Be Mine Instead pt.2

Songs About You

SONG: Standing Egg - Confession (고백)

 

 

Wheein was walking with Hyejin in the university grounds as their classes had just ended. And ever since they met this morning, all she does is curse her best friend for not being around yesterday.

“Sorry, I was lured by Hyeryung unni to skip classes yesterday.” Hyejin reasoned out. “Anyway, what happened yesterday? You’ve been cursing me about being not around yesterday since I greeted you this morning. Like, I even brought you an apology cup of coffee and a cupcake??”

“FCK U AHN HYEJIN! I TRIED CALLING YOU ALL DAY” Wheein swears at her again and Hyejin doesn’t seem to be bothered by it. “beech I know you love me but I didn’t know you would miss me this much?”

“NO I MET SUNBAE YESTERDAY” Wheein cries out as she let herself fall on the bench. Hyejin raised an eyebrow. “Sunbae? Which sunbae? Was it Jaehyun sunbae? Did he ask you to do his work again?” She asked as she takes a seat beside Wheein.

“No.” Wheein shakes her head. “Moonbyul sunbae from high school.” She pouts and kind of blushes.

Hyejin’s eyes widened as she hears the name. “Say that again? I think I heard you wrong?” Wheein huffs and hits Hyejin lightly continuously. “You heard me!”

Hyejin shields herself from Wheein’s hits, trying to calm the girl down. “gurrrl calm thyself” Wheein hits her one more time before sitting back down properly. “Anyway, you know who.”

Hyejin lets a little smirk escape her face as she knew who exactly Wheein was referring to. “Right, so how did it go? How’d you two meet? Did you score a date with her?”

Wheein glared at Hyejin for those questions but she chooses to let anger go, that’s not the issue anyway. She takes a deep breath then finally speaks. “So, yesterday at the bus stop…” She starts to spill every detail on what happened yesterday while Hyejin started to resemble those bubble head things with her continuous nodding to whatever Wheein says, accompanied with “uhuh” “go on” *gasp* “yasss” “no way!”

“So” Hyejin starts, as Wheein tries to catch her breath after speaking nonstop for who knows how long has it been. “that meal could be your chance to snatch her.” Hyejin continues. Wheein gives her a look before raising her hand, ready to hit her, before her phone vibrates. She has received a messaged.

“Hold that thought.” Wheein stops midway with her attempt to hit Hyejin again to grab her phone which was in her pocket. Hyejin scoots closer to her, “Who is it?” And they both looked at the screen to read the message.

 

From: Moonbyul Sunbae

Wheeinie! Are you at school? ɾ⚈▿⚈ɹ

 

Wheein’s eyes widened, while Hyejin had a mix of a surprised and impressed expression on. “Reply. Now.” She eggs Wheein on and Wheein was just about to when her phone vibrated again.

 

From: Moonbyul Sunbae

Nevermind~ I think see youuuu

 

Again.

 

From: Moonbyul Sunbae

who is reading my msgs with u <(^´)> these msgs are only for wheeinie’s eyes!

– heol – a surprised expression

And, yes, again.

 

From: Moonbyul Sunbae

Approaching!! ᄏᄏᄏ

 

And as if Wheein’s eyes couldn’t open any wider than it had earlier, it did. She looks at Hyejin in panic. “what do I do oh god”

Hyejin studies her for a few seconds then nods with her lips pursed. “You don’t look bad. Don’t worry, pupwhee~” She assures Wheein.

“Like…that’s not even what I meant??”

Hyejin shrugs and stands up. “Doesn’t matter, no escaping anyway. She knows where we are and is approaching already. You better-” She stopped when she realized that a person, whom she assumes is Moonbyul, is only a few steps away. Truthfully, she’s never met Moonbyul before as she only met Wheein in college. But she knows of the people around Wheein during high school because Wheein has told her all about it.

“Hi” Moonbyul greets Hyejin then looks at Wheein who was standing up. “Hey wheeinie, I was right. It was you, with a friend”

Hyejin just smiles and studies Moonbyul as this is the first time she’s meeting the person. Height is good, Wheein would look extra cute beside her. Style is A-okay, just how wheein likes ‘em. She’s beautiful too. Hmmm yes. Has a very cool aura too. hmm

Wheein bows. “Annyeonghaseyo Sunbae.” Moonbyul just nods. “Ahh, this is my friend, Ahn Hyejin.” Wheein elbows Hyejin. “Hyejin-ah, this is my sunbae from high school, Moon Byulyi.”

