Color Up

Spades & Hearts

Color Up [poker term]: Exchanging smaller chips for higher valued chips, this can happen when there are a lot of chips and blinds have grown to where smaller chips slow a game down because of all the counting


 

Chanyeol's jaw tightened as he narrowed his eyes on his friend. 

"Lay-"

"You're hurting her, Yeol." For the first time, Lay sounded stern; it surprised the other two.

Chanyeol's eyes grew a little wider finally realizing the grimace on Suzy's face. The moment his grip on her wrist loosened, Lay released his. Gently holding her now, he spoke calmer, "I just want to talk."

Suzy scowled, wondering if he was that worried of her being jealous. He was just wasting his time if he did. Because she wasn't jealous at all!

"And I just want to be left alone." 

When Suzy was going to pull her hand away, Chanyeol momentarily gripped tighter but eventually let her wrist go with a sigh. "Fine."

"Cho Hyejung!" Suzy called her personal assistant who was trying hard to make herself small. Hesitantly, Hyejung made her way to them with head hanging low. "You called her here, didn't you?" Suzy asked her husband and didn't wait for him to answer. "Then, give her a ride home," she told him casually.

Lay scratched his head, looking back and forth between the couple.

Hyejung bit down her lip. "I-I can go alone-"

"Make sure she arrived home safely, alright?" Suzy kept her eyes on Chanyeol.

Chanyeol held back a groan. "Suzy-" 

"She's my personal assistant, so if anything happen to her, I won't let it slide. Got it?"

"Director Bae..." 

Suzy only glanced briefly at her PA before turning around to walk back to the counter.

"I didn't mean to talk back at you earlier." Lay bobbed his head in apology to his friend and Chanyeol pursed his lips while nodding. "Don't worry about Suzy. I'll take her home. I won't let her stay here too long."

Chanyeol only nodded again and Lay excused himself to follow Suzy.


"She's not even jealous," Chanyeol mumbled to himself as he watched Hyejung bow and wave a goodbye.

As the car pulled away from her house's driveway, Chanyeol closed his eyes and leaned back his head on the headrest.

"Are you going to the usual club, Sir?" His chauffeur asked.

"No. Go straight home."

There was no point in going to the club to avoid Suzy anymore. He thought she would miss him. He thought she would at least ask where he had been for coming home late. He thought she would finally appreciate his presence even a little. But nothing changed. She didn't even seem to be jealous seeing him and Hyejung together. She was unaffected. It even seemed like she enjoyed the days he had been avoiding her.

After drinking for a bit more at his own bar, Chanyeol went up to the bedroom. Changed into his sleepwear, he sat on the edge of the bed waiting for Suzy to come home. They still needed to talk.

And what was with LayHe frowned then tousled his hair in frustration. He shook his head to drive away the unwanted thoughts about his own friend. He trusted Lay and he believed that his friend was just trying to protect his wife just as told.

The door clicked open prompting Chanyeol to lift his head. Their eyes met, and for once, Suzy didn't roll her eyes though she definitely looked annoyed. She closed the door and walked past him like he wasn't there, going directly to the bathroom.

"We have to talk," Chanyeol insisted once Suzy was changed and out of the bathroom sitting at her vanity table.

"Can we not?" She opened a facial product and applied the cream on her face. "I'm tired."

Standing behind his seated wife, he clenched his jaws to hold back a groan. "Why are you like this?"

Suzy raised an eyebrow and looked at him through the mirror. "Like what?"

"This!" He pointed a hand at her. "Ignoring me, acting as if nothing happened!"

Suzy laughed dryly. "And when have I never ignored you?" Her question penetrated his heart. "What actually happened anyway?" She her seat to face him. "If this is about you and Hyejung-" she stood up and sidestepped him heading for the bed "-I thought you guys were just college buddies hanging out. Unless there's something more between you two." Looking over her shoulder, she gave him a smirk.

Chanyeol sauntered to her while she sat down on the edge of her side of the bed. "It would be better if there was something more though," Suzy mumbled while she adjusted her pillows. "If this is about you coming home late," she spoke to him again, "then don't worry. I won't nag you. We agreed to live our own lives with no emotional attachment, remember?" One of her brows quirked up.

