SNSD

Encounters with SNSD

Chapter 8 - [Same day as Chapter 7]

 

Jason nodded to Wubin, Riyoung, Soomi and Jaehyuk as they all returned to the office and headed back to their respective desks.  Lunch was... Interesting.  Entirely unexpected and almost hilarious in its randomness.  He was sure that, had he not been the one involved, he would have found the number of coincidences amusing.

As it was Jason shrugged off his grey coat and settled in his chair for an afternoon of productive, but blissfully uneventful reports and contracts. He zoned out and focused on nothing but his work.  The young brunette could have almost fooled himself that nothing out of the ordinary had ever occurred to him that day.

 

 

 

Except his phone vibrated, the screen lit up to signal an incoming message.  Jason frowned, momentarily forgetting that he had effectively given out his number to 9 girls today.  Until he clicked on the missive and saw what appeared to be a group chat with all of them.

Tiffany: Hi Jason-ssi! We were just wondering if you'd like to come over to our dorm tonight for dinner???

Sunny: It's a thank you for all your help during the year!

Jason sweat dropped.  There was no way he could decline this politely, but apprehension made his sense of manners waver.  He didn't want to cause any trouble, especially because he knew how badly rumours could affect a celebrity's career.

Jason: I wouldn't want to cause you any trouble.  You might be very tired after work, it would be unfair to ask you to prepare a meal for me too.

Yuri: It's no trouble, Jason-ssi! We'll all help out with cooking, so it won't be hard.

Sooyoung: Hahaha Yuri will just make salad, I hope you like eating green, Jason-ssi!

Yuri: Yah! I can make more than salad!

Hyoyeon: Hahaha stop trying to look good in front of him Yuri. Don't worry, I'll do the cooking. It'll be delicious because I'm the best cook.

Taeyeon: Yah! I'm a better cook! >:(

And inadvertent chuckle escaped him before he was aware that he was even smiling.  These girls were no doubt an energetic bunch.  Jason glanced around the room hoping that nobody noticed his lack of concentration, but he shouldn't have worried.  Everyone else was busy at their own computers.  His brown eyes turned back to the phone as more and more messages came through.

Hyoyeon: Pffft! You make tasty kimchi fried rice... And that's it. I'm the better cook. :P

Taeyeon: That's not true!

Jessica: Stop arguing Taeyeon. Just move on already.

Sooyoung: Heheheh like you can talk Sica. You can't cook at all.

Jessica: Yah! Say that to my face, shikshin!

Sooyoung: I already have. Hahahaha

Seohyun: Unnies... We're off topic now...

Tiffany: You're right, Hyunnie. So Jason-ssi will you come over dinner?

Jason: Umm... If it's not too much trouble, then I would be honoured.

Sunny: It's no trouble at all! :D

Seohyun: Don't worry, Jason-ssi. 

Jason: Okay, is there anything you would like me to bring for dinner?

Yoona: Can you bring some tteokbokki from ajusshi???

Taeyeon: Yah! Im Yoona! He's a guest, don't make requests of guests.

Jason: No no, Taeyeon-ssi. It's no truoble at all, I can bring tteokbokki.

Yoona: YAY!!!!

Sooyoung: YAYYYY!!! :D

Taeyeon: No. Jason-ssi this is our thanks to you! Don't bring anything.

Jason shifted a little uncomfortably.  His mother's teachings were ringing in his ears.  One should never turn up to dinner empty handed, it was impolite.  Then again... A mischievous smirk tugged at his lips... If he worded it right, he could get away with it.

Jason: Yes, Taeyeon-ssi.  I promise not to bring anything for dinner tonight.

Yoona: Awwwww...

Jason: Sorry, Yoona-ssi.

Sooyoung:… Jason-ssi?

Jason: Yes, Sooyoung-ssi?

Sooyoung: How old are you?  It’s weird to hear someone address Yoona so… Formally.

Sunny: He looks pretty young, I bet he's in his twenties.

Hyoyeon: 23?

Tiffany: I bet he's 24, like Yoona.