“Ah” Hyejin bows as well. “Annyeonghaseyo, Ahn Hyejin at your service.” Moonbyul laughs at the remark. “Hello hello~”

“So, do you guys still have classes?” Moonbyul asks.

Hyejin looks at Wheein and quickly answers. “I..still have one. I’m actually close to being late now because Wheein here was asking me to skip it to spend time with her as I was absent yesterday.”

Wheein raised both of her eyebrows and looked at Hyejin. “I-“

“Wheein-ah, since your sunbae is here maybe I can attend my class now, ye?” Hyejin smiles at her and looks at Moonbyul.

“Oh, yeah. Totally.” Moonbyul nods. “I’ll keep her company. You go run to your class now, your professor might not accept you.”

Hyejin widely smiles and pushes Wheein closer to Moonbyul. “That’s great! Thank you, Moonbyul…uhh unni! I’d love to stay and chat but I guess that can wait for next time when we’re all free?”

Wheein is now just too baffled to even think of what to say amidst of this conversation. Moonbyul smiles. “Yeah, it was nice meeting you though, Hyejin-ssi. Next time for sure, yea?”

Hyejin nods. “Well, I’ll take my leave now.” She looks at Wheein and sneaks a wink at her. “Wheein-ah, I’ll call you later, okay?” Then she takes a run for it.

“She seems nice.” Moonbyul comments about Hyejin and all Wheein is doing is cursing Hyejin in her mind.

 

you facken beech I trusted you. You’re dead to me now, ahn hyejin.

 

And the two walks away while somewhere in the bushes, a wild strawberry jam grins. Guurl u better do it rite

 

 

They’re walking around the campus now, heading to the main gate, they've agreed to go to a mall and just catch up at a café there or something , whatever they feel like when they get there.

They were just passing the quadrangle when Moonbyul suddenly stiffened while walking and was avoiding to look at a certain direction. Wheein notices and looks over that direction realizes the reason why her sunbae was like that. Krystal and some friends were hanging out there and Krystal was looking at them.

“Don’t look at them.” Moonbyul suddenly says and grabs Wheein’s hand, tugging her along to match her pace. “I said don’t look

Wheein shakes herself in mind and looks at Moonbyul. “Sorry sunbae, I forgot you two fought.”

Moonbyul shrugs. “It’s okay. Now, come on, I just had an idea what we can do.” She looks at Wheein and winks.

 

 

 

 

 

“Ar…cades?” Wheein’s left eye twitched. She had expected maybe a movie or going out for a meal (one that her sunbae did say she owes her one), yes. But not the arcades.

“Yep.” Moonbyul answers, back from the counter with a bunch of tokens. “Do you not like arcades? It’s…fun”

Wheein looks at her sunbae wide-eyed, her two hands waving in front of her in panic. “Oh no sunbae, that’s not what I meant!” Wheein gulps. “Just that I don’t really go here…”

Moonbyul smiles and grabs Wheein’s hand, dragging her behind. “Let’s play air hockey!

And that was just the start, turns out, Wheein’s an Air Hockey genius! She beat Moonbyul the first time and since Moonbyul couldn’t accept it, they played again and again. The score was 5-2, in favor of Wheein, of course.

Embarrassed, Moonbyul gives up and suggests that they try the claw machine. The one arcade game she’s sure she’s mastered.

“Waaaah~ That plushy is so cute. Sunbae, get that for me. Please please please pleasee~??” Wheein squeals, jumping up and down while pointing to the said plushy. “Sunbaeeee?”

Moonbyul giggles at how Wheein is acting and so, she agrees. “Yeah, okay. I’ll try, okay?” Moonbyul stands in front of the machine and inserts a token. “Let’s see…”

Wheein’s anticipating her plushy. “A little more to the right. Left! Forward-aaahhh too much, sunbae! too much! Go bacckkkk” and Moonbyul can’t do anything but smile. She’s just playing with Wheein though, she’s confident she can get the plushy but it more fun when Wheein’s coaching her, so she intentionally didn’t get the plushy at one try.

“Ahhhh bad luck, Wheeinie. Sorry~” Moonbyul says, looking at Wheein, who was now sulking.

Moonbyul turns around and chuckles, so Wheein won’t see. “I’ll try one more time, okay?” But Wheein doesn’t say anything and just comes closer to Moonbyul to watch her, this time, she is quiet.

