Changing Gears

Spades & Hearts

"So..." Lay cleared his throat breaking the silence that had lasted for quite a while. "You bake?"

"What?" Pulled out of her thoughts, Suzy turned to look at him.

Keeping his eyes on the road ahead as he was driving, Lay repeated, "Do you bake?" He briefly glanced and smiled at her. "You said you used to work part-time at that bakery."

Suzy looked away and lightly bit her tongue. Regret slowly settled in her. Why did she tell him that earlier? She shouldn't have done so. She shouldn't suggest buying cupcakes for the children when he kept on mumbling to himself what to buy. No, she shouldn't have come with him in the first place.

"So?" He prodded.

Rolling her eyes, she answered, "Did. Not anymore." A hum came from Lay, and Suzy could almost hear the next question in his head. "Shut it and don't ask why," she quickly told him before he could even ask, and he chuckled.

This man and his chuckles!

She regretted coming with him indeed. But she didn't really have much choice. Since Lay slept over last night, Chanyeol had asked for Lay's availability to stay with her today even though it was still his day off. Being the overly kind friend that he was, Lay agreed to it immediately without telling her husband of his plan to visit the children's hospital. Which was really dumb for Suzy. Why did he have to put other people's need first? Her mind could not wrap around that idea of sacrificing for others. That was stupid, she thought.

If it weren't for her annoyance of hearing him sigh so very often and seeing him seemingly mope around, she wouldn't have asked what had gotten into him. When he hesitatingly revealed his initial plan, Suzy only scoffed and shook her head.

Volunteering, he told her. She internally groaned. Again with attending to people's needs!

She didn't care about his concern or the children and could choose to stay in the house since she didn't have any plan for today, but she figured she could use some fresh air. A decision she rued very much now.

Shaking her head lightly, Suzy tried to get her mind back on planning what to do with Chanyeol being her father's successor. She still could not come up with a plan. Maybe she should just confront her father right away. But then again, she knew better than to expect him listen to her. She needed to plan carefully.

"You're thinking about Chanyeol," Lay stated to her surprise.

She glanced at him from the corner of her eyes then looked back to the road ahead heaving a breath.

No, she wasn't. She was thinking of how to get rid of Chanyeol and get back at her father. But speaking of Chanyeol, something was off with him since this morning.

First, Suzy woke up to a very neat side of his bed. He slept in a room downstairs, she found out. Lay had told her it was difficult to carry a passed out giant up to their room, but she was sure it wasn't just that. 

Then, Chanyeol didn't even try to strike a conversation with her during their breakfast before he asked Lay to come with him to the library. She didn't really mind the silence, honestly. It was out of his character nonetheless. 

Also, for the first time in a long while, he went to meet Baekhyun and Sehun his college friends. And when it came to Baekhyun and Sehun, Suzy knew it meant fun, clubbing, and drinks. Although she never made an effort to know his friends, she had heard of them even before she got married to Chanyeol. Those two were notorious for that among their social circle. 

But Chanyeol was a different story. He had quit that life ever since they got married. So why again now?

Suzy squeezed her eyes shut. Great! Now I'm thinking about Chanyeol! She huffed then glared at Lay.

Not realizing the glare he was given, Lay continued, "I think we're both worried of him going out with those two again, huh?"

Suzy raised her brows and crossed her arms. "We?" She sneered. "I don't." She tore her gaze away from him when she saw the corners of his lips curling up.

There was silence afterwards, but Suzy knew it wasn't going to last long.

"You know...," he started again and Suzy rolled her eyes. "He cares about you. I know he's like a control freak sometimes-" Suzy scoffed loudly at that and Lay laughed "- okay. Most of the time! But he's holding back so much when it comes to you. And that is driving him nuts!"

"I've seen him got drunk before, but never like yesterday." He shifted the gears and glanced at her. "Think you know who caused that?" He gave her a teasing smile.

Suzy clicked her tongue and closed her eyes. "I'm going to sleep. So, do stop talking." 

"You may be annoyed by how controlling he is, but if you haven't noticed," he talked again causing Suzy to hold back a groan, "I think you actually have him wrapped around your fingers." He chortled. "He would do anything for you, you know?" He paused before he finally said, "Alright, I'll stop talking."

Suzy sighed in content when he did. Finally! Some peace for herself. Belatedly, she processed his nonsense talk that became less nonsense each passing seconds when she thought about it.

That's it! Her eyes flew open when the lightbulb lighted up in her head. She glanced at Lay and held back a growing grin before closing her eyes again. Lay had given her an idea.

The heart is weak indeed.