Chapter One: No Heart or Soul

As You Wish

This was a world filled with magic and mixed together with science. After the giant world war that took place against a few rival nations, everything soon went back to normal. Robots and other high tech machineries that were used as weapons, were now used more often in people’s daily lives for doing the household chores, tending shops, and what not. These robots had no heart or soul. But even so, they were very reliable, faithful, and hard working—never faltering and obeying their masters’ every command.

They also all came in every shape and size thinkable. Some were little robots that help sweep floors and clean the walls. Others were tall and lanky as they help people do things such as laundry and the dishes. However there were some who were made to resemble a human, having all the qualities of one from their anatomy to how they walked and talked. The sole difference was that they were heartless like every other piece of machinery created. And no matter what it looked like, their soulless bodies carry only cogs, oil, and inhuman materials. Humans mocked them, calling them shells for that was what they were, just an elaborate piece of moving metal.

<> 

Deep inside a very extravagant mansion, a young man was screaming from one of the many bathrooms. Footsteps were heard storming out before a loud groan followed after. However as he came out, the male was simply wearing only a long buttoned-down shirt that reached toward his mid-thigh. His pale face was overtaken by a frantic look that was etched on.

“God dammit! SHELL! SHEL-… N-NUMBER SIX!” He bellowed down the hallway and immediately a young man came rushing to aid him. His face was stoic, completely contrasting the one who summoned him. Paired with his simple yet formal attire, he appeared to be the young man’s butler.

“Master Youngjae, is there a problem?”

“Well, obviously!” Youngjae let out a scoff. Pointing to the bathtub, there was a small little robot floating in the water. Dark red oil was leaking out of it as it was squirming around, hopelessly shouting out complete nonsense.

“I was planning on taking a bath, but this is what I found!” Lifting the robot up and out of the water gently, Number Six looked at it with careful eyes.

“Oh… it’s Number Three. They must have malfunctioned again while cleaning the bathroom.” The butler’s voice deadpanned before he dried the machine clean.

“NO DUH!” Number Six turned his head towards Youngjae.

“Now, now Master Youngjae… making such a commotion while half- is not the type of behavior you should be displaying right now. Especially since you’ll be the heir to your father’s company very soon.”

“Yah… you really need a ‘shut up’ button Number Six.” Youngjae retorted as he fumed down the hallway.

“Clean this up right now! I’ll be waiting in my bedroom.” His command rang throughout the whole mansion it seemed before Number Six just nodded. He was still holding a squirming Number Three in his hands.

“Certainly, but what shall I do with Number Three?” Slowly, Youngjae turned as gave him a slight smile. His eyes radiated with a sense of gentleness.

“Just leave him in my study room. I’ll take a look at him later.” All Number Six could do was nod, a very faint smile appeared to emerge on his apathetic face.

<> 

Outside, the wind was blowing calmly as Number Six was gently tossing some sheets over the line so they could dry. Grabbing more pieces of clothing and blankets, Number Six continued to do the laundry until some maids came over with more baskets in their arms.

“Ah, Number Six. Did you go and order the gloves for Master Youngjae’s 18th birthday celebration?” All he did was give a simple hum as his answer before he continued to dry the laundry.

“Yes Hyosung, I have given a spare of Master Youngjae’s gloves to them so they can get the exact measurements just as you wished for.” The old maid smiled as she began to reminisce about the past.

“Thank you very much Number Six. And to think, that Master Youngjae will be an adult in a few days, ready to be assisting his father in the company… Oh, how I thought this day would never come in a long while. But, it has finally arrived… ah, I’m getting old.” She snickered to herself before turning to Number Six, beginning to let a tiny smile emerge on her tired face.

“I don’t think you know Number Six, you came here only four years ago.”

“No, I have no memory of that time.” He said. Hyosung and her assistant maid soon helped Number Six with the laundry as she kept telling him about the times when Youngjae was a young kid. There was a little twinkle in her eyes, recalling all the memories she could.

“He was a rebel I tell you. He never listened to anything his parents said to him. Even as a child he would discard all family matters and problems. Instead he would be playing with the robots and shells that would be broken. But being the smart child he is, he would always fix them like new.”

“Yes, well the Master Youngjae I know isn’t that much different.” Number Six answered bluntly.

“Ah, indeed. He hasn’t changed in the slightest just like you shells!” Hyosung and the maid were soon giggling while Number Six stood there with the usual blank look on his face, never reacting to something. However there was a slight rustling through the sheets that were blowing in the wind.

“Really, now… could you guys talk quieter when your master is here?” Youngjae said as he was leaning against a brick wall, annoyance was clearly shown in his tone of voice.

“AH! Master Youngjae!” The two maids bowed down deeply in respect towards him.

“Oh, you have all your clothes on. That’s go-” Suddenly Youngjae hand covered Number Six’s mouth.

“Be quiet…” He whispered, looking towards the inside of the mansion. There through the window was his parents frantically searching for him.

“Master Youngjae!”  A butler shouted as two others were running in and out of rooms in an attempt to find the young male.

“Oh my god that kid… we didn’t even go over all of the details with him.” His father was pacing around in exasperation. Lifting a hand to his head, he began to rub his temple to ease the increasing headache that was being caused by his son.

“It’s okay sweetie, he’ll hear about it eventually.” Youngjae’s mother said, comforting her distraught husband.

“Sometimes, I honestly don’t know what to do with that kid.” He said as the elderly couple walked away.

From outside, Number Six looked up at Youngjae who was staring intently at the window, making sure that his parents were out of sight.

“It appears that becoming 18 is much more than it seems, Master Youngjae.” Youngjae however just sneered.

“Just because I’m turning 18, my parents make it such a big deal. I mean all I’m doing is just turn another year older… why make it such a huge bothersome celebration?”  A sigh escaped his pursed lips before fully standing up.

“They just want to do something to make you happy.”

“You’ve never had parents before Number Six, so how are you supposed to know?” Number Six immediately looked away as Youngjae said that.

“…You’re right. I’m sorry for saying such a thing…” Soon Youngjae ruffled Number Six’s hair affectionately.

“Hey, it is fine Number Six. It’s just that… ugh, never mind.” Youngjae’s mind was somewhere else. His eyes were looking distance. Even so he went up to the maids who were still tending to the laundry and handed them a small box.

“Hm? What is this Master Youngjae?”  Hyosung asked, staring curiously at the box.

“It’s some sweets that the pastry chef gave me to eat. You guys should have it.” Youngjae said as he opened the box, revealing different delectable types of desserts. The maids looked at them all with almost their tongue falling out of their mouth—just eyeing all the fancy high class food.

“Are you sure we can have this Master Youngjae?” The other maid exclaimed as she stared intently at the box filled with pastries.

“Yeah it’s fine. Bye guys.” With that he left, heading back towards the mansion.

“Master Youngjae… after he turns 18 he will probably head out overseas to study more about his father’s company at the request of his grandfather. He may be arrogant and stubborn, but he’s very gentle towards us. Once he leaves it’ll be very lonely.” Hyosung slowly turned to face Number Six.

“He’s especially nice to you Number Six, he even let’s you talk to him informally at times. You’ll be lonely won’t you…?” She paused for a moment before talking once more, laughing quietly at her seemingly silly question.

“Oh that’s right, you have no emotions Number Six… so you’ll won’t feel lonely.” Number Six merely nodded at the statement made.

Yes, I am a Shell… I have no heart or soul. I can never have any feelings or emotions. As a Shell, I am only allowed to follow my master’s command. But, what if want him to stay? What if I want… him?