This time, Moonbyul swiftly gets the plushy and was about to hand it to the overly excited pupwhee. “YASSSS THANK YOU SUNBAE OMYGOD IT’S SO CUTE!!” Wheein was already reaching for it but Moonbyul suddenly draws it back. “You have to pay it for it though.”

Wheein is surprised. “Waah?” And Moonbyul nods. “Yep, not with money though.”

Wheein tilts her head to the side. “Eh? With what then?” And to Moonbyul, she’s just the cutest thing-person in the world. “You could pay me with more of your time.” Moonbyul smiles.

Wheein’s forehead creases.

“What do you say? Are you buying it?” Moonbyul shakes the plushy in front of Wheein.

Wheein sneakily grabs it and turns around to keep it away from Moonbyul. “Hey-“

“Sunbae, if you wanted me to spend more time with you, you could just ask and not bribe me with a plushy.”

Moonbyul laughs. “Yeah, I know.”

“But it’s more fun this way.” Moonbyul adds. “Anyway. You’ve already purchased it, okay? I’m not taking ‘no’ for an answer.”

Wheein blushes and just nods. She doesn’t know how to respond to that anyway. And she does want to spend time with her sunbae.

 

 

 

 

“unni.” Wheein repeats for the nth time tonight. It’s been a few weeks and Wheein has upgraded from calling Moonbyul just her sunbae to her unni now. They’ve spent a lot of time together, going to movies, or studying in the library, going to and from school together, and eating meals together. Sometimes Hyejin joins them too.

Moonbyul unni.” Wheein calls the knocked out Moonbyul on the table for who knows how many times already tonight. But Moonbyul remained undisturbed from her slumber and Wheein curses under her breath.

She was about to go home already for the day when she received a call, via Moonbyul’s number, to pick the owner up. Moonbyul’s drunk again.

She sighs and sits beside the drunk girl and looks at how much of a mess the drunk girl is. She’s drunk about four bottles of soju all by herself and by the looks of it, she didn’t even eat anything. Wheein frowns. Why did she drink out of the blue

“Ah, is it you? The one I spoke with in the phone?” An ajussi suddenly appeared, making Wheein sitting up properly. “annyeonghaseyo ajussi”

The ajussi nodded and handed her Moonbyul’s phone. “I confiscated her phone, I think she was calling someone and was making a mess.” Wheein receives it from the guy. “I just called whoever’s number I saw first in the contacts, I’m glad it was answered.” Wheein just nods. first?

“Well, you can just go and get her home. Don’t worry about the bill, she’s my regular, anyway!” Ajussi informs her. “Ah ye ajussi, will do. I’d like to say sorry in her behalf…” The ajussi smiles at her and nods. “Well, I’’ll leave you to take care of her then.” Then the ajussi leaves them alone.

Wheein flushes herself back on the chair, glancing over Moonbyul. I just called whoever’s number I saw first in the contacts… Wheein’s eyebrows furrowed. what did ajussi mean by that

Wheein hesitates to open Moonbyul’s phone, it was wrong in so many levels anyways. Invading the privacy of someone who’s knocked out drunk? That’s a no-no. But something’s pushing Wheein to do it anyways, so she double taps the screen and one message is on display in the lock screen.

 

Ddoojungie [+82 1330 8498]

Will you stop now?

 

Wheein’s eyes widened. she was calling krystal. Damn I forgot they’re still together.

Just then, Moonbyul begins to stir up awake. “mmmm is that my wheeinie? howd u iwashere?” Moonbyul sits up, facing Wheein while smiling. Wheein immediately puts Moonbyul’s phone in her pocket.

Why do I have to deal with her whenever she drinks because of krystal unni

Wheein had a straight face on and she doesn’t know why either. She wasn’t mad, nor was she unhappy to see Moonbyul. She just feels lost and taken aback, somehow. All these past weeks, Moonbyul has never mentioned anything about Krystal, and now here she is, drunk calling her. Or was, since it already happened.

What am I even thinking, they just fought. they didn’t breakup, right? It’s normal that Moonbyul unni calls her. Damnit Wheein.

“are u mad at me wheeinie?” Moonbyul pouts, then she hiccups. “No, I’m not. Let’s get you home, sunbae.” Wheein says while standing up.