The agreement they made at the start of their marriage was something Chanyeol had come to loathe now. If only he knew he would come to want her and her heart this much, he wouldn't have made the deal. Why couldn't she look at him just for once? Although, maybe Suzy wouldn't even be his wife if they didn't strike the deal.

He scowled then suddenly stooped down placing his hands on the bed on both sides of her, trapping her seated self between his arms. Their faces were almost a breath away, but she didn't budge and only stared back at him expressionlessly.

"Doesn't this make your heart flutter?" He asked out of the blue.

Suzy didn't miss a beat to scoff. "Is that what it does to you?" She smugly retorted. "I'm tired. I want to rest-" She was going to push him away, but Chanyeol brought her down by her shoulders, pinning her on the bed.

Her lips parted in surprise; her hair fanned out on the bed. Hovering over her, Chanyeol gulped. He wanted to show her that he was in control, but the sight of her below him made him feel overpowered by her instead. Even with the frown on her face.

"What are you doing?" She asked with a scowl; it irritated him. She should be at least a little flustered, but she wasn't.

He briefly tightened his jaws. "We agreed to exclude any emotional attachments." He leaned down closer as he continued, "But we didn't say anything about omitting our rights as husband and wife, did we?" Not letting his gaze stray away from her eyes, he reminded, "Whether you like it or not, you belong to me, Bae Suzy!"

Silence fell after he said that. They only stared at each other- Suzy with her glare while Chanyeol with determination in his eyes. No words were exchanged but their soft breaths against each other's face. Though her gaze was coldly piercing him, Chanyeol found himself drawn to her with each passing seconds. And she looked even more beautiful to him from up here. He wondered if it were just the effect of alcohol.

All of a sudden, Suzy rolled them over landing her on top of him. Chanyeol took a sharp breath in surprise. Gripping on his shoulders to hold him down, she straddled and stared down at him. Chanyeol held his breath as he looked up at Suzy whose hair cascaded to one side; its ends lightly tickled his face.

"Park Chanyeol," his name came out of her lips making his heartbeat race.

He was supposed to be the one in control, but he couldn't even control himself. He didn't even get the chance to curse at himself because she suddenly leaned down. The brief tug of a corner of her lips didn't escape Chanyeol's notice. Her lips grazed his ear; his heart skipped a beat. 

She whispered to his ear, "You reek of alcohol." Then, she rolled off him and get off the bed.

"I'm gonna sleep downstairs," Suzy announced nonchalantly and went out of the bedroom before Chanyeol could even process what just happened.
 

Suzy scoffed to the side when she closed the door behind her. "Did he think he can control me? Is he crazy?" She her chest with a sigh. "That shock me." Rolling her eyes and shaking her head, she proceeded to descend the stairs. "Oh?" She spotted Lay just when she landed at the foot of the stairs. "You're still up?"

"I was just going to get a water." He smiled. "Just finished briefing the new bodyguards."

"Ah," she replied disinterestedly.

Some time during the week, Chanyeol decided to hire some bodyguards at home even though Lay had moved in the mansion. Suzy couldn't understand what went through her husband's mind for doing so. They're not even politicians or important people who needed to be protected 24/7. Or did he receive some threats again from her past kidnapper?

"Why are you down here?" Lay asked then looked up the stairs as if he could see the door to the main bedroom. "Arguing with Chanyeol again?" His eyes found hers.

Suzy rolled her eyes. "Your friend is out of his mind."

Lay chuckled. "Only for you."

"Whatever." She ignored and walked past him; but after a few steps, she stopped and looked back at Lay. "Why didn't you comply with Chanyeol's request back at the club?"

Lay playfully smirked. "You're welcome!"

Suzy knitted her brows at his reply. "I was asking you, not thanking you!"

"Sure." He smiled then turned to walk the other way. "Good night!" He waved a hand; his back on her.

Suzy scoffed loudly. "They're both crazy!"


