Chapter Thee: Realizing the Real Dream

As You Wish

Finally the day had arrived, Youngjae’s 18th birthday. All of the maids and butlers were scrambling around the mansion making sure that every last detail was perfect. Cooks were rushing in and out of the kitchen preparing food. Soon guests were flooding in. Watching from afar, Number Six was looking over at Youngjae who was talking to his father. However Hyosung came towards him as she handed him a tray.

“Number Six, can you please give out the appetizers…” Nodding, Number Six was about to take the tray to the guests when all of a sudden a loud howl was heard.

“WHAT?” Turning around, Number Six could see Youngjae adamantly fighting with his father. From behind the chaos, maids and butler were whispering to one another.

“Did you hear?” A butler said as he continued to whisper into Number Six’s ear.

“About what?” Number Six questioned.

“Master Youngjae isn’t coming back after he moves to another country.” Number Six’s eyes bugged out just slightly. He’s… not coming back?

“Yeah, his father even already arranged a marriage… fiancée and everything.” A maid interjected with her own comment. However, the fight between the two men continued.

“What the hell! Why did you not tell me, Father?” Youngjae shouted.

“For goodness sakes Youngjae, I did this for your benefit!” His father retorted.

“What do you mean MY benefit? You’re not the only one with dreams, I have dreams too you know!” Immediately Number Six recalled that night when he heard about Youngjae’s dream of fixing and helping out broken robots and shells. But within an instant, Youngjae’s father slapped him across the face.

“Do not be delusional Youngjae! Your destiny has already been chosen, it’s unchangeable!” Tears of pent up frustration were trickling down his face.

“You have always been like this Father! You NEVER listen to what anyone else has to say… you don’t even consider other people’s feelings!” Youngjae cried as he rushed towards his father. Number Six immediately dropped the tray he was holding and rushed towards Youngjae.

“Master Youngjae! Please stop it... get a grip on yourself!” Suddenly there was a slight creaking on the front door as two pairs of footsteps came closer.

“Um, excuse me.” Everyone turned around to notice two figures at the doorway. Immediately Number Six recognized them. There, Himchan and Junhong were as they were holding two boxes.

“The item you have requested has been finished.” Himchan explained. There was an awkward silence.

“Did we come at the wrong time? Anyway, we have the order for that young butler over there. Gloves that can stop all hopes and dreams.” Junhong exclaimed as he presented the little box to everyone.

“Junhong! I told you that all the items that customers buy are of secrecy.” Himchan whispered in a scolding tone.

“Whoops!” Junhong said flustered as he covered his mouth from saying anything further. A pair of gloves that can stop all dreams… Youngjae thought as he turned towards Number Six.

“Number Six what is the meaning of this?” Then it clicked in his head. Did he get them so my dreams will not…? A saddened and betrayed expression emerged on Youngjae’s face.

“…You too Number Six? You laugh at my dreams as well.” Number Six was shocked as he tried to explain himself to the other male.

“No, it’s not like that Master Youngjae! I understand…” Suddenly Youngjae shoved Number Six away in resentment.

“What do you understand?” Falling backwards, Number Six had collided into a pedestal holding expensive and decorated vases as he tumbled towards the floor. Loud crashing sounds were heard as glass flew everywhere. Looking down, Number Six was motionless on the floor and Youngjae finally realized what he had done.

“Oh god. Number Six, are you okay?” Youngjae asked as he helped Number Six up, liquid was dripping down his arm.

“Ah, it’s fine, none of the major mechanics have been harmed. It just scratched my outer layer.” He calmly said as he clutched his left arm. Next to Number Six was a little puddle of water from the broken vases. Slowly the liquid dripped down his arm fell into the water as the liquid sunk and dispersed. Youngjae was immediately in shock.

Oil from shells is supposed to float on top of the water.

“N-Number Six… what is the meaning of this?” Youngjae whispered. Number Six’s eyes widened as he bit his lip and in an instant he dashed out of the mansion.

“Wait! Number Six!” Youngjae shouted out to him, but Himchan placed his hand on Youngjae’s shoulder.

“It seems that there has been a big misunderstanding.” He said as he presented Youngjae with another box.

“You see this is the box that contains your gloves. Those gloves Junhong mentioned were for the young butler himself. However, what struck me odd as I was measuring his hands was that the right hand was mechanical. But, the left hand was tender and warm, that of a perfectly healthy young man.” Youngjae looked on with a stunned face, trying to head toward the door.

“Youngjae dear, where are you going? You are the star the party today!” His mother shouted.

“Please, Mother… wait.” But Youngjae was dragged deeper and deeper into the crowd. Soon the guests swarmed towards him making it practically impossible to get out.

“W-Wait a minute…” Youngjae called out to Himchan. But he just smiled and left with Junhong by his side.

<> 

Walking towards the outskirts of the city, Himchan and Junhong could see Number Six high up on a hill, looking over the entire city and the magnificent sunset. Stepping closer towards Number Six, Himchan presented the gloves to him.

