제 14 회

At Your Service

              There’s always that one person you know. That freak of nature. They never study, yet they get good grades—and not just above average—no—they’re probably up there at the top of the class. They’re automatically good at everything new they try, or are already multitalented. And, to add insult to injury, their metabolism is extremely fast, so they can eat bucket loads of anything without gaining a fraction of a pound—and if so, it’s from the muscle they just gained. Life is truly unfair. We regular people must manage our weight, while Freak of Nature here can down five cups of rice in one go without gaining a pound.

Taehyun was the complete opposite, completely average. She studies hard to excel, continuously works on a talent for years before getting any significantly better, and packs on the pounds easily, which on the flipside, wasn’t as easy to get rid of. However, this makes attaining something so unbelievably unattainable, much sweeter.

Taehyun wiped away the tears b from her eyes, as she looked down at her grades.

“Better than I expected,” she said, victoriously, “Exceeded all expectations. I’ve never been more content.”

Kibum looked down at the sheet of paper in hands, skimming through it. His brow, which had a distinct scar on it, rose skeptically.

“You barely passed,” he remarked, “Look at all the flat threes.” Taehyun nodded, enthusiastically pumping a fist into the air. She pulled out her phone and started texting all her ‘relatives’ that she’d ‘passed with flying colors and will be needing a celebratory dinner in honor of her sensational grades’.

“Exactly!” she exclaimed, eyes still glued on the screen, “I totally thought I was gonna fail. I was ready for it. I had a couple of drinks last night cause I already accepted my fate, but it looks like there’ll be more tonight! Yehey.”

“The miracle here,” Jongdae added, “Is that her highest grade is Prof. Soonkyu’s class. Gordon Ramsay’s fun-sized twin sister’s class. No one passes that class. No one comes out of there alive. Or in one piece; they come out in pieces.”

“God was on my side,” Taehyun commented, “I need to go to church today. Pray a lot. On my knees. This was divine intervention.”

“I’ll pray too,” Kibum said, “You need Jesus.” Jongdae nodded in agreement. Taehyun looked up from the paper in her hands, about to respond, when something caught her eye.

“Who’s that?” she asked, eyes resting on a tall, lean male, sporting the ever-popular comma hairstyle. With the numerous new acquaintances she’d acquired in the past month, thanks to the Min Twins, Taehyun was vaguely familiar with everyone—except for this one person.

“Oh Sehun,” Kibum said, “Freshie. He made a real buzz because of his face, but he made an even bigger buzz over physically fighting some guy over his girlfriend.” Taehyun nodded her head without saying anything else.

“Why?” Kibum asked, “Are you interested? Finally ready to move on?” Jongdae shot him a disapproving look. Mostly because he still shipped TaeKi with his life. TaeKi? KiTae? JinHyun? HyunKi? TaeJin? JinTae? Whichever floats your boat.

“No,” Taehyun disagreed, “I’m not interested. I only have eyes for one guy right now.” Kibum and Jongdae’s ears perked up.

“Hint,” Jondae said.

“Starts with a letter ‘J’, and is literally just divine.” Kibum let out an unamused noise.

“If you’re gonna hint at Jinki, at least make it less obvious.” he said, unimpressed. Taehyun shook her head.

Ddaeng!” she said, “Jesus. ‘J’ for Jesus. Whom I need very much.” The two jeered at her tawdry attempt at a joke. However, it wasn’t purely untrue. Lately, there was another certain ‘J’ that was catching her attention. Taehyun was fond of him, and with his flamboyant garments and equally flamboyant personality, who wouldn’t be?

Out of nowhere, Taemin appeared, resting his arm against Taehyun’s shoulder. Taehyun jumped at his sudden appearance, earning a small laugh from him. Taemin casually examined her grades, before grinning. He pulled out a sheet of his own and proudly handed it to Taehyun. She almost burst into tears.

“That’s my cousin!” she yelled, “Flat threes!”

“Never mind that,” Taemin said, “Why is it that whenever I happen to pass by you guys, you’re always talking about Jinki?”

“What do you see in him again?” he complained.

“What do you see in him?” Taehyun rebutted.

“Nothing,” Taemin replied, plainly.

“Oh by the way,” Taemin added lowly, “He’s in that art workshop no one ever goes to. I made sure he wouldn’t be leaving any time soon, too.”

“You locked him in?” Taehyun asked, incredulously. Taemin laughed, nodding his head.

“Totally,” he replied, “It was Flaming Charisma’s idea.” What a nice gesture of loyalty and friendship.