing proctor, and 3. Korean Broy Tolton, Lee Jinki, was in the same class. Well, everyone can relate to that last one.

She was surprised to see that the hall was completely devoid of people. Not a soul was present. She hurriedly checked her phone for the time. She sighed. She was, in fact, early. Half an hour early to be exact. She thought to herself: ‘This is a sign from God that I shouldn’t have come today.’

She took a seat in the very front, since why not? She sunk into the padded chair and immediately texted her friend: “I’m in Hall 3. Not dead. Pls hurry, I’m lonely.”

An immediate response came in the form of: “What? It’s a holiday today…? How the heck did you even get in? We’re on the way to your house. Don’t ask who’s ‘we’. It’s not just Minseok and I this time, hehe. I brought some friends ^^;;”

It was as if someone figuratively smacked Taehyun right in the face with a frying pan. She bolted out of the street and sprinted as fast as she could back to her house.

HOLIDAY?” she exclaimed loudly, “… COMING TO MY HOUSE?!

Seems like nothing can ever go right for our poor Taehyun.

It didn’t matter how fast she ran, because by the time she got home, a new set of people were already inside being catered to by none other than the welcomed home invaders themselves. Ironic. Taemin happened to be by the door when she burst in.

“Taehyun-ah!” Taemin called out happily. His face fell when he noticed how sweaty, flushed, and messy she looked. Not to mention the severe panting. “What… Happened to you?” Taehyun gave him the ‘hand’, shaking her head, motioning for him not to ask. When she got to the living room, however, things went from bad to really bad.

She immediately recognized her friend, Jongdae, with his boyfriend Minseok. Kim Jongdae and Taehyun were friends since Day One, and up to this day. Unlike Jongdae, however, Taehyun’s list of friends ended there. Kim Minseok is a default friend, but Taehyun loved being around him as well. They were sweet, kind people, and an even sweeter couple; she supported them to the ends of the Earth.

She recognized Kibum, an acquaintance that Jongdae and Minseok hung around most of the time. Well, anyone that isn’t Jongdae or Minseok is considered an acquaintance to her. Kibum was sat closely beside Jonghyun, and Taehyun assumed Kibum was completely head over heels for him just by the look on his face. And the thin line of drool falling from his lips.

Then there was Jinki. Her reaction to him being there was like melted ice cream. Melted. Her enthusiasm just melted. So did her spirit. Melted, and watery.

Don’t get her wrong, she totally loved Jinki. I mean, who doesn’t? Even if you didn’t like him, you still did. Even if it was just a bit. The heartthrob extraordinaire’s smile could end wars. His singing voice could cure the cancer you thought you had because of WebMD. The problem was that she loved him in another way. That way; you get me? But at the same time, she was almost intimidated by him. The guy who has all his together, came from a great family, and has a bright future ahead of him. Taehyun thought of herself as the complete opposite.

“Taehyun,” Jinki said, getting up from his seat. Taehyun felt her heart jump. She thought: ‘God, I hate this Jinki guy. Making me feel tickled pink and .’

“Your relatives told us you were sick,” Jinki continued, he motioned for Taehyun to sit down, but as he noticed how flushed and out of breath she was, he instinctively placed a hand to her forehead. Of course, he didn’t know that he was one of the reasons behind the redness on her face, and her lack of breath. It, also, was just mainly because of all that running. Taehyun, after all, is not an Olympic athlete. She’s just as out of shape as we all might be.

“From the looks of it, you’re still towards the end of your flu.” Jinki said, now actively helping her to her seat; it was clearly meant for two, yet Jinki thought she’d feel uncomfortable with him sitting closely beside. She thought: ‘Thanks God, but can I just not with Jinki today. Please. The flu they think I’m having, I think I’m actually getting it now.’

Taehyun sat down, feeling straight up awkward. She shot a look towards Jongdae, who merely grinned in return. She turned to Jonghyun, hoping for a wingman to help her out, but he was too immersed in the lively conversation he was having with Kibum. Jongdae and Minseok joined the conversation as well, so now she was left with basically no wingman. She sighed.

However, Jonghyun had been watching her demeanor from the moment she walked in. He knew about her status, but nothing about who she really was, or her personal feelings. Though he was quite sure she had more than enough feelings for Jinki. He wondered if Jinki could fill in the glaringly empty spot in his quota.

Suddenly, Minho and Taemin squeezed into Taehyun’s seat.

“My favorite dongsaeng,” Minho said, “I made you my special herb blend tea! Since you’re still kinda sick, right? It’s in the kitchen.” Taehyun made a questioning face, but Minho just smiled.

“Thanks,” Taehyun said coolly, “Love that stuff. Excuse me, I’ll be right back.”

While she escaped to the kitchen, Minho and Taemin kept Jinki busy. Amongst all the lively chaos, Suho had just come back from his trip to the grocery, hands very much full; a head of cabbage was just about to fall out of his hands, when he bumped into Jinki, who so graciously helped him out.

Meanwhile, Taehyun found Krystal in the kitchen, seemingly waiting for her.

“Krystal,” Taehyun said, “I’m suffering out there.”

“I know,” Krystal replied, amused, “That’s why your cousin made you tea.” Krystal handed her a small cup of Minho’s special herb blend tea™. Taehyun took a sip and immediately regretted it. It was concentrated beyond belief. It reminded her of the bitterness inside her brothers’ hearts. If they had any.

Unnie,” Taehyun whined, “Can I call you unnie?” Krystal nodded, laughing. “Unnie,” Taehyun continued, “If you looked up ‘uncomfortable’ in the dictionary, there would be a picture of me in HD resolution. I don’t know why the Hell they invited that guy. Of all people. I mean, I can’t deny that I like the fact that he’s here too. God, I can’t even understand myself right now.”

Their conversation was abruptly interrupted by Suho and Jinki, hands filled with groceries. Krystal and Suho began talking. Something about buying too many bean sprouts again. And Suho getting defensive over his bean sprouts. Simultaneously, Jinki flashed a smile at Taehyun. She politely smiled back. Feeling those little heart palpitations, she downed the rest of the tea in one shot.

Now, if you looked up ‘regret’ in the dictionary, you’ll see a picture of Taehyun too. In HD resolution.

The two men laid the groceries down on the table, and Jinki left to join the rest in the living room. Suho eyed the two girls.

“Cute guy, who’s that?” he said, trying his best to ‘fit in with the girlies’.

“Lee Jinki,” Taehyun said, “Don’t ask me if I like him.”

“You know,” Suho said, “You’re a nice girl. He looks like a nice guy. Therefore, you should date.” Krystal rolled her eyes at Suho’s statement. I think I just did, too.

“Oh,” Taehyun said, “We did.” Krystal and Suho were taken aback by her sudden confession, and deadpan expression.

“It’s a long story,” she continued, “And I need some alcohol to get through it.”