Road to a 'Maybe'

STIGMA

 

Two days pass..

Two weeks pass..

There's no sign of Taehyung. Y/N sighs. Guess she was waiting for him. 

She was wondering how to thank him, but he never really showed up. 

It was the last day before finals and the library was surprisingly full. Y/N was obviously there, along with her friends. Jongin and his gang was present too. But for the first time, he and his gang didn't harrass them. Everybody was completely focused on studying. 

It was about 10 pm now. Time for Y/N to leave but just when she was about to leave, Taehyung arrived. And unknowingly, she sat back and thought, "Well, at least mom didn't call till now."

He and his friends sat on the only spot available and silently took out their books, earning some scoffs, esp from Jongin. "Is this the first time you opened your book, Taehyung?," the librarian asked. Everybody started laughing but also stopped right after a second, as they noticed Taehyung's demeanor heating up. Jongin, though, laughed so much, you bet he would fall.

"That goes to you too, Jongin. Now stop laughing and start studying," the librarian says sternly. At this, Taehyung smirks as Jongin rubs the back of his neck, obviously embarassed.

Y/N, on the other hand, notices Taehyung's every move, contemplating whether to talk to him or not. Finally, she just decides to give up and study instead.

"Look, Y/N's hero arrived," Sooyeon pokes her and the others start giggling.

"Hero? More like a villian!," Jisoo scoffs. 

"Just a quick reality check, he saved y'all too," Y/N replies. 

"Umm did you just defend him?," Jisoo gasps, followed by the others doing the same.

"NO! Just continue studying, will you?"

Jisoo rolls her eyes. Others try to stiffle their giggle and they eventually continue studying.

 

An hour passes by and Y/N feels her phone vibrate inside her bag. She pulls it out to realise that its her mom, probably annoyed to death, calling her.

"Hello" she mutters in a low voice.  "Where are you?! We are worried about you. Its almost past midnight!! "

"Mom please, it's hardly even 11. "

"So what? You can just come home and study! "

"Ya mom! Just a few more pages and I'll come," Y/N sighs and hangs up.

"How come your mom is so strict? We were planning to do a sleepover."

"No no my mom will murder me, I need to leave urgently, " she says as she packs her backpack and bids them goodbye. 

 

 

As she walks her bicycle up the hill, she notices a familiar figure ahead of her. She decides to walk close as she gets a bit scared of the strange vibes that the air was producing.

The familiar figure suddenly stops after noticing the footsteps from behind.

To her surprise, the man ahead of her was non other than Taehyung. "But when did he even get out of the library?," she wonders.

"Are you following me?," Taehyung asks in suspicion. "Why is it that we always meet on creepy roads?," he asks to himself.

"What? No! I'm going home. My mom called me. She's pretty angry. Otherwise I wouldn't have eve-"

"Shush! I didn't even ask for the clarification," he rolls his eyes and walks ahead.

"What the hell?," she thinks to herself. "And I actually considered thanking a jerk like him!"

And there they were. Taehyung ahead. Y/N behind. Walking on the same road but acted like they never even noticed each other.

Taehyung digs his hands into his pocket as the wind blows. The weather starts getting colder. 

"At least I'm wearing a jacket."

He silently thanks his sister for choosing a jacket out for him. 

He suddenly turns his head around only to see that "the nerdhead" was freezing. "Who told her to wear a dress anyway." He scoffs.

He scoffs but he stays there, waiting for her to get ahead.

Y/N notices that and immediately feels awkward.

"What?," she asks in defence.

"You stay near Gwangji road, right?," he asks.

Y/N was completely taken a back. Why would he ask that? Why is he suddenly concerned now? 

She squints her eye in suspicion but answers anyway.

"Yes. Why?," she asks again

"Cool. Drop me ahead of that lane. My home is nearby."

"WHAT THE HELL? And here I thought he would accompany me till home. What an insensitive bastard!," she screams out loud... In her head. 

He reaches out to her bike, just like the last time and hops on the seat, without wasting much time.

"Sit," he orders.

"My bike. My seat. Who is he the one to sit on it without even asking and now ordering me around? She was obviously furious and finally decides on taking her thank you back. But her conscious seems to fight.

"Come on! Stop being a hypocrite! You should show him that it doesn't kill to say thank you"

After about a thorough 1 minute conflict with herself, she finally decides on saying thank you.

"What's the big deal anyway?"

"Ahem," she coughs to get attention.

"So.. Thank you.. for the other day"

"What?," he asks in an oblivious state.

It was quick to get her embarassed. Expecting something from Taehyung was like expecting a rock to sing. It was THAT hard.

"I'm talking about the other day when you helped me and my friends get away from that monster Jongin," Y/N explains.

At that, Taehyung laughs hard for about half a minute straight.

"Whut?," Y/N mutters to herself. 

Somehow, she feels a little more comfortable. 

Maybe he's finally warming up (?)

"He definitely is a monster!," he replies

"Wait what? Didn't he pay attention to my thank you?,"

She asks herself.

"Umm yes. And also, I said thank you. You know, unlike other people in this area," it was her turn to be arrogant now.

"What do you mean?," Taehyung asks with a blank look on his face. "Oh.. You still remember that day? God you really are good at keeping grudges, huh?," he says as he realises her sarcasm.

She rolls her eyes as a reply.

"Well.. If you come to think of it, I saved myself. Yo-Your bicycle helped me not you," he smirks.

"Oh god are you really that childish?"

"What the ?," he says in irritation. This girl was definitely exceeding his stereotype of a geek girl.

She was shocked at his sudden rage but this time, she didn't give up.

"You should really learn how to say thank you. It won't make you smaller."

"Why are you so adament on nagging me all the time? Argh!," he says as he suddenly pulls the break in annoyance. 

 

At the sudden break, Taehyung's body presses against Y/N. The sudden close proximity leads to her cheeks to turn red like a tomato. She looks down immediately. An awkward silence howers over the two of them.

Taehyung notices the level of UNcomfortness and decides to change the topic. 

"Ar-Are you prepared for tomorrow?" He asks as he continues paddling.

She remains silent for a while but later nods as realisation strikes her.  "Just need some revision," she says in a low voice, almost inaudible. 

"Wh-What about you?"

He smirks, "No wonder you belong to the nerdheads group. I just need to make chits and hide it inside my shirt"

Y/N gasps. Not like she didn't expect that from a person like him but the confession somehow makes her furious.

"But that's cheating!"

"Doesn't really matter to me"

Again, a belt of silence. But before it could even get awkward, Taehyung stops the bicycle, this time more carefully.

"My home's here. Bye."

That was it. No sorry. No thank you. That was now an unspoken rule between them.

She sighs as she sees him walking away to a distance and adjusts herself in the front seat, ready to paddle away and NOT THINK ABOUT THE JERK.

 

AUTHORS NOTE:

We're so sorry for the late update. Blame it on our exams. But thankfully, our vacations have started and we will try to post as much as we can.

Thank you for reading. Please do share your views on this chapter.