Chapter Two: What is this?

As You Wish

The rain pitter-pattered against the window as it created a rhythmic beating sound seeming like a gentle lullaby. Staring vacantly at the window, Number Six sat there looking at the droplets that fell quickly from the sky. Suddenly however, another butler came around the corner of the hallway muttering in displeasure.

“Argh… I have to go out and get ingredients for the head chef so he can prepare for Master Youngjae’s party. But, the rain just had to come now! …” Muttering to himself, the butler turned around and could see a dazed Number Six. An idea emerged in his head, smirking at the robot before him.

“Hey you, can you go and get me the ingredients… Shell?” The butler asked with irritation, clearly not in the mood to be questioned.

“I’m sorry but I have to go and prepare Master Youngjae’s clothes for the upcoming party.”

“Your duty as a Shell is to listen to humans. Is it not?” Venom was clearly laced in the butler’s voice.

“Not ‘humans’ but ‘my master’, and it takes awhile to go and pick out an outfit for Master Youngjae… he can be quite picky at times…” Number Six deadpanned.

“Saying something like that… do you not know what could happen to you once your ‘beloved’ Master Youngjae is sent overseas? Huh Shell? …You’re a disposable piece of .”  Enraged, the butler shoved Number Six out in the rain and threw the basket at his feet.

“It doesn’t ing matter if it’s raining or not. It doesn’t affect you, so go now and don’t come back until you have everything!” Right after, he slammed the door in Number Six’s face. Without even a flinch or an attempt to fight back, he grabbed the basket and then went down the street with nothing to protect him from the water that was falling from above.

As he was walking down the street, the rain continued and became even more intense. Eventually he was thoroughly soaked, his clothing was sticking to his skin. A little boy who was strolling by tugged on his mother’s sleeve.

“Mommy, why is that hyung not carrying an umbrella? He’s getting all wet!” His mother sighed as she dragged her son along.

“That boy is a Shell from some rich family sweetie, so it’s alright. He doesn’t need anything.” Completely ignoring the mother, Number Six continued down the sidewalk. That was until he could see a shadow looming over him.

“You’re getting really wet out here…” Turning around, he could see Himchan holding an umbrella for him. The two of them stayed still while other people simply maneuvered around the males.

“Ah, Himchan...”

“It seems that you’re a servant for the Yoo Family.” Himchan said so straightforward and to the point, staring at the Shell’s unique servant uniform. “So, that means that the gloves are for your master, correct?”

“Master Youngjae…” Number Six’s voice trailed off.

“Yes, I’ve heard about him. The very rebellious and strange heir to the Yoo fortune and company.” Number Six shook his head.

“Strange…? Master Youngjae is not strange at all. In fact, he is quite a gentle and caring master. However, he seems to be very unhappy these days, especially since he’ll be turning 18 soon.” Himchan looked on intently.

“And why is that?” He asked.

“Unlike us Shells, to be able to not worry or feel any kind of emotion is very difficult… if not, quite impossible. Also, Master Youngjae will be leaving soon to continue his studies.” There was a slight pause in the Shell’s voice. “But I wonder if there is anything I can do for him.” Number Six mumbled as the two continued walking. After stopping by the store to get all of the ingredients, Himchan escorted Number Six back to the mansion.

“I have noticed that you’re a very compassionate and kind-hearted butler.” Stopping for a second, Number Six gazed at Himchan and appeared almost as if he was stunned.

“Making sure that my Master is happy any way possible is my duty as a Shell. I do not need praising for things that are necessary for me to do.” Himchan merely smiled as they soon arrived at the Yoo Mansion.

“Ah, it seems that we have arrived.” Immediately, Number Six bowed with respect towards Himchan.

“Thank you very much for taking me back.”

“Not a problem. Anyway, the gloves that you’ve ordered are coming along quite nicely thanks to Junhong. You’ll have them by tomorrow.” And with a wave, he vanished seemingly into thin air. Waving back Number Six stopped for a few seconds at the front gates.

This is my first time talking to someone who isn’t from the mansion…’ Number Six whispered to himself. ‘Maybe, I spoke too much. But honestly, what can I do for Master Youngjae? As a Shell… maybe there’s nothing.’

<>

Helping Youngjae pack things up for overseas travels, Number Six came across two broken down robots. Hyosung immediately picked them up and placed them in front of the young master’s face to show them to Youngjae.

“Oh, I found Number One and Number Two. I thought they were thrown into the garbage.” Hyosung murmured as Youngjae was looking through the boxes filled with things that he might need during his trip.

“Wait, don’t touch those! I’m going to fix them once all the parts I ordered arrive.”

“But Master Youngjae, these pieces of garbage will take up way too much space in your suitcase.”

“Don’t throw them away!” Hyosung sighed as she placed them on the bed.

“Fine, I’ll put these valuable pieces of garbage here…”

“Hey! Don’t call them garbage Hyosung!” Youngjae said as he was glaring at the maid. However, he felt something brush the side of his hand. Slowly lifting it up, it turned out to be a tiny silver chest embezzled with barely noticeable sequences.