Chanyeol woke up with a throb in his head. He didn't even get drunk, but staying up all night after what happened did him no good. Or maybe he was drunk. Drunk enough to do what he did to Suzy last night.

What happened to taking it slow, idiotHe scolded himself.

Glancing at the clock on the wall, he realized it was almost lunch time. Luckily, it was Saturday. Grabbing his phone, he got up then trudged down to the dining room. He asked one of his maids for a glass of water and some soup. His head was still throbbing, but when he asked where his wife was and was told she was out with Lay, the pain instantly went away.

"What?" He glared at his maid who flinched.

Uneasiness settled in his heart prompting him to ball his hands into fists. He believed Lay was't that kind of person, but why did it
seem like Suzy enjoy his company more and more each day? Hyejung's question last night rang in his mind. Should he trust Lay with his own wife?

Just then, his phone pinged with a new message.

Lay [11.46]: are you up? Suzy's with me. 

The friend sent him a location

Lay [11.47]: come here and talk with her. I know you both need it.

All his initial suspicions went away and he smiled. He knew he could trust Lay.
 

"Why did you take me here?" Suzy asked as she lazily propped an elbow on the table and leaned her head on her hand.

The bakery with only a few tables, mostly for two, was quite peaceful. Only two customers aside from them were present. This was actually the kind of atmosphere Suzy was fond of.

"Because you like it here." Lay smiled a smile that grew wider when he saw her eyes get a little wider. He was right, he knew.

Her scowl returned a second later and she scoffed. "You're acting like you know everything about me."

"I don't know everything." He smiled then sipped his coffee. "I just know you like this bakery when you brought me here last time. Aren't you glad you can meet your friend?" He tipped his head toward a shorter guy behind the bakery counter.

Suzy looked over her shoulder and couldn't hold back a small smile. The said guy waved his hand and his heart-shaped lips curled into a smile when he belatedly noticed her staring at him. Kyungsoo was the name. He was one of the very few people in her life Suzy genuinely appreciated. She looked away and forked some of her muffin cake; the small smile lingered.

Remembering Lay was in front of her, however, she cleared wiping off the smile. "Whatever." Digging into her muffin again, she glanced at him who was typing on his phone. "By the way, what did you say your real name again?"

Lay looked up from his phone. "Zhang Yixing." He softly smiled.

"That sounds like a Chinese name."

"I am Chinese by blood." He chuckled. "But I was born and raised here. So I'm a Korean by heart," he proudly said causing Suzy to roll her eyes then added, "I still love China very much though." He smiled to himself. "My grandparents are there."

"Didn't ask," Suzy mumbled unheard by Lay. "Yixing, huh?" She glanced at him. "I'll call you that from now on."

Yixing raised his brows and blinked his droopy eyes. "Why?"

"Because that's your real name," she stated matter-of-factly.

"So we're friends?"

Suzy scowled. "Don't get ahead of yourself."

He only smiled. A ping from his phone distract him from her. Suzy wondered whom he had been texting.

"You know..." Yixing put his phone aside. "Telling Chanyeol how you actually feel-"

"Think," Suzy corrected.

"Alright. Think." Yixing shook his head amused. "Telling him what you think about the whole situation won't do you any harm." 

"It's useless, still."

A lopsided smile grazed his lips. "I'm just trying to help you here. You may not think feelings are important, but you shouldn't underestimate Chanyeol's feelings for you. You'll be surprised of how strong the heart is." 

Suzy frowned at what he said.

Heart. This person always believes in its strength. But to her, what he said made it sound like the heart really is weak enough to make a person toughtlessly do things for someone it wants.

The bell jiggled when the door to the bakery was opened, and Yixing craned his neck then grinned. He raised and waved a hand. "Chanyeol!"

Suzy's eyes were immediately widened. She her seat and- to her disappointment- saw her husband walking towards their table. Whipping her head to Yixing, she glared though the guy didn't even noticed.

"Hey," Chanyeol softly greeted clasping a hand with Yixing.

