Be Mine Instead pt.1

Songs About You

SONG: Standing Egg - Confession (고백)

 

Wheein felt something hit her shoulder, it wasn’t that strong but it was enough for her to wake up from her nap. She immediately woke up and realize the weight on her right shoulder. She gulped and slowly turned her head to who it was. Turns out that it was just her sunbae, Moonbyul, who had fallen asleep as well during the bus ride.

“Ahh, right…” Wheein said to herself. “I forgot I’m with her…”

Wheein was waiting by the bus stop that morning when Moonbyul caught her. They went to the same high school but weren’t close. Wheein had always admired Moonbyul though, so she had tried getting her attention countless of times before. That’s why earlier today, Wheein didn’t know how to act when Moonbyul caught her.

 

Wheein was at the bus stop waiting for the bus while scanning through her phone when someone stood next to her. Normally, Wheein wouldn’t mind since it was a bus stop. However, this person kept looking at her which weirded her out. She tried not to get bothered by it until..

“Ahhh! You’re Jung Wheein, right?”

Wheein’s eyes widened but not due to being surprised that this person knew her, her eyes widened because she knew who it was.

“Oh, I’m right! You’re Wheeinie from Moojigae High School!”

Wheein shyly turned and bowed. “Oh, Byulyi sunbaenim. I didn’t expect to see you here. Do you…live around here?”

Moonbyul smiled at her and nodded. “Yup, I moved out of my parents’ house since entering uni.” Wheein nodded while mouthing an ‘o’.

“If my calculations are right, you’re a uni student now too, right? Which uni do you go to?”

“Ah, I’m attending at Chunho, sunbaenim.” Wheein answered shyly.

“oooh? I go there too! Are you headed there now?”

“Huh?” Wheein didn’t know what to say so she just nodded. She didn’t know she went to the same university as her long-time crush sunbae, Moon Byulyi. Because after Moonbyul graduated, Wheein vowed to forget about her so she never checked Moonbyul’s social networking sites profiles.

Moonbyul suddenly went close to her and put her arm over Wheein’s shoulder. “Great! Let’s go together then! I’m headed there too.” Wheein froze.

After all those years of trying to get her sunbae’s attention back in high school, here she is, in the arms of of beloved sunbae, waiting in a bus stop to go to uni together.

 

 

Moonbyul was seated beside her and too comfortably for someone who’s commuting. Her body has somehow sunk into the cushioned bus seat, making her able to lean on Wheein’s shoulder. Wheein smiled at the thought of how her sunbae looks cute and sat up properly and was about to reach for Moonbyul’s head to put it on her shoulder.

Just as she was about to, the bus pulled to a stop and Moonbyul woke up. “Huh?”

Wheein froze and drew her hand back.

Moonbyul looked around and immediately stood up. “Oh, it’s our stop. Come on!” She took Wheein’s hand and pulled her along to get off the bus.

Wheein’s eyes widened at the sight of their hands together. Am I…dreaming?

They entered the university and Moonbyul let go of Wheein’s hand already. “Wheein-ah, I didn’t get to ask earlier but what’s your major?” Moonbyul broke the silence that had been around since they got off the bus to now, walking into the university grounds.

“Oh, I’m taking up-“ Wheein was cut off by someone, a girl. A very pretty one.

“Who is this cute girl, babe?” The girl asked and walked beside Moonbyul while linking their arms.

“Oh, you’re here?” Moonbyul said to the girl and the girl smiled and nodded. “Say hi, she’s a hoobae from my high school, Jung Wheein.” She looked over to Wheein. “Wheein, meet my girlfriend, Jung Soojung.”

Wheein froze. Girlfriend. She has a girlfriend. GIRLFRIEND. SHE’S TAKEN NOW, WHEEIN. GET RID OF YOUR FEELINGS AGAIN, THIS INSTANT.

Soojung let go of Moonbyul and offered Wheein a handshake. “Nice to meet you, Wheein-ssi. Please just call me Krystal.” She smiled.

Wheein blinked. “Ahh, ye.” She bowed first. “I’m Jung Wheein.” Then she shook her hand.