“Hmm, it’s seems I found something very nostalgic. Here Number Six, this is for you.” Walking over towards his master, Number Six looked down at the chest. Handing Number Six the box, it hid a necklace and dangling from it was a very intricate looking watch pendant.

“What is this Youngjae?”

“It’s something I made at school a while ago. Most of the guys gave it to their girlfriends. But dealing with relationships was something I found troublesome. However, you’ve worked hard so this is a reward for you.” Lifting it up to his face, Number Six began to gaze at it.

“Even though you are quite crafty Master Youngjae, will the long line of keeping your family’s company end with you who likes making necklaces and fixing robots?”

“Ouch Number Six, my ego.” Raising an eyebrow, Youngjae was about to put it in his pocket. “If you don’t want it then I’ll take it back.” A faint smile appeared on Number Six’s face.

“No, if it’s something that Master Youngjae wants me to have, I will gladly accept it.” However as Number Six was about to put it around his neck, somebody snatched it out of his hands. Looking up, he could see Youngjae’s father glaring at him as he chucked the necklace to the floor.

“Father!”

“Shells do not these accessories, so stop wasting your time on useless things Youngjae!” His father reprimanded as Youngjae turned away in irritation. But shortly after that pause, Youngjae’s father glowered at Number Six with a stern face.

“You as well, Number Six, being all ‘happy’ and what not. Do not think for a second that you can be on the same level as humans!” Number Six bowed his head seemingly apologetic.

“I will always remember that sir. “

“Tch, you heartless piece of metal...” He scoffed. Turning his head towards Hyosung, he immediately summoned her.

“We’re leaving now, go prepare the car.” Hyosung obeyed as the two of them left. Youngjae departed as well, stalking away towards his room. But without anyone looking, Number Six picked up the necklace and clutched it near where his heart’s supposed to be.

<> 

Soon night fell as Number Six ventured down the darkened hallway towards Youngjae’s room. The door was slightly opened as he peered inside. There, he could see Youngjae diligently working on Number Three who was broken a day or two ago, ever since that bathroom incident.

“Master Youngjae, are you still up?” Looking up from the broken robot, Youngjae turned to face Number Six.

“Yeah.” He replied.

“You should really get some rest or you’ll get a cold. Your parents will be very displeased if that were to happen, especially since tomorrow is the celebration.”

“Fine…” Youngjae grumbled as he returned his attention back towards Number Three.

“Alright then, I’ll go fetch you some of your favorite chamomile tea…” As he was about to leave, Youngjae spoke once more.

“Number Six.”

“Yes?”

“I’m going to talk to myself and you can’t listen.” Immediately Number Six understood what Youngjae meant as he stood there in the doorway.

“Okay, I will not.” Clenching the screwdriver he had tightly in his fist, Youngjae spoke once more.

“Actually… I don’t want to take over my father’s company. You see, when I was younger, my father and I passed through a town that had been devastated by the war. That’s when I met a young shell.” His voice drifted off as he recalled that moment. It was burned so vividly into his mind. Nevertheless, he returned to talking.

“The shell’s right arm had been complete destroyed as only the framework was left. He didn’t have any skin on that arm. And his stare… it was desperate and longing for something. As a young boy, I didn’t really know about shells that much and gave it a sandwich cause I thought it would be hungry. However my father slapped my hand away as the food dropped to the ground. He reminded me that shells were made to be weapons and that they felt no pain. Their only purpose when they were broken was to wait until their rotted away. But the shell’s mournful eyes are something that I will never forget.” After he completed his talk, Youngjae looked up towards Number Six.

“Are you really not capable of feeling any emotions? I don’t believe so…” Number Six looked on with a hollow stare as Youngjae shook his head before chuckling at himself.

“If my father were to see me now… he would say that I’m being very childish and irrational.” As Youngjae was screwing the last piece onto Number Three, it began to squirm around.

“Oh! It works again!” Looking on, Number Six couldn’t help but smile, however hidden from Youngjae’s sight.

“I may not be qualified to answer your question Youngjae, but from what I can tell, Number Three looks extremely happy.” His answer surprised Youngjae as he soon began to grin widely, stretching fully across his slightly tired face.

“You know what? I’ve been collecting all of these broken robots and shells, fixing them… my dream is to keep doing this, like create a hospital or something! I don’t know how long it’ll take me to make this happen but when the time comes, I hope you can join me Number Six!” Pure excitement and joy filled Youngjae’s face as he began to think about his dream. Once again, Number Six unexpectedly let out a tiny giggle.

“If it’s your wish Youngjae, I’ll gladly agree to it.” However Number Six was deep in thought.

Will I be forgiven for allowing myself to think that I can keep him with me? Maybe. But, when Youngjae’s dreams are fulfilled… all I ask is to be able to watch him from afar to keep his dreams alive.’