Suzy bit down her tongue and closed her eyes to hold back a groan. Yixing stood up and gave his seat to Chanyeol before asking his permission to have the day off. Suzy gave him a glare, but she knew he was purposely ignoring her, speaking only to Chanyeol. When Chanyeol gave him the permission and he bid goodbye, Suzy couldn't hold back her annoyance anymore.

"Yixing," she called him in a warning tone.

Yixing stopped in his steps and finally turned to her with a smile. "Remember what I said." He gave her a wink to which she scoffed and then bid goodbye.

Suzy curled her hands into fists taking a deep breath. She gave Chanyeol a side glance. She should've known Yixing was planning this from the start. Now, she didn't have a choice but to be with Chanyeol unless she wanted to go home by public transportation. And why did they have to wear matching plain white shirts. She hated how it made them look like a couple. 

Kyungsoo was already staring at her with a questioning look. Suzy just rolled her eyes and turned to her husband. "What do you actually want?" She finally asked Chanyeol whose hand was fidgeting and rubbing his nape.

"I just..." He sighed. "I want to apologize."

"For what?" Suzy forked another piece of her muffin. 

"For how I acted last night. I-I didn't mean to take advantage of you or anything. I swear!" Chanyeol bit down his lip as he lowered his gaze. "I was just... a little drunk."

Suzy rolled her eyes. "Tell me about it," she muttered. "Okay. Apology accepted," she replied nonchalantly. "Is that all?"

There was a pause before Chanyeol slowly shook his head. "We really need to talk, Su."

"Then talk." She waved the fork in her hand gesturing for him to go on.

"Not here."

Suzy sighed. "Fine. Where?"

 

Honestly, Chanyeol was surprised and a little irked at the fact that Suzy was calling Lay by his real name earlier. On top of that, she seemed displeased to see his friend leave them earlier. Chanyeol wondered if they had really got that close. But at least, Suzy complied to his request right now. 

Overlooking the mountainous view of the city behind the Hanyang wall, the stone wall runs a long way beside them who were silently walking. Suzy was a few steps ahead of Chanyeol and he could see a ghost of her smile every time she glanced at the view. So this was the kind of things she liked, Chanyeol noted. After a long while of silently walking, Suzy suddenly came to a halt. 

She heaved a breath as she threw her head back. "How far are we going to walk until you talk?" She turned around crossing her arms and narrowed her eyes at him.

Chanyeol softly smiled and ascended the stairs stopping only two steps below her. He turned his attention to the breathtaking view. "My parents used to bring me and my brother here back then," he recalled.

"Didn't ask you that." Suzy clicked her tongue and turned away ascending the stairs again.

Lowering his head, Chanyeol momentarily pursed his lips. "Why do you hate me so much?"

Suzy stopped again. He stared at her unturned back, wondering what was going through her mind that made her seem so hesitant to answer. A little hope that she actually didn't hate him sparked, but he tried not to entertain the thought.

"Hate?" She breathily chuckled then finally turned to him. "Hate, huh? Well... In short, you ruin my plan."

"Plan?" Chanyeol furrowed his brows. "What plan?"

The purse of her lips told him that she was reluctant to answer. Maybe because this would be the first time she would open up to him. Even if it was anger that might spill out, a part of him anticipated it. To him, that would be better than not knowing what's in her head at all.

"You're taking away what's mine! What's my mom's!" She revealed giving him more confusion. "You're just like my father!"

"What are you talking about?" He approached her and stood on the same level with her. "What do you mean I'm like your father?"

"That company was my mom's! And the position you're going to take was supposed to be mine!" She glared up at him and gritted her teeth. "Do you actually think I agreed to marry you just for the sake of following my father's request?" She raised a brow and smugly smirked.

Chanyeol, on the other hand, could only stared back with rounded eyes. Realization that the marriage was nothing more than a deal she made with her father dawned on him. He was just a card she used to achieve her goal. Nothing more. He was never anything to her. 

An invisible hand clenched his heart.

The thoughts boiled his blood, but somehow, despite the pain, he couldn't push away his fond of her. He just wanted her more now than before.

Suzy turned from him to walk away, but Chanyeol gently gripped on her wrist. "If I give up the position, will you finally look at me?"