Sooyoung: Yah! I'm 24 too. You oldie!

Tiffany: I'm not old! And you never act like a dongsaeng, so I always forget. :P

Yuri: So.. How old ARE you, Jason-ssi?

Jason: I'm 25.

Sunny: WHAT??? Same age as us then!

Taeyeon: What month is your birthday?

Jason: November.

Jessica: So older than Yuri, Sooyoung, Yoona and Seohyun.

Yuri: I'm 25 too!

Seohyun: But your birthday is in December, unnie. It makes you younger than Jason-ssi.

Yoona: …. CAN I CALL YOU OPPA?

Jason: Umm... If you would like, I don't mind, Yoona-ssi.

Yoona:...You can't call me Yoona-ssi if I call you oppa. That doesn't make any sense. 0.o

Tiffany: She's right. You have to drop the honorific for her.

Jason: Umm... Wouldn't that be impolite?

Yoona: I give you permission to drop it, oppa! :D

Jason: Very well if you wish... Yoona.

Seohyun: Unnies, manager-oppa says that we're about to start filming the interview.

Tiffany: Okay. Bye bye, Jason-ssi! See you tonight!

Yoona: BYE OPPA

Sooyoung: Yoona, you sound too excited about that... Bye, Jason-ssi.

Sunny: Yay! Dinner party! See you later!

Hyoyeon: Catch you later. :P

Yuri: Bye, Jason-ssi.

Jessica: Bye.

Seohyun: Bye, Jason-ssi.  We will see you tonight.

Taeyeon: Come by at around 7.30, do you remember the dorm number?

Jason: Yes, Taeyeon-ssi. I remember it clearly.

Taeyeon: Good. See you tonight… Have a good day at work.

Jason: You too. I hope your interview goes smoothly. :)

Jason smiled as the last of the girls left the chat for work. He was glad that fate stepped in when he began to feel lonely. Jason leaned back in his chair and gazed at the ceiling for a moment. Despite his initial misgivings, he had good feeling about these girls. Maybe, just maybe he'll finally make friends here in Seoul.

Everything was finally falling into place. Work, Reputation and now, Social Life. Slowly but surely he was rebuilding his life in a new country.

The sound of a throat clearing made him sit up abruptly. His dark eyes met the mirthful ones of Jaehyuk at the desk across from him. Jaehyuk quirked an eyebrow at his strange behaviour. Jason flushed as he realised he had done nothing but text and daydream for the last ten minutes.

In an attempt at his usual well put together demeanour, he gave his colleague a quick nod and brought his focus back to work. For the first time in a long while, he had no intention of staying after hours tonight. Jason typed away quietly. The scene would have looked like the typical star lawyer they had grown accustomed to seeing, except if you liked closely. There was an upward quirk in the corner of his lips, absolutely minuscule, but if one really looked, they would see it. They would also see brown eyes that once peered at the screen with concentration dart away, ever so briefly, just looking at the time displayed on the bottom right corner of the monitor. Every few minutes they would flicker away from the report and watch the time fly away.


 

At 7.30 on the dot, Jason  knocked on the wooden of the SNSD dorm.  He could hear the sounds of multiple people bustling about inside and not for the first time, wondered if causing them this much trouble was really okay.  Once more he ran a hand though his already tousled hair and attempted to smooth his outfit.  Black leather jacket over a plain white t-shirt, coupled with dark grey jeans and converse. 

An outfit that screamed casual, Jason didn’t think it would be appropriate to come in work business suits or formal wear… He hoped he wasn’t under dressed… Footsteps from the other side of the door could be heard.  The poor nervous young man gripped the box in his hand more tightly.  It was a plastic Tupperware box in a white plastic bag.  Jason hoped fervently that they would like what he had brought.  He had left the office at 5pm exactly, raced home and prepared this.  It had been sitting in the fridge for the last hour and a half.

Finally, the door opened and revealed Seohyun’s kind and smiling face.

“Welcome, Jason-ssi,” she stepped aside to let him through, “Please come in.”

