1/6

Is it like the ocean?

                                                                                          Amber, I like you. I love you.

                                                                                           How deep is your love, Lau?

 

                                                                                                             20%

 

The day of Amber’s birthday. Nothing special. She’s having it at Coreanos.

 

5pm.

Doorbell rings.

 

She hasn’t even started getting ready yet.

 “Goldfish forgot what time to pick me up. Typical goldfish”, she mumbles.

“Amy why are you he-”

He smiles as soon as he lays eyes on her.

“Happy birthday!” he announces and pulls her in for a hug. It’s a tight one but she doesn’t mind. He holds her for a bit longer than usual.

“Come in Lau.” she says, curling her hands into fists unlocking herself from his embrace.

“What are you doing here?”

“Don’t close the door..I have a surprise for you.”

She sees him picking up the curvy instrument that he seemed to have hidden on the side.

“No you didn’t!”

“Yes, I did!”

She carefully steps into her living room carrying the object like a newborn. Henry follows her.

She begins to unwrap her present, her face overflowing with enthusiasm.

“This is the one!” she exclaims, hugging her new guitar. She twirls it around slowly, examining all the little details.

“But wait..Isn’t this your guitar?”

He bits his lip, grinning.

“You’re giving me your own guitar?”

“You said you loved it so much.” he replies.

“But I thought you said you would buy me a new one, come on, you don’t have to give me y-”

“It’s yours Liu. It’s all yours.”, he interrupts, locking eyes with her.

She blinks a couple of times. Their expressions match.

 “Thank you.” she quietly says.

“Is that all?” he asks.

“What else”?

He puffs his left cheek at her, waiting.

She laughs and offers her hand to him instead. He reluctantly takes it, but makes sure to intertwine their fingers together.

She walks him to the front door. “See you tonight, Lau.”

He still holds her hand. She starts to let go, but he uses both of his hands to hold onto her.

He rocks their hands together for a second or two, before he slowly starts drawing her closer to him. Eyes focused on hers, searching for her reaction.

“Go away!” she laughs, shoving him outside.

“Ok, ok” he says, both of his hands in the air.

She giggles and waits for him to leave her sight.

Door closes.

(Sighs.)

Her hands cover her face, half-hiding her smile.