"Tsk. Good luck with that!"

Before she could pull her wrist away, he tugged her towards him and enveloped her in his arms. He was expecting her to push him away or wriggled free, but surprisingly she didn't. She didn't even resist and stayed silent in his embrace. Something about it made Chanyeol want to look at her face, but he was scared too at the same time. Scared that if he pushed her away even a bit, she would step away from his embrace.

"I will do anything for you, Su. Why can't you lean on me just for a bit?" His eyes dropped to a close below his furrowed brows when he smelled the floral scent of her shampoo lingering on her hair. He never held her this close. He never held her at all. He wished his senses could just take in everything about her.

"You will?" She asked and he could already imagine the roll of her eyes.

"I will!" He repeated with determination. "Because... I love yo-"

Suzy heaved a breath. "Chanyeol, we agreed-"

"To not have emotional attachment. I know, I know!" He raised his voice but hugged her tighter. "But I can't lie that I love you, Suzy," he whispered.

There was a pause from her before she said, "Hyejung can love you better-"

"But you're the one I want!"

"Even if I don't want you?"

His heart was pricked yet again. "I'll make you want me," he told her. "I'll prove to you that I'm serious about you."

To his disappointment, Suzy eased herself from him and leered. "Like I said-" she patted his shoulder "- Good luck with that!"


Her life had turned into a series of bets. All to take her father down. 

She knew it was another bet when she followed Yixing's suggestion to open up to Chanyeol. But her strategy chips was getting weaker. She couldn't win against her father with her stubbornness to do it all alone. Her logical way of doing things was starting to slow her down. So, she took the risk and opened up to Chanyeol. It seemed possible that what Yixing suggested would work. She had even successfully lured Chanyeol promise to do something for her even though she acted like she didn't care. Yixing's suggestion didn't turn out so bad after all.

Yet two days had passed and nothing changed. In fact, Chanyeol had come to officially work in the company. Suzy felt stupid for believing in his words.

Love?

Suzy scoffed. What a crap!

And today, her father just had to call her to his office, adding fuel to the fire inside her. He might just want to brag to her how he was winning. How she was losing everything. How everything she wanted slipped away from her hands. The thought alone frustrated her. 

When she entered his office, she had already expected to see the smug smirk on his face she inherited. What she didn't expect was Chanyeol there sitting on the sofa across the one her father was sitting on. The sight of him irritated her even more, but a part of her told her she wasn't called here to congratulate him on becoming the President.

"What is this? A family gathering?" She asked sarcastically, taking a seat beside her husband who kept on staring ahead.

Her father let out a distasteful chuckle. "No. This is business meeting." Suzy quirked a brow while CEO Bae continued, "Silverline has been a well-known brand for beauty products and fashion line. Now, I'm planning to launch a brand for jewelries."

"So? Why am I here?"

A slight scowl crossed her father's face before he answered, "I've been convinced-" he briefly glanced at Chanyeol "- that a female may understand more of this line of business."

Suzy frowned as she gave her husband a side glance. She had an inkling that this- whatever they were going to discuss- had something to do with what they talked about two days ago.

"I want you to work on this project too."

Suzy's eyes snapped back to her father. "Too?" She scoffed. "I'm sorry, CEO. But I'm not interested in working together with the President. I've got a lot on my plate. So, no thanks."

Her father instantly laughed. "Who said anything about working together?"

The furrow of her brows deepened.

"Chanyeol is not the President yet."

Suzy's eyes widened. The news sounded like a fraud to her ears.

"I want you both to work on the launching project separately."

"What?" Suzy glanced at Chanyeol again.

"Am I pricking your interest now?" Her father chuckled again. "The one who can come up with the best marketing strategy will be chosen as the President. So Director Bae-" Her father crossed his leg over the other and leaned back comfortably on the sofa "- will you take up on the challenge?"


Phew! That's one long chapter, isn't it? :) Here's to the Chanzy shipper! And btw I changed Hyejung's surname from Kim to Cho just because. Haha. Anyway, see you on the next chapter, aces!