“Gomen kudasai [Pardon my intrusion].”

Jason bowed at the threshold of the door and stepped in.  As he removed his shoes he glanced up at the frozen Seohyun.  She was looking at him with a quizzical gaze from where she stood by the now closed door.

“Is something the matter, Seohyun-ssi?”

He straightened up, now barefoot and watched as the young woman tilted her head curiously.

“No... It's just... You said something. As you stepped through the door.”

“…Did I say something wrong?”

Honest to goodness, he had no idea what he had done or said.  Apprehension filled him at the thought of already insulting one of the hosts before even walking through the door.

“You said something when you bowed at the door?”

She pointed at the threshold as if to ensure there was no misunderstanding.  A light bulb moment of clarity struck him.  A little embarrassedly he gave her a sheepish grin and rubbed the back of his neck nervously.  Jason opened his mouth to explain. But in that moment Sooyoung came down the corridor calling for them.

“What’s taking so long Seohyun-ah? Oh. Hi Jason-ssi!”

The tallest member of the group waved enthusiastically and sent Jason and megawatt smile.

“Good evening, Sooyoung-ssi.”

“Aish. You’re older than me there’s no need to be so formal.”

“Sorry, force of habit,” Jason smiled shyly.

Sooyoung just shook her head and turned to the maknae.

“Why are you still out here, Seohyun-ah?”

“I was just asking what Jason-ssi said earlier, he said something as he stepped inside.”

Two pairs of eyes turned towards him and he flushed from the sudden attention.  He cleared his throat and hurried to explain.

“It’s a habit I picked up when I was a bit younger. Every time I cross the threshold at someone else’s house I always say ‘Gomen kudasai’. Which means-”

“Sorry for the bother/Pardon my intrusion,” Sooyoung completed for him, “You know Japanese?”

Jason nodded his assent, glad that someone understood.  It wouldn’t know to unwittingly insult the hosts before the dinner had even started!  With that cleared, the three of them made their way into the kitchen and dining room area where the rest of the girls were either cooking or lounging about.  Jason learnt that Sooyoung actually studied Japanese when she was younger and could speak it quite fluently. In exchange, he told her about being part Japanese, so he had studied it in high school and had gone on exchange during university. It was where he had picked up the habit.

“Hmm… That means you’re my senpai, right?”

“Technically, yes.  But, we’ve never been in the same school or in the same industry, so not really."

“We work at the same company, so that’s like working together.”

“Yes, but since you started working there first, you would be my senpai.”

“But you’re older!”

Their playful banter was interrupted by their arrival at the kitchen.  A chorus of greetings sounded from Yuri, Hyoyeon and Taeyeon as they waved hello.  All three were busy putting the finishing touches on dinner it would seem.  Seohyun returned to her book on one of the lounge seats.  Sunny smiled and waved hello from the couch she was sitting on before returning to the game on her phone. 

“Hi Jason-ssi!”

Jason turned to his right and the sight of Tiffany greeted him as she exited what he presumed to be her bedroom.

“Good evening, Tiffany-ssi.”

He bowed low once more.  When he straightened up, he caught sight of her amused face.  It looked as if she was fighting a giggle.

“You don’t have to be super formal. A ‘hello’ is fine. Hehe.”

Jason cast a sideways glance at Sooyoung who was looking away with a fake whistle, doing the most comical attempt at casual innocence.

“So I’ve been told. If you it’s what you want, then, Hello, Tiffany-ssi.”

Tiffany clapped adorably, “Yay!”

Laughter sounded from his other side.  Jason turned to see Sooyoung clutching her stomach as she laughed, losing her forced innocent face.

“You’re too funny, senpai!”

Jason shook his head and wagged one finger at her, “Nuh uh, you’re senpai.”

“But I’m younger.”

“You have more experience in the company.”

“Yah! I don’t want people to think I’m old. So, you’re senpai.”

The two of them stood toe to toe as they playfully argued back and forth.  It felt good.  Relaxing his manners and being able to have childish conversations like this was refreshing for the young man.  He stepped back chuckled, raising his hands in defeat.

