When You Just Can't Take Another Step

Orbiting Bodies
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: First, I drabbled for the Japanese fanmeet on 170514 when Kai told Soo "You've changed." I didn't explicitly state it's from this universe, but it fits right in if you want to imagine it as following the last ch. If you didn't already catch it on Twitter or Tumblr, it's posted here: https://at1stsoo.tumblr.com/post/160667359278/youve-changed-a-kaisoo-drabble

Okay, back to July 2016!

When You Just Can’t Take Another Step

(After Orb Bodies Ch 3; Date: July 23, 2016)

 

EXO'RDIUM CONCERT - SEOUL DAY 2

 

Jongin feels it the moment he lands. His ankle. Ow, something’s not right. . .

 

The loud backbeat of Drop That fades out from his senses as sharp pain floods them instead, quickly overtaking his ability to hear or even see straight. He can’t black out on stage, he just can’t. Scanning the area rapidly, Jongin limps over to the nearest set of steps he can find. Luckily, there’s a staff member who noticed and is there to help carry him backstage.

 

The next few hours are a blur, as Jongin is carted to an emergency center and various healthcare professionals poke and prod his leg while he grimaces from the searing torment. Now, he’s alone in a patient room on a stiff, cheap mattress with harsh fluorescent lights beating down on him. While awaiting judgment, he passes his own, internally cursing. He should’ve been more careful. He's already had to sit out so much this year - he's not pulling his weight in the group. Why does this keep happening – why does his body betray him so often? In the middle of a concert, just the second ing concert of their NEW TOUR, no less. How long will he be out this time?

 

Amidst the barrage of angry thoughts swirling in his mind, he hears a knock on the door and sighs.

 

“Still not up to eating, thank you,” he tries dismissing. He covers his face with the back of his hand as another wave of pain radiates from his ankle. The door handle clicks open anyway.

 

“For the last time, I said I’m NOT HUNGRY.” If that damn nurse doesn’t stop trying to push food on him, Jongin’s not sure what might fly out of his mouth next. He turns to glare at the intruder.

 

It’s Kyungsoo who quietly slips inside and closes the door behind him.

 

They share a long, silent look. Kyungsoo’s face is full of concern, with stage makeup still on and his short black fringe glistening. He’s a sweaty mess, but dressed in a fresh black t-shirt and jeans.

 

Jongin feels his eyes well with the tears he’s been fighting off. He looks away from his hyung first, turning his head to stare at the opposite wall, not wanting Kyungsoo to see him cry.

 

“I came as soon as I could.”

 

He gives a small wave of his hand in recognition and to reassure Kyungsoo that he understands. After a tight swallow, Jongin asks, “how was the concert?”

 

“I don’t know. I wasn’t exactly… there.” There’s the sound of soft footsteps and then a gentle hand on Jongin’s shoulder. “I was worried about you.”

 

He still can’t turn and look at his boyfriend, but he fills him in while letting his eyes dance over the wavy patterns in the cheap wallpaper. “They took x-rays. Waiting to hear if the ankle’s broken.”

 

A hand lightly along his inner arm, up and down in a rhythmic pattern. Kyungsoo’s rich voice lets out a quiet, “I’m sorry, Jongin.”

 

He gives a small nod of acknowledgement and closes his eyes around the tears that now flow, trickling down his cheek and onto the sterile pillow. Kyungsoo understands that there’s nothing else to say. No promises of “it’ll be okay” or “cheer up” or other such nonsense that the hospital staff tried to offer. There’s no demand for Jongin to look at him or talk about it. His boyfriend just pulls up a chair and sits beside him, silently keeping him company in his misery.

 

The doctor, accompanied by Jaehyuk, returns a few minutes later with “good news.” It’s “only” a ligament tear, no broken bones. No surgery required to repair it. He’s prescribed lots of rest and slow rehab, across several months, to prevent a recurrence. The doctor seems pleased with his prognosis and is slightly confused by the somber atmosphere that still permeates the room.

 

Months. Months. Jongin zones out as the word echos through his head. They’re supposed to do a repackage on the album soon, and they’ve only just started Exo’rdium. This s everything up. He’s ed everything up.

 

After a few tense seconds with no response from him, Kyungsoo speaks up. “Ah, thank you, uisa seonsaengnim,” the elder stands and bows at the doctor. Jaehyuk also thanks him for his services and escorts him out of the room, telling the couple that he’ll settle the bill and come back.

 

Once the manager leaves, silence takes over the room again. Kyungsoo clears his throat. “Well, it’s good that it’s not—”

 

“Don’t.” Jongin cuts him off. He turns to meet his eyes, mouth pressed into a flat line. “Don’t try to make me see a bright side.” Jongin’s breathing is picking up pace, from frustration or despair he’s not sure. The distress inside is boiling like molten lava and ready to erupt at any random target to release the pressure. He curls his nails into his own palm, trying to get a grip on something, anything.

 

Kyungsoo frowns and drops his gaze to the floor, sighing. “Okay. I don’t want to fight.”

 

“And I do?” he snaps back. It’s not fair, he knows. He’s being a brat, and Kyungsoo looks understandably annoyed. But the elder defuses the situation by not responding to the provocation, simply taking a step back and leaning against the wall with crossed arms. They wait for Jaehyuk to return.

 

When the manager comes back, it’s with a wheelchair.

 

“No. I’m not using that.”

 

“Jongin,” Kyungsoo tries, “don’t be stubborn about this. You need to be careful with—”

 

“You know what they’ll say!” Jongin sits up with his outburst. The plea in his voice is loud and clear as he looks at Kyungsoo with tear-filled eyes. All the nasty comments from paparazzi and netizens back in April still sting, accusing him of faking his injury and using the wheelchair for sympathy after the scandal with Krystal broke. He'd been prepared for backlash to him 'dating' Krystal. He hadn't expected everyone, even EXO fans, to question his work ethic and sincerity in his love for performing. And now... it's going to happen again. 'Faker!' He chokes back a sob as another shockwave of all-too-real pain shoots up his leg.

 

Kyungsoo’s expression softens. He squats down so their faces are only a few centimeters apart and takes Jongin’s hands in his. “It doesn’t matter what they say. What matters is that you don’t get further injured, that when you’re movi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter