03;

Palpitations

Byun Baekhyuna jerk that seemingly to be popular and cheeky.


 

Byun Baekhyun couldn’t do anything as he softly touched his cheek after the girl was gone and Kim Junmyeon returned to play. Shaking their heads, Chanyeol and Jongdae kindly reached for him with muffled chuckles. The boy just hissed before giving small space on the bench he was sitting right now for his best friends to sit. He actually didn’t need any nagging for now, but being an angel as his role in this friendship, Chanyeol kind of nagged at him.

 

“Why would you do that? Don’t you know already that it would only piss her off? I really don’t get how your brain actually rolls, Baek. I thought you are smarter than this.” Chanyeol huffed before took over the ice from Jongdae’s hand and put it on his wound. The boy flinched in pain but Chanyeol remained motionless and just shook his head. “You picked wrong girl to mess around with.”

 

Jongdae nodded his head in agreement. “But seriously dude, tell us why would you do that? It’s not like you’re smitten by her for real right? She’s just a girl that mistaken your locker as Junmyeon hyung’s.”

 

Baekhyun noticed too, but there’s just something that forced him to do that. Maybe the way Kim Junmyeon smiled gently at her, or maybe the way Jung Eunji flushed and looked away to smile shyly because she couldn’t keep her heart beat normally. But if he responded with this, what would his best friends think of him?

 

“… But Baek,” Jongdae spoke up and Baekhyun raised his brow. “Why didn’t you tell Junmyeon hyung that she actually put the letter in wrong one?”

 

Baekhyun pushed Chanyeol away with a pout before he stood up and sighed, “It’s mine.” The way he pressed his tone caught his best friends off-guarded. “Intentionally or not, she still put the letter inside my locker, so it’s eventually mine. Why should I tell Junmyeon hyung about thing that is mine?”

 

His tone was so bitter and both of the boys could tell but they just shrugged it off and stood up as well, following Baekhyun that already walked off first. “I think he’s smitten already,” Chanyeol whispered in hushed tone. “… It’s been a while anyway after her right?”

 

Jongdae nodded eagerly. “But I never thought he would go for rude, harsh ones like that. Doesn’t he always chase the pretty, soft-hearted ones?”

 

Chanyeol shrugged. “Maybe he would like for a change?”

Eunji was beyond furious. She couldn’t believe what just happened today. How dare he! How dare that despicable human being did that to her! In front of her crush! “And what the hell with The One,” Eunji muttered under her breath and started to pace. She had to think of other ways to reach Kim Junmyeon without having disturbance anymore. Having one already caused headache, she didn’t need to have another one.

 

Then she paused, remembering that she slapped Byun Baekhyun. She recalled he blinked in pain before touched the trace she landed there. She remembered he was definitely surprised and of course didn’t expect someone small like her would have a tendency to slap him like that.

 

She didn’t even ask whether he’s okay or not, it was all happened too quick and all she remembered that she hurriedly left the scene before she embarrassed herself further in front of Kim Junmyeon.

 

Now she felt bad. Should she do something about it? Eunji started to bite off her nail before her phone beeped. She glanced at it and frowned, it was Bomi asking how it was going. She tossed it aside and fell on her bed.

 

“It wasn’t my fault entirely. It was his too. Who asked him to embrace me like that…, that er. He must have thought of himself so highly, to think that he just did that without thinking.”

 

She sounded so nonchalant but the reaction was so much different; she was struggling on her bed, couldn’t sleep at all. She pressed her blanket over her head, counted one to hundred, tried her best to sleep – but she just couldn’t.

 

She felt awful and she had no idea on how to make it fine.

Jung Eunji decided to go for junk food on convenient store. She was too hungry and she wasn’t in position to complain about anything. Her mother was out of town and she didn’t have much to order in, so the only rational answer for her starve was going to a store near her house and bought cup noodle and maybe instant kimchi or sausage to add the taste.

 

She was just few steps before entering the store when she saw something familiar, someone actually. It was the boy that disturbed her peace for few days; from what he was seen, the boy was holding a pack and pressed it on his face, and in front of him was a can of cola and cup noodle, with the same taste that she actually were craving for.

 

Eunji decided to just ignore the boy and went in for her groceries. He was at fault anyway, embarrassing her while he knew how actually she was feeling for Kim Junmyeon. Just because he was in pain right now, it would make her feel bad, no she wouldn’t—but…

 

Well she felt bad. Eunji sometimes wanted to erase this kind of feeling when it came to something like this, he was embarrassing the hell out of me! I wasn’t supposed to feel bad. He’s the jerk!!

 

But it didn’t stop Eunji from buying a pack of band-aid and a bar of chocolate, along with her cup noodle, instant kimchi, and sausage. She really, really wanted to erase her feelings. Maybe being emotionless was the best decision right now.

 

After she paid, she still saw him sitting outside, definitely backing her and didn’t notice that she would come.

 

Eunji took a seat across her, that caused the boy widened his eyes in surprise and he quickly covered for his cheeks. “OUCH.” Seemed like the boy forgot he was in pained state.

 

“Dummy,” Eunji hissed under her breath before moved to a seat next to him.

 

“What—what do you want from me?!” He was scared. “You slapped me already! See? It’s still red! My mom would be so furious! She would think I was playing around, breaking girl’s—okay this is undeniably awkward…,” Baekhyun was about to push his face to the back but he couldn’t, not when Eunji’s hand pressed the back of his head and brought his face close to hers; it was only about few centimeters away.

 

“Well, there’s no scar at least. It would disappear if you put ice for a day.” Eunji pulled her face away and then grinned thinly. “I’m sorry, I was embarrassed. You were kind of humiliating me in front of Kim Junmyeon sunbaenim okay,”

 

“In what way I humiliated you? I just introduced you to him!” Baekhyun raised a pitch of his tone.

 

“You said I could be you’re The One! What is that supposed to mean? You know I like him!” Eunji retorted with the same high pitch. “It’s embarrassing, in front of him, in front of your friends as well!”

 

Baekhyun stilled, “Okay. You are right, I was too much. I’m sorry too. I was just…” Baekhyun gazed at her and when she gazed back confusedly, he looked away. “… nothing.”

 

Because how could he tell her that he actually was a little pissed off, since Kim Junmyeon rarely remembered anyone, any girls that came and hit on him? He rarely did that, so Baekhyun really could tell there’s something wrong with Junmyeon when he could remember her.

 

Baekhyun didn’t want Junmyeon to outsmart him, not for twice. One was enough bad story, he didn’t need this person in front of him to be another living proof that Baekhyun couldn’t win the girl’s heart that actually races for Kim Junmyeon.

 

“Do you want some?” Eunji knocked him out of his reverie. She put a bar of chocolate in front of him. “Do you like peanut?” she asked. “Because I like peanut,”

 

“So you bought this for me, expecting that I would share some with you?” Baekhyun asked teasingly. The girl just made a face at him and now the throbbing pain way lessened. He could create a small smile that was enough to make the girl smiled back.

 

It didn’t take awhile – exactly only fifteen minutes for them to melt down the ice and burst out in laughter for Baekhyun’s lame jokes and Eunji’s funny faces. The boy turned out to have lots to tell and Eunji was a quite good listener and could respond to any of his stories with same excitement.

 

An hour after their food finished, including the chocolate that only eaten two bars by Baekhyun and Eunji finished the rest – insert Baekhyun’s smile here – the boy decided it’s the right time for them to go home.

 

“Where’s your house?” he asked. “Do you live nearby?” he asked as he stood up, Eunji watched him intently, afraid he might lose his balance because the pain – where’s the relation again? “Come on, let me walk you home.”

 

“Um we actually just moved in few weeks before I went to school. Before we lived in Busan, but since my father’s job asked him to move to Seoul, so we moved here.” Eunji explained, although it wasn’t related to his question.

 

“Oh I see, but your accent is not that thick—not like what I saw in Reply.” Baekhyun answered and the girl smiled at him.

 

“Because I used to live here before we went to Busan. But I could do Busan’s accent if you want me too.” Eunji said and then spoke some words in Busan dialect, that caused Baekhyun smiled in amusement.

 

“To answer your earlier retort…, so you lived in this neighborhood before you moved away?” Baekhyun looked around the houses.

 

“We used to live in an apartment, until recently we moved to my granny’s house after she passed away. And thinking there’s no disadvantage from it, we decided to sell our old house and moved here.”

 

This caught Baekhyun off-guard. He halted and turned his head to see Eunji fully. “Wait. Don’t tell me…, it’s Granny Lee?”

 

“Oh you know her?” Eunji smiled motherly. “She was my mother’s mother, and since my mother is the only child, my father suggested to move here, thinking it was her last request to fulfill.” Eunji then frowned seeing Baekhyun heaved a sigh. “Why, do you know my grandma?”

 

“Not just know her…,” he trailed off, didn’t say a word until he walked her right to her home, that caused Eunji to surprise.

 

“How… do you…” Eunji couldn’t finish her question because she too seemed to understand this game plan.

 

“We also happened to be neighbors.” Baekhyun pointed a house that was right across hers. Baekhyun shrugged and let out his right hand, “Well hello there, I’m Byun Baekhyun. Your neighbor that happened to be your upperclassman, and who knows… I could happen to be you’re The One as well.” with a super wide, meaningful smile that no one but him could tell the meaning.

 

Eunji couldn’t help but smiling as well. She reached for his hand and replied with an amused grin. “Well hello there, I’m Jung Eunji. It’s an honor to be your neighbor.”

 

“Maybe we are really destined to be The One for each other…,” Baekhyun said in teasing tone.

 

“Said it one more time and I’d end you.” Eunji threatened, but with a smile.

 

“Just saying~~” the boy replied cheekily.

 

 


18.09.2016

are you (still) patient with me? hehe.

happy reading everyone~