“Okay, okay. You’re my kouhai.”

Sooyoung fist pumped the air in victory.

“Yes!”

She had a very smug expression as she sauntered away into the kitchen. Leaving him with a distracted Sunny and an amused Tiffany. Until…

“Hi oppa!”

Yoona walked out of one of the rooms in a form fitting jumper and skinny jeans.  In that moment he was glad he had chosen to go with the casual look.

“Hi Yoona.”

Jason forcibly stopped himself from adding an honorific as per her request.  She shot him a wide grin, then pointed the previously ignored package in his hand.

“What’s that?”

“Umm… I know I wasn’t meant to bring anything for dinner…”

“OH MY GOSH. DID YOU BRING SOMETHING FOR DINNER?”

Tiffany’s voice echoed throughout the whole room.  Sunny jumped a little in surprise.  Yuri, Hyoyeon, Taeyeon and Sooyoung all peeked their heads from the busy kitchen. Even Seohyun looked up from her book to watch.

“Jason-ssi, I told you not to bring anything.”

Taeyeon’s disapproving glare had him nervous once again.

“I-I promised not to bring anything for dinner.”

She quirked an eyebrow as if to tell him ‘go on’.

“I… Umm… I brought dessert…”

Everyone was still for a moment; you could have heard an ant sneeze it was so quiet. Then…

“Yay! What did you bring, oppa?”

Yoona clung to his arm and looked up at him with big doe eyes. In all honesty, it made him think of Bambi.  She used a high-pitched baby-ish voice… Aegyo.  All the other around him cringed at the sound, but he just smiled at the younger girl and shook his head.

“It’s a surprise. Is there space in the fridge though? It’ll be nicer cold.”

He directed his question to the four in the kitchen.

“Yeah, come in and I’ll help you put it in,” Yuri waved him over.

Jason carefully extricated himself Yoona’s grip and chuckled deeply once more when she pouted at him in disappointment.  He strode in the direction of Yuri’s voice and found himself in the kitchen with Yoona trailing behind him.  Taeyeon and Hyoyeon made sure to keep an eye on the foods now that both shikshins were in the kitchen.  Jason placed the secret dessert on an empty shelf in the large silver refrigerator at Yuri’s instruction.

“Why is it so noisy out here?”

A grumpy voice questioned.  The last of the girls, Jessica, came out of her bed room.  Her hair was a little ruffled and her eyes were half-closed as if she were still in the process of waking up.

“Aish, wake up sleepy head. Our guest is here,” Taeyeon rolled her eyes a little exasperatedly. 

No one else reacted outwardly, they were all too used to Jessica’s love of sleep to really mind anymore.  Jessica turned her sleepy eyes on the only male in the room.  Jason bowed deeply in her direction.

“The noise would be my fault. I’m very sorry.”

She eyed him momentarily without a word. Her light brown eyes gazed at him with an icy stare. It was blank, like she wasn't even really registering that there was a guy there.

“Oh. You’re the guy from the cafeteria.”

Jason stared at her in confusion, unsure about how he was supposed to react to such a blunt statement.

"Umm... Yes?"

The girls around him looked at him, then at Jessica, and then shared a knowing look. They burst into peals of laughter. Every single one of them. Jason stood there a little lost as he was surrounded by women who had completely lost it.

"Are you sure you're awake yet, Sica-ah?" Yuri managed to choke out in between laughs.

Jessica rolled her eyes and kicked her bandmate on the shin. Yuri yowled and clutched her leg in pain.

"I'm awake."

Jessica childishly stuck her tongue out and tossed her head in an elegant hair flip. She sauntered out into the living room without so much as a look at Yuri's scowling face.

"Are you alright, Yuri-ssi?"

Jason knelt down to inspect her leg. His gentle hands roamed the injured area to check for anything more serious than a slight bruising. Yuri blushed as she looked down at his kneeling form.

"I'm fine, don't worry about it."

Jason nodded and rose to his feet. Almost unaware of their captive audience, he stuck his hands in his jacket pockets and chuckled at the Black Pearl.

