One

Love me now or never [Prologue]

Jimin pulled closed his bedroom door, rubbing his eyes free of sleep as he made his way to the bathroom. It was a rough night trying to sleep with all the stupid thoughts in his head running wild. He was never much of an over thinker before things became so complicated. Sleep always came pretty easy, so lacking it was a brand new experience.

Cool water felt good on his hands after he finished releasing his bladder. He splashed some on his face to wake himself up a little. Jimin's eyes were still adjusting to the bright lights lining the top of the mirror, but he peered at his own reflection. His black hair was a mess, sticking out in every possible direction. His eye bags were serious, they needed special aid ASAP. His face wasn't much better, puffy from last night. Crying yourself to sleep ruins your face. What a horror show.

A few sequenced taps on the bathroom door made him jump. After a couple seconds to gather his thoughts and breath deeply to slow his quickened heartbeat, Jimin reached for the doorknob. He realized a little too late that he'd be facing Jungkook on the other side of that door. 

Jungkook nodded at him, barely looking him in the eye. His gaze centered at the ground. He pressed his shoulder into the door frame and made more than enough space for Jimin to pass him without any chance of grazing against one another. Jimin nodded back, not even sure if Jungkook caught it or not, and passed him in the door way. He heard it shut behind him and he halted for a moment in front of it.

It was the first time He'd seen Jungkook in over a day and a half. Jimin couldn't help wondering if Jungkook ever ate, or showered, or even left the house. He didn't smell any overwhelming odors as he passed the latter, so he must be figuring something out.

Jimin sighed heavily as he shuffled toward the small kitchen. His stomach was screaming at him already. Pancakes. He'd make some pancakes.

---

Too many days passing by without any resolve was driving Jimin insane. He'd given up on chasing after Jungkook. He tried making himself not care, but that was just making everything worse. But Jungkook didn't care. If anything at all, Jimin saw him even less. He was like a hermit in his room, never showing his face for anything. He didn't really have to.

Jimin regretted so much helping Jungkook sign up to take college classes online. He thought he was helping his friend, but it turned out he was helping a betrayer.

He wanted to believe that Jungkook didn't betray him, but each day that passed by without a word, without a show of face, just made it seem worse and worse. Jimin's patience was dwindling. He was fuming.

A knock sounded at the front door. Jimin let his head fall back and he groaned rolling his eyes. Company. The last thing his resentful heart could ever wish for right now. "Go away." He whispered under his breath but made his way to open it anyway. He wasn't heartless, just completely bent out of shape. Jimin twisted the doorknob, pulling the door back to reveal NamJoon and SeokJin standing over the threshold. SeokJin smiled pleasantly at him before realizing his sour mood. The grin fell into a compassionate pout and the elder reached his hand out to place it on Jimin's shoulder.

"Rough day?" He wasn't really asking a question, he already knew.

Jimin nodded, huffing out a large cloud of hot air that'd been harboring inside of him. "Yeah. Just a rough day." He threw back at Jin sarcastically, a nasty tone of voice biting back at the end of his sentence. He knew his oldest friend was the kindest of them all, and all he was showing was his support, but Jimin was so far past the point of being brought down. He was strung out, heated. Things were not getting better and they were not okay. Jin had a way about trying to keep things calm and civilized. Today wasn't going to be a calm and civilized day.

An angry faced blonde appeared behind the two still standing in the door way. Yoongi grumbled about being left behind at the car as he pushed passed NamJoon and SeokJin. He shot a half smile in Jimin's direction and bee-lined to the couch to throw himself down in it. It was a hot day outside and Yoongi didn't take well to uncomfortable temperatures. "Is your air on? I'm melting."

Jimin rolled his eyes, crossing his arms across his chest and he began to make it back to the kitchen. His stomach was still screaming to be fed and the pancake batter had been left on the counter already prepared. He didn't bother to answer the question, because of course it was. Summer heat was something he would never willingly mess with, cool air was pumping through his vents.

NamJoon followed close behind him. "Hobi should be here soon. He said he was studying." He informed. Jimin nodded and mumbled a quiet, "Of course", to himself. Hoseok was always busy, mostly with dance practice. He always turned up late so it was no surprise. It'd be a surprise if he actually showed up with the others.

They reached the kitchen and the taller of the two swung open the refrigerator door like he owned the place. NamJoon smiled brightly and grabbed a lonesome can of orange soda, cracking it open before asking if he could.

"I'm making pancakes, you want any?" Jimin quirked an eyebrow at NamJoon, watching the other down a can of soda like he would die without it. The can popped as the taller took it from his lips and he nodded vigorously.

"Of course."

"Go ask the other two if they want any." Jimin shooed him to go. "Come back and tell me and then leave me be." He hated when anybody hovered over him while he did anything. Especially cooking, because his confidence in the field just wasn't very high. He waved his hand again for NamJoon to go before the boy finally got the message and headed back towards the exit. He stopped just before leaving and crinkled his eyebrows together.

"What about Jungkook?" NamJoon whispered.

Jimin looked down at the floor, away from NamJoon's stare. He hadn't forgotten about asking Jungkook. He always thought about Jungkook, first even, but he already knew the answer anyway. What was the point of asking. "No," Jimin whispered back. "Don't ask Jungkook."

NamJoon pursed his lips and hesitated there for a moment, but he nodded and decided to follow Jimin's wishes. He'd been the one that wanted Jimin to let Jungkook go. He would so annoyed, frustrated hearing Jungkook's name always mentioned when he wasn't even there. It wasn't jealousy, but more so a protective nature. He could see how hurt Jimin was becoming, day by day being ignored by a person that he'd thought was his friend. He knew Jimin was in love with Jungkook, but NamJoon also knew how little of a chance Jimin had with having his feeling returned. Now, with how cold towards the elusive man trapped in room Jimin had become, he began regretting how negatively he'd acted towards the man himself. NamJoon sighed and left the kitchen.

He came back a moment later with an affirmative answer from both Yoongi and SeokJin. "Jin wanted to help you make the pancakes of course. I told him not to bother you with it right now. Sorry, you know how he is."

Jimin scoffed. "He is better than me, but thank you. I just don't feel like the criticism right now."

"I figured." NamJoon patted his back for a couple moments. "Cheer up, Chim."

Jimin pulled away from the comforting touches. He turned to stare NamJoon in the eyes, his expression twisted in a disbelieving frown. "Cheer up?" He mocked the elders words. "How am I supposed to cheer up? Explain it to me."

NamJoon heaved another heavy sigh, pulling back away from his friend and giving him plenty of space to vent it out. Of course he'd say something stupid and end up hurting Jimin even more. How could he think it was a good thing to say, 'cheer up'? It wasn't the first time he poked the bear, the bear being Jimin at this point.

"Do you think that how I feel is a joke? If I really tried I could just get over it? Get over the fact that every single day I wake up and know that there's a person in the room beside mine. Somebody that USED to be my friend is in there, but it feels like I live in this house alone." Jimin draws in a sharp breath, he can feel his throat begin to tighten with emotions running wild. "How can you just tell me to cheer up? You should understand how I feel. I talk to you the most about it, don't I? I told you how I feel about him, didn't I?"

NamJoon watches the floor, feeling guilty for causing Jimin's stress level to sky rocket. He could see the blood reaching Jimin's face, painting it red.

Jimin rubbed at his eyes, trying hard to push back pent up tears from falling. "You don't know how happy I was, just to see him every day. Just to sit next to him every day. To watch TV, or talk, or cook together. And it all just stopped. He stopped everything and I don't know what I did wrong. What did I do wrong?"

NamJoon took it as a personal question. "You didn't do anything wrong."

"But I did. I must have." The black haired boy snapped back. "Jungkook hates me, and this is over. Even our friendship. It's all just over."

The taller shook his head. "Jimin, I know you're hurt, but-"

"No." Jimin cut him off, wiping the stupid tears that managed to escape off of his bright red cheeks. "No, there's nothing anymore. I'm going to tell him to leave."