Moonbyul smiles and gods she looks so out of it. “okay!” she jumps up in excitement. “lets go hoooomme~” She says, putting an arm around Wheein.

Wheein wanted to remove Moonbyul’s arm around her, but she couldn’t because she knows the drunk girl won’t be able to walk properly if she does.

They walk out of the restaurant bar, Wheein doing her best being Moonbyul’s crotches.

“I’m calling a taxi so you could get home faster.” Wheein says, when they stop at a bus stop. They were near their university, they could take a bus but Wheein would rather not risk it. Who knows, Moonbyul might suddenly puke on someone and she doesn’t want to have to deal with that too.

“arent u coming homewithme?” Moonbyul asks.

“I am.”

“then y did u say to take a taxi so I could get homefastur?” Wheein just shrugs and phones a taxi. They say nothing to each other while waiting and during the ride home. Moonbyul starts to sober up little by little and wonders why Wheein’s so quiet around her. While Wheein is busy thinking about what the hell is she feeling right now. She just can’t put her finger on it.

Like, she just literally saw Krystal’s message basically telling her to stop calling and she should’ve expected it anyway. But no, she just had to feel all weird inside and ignore Moonbyul.

They were now walking, Wheein leading the way towards Moonbyul’s apartment, still both not talking.

“Wheein-ah, are you mad? Did I say something when I was drunk a while ago?” Moonbyul decides to break the ice. Wheein shakes her head.

“Then why aren’t you talking to me?”

“Sunbae.” Wheein stops walking and faces Moonbyul.

Moonbyul stops too and looks at her, confused. “That, too. You’re calling me ‘sunbae’ again. I thought we’ve gone passed that stage?”

Wheein fishes out Moonbyul’s phone from her pocket and hands it to the owner. Moonbyul raises an eyebrow at it at first but takes it anyway, then she unlocks it. oh

“Wheein, I-“

“It doesn’t matter, sunbae.” Wheein cuts her off. “I’m just acting weird, don’t worry about it much.”

Moonbyul blinks. “You saw her message, didn’t you?” Wheein bites her tongue. “You also know I tried calling her, right?” Wheein doesn’t respond.

“Wheein, if you’re mad, I’m sorry and it’s not what you think. This is nothing to be jealous of.”

Wheein looks at her confused.  jealous? Was she feeling jealous? She was?

Moonbyul steps closer to her, showing her phone screen. “Look.” And Wheein just does what she’s told. It was Moonbyul’s and Krystal conversation thread.

 

“why are you calling”

          “can we talk”

“about”

          “why did you break up with me”

 

Wheein’s eyebrows creased at that. they broke up?? krystal unni broke up with her?

 

“byul I think you know the answer to that already”

          “…”

          “ ”

          “what’s wheein got to do with us?”

“tsk”

“how could be so stupid, byul-ah?”

“didn’t u date me in the first place bc I reminded u of wheein?

“I broke up with you bc I know I can’t compete with such”

          “krys..”

“even if I was already your girlfriend, I just knew and felt that Wheein is something much more than I could ever be”

“you’ve been pretending not to know and honestly, it pains me.”

          “jung soojung”

“I let you go so you could be with her.”

“Don’t worry, I understand, okay? Just be happy.”

“so…”

Will you stop now?

 

Will you stop now? Wheein blinks twice. That’s the message I saw…

Moonbyul pulls her phone back. “Do you understand now or do I have to say it?”

Wheein doesn’t know what to say. ’s suddenly dry.

“Wheein-ah.” Moonbyul softly calls her name, while getting rid of the distance between them. Wheein panics and looks elsewhere. “Wheein” Moonbyul calls her again, her tone firmer that before, her right hand holding Wheein’s chin, making her look up to her.

Wheein gulps. “S..sunbae, I-”

She was cut off by a kiss, and her eyes are wide. Moonbyul’s kissing her. It’s happening. After all those years of fantasizing about it.

IT. IS. HAPPENING.

Moonbyul was about to place her left hand at Wheein’s nape but Wheein suddenly pushed her. “UNNIE YOU REEK OF ALCOHOL”

Moonbyul laughs and pulls Wheein in by her waist for a hug. “Then can I do that again when I don’t smell like alcohol anymore?” Wheein’s face is red as a tomatoe. Moonbyul raises both her eyebrows, “well?” She asks, with much hope.

“Y-yes, you can..”

 

 

--- END ---

 

 

 

omygod yas i finished this yaaaaaaaas<3