The three of them continued walking. “Are you a freshman, Wheein-ssi?” Krystal asked.

“Y-yes.”

Krystal chuckled. “You’re so cute. Since you’re a freshman, I must be older than you then.”

Wheein panicked because she forgot about talking formally. She stopped and did a 90 degrees bow to Krystal. “Ah! I’m sorry, unni!”

Krystal smiled. Moonbyul laughed. “You’re so cute, Wheein-ah.”

Wheein stood up, eyes wide looking at Moonbyul. “Eh?”

Moonbyul smiled. “Soojung is just a year older than you. Don’t worry much.” Wheein looked at Krystal, who was nodding.

“That’s right, we can be friends. A year isn’t that much.” Krystal said.

Wheein blinked. “Then…I’m thankful.”

 

“Oi! Moonbyul! Krystal! Over here!” Someone called from the quadrangle.

The three of them turned to the voice. “Oh, it’s Amber.” Moonbyul said.

“Yeah, I told her we could eat breakfast all together. Since, I know both of you don’t eat at home before leaving for school.” Krystal said.

Moonbyul smiled at Krystal. “You know me so well, babe.” Then she pulled Krystal closer to her.

Krystal slapped her hands away before running towards the quadrangle, where Amber is. Krystal looked back to Moonbyul and sticked her tongue out. “Meeeeerong! :p”

Moonbyul shook her head and faced Wheein. “You wanna come with us?”

Wheein stood up straight. “Ah, it’s okay sunbaenim. I already ate.”

Moonbyul nodded. “Hm, okay then, see you around, Wheeinie~” She smiled then messed Wheein’s hair before running to where Krystal and Amber is.

 

Wheein stood there, confused about everything. “What was that?”

“I got to meet sunbae after all these years. She even put her hand over my shoulder at the bus stop and held my hand while walking.” Wheein’s eyes furrowed.

“But so what? She has a girlfriend!” Wheein whined and looked up the sky. “Yesunim, why are you like this?”

 

 

Later that night, Wheein was walking to her apartment tired from her last class.

“I hate this day…” Wheein mumbled. “Even if I got to meet sunbae again, she already has a girlfriend. Then I go to class to take the exam only to find out that the professor moved it to next week.” Wheein continued.

“Also, my best friend is nowhere to be seen. Ugh!!” Wheein stopped at her tracks and kicked her right foot forward.

“oh! is this my wheeinie?” A very familiar voice interrupted. ‘my wheeinie’???

Wheein slowly turned around to see Moonbyul behind her, looking weird. She was barely keeping her balance and her eyes looked tired but she was smiling at Wheein. “it is my wheeinie!”

Did she hear all that? Omg she can’t

Moonbyul pouted at her. “wheeinie is mad about something”

“S-sunbae!”

Moonbyul scrunched her nose and drew her hand towards her ear, motioning to Wheein that she was being loud. “sorry, wheeinie but can u lower ur voice my head hurts”

Wheein blinked. Is she…drunk

“i drank before coming home tonighthahaha” Moonbyul explained.

Wheein gasped. SHE IS DRUNK OMG

Moonbyul tried to take a step but slipped and fell.

“Omo! Sunbae!” Wheein ran to her. Moonbyul was still smiling and shooing Wheein away. “ah im okay wheein-ah just lost my balance hehe”

Wheein sighed and helped her up. Moonbyul let her.

“wheeinie is ur home also thisway?” Moonbyul asked, Wheein just nodded. She spotted a nearby convenience store and lead Moonbyul there.

“Sunbae, stay here for a while. I’ll buy something to sober you up…somehow.” Wheein said, after helping Moonbyul sit down outside the convenience store. Moonbyul just nodded and closed her eyes.

 

After a few minutes, Wheein comes out of the convenience store with cup noodles in her hands and two cans of coffee and in her pockets. She slowly made her way down the stairs and to the table where she left Moonbyul.

She put the cup noodles and the coffee down on the table and ran back inside the store to get the packed kimchi and pickled radish and the instant rice. After doing so, she went back to where Moonbyul is and sat with her.