"I seem to be bad luck for you. That's twice now that you're injured when I'm around, Yuri-ssi."

Yuri laughed too and shook her head. She turned back to help with the cooking.

"You know, we're the same age, you can drop the honorifics."

He nodded to show that he understood.

"Then please, just call me Jason. Ah that goes for all of you, please feel free to drop the honorifics."

He made it a point to direct the rest of his statement to all of them. A sea of smiles greeted him back.

"Is it okay if I keep the honorifics when addressing you?"

Seohyun had gotten up from her seat and come closer to join the rest of the crowd. She stood there clutching her book to her chest and gazing at him with a questioning stare. He was a little saddened that she didn't wish to address him more casually as friends, the distance of formalities was something he was hoping to overcome.

"Umm... If you wish, but may I ask why?"

"It's okay for the others because they are older or the same age as you, but it wouldn't be right because I'm a year younger."

Understanding dawned on him. Seohyun must be a serious maknae if she worried about such things.

"You could always call him oppa!"

Yoona walked over slung an arm over Seohyun's shoulders.

"I'd actually prefer 'oppa' over '-ssi'."

He stared at the ground and refused to meet anyone's gaze. His face felt like it was burning it embarrassment. Embarrassment and nervousness were making his right hand run his neck self-consciously. A weak self-pitying chuckle escaped him.

"I was sort of hoping to become friends with you... All of you."

Jason looked around the room and they were all watching him with curious stares. Taeyeon was looking at him with an unreadable gaze. Tiffany's head was tilted adorably to the side. Even Jessica was peeking from the couches. He cleared his throat awkwardly.

"I don't have friends here in Seoul. I was hoping you would be my first."

The celebrities all stood there stunned at this confession. From what they had witnessed throughout the year was that this young man was kind, generous, helpful and generally a perfect guy. And right now  he was standing in their kitchen staring at the floor as his sock clad foot scuffed the ground like a school boy.

"I was probably thinking ahead of myself. I'm really sorry. Now, I've made things really awkwa-"

"You're so cute!"

Sunny launched herself at him and hugged him tightly. She nuzzled his chest and clung onto him. Jason stood there frozen with his arms pinned to his sides by the much shorter girl.

"Err..."

"Don't worry. We'll be your friends!"

Tiffany joined in the hugging. Now, he had two of them running their cheeks against him and cuddling. Hyoyeon snorted with amusement.

"Welcome to the family, Jason-ah."

That was the signal it seemed. The rest of them piled on top of him. Till they fell down and landed in a tangled heap. Jason didn't know where one person ended and another began. He just knew that Yoona, Sooyoung, Hyoyeon, Yuri and, (because Yoona pulled her along) Seohyun were in the tangled mess with him, Tiffany and Sunny.

"TaeTae, why aren't you joining in?"

Tiffany called out to the older girl who had stayed at her spot by the sink, just watching the commotion.

"Taeyeon-ah, don't you approve of our new friend?"

Sunny pouted from Jason's left side. Each one of them called out their own comments, cajoling their dorky leader until action. She gave in and smiled at them all.

"Everybody up. You're crushing the poor kid."

They all stood up, carefully picking themselves up of the floor. Until Jason was the last one left. As he moved to get off his , Taeyeon offered him a hand. She hoisted him up to his feet and looked him in the eyes.

"I guess you'll have to call us noona now."

Jason stared at her in wonder before the biggest smile they had ever seen spread across his handsome face.

"Yes, Taeyeon-noona."

Everyone around them erupted in cheers once more. They threw their hands in the air and all came together in one big ball of hugs. Jason had his arms around Taeyeon, but could feel what seemed to him like a hundred arms wrap around the two of them.

"Hey, Sica! Come here and join the hug!" Taeyeon said.

" Do I have to?"

Jessica whined as she was reluctant to get up from the comfy couch.

"C'mon unnie! Join the hug!"