“Are you sure that you want to continue with this?” He asked. Number Six nodded. Dangling around his neck was the necklace that Youngjae had given to him. Immediately he clutched it tightly.

“Yes.” A bittersweet smile appeared on Number Six’s face. “I have always wanted to see Youngjae become adult, and this is my chance. You know, I should have done this a long time ago.” Lifting the gloves up, he began to examine them.

“These are gloves that will indeed stop hopes and dreams. Once you put both of these on, you’ll really become a shell, a being with no feelings and no emotions. You’ll lose your soul too.”

“I know. But I’m willing to do this.” Number Six responded as he glanced down at the necklace. “If I can always be by his side, cheering him on… keeping his dreams alive and well, then it’s alright. Doing this, it’ll also keep my dreams alive.” A tear soon dripped down his face. “…Because if he’s gone, my dreams and hopes will be forever crushed and destroyed. All I can do is give my soul up and continue to work for that family.” Himchan nodded in response.

“Then if it’s like this, I shall approve of these gloves even more.” Turning towards Himchan, Number Six let out a true, genuine smile.

“Thank you Himchan-sshi.” This is it. No time to turn back. And once I get back to the mansion I got to clean up the mess I made. Even if my soul is gone… my love will never leave. I… love you Youngjae. He thought to himself. It would be the last time he’ll ever feel love. About to slip on the pair of gloves, a loud cry was heard.

“STOP NUMBER SIX!” Immediately Number Six flinched as he turned his head, Youngjae was there at the bottom of the hill, panting.

“Y-Youngjae… why…? …The party…” Number Six said shocked. Climbing up the hill, Youngjae was then face to face with Number Six.

“I should be asking you why. Why did you pretend to be a shell all of those years?” Closing his eyes, Number Six began to talk.

“Being a butler… Living amongst the upper class of society. That is something only person with nothing like me can do. You see my town had been bombed by the war. None of my family members survived, I was the only one. However that came at a price… I lost my arm. And with nothing left, I thought to myself… I was going to die alone and starving.” Number Six soon looked up to stare at Youngjae. A soft and beautiful smile appeared, tugging at his lips.

“But, then a young boy around my age came… seeing my condition he was scared at first but quickly gave me his sandwich. And to me, it was the kindest thing anyone had done for me back then.” Youngjae’s eyes widened. With a gasped, everything was clicking into place.

“You mean… that you’re the one I saw?” Number Six nodded.

“Indeed, you looked at my artificial arm frame and must have mistaken me for a shell.” There was slightly pause in his voice before Number Six continued on. “After that day I heard your name from a couple of older men and quickly applied to be a butler at your mansion. And as soon as I stepped into your room and saw you working so earnestly on those broken shells… I knew I had fallen. I knew you were the right one. I knew that this was the right place to be. And from that day onward, it didn’t matter to me if I had no soul, no feelings, or even a name… as long I could be by your side, it was ok.” Out of the blue, Youngjae grabbed the other and hugged him. A blush crept onto Number Six’s face.

“I didn’t give you that sandwich just for you to think like this. Starting right now, all of those years you’ve been as a shell… let’s bury them forever.” Tears soon streamed down Number Six’s face as he cried into Youngjae’s shoulder. It had been years since any sort of emotion was shown and finally after all this time, that mental wall was shattered as Number Six could finally let it all out.

“A-And… I want you to live with me. Please Number Six… stay.” Number Six’s eye widened considerably, staring up at him with the look of disbelief.

“B-but Youngjae, I am not worthy of your love… you’re the son of a well respected man and I’m nothing.” Quickly, Youngjae gave Number Six a peck on the cheek and whispered softly into his ear.

“Don’t worry. I’ll talk to my father. He may be cold blooded, but I am the only possible heir to his fortune. And even if he does disowns me… it’s okay because you’re worth it.” Number Six blushed.

“However, I shouldn’t call you Number Six anymore. Tell me, what’s your real name?” Cuddling closer together Number Six nodded.

“Alright. My name is… Daehyun.” Lifting Daehyun’s chin up, Youngjae smiled in delight.

“Daehyun… a beautiful name for a beautiful person.” And instantly they kissed each other lips passionately.

Looking on, Himchan smiled as Junhong sighed.

“Aw, it looks like he didn’t wear the gloves… Darn, and I put so much time and effort into make them.” Junhong said as he pouted. Himchan just laughed at the young boy beside him.

“Oh Junhongie, it wasn’t a waste of time.”

“What do you mean hyung?”

“It’s true that we make any piece of clothing that is desired, and in this case a pair of gloves. However, it is with their own two hands that in the end can shape their destiny. Come Junhong, let’s head back. I wonder who will walk through our doors next.”       

<3

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A/N: Thank you all for reading this little short fanfic~ I hope to make more in the future especially with their new album Noir <3