Moonbyul was already sleeping so Wheein took the liberty to open the packed kimchi, pickled radish and instant rice before waking her sunbae up.

“Sunbae, here, eat some. I didn’t know what would sober you up so I just got whatever.” Wheein said, breaking the chopsticks into two and handed it to Moonbyul.

Moonbyul opened her eyes and saw food in front of her. “oooh thank u wheeinie i was getting hungry actually” She shook herself awake then she started eating, even if she was struggling a bit while using the chopsticks.

 

Moonbyul ate too fast and started to cough. Her left hand punding on her chest. Wheein quickly opened the can of coffee and gave it to Moonbyul.

Moonbyul forced to gulp the food inside first before drinking.

“Are you okay now, sunbae?” Wheein asked worriedly as Moonbyul set the can down. Moonbyul smiled at Wheein. “Feeling better actually.” Then she took some of the picked radish and ate it. Then she poured the rice into the instant noodles’ cup and mixed it together with the soup, then ate it.

“Wooh! Way to sober me up with ramyun, Wheeinie! How’d you know that was my go-to food when I’m drunk?” Moonbyul took the can of coffee again and drank, waiting for Wheein’s answer.

“Oh..I actually didn’t know. I just bought whatever? I’ve never drank, sunbae..” Wheein shyly answered.

Moonbyul raised an eyebrow. “You’ve never drank alcohol?”

Wheein pouted and shook her head.

Moonbyul smiled and patted her shoulder. “That’s good. Don’t drink.” It was Wheein’s turn to raise an eyebrow. “But sunbae, why did you drink?”

Moonbyul paused. “Oh. Um”

Wheein sensed that it must’ve been a personal question. “Ah, it’s okay sunbae! You don’t really have to answer.”

“No, it’s okay for me to tell you.” Moonbyul shook her head. “Soojung and I fought.”

Wheein froze. what is this whats happening

“It happened during our breakfast together with Amber actually, so I was bummed out all day and skipped my afternoon class to drink.”

Wheein’s eyes widened. “Eh?”

Moonbyul grinned. “My turn to ask! What were you mad about? I heard you a while ago. I just didn’t understand much. Hehe. Everything was kinda hazy. I’m actually surprised I managed to reach here.”

“Why were you calling me ‘my wheeinie’ a while ago? Am I some kind of pet?” Wheein dodged the question. No way was she going to tell her sunbae about that.

“Oh, that.” Moonbyul smiled from ear to ear. “Because you’re cute. Like a puppy. Even during high school, me and my friends used to call you that. Like, ‘hey byul your wheeinie is by the hall’ or ‘your wheeinie won this interschool art contest’ and the likes.” Moonbyul laughed. “Kind of just an old habit, but I won’t stop calling you that even if you tell me to.”

Wheein’s eyes widened. I shouldn’t have asked. This is embarrassing.

“Back then, you had a huge crush on me, right?” Moonbyul suddenly asked.

Wheein froze. She couldn’t look at Moonbyul. So she knew all along…

“That’s why we called you like that.” Moonbyul added.

Wheein hastily opened her can of coffee and drank from it. She slowly looked at Moonbyul who was just smiling at her.

Of course, you idiot. You used to give her chocolates and gifts all the time, dumb dumb!

“Can I borrow your phone?”

Wheein looked at her, confused. “My phone?” Moonbyul nodded. Wheein took her phone and gave it to her.

Moonbyul took it and tapped a few times on the screen, then she took her own phone out and waited until it rang. Afterwards, she gave Wheein back her phone and smiled. “That’s my number. Save it. I’ll save yours too.”

Wheein blinked.

“Thanks for the meal, Wheein-ah. I’ll treat you next time, ok?” Moonbyul stood up. “Let’s go, I’ll walk you home.”

 

--- To Be Continued ---

 

 

Yay finally HAHA hello guys~ missed me? loljk anw i hope you enjoy this, even if it's just part one. it's my first time writing a wheebyul fic hehe i hope i did good...