Yoona urged her too. And with a childish groan their Ice Princess stood up and joined the ball of hugs. Jason couldn't help but feel lighter. Here, in the middle of his new friend all sharing a group hug, he was happy. This had been the one thing missing from his new life in Seoul. Friends. Real friends.

Soon they untangled themselves from each other and sat around the table to enjoy the meal prepared by Yuri, Taeyeon and Hyoyeon. There was chatter and laughter all round. Even Jessica loosened up eventually and cracked jokes with the rest of them. Jason told them about his time in America working for a legal firm in LA before moving to South Korea. He learnt that Tiffany and Jessica were from the USA. He and Tiffany even conversed in English! It was the first time in months that he had been able to speak his mother tongue and it felt good to be able to do so.

Dinner was delicious, with an assortment of Korean dishes, everyone was left full after the meal. Jason insisted upon helping clean up the table, and when Taeyeon have him a playful glare he just gave a cheeky grin and an even cheekier reply.

"I'm just packing up, noona. Isn't that my job as a dongsaeng?"

She swatted his shoulder, but let him carry the plates to the kitchen sink.

Later they all sat around the couches just chatting to let the food go down. Jason was laughing as Tiffany recounted a time when Jessica had fallen asleep in the make-up room before a performance. In return, Jessica told him about the time Tiffany completely forgot a part of the choreography during a performance. They seemed to be trying to outdo each other with every story. It resulted in Jason being in stitches from laughing too much.

Yoona looked up from where she was lying on her stomach on the floor, with her head on top of her crossed arms.

"Can we have dessert now?"

"You're still hungry? You and Sooyoung ate the most at dinner!" Sunny exclaimed.

"But oppa brought a mystery dessert!"

Sooyoung's ears perked up and she looked just as eager as Yoona,"What mystery dessert, senpai?"

"I'm really curious now too," Yuri her chin in thought.

"Would you all like dessert now?"

Jason was answered with a chorus of affirmatives. He pulled himself up from his seat on the couch between the two Americans and made his way to the fridge. When he returned, he removed the plastic bag and sat the white box on the low coffee table. Curiosity got the best of them all and they all knelt around the the mystery dessert.

Jason hoped against hope that they liked chocolate. He placed his hands on lid. They all leaned forward expectantly.

Carefully, he opened the container. Inside sat 10 tall glasses, each filled with chocolate mousse and whipped cream topped with a few raspberries.

"Wow..."

They all sighed out expressions of wonder at the sight of such decadent desserts.

"I hope you all like chocolate."

Enthusiastic nods from them all reassured him that that wouldn't be an issue at all. Soon everyone was given a spoon and a glass.

"One, two, three, go!"

At Taeyeon's count everyone started simultaneously. Jason watched as they all put the first spoonful in their mouths before starting on his own.

"How is it?"

"This is delicious," Yoona had her eyes closed to savour the taste.

"It's amazing," Sooyoung was already in her third spoonful of the dessert.

"One of the best desserts ever," even Seohyun added her two cents in.

Tiffany held up the glass and look at its contents more closely, "Where did you buy these?"

Jason blinked at her uncomprehendingly, "The glass?"

"No, silly! The mousse, where did buy it?"

" Umm... I made it."

"What?" "Really?!" "No way! It looks professionally done!"

Taeyeon, Jessica and Yuri all shouted together. Their awe and disbelief were clear for anyone to see. The others were much the same, just too busy eating to say anything.

"Err... Thank you?"

" This is really good. You must be a really good cook," Hyoyeon took another bite of the dessert.

"Not really, I'm okay. But I'm glad you like it."

The rest of the night was filled with talking and dessert.

When he climbed the stairs to his floor and returned to the quiet of his room, their words of praise rang in his ears. As he got ready for bed, he smiled at no one as he remembered the fun he had just talking and bonding. And when he lay in bed, drifting off to sleep, he remembered the warmth of their hugs.

Friends. They erased the dull ache he'd had, that pang of loneliness.

Taking up the job offer all those months ago was the right choice. New home, new career, new reputation and new friends... It was exactly what he had needed after everything.

He fell asleep with a